FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for the Autumn games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales Squad for the Autumn games
    Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:19pm
He’s building for the 6 Nations and World Cup and testing returner players like Cuthbert who has matured in England Premiership  seems sensible to me . More spread of depth at all ages the better 
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 2:21pm
Adams at 15 is not a bad shout but who are your wingers jonny mac and lrz? Or would you play lane? Holmes is a good player Abd covers all of the back 3 , cuthbert is a wing and wing only, pivac selections are puzzling at times
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

What do fellow posters think about the selection of Cuthbert ahead of Jonah Holmes to join up with the squad? Seems like Pivac just doesn't rate Holmes who must be wondering why he left Leicester. Its made all the more strange when you consider the full back situation - no Liam, no Halfpenny, no Amos and the squad is left with Johnny as our only player resembling a 15. I use the word resembling not as a slur to Johnny but in the knowledge that his best position is wing. I have seen him play for the Scarlets too many times at 15 when his work in defence & under the high ball make me shudder. 
He’s not a natural 15 but I’d be tempted to select Josh Adams at 15.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 1:27pm
What do fellow posters think about the selection of Cuthbert ahead of Jonah Holmes to join up with the squad? Seems like Pivac just doesn't rate Holmes who must be wondering why he left Leicester. Its made all the more strange when you consider the full back situation - no Liam, no Halfpenny, no Amos and the squad is left with Johnny as our only player resembling a 15. I use the word resembling not as a slur to Johnny but in the knowledge that his best position is wing. I have seen him play for the Scarlets too many times at 15 when his work in defence & under the high ball make me shudder. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2021 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

The WRU have invested too much publicity in the Carre and Lewis project not to get them chosen now. The new age prop who is mobile and can play like a backrow is what they wanted at the cost of their only real job on the pitch- to hold up the scrum. I think you could choose any regional prop ahead of carre snd lewis if you were honest.

You are probably correct but I do worry if they both get exposed to the Boks scrum - either the starting props or the bench - it won't be pretty!!!!!!
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2021 at 9:06am
The WRU have invested too much publicity in the Carre and Lewis project not to get them chosen now. The new age prop who is mobile and can play like a backrow is what they wanted at the cost of their only real job on the pitch- to hold up the scrum. I think you could choose any regional prop ahead of carre snd lewis if you were honest.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2021 at 8:56am
Following on from my comments above it appears that Wyn & Francis came through OK. Our resources at front row look pretty thin to me with Wyn, Ken & Francis a decent starting row but after that it is looking ominous. Rhodri Jones would be my bench LH but at 2 & 3 I am struggling. Samson really should be there as should Rob Evans because Carre, Dillon Lewis, Dee, Ryan & WGJ don't fill me with confidence. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2021 at 9:46am
Rather ominous signs for Wales ahead of the Autumn fixtures. 6 of the Welsh forwards played for the Dragons last night & they were gradually overpowered by the Stormers who didn't feature any Bok forwards. More worryingly for Dean Ryan is that his scrum was going backwards against a scrum which featured a 36 year old former Dragon stalwart Brok Harris. 

I appreciate that of that 6 probably only 2 will start with possibly a further 2/3 on the bench but the signs are there. It will be very interesting to see how the all Welsh squad front row goes today in Dublin against an all Ireland front row. Parity at scrum & lineout will be the minimum Pivac requires if he is to stay in the games against both NZ & the Boks. My view is that Pivac will have everything crossed that Wyn & Francis come through the weekend unscathed as the back up available is not at the same level. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2021 at 10:17pm
Saw this on twitter. Succinct and perfectly put. 

“Wales' 4 pro sides won't have their Wales players for URC Rnd 5 - they'll be preparing to face NZ - a match in which Wales won't have players based in Eng available.

Welsh rugby in a nutshell. Broken governance means none of the 5 sides being able to select their best players.”
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2021 at 6:34pm
Im glad theres no favouritism towards the cardiff pack££.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2021 at 4:50pm
Why is Thomas Young in there? He won’t be available for the training and while I can understand making exemptions to the 60 cap rule if we’re incredibly desperate in a position, 7 isn’t one of those positions. In fact, I’d choose Jac Morgan above Young even if both were available for the same amount of training, and the decision of Pivac not to do so looks unfathomable. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Pivac to win against New Zealand and solidify his status as the best coach in the world. 

I'll have one of whatever you are drinkingSmile
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:33pm
Pivac to win against New Zealand and solidify his status as the best coach in the world. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:26pm

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

My opinion is that this Autumn campaign is when the chickens come home to roost for a Welsh squad which has punched way above its weight in recent years.

What does that look like tho GPR?

Losing by 40 point vs the ABs?
Losing by 30 vs SA/Aus?
Losing to Fiji?

Gatland had kept scores close to SA/Aus but was regularly hammered by the ABs, then there was a time when Wales lost 4 in the Autumn. 

I agree, a disaster is possible, but even if they win 2/4 or 1/4 with no spankings it could be deemed progress on what Gatland achieved in the Autumn.

I can't see them winning more than 1. Well Gats did get us to compete with Australia & the Boks. We have very rarely troubled NZ. Perhaps I am being pessimistic because of the generally poor state of our regions but the 3 big games are against battle hardened teams while most of our squad is lacking gametime/form or both. 

I can’t see us getting near the ABs but I think the return of Faletau, Biggar, LRZ makes our match-day 23 that bit more competitive, and thus I think us against the Boks and Aus will be close for one or both. 

Remember this Pivac welsh team scored more tries in the 6N than anyone else ever. Vs the Southern Hemisphere teams you have to score tries to win and that’s what Gatland never got his teams doing
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:23pm
Rotten.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

If I was Rob Evans or Nicki Smith and the Welsh coach thought Carre was better than me I would retire from international rugby. Holmes not being picked is ridiculous. Far too many players from the Scarlets not enough from the Ospreys how will that look to other regions 

Yes but have you seen how much Carre can bench press LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic