FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 247>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News
    Posted: 5 hours 35 minutes ago at 2:05pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The pyramid is only as strong As it’s base, we need strong grass roots, then strong pro game that will then lead to
A strong test team. At present a strong test team is seen as the be all and all of the game in wales
a poor autumn series and 6 nations will put the cat amongst the pigeons big time,the complacency and awful treatment of reions and grass roots is because the wru are complacent because of the success under gatland a few losses to lower nations could see us back being able to buy tickets in tesco like the late 80's.

Have said it on here multiple times. 

The system is too top heavy, Rugby Union in Wales is two poor back-to-back Six Nations seasons away from being unsalvageable.

The WRU can rightly say “national game generates 80%+ revenue for rugby in Wales, so that must be the focus” but if there’s a oak tree in your garden that gets 80% of all the sunlight it’s hard for anything else to grow. 

One day that oak tree gets a disease and you wish you’d let some sunlight in for the other plants to grow
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 43 minutes ago at 1:57pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I am not really bothered by who is the best team in Wales at the moment - it certainly isn't us. 

Don’t we have the highest salary spend?

I’m behind the new regime, Peel needs time to bed in. But if we’re consistently NOT the best side, as we haven’t been since Pivac’s final season, won’t we then have our budget decreased by WRU..? 

Is that how it works? 
No it’s not how it works. Scarlets are an independent business. They money they receive from the WRU isn’t funding its payment for the services of their players. Funding is based on the amount of players you provide for the national cause.

Cheers, so breeding successful national players is what leads to bigger budgets for the regions. 

From then on the income is TV revenue, gate receipts, sponsors merchandise etc.

Edited by dyniol53 - 5 hours 42 minutes ago at 1:58pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 3 minutes ago at 1:37pm

I am not really bothered by who is the best team in Wales at the moment - it certainly isn't us. 

I’m behind the new regime, Peel needs time to bed in. But if we’re consistently NOT the best side, as we haven’t been since Pivac’s final season, won’t we then have our budget decreased by WRU..? 

Is that how it works? 
No it’s not how it works. Scarlets are an independent business. They money they receive from the WRU isn’t funding its payment for the services of their players. Funding is based on the amount of players you provide for the national cause.
i thought it was based on various things players provided to the national squad being just one of them? Btw if the wru are paying 80 per cent of a players salary are they our players or theirs?

Edited by RR1972 - 5 hours 50 minutes ago at 1:50pm
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 15 minutes ago at 1:25pm

If we hadn’t built PyS we would already be gone
totally agree and for as much as the benefactors and board have done over the years to keep us going the cynical side me thinks that they have reached the stage now that the lack of proper investment in the squad is because should we go down to east and west then it's pretty certain that west would be based at the parc.

If we also had a powerful well funded  semi pro Llanelli RFC here.  ( and a stronger Welsh Premiership ) underpinning an East and West Wales franchise that would be more palatable to me if not others. The hard financial facts are clearer than ever that 4 regions in Wales is unsustainable to regularly compete at a decent level in the U.K. and Europe - it’s over to Welsh rugby bosses and WRU to sort it !! 🤔🙏
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 22 minutes ago at 1:18pm

Is that how it works? 

We have been through the period where we had large representation so the funding edge we had has been badly eroded by Covid. We have 10 at the moment with 2 of those surely nearing the end of their involvement. Tellingly we have no back 5 player in the squad. Ryan Elias & Hardy are in the squad rather fortuitously in my opinion so the current trend is looking a little ominous. 

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 31 minutes ago at 1:09pm

Is that how it works? 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 51 minutes ago at 12:49pm

The pyramid is only as strong As it’s base, we need strong grass roots, then strong pro game that will then lead to
A strong test team. At present a strong test team is seen as the be all and all of the game in wales
a poor autumn series and 6 nations will put the cat amongst the pigeons big time,the complacency and awful treatment of reions and grass roots is because the wru are complacent because of the success under gatland a few losses to lower nations could see us back being able to buy tickets in tesco like the late 80's.
6 nations will always sell out. It’s basically a big party day now. It looks inevitable we will cull a region or 2 in the next few years

Edited by RR1972 - 6 hours 39 minutes ago at 1:01pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 54 minutes ago at 12:46pm

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 59 minutes ago at 12:41pm
A strong test team. At present a strong test team is seen as the be all and all of the game in wales.  As much as the regions need funding so does youth and schools rugby. If they dry up the regions will falter to. Short term we need to improve each region at first team level (playing and coaching) long term its schools , age group , college and academy level that need to be invested in. My only concern with giving the regions all the money is they would be tempted to invest too much in the short term to try and gain instant success . There must be long term planning involved not just buy 3 top nwq players and try to win a cup or a leauge

Edited by RR1972 - 6 hours 52 minutes ago at 12:48pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 60 minutes ago at 12:40pm

totally agree and for as much as the benefactors and board have done over the years to keep us going the cynical side me thinks that they have reached the stage now that the lack of proper investment in the squad is because should we go down to east and west then it's pretty certain that west would be based at the parc.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 23 minutes ago at 12:17pm

Quite possibly. I am in favour of something far more drastic but i don't think the regions/clubs have the stomach for it. The top down model from the WRU to the clubs isn't & has never worked. Non rugby men like Phillips and an ex B&Q executive will never be able to run an effective system. All 4 regions should take back total control of the players in the professional game. All income previously paid to the WRU should be paid to a professional rugby board made up of the four regional chairmen along with a CEO appointed independently who is an expert in media/entertainment. 

The WRU should be totally slimmed down and work on behalf of grass roots rugby, the Women's game & the age group teams from a budget agreed with the above new board. The Welsh national team coaches, strength & conditioning etc would be directly employed by the new board & release of players for the national team would be decided by this board including the cost involved as re-imbursement to the individual regions.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 35 minutes ago at 12:05pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 37 minutes ago at 12:03pm

Is that how it works? 

I don't profess to understand the rules Dyniol - is it not linked to how many you supply to the National squad. Having 12/13 in the squad last season didn't do us any favours on the pitch thats for sure. It does seem like, if the relationship with the WRU stays the same, that there will never be enough cash to fully finance 4 competitive teams. At least one team may have to be sacrificed which would probably equate to another couple of million for the remaining 3. Million dollar question - which one goes??? 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 44 minutes ago at 11:56am

Is that how it works? 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 41 minutes ago at 7:59am
I am not really bothered by who is the best team in Wales at the moment - it certainly isn't us. If we don't get our pack sorted then both the Dragons & Ospreys fully loaded will give us huge issues. Indeed even Cardiff last weekend, renowned for being lightweight up front, produced a really strong series of defensive sets close to their line which I am afraid we could never have done. 

The Ospreys result against Munster will give us all some idea but only some as they will travel minus their best pack. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 54 minutes ago at 11:46pm
Yes they did they ate improving but they now lose 6 forwaeds to wales. I don’t think they have the squad depth to cope with that tbh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 247>
  Share Topic