Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 332333334335336 445>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Welsh Rugby is a joke at the moment we are rightly the laughing stock of world rugby ( and that’s just on the pitch ) it gets a lot worse when it comes to the WRU and how that’s run.

With Will Rowlands he’s the classic case of being English until he realised that he would never get English caps then became Welsh at 29 years of age. 

As Rugby players have a relatively short career earring the big bucks ( don’t know how much he will be on I’d guess between £100,000 to £200,000 ???? ) I don’t blame him to find the best offer on the table which includes job security, he’s probs got another 4 seasons max to try to set himself up for life.

If we as regions lose players because the WRU can’t pull their fingers out their bums and figure out budgets then heads need to roll, regions need to know how much is in the kitty for the start of next season before this season start. If the people at the WRU don’t know this they need to go.

Everybody the WRU employs needs to be an expert in their field ( ie finance)  with a love of Welsh Rugby 

Whilst I have sympathy for all Welsh based players, who dont know whether they will have a contract next season. Rowlands does have a WRU contract to the end of the World Cup, ie October 2023, so he is not in imminent danger of not being able to pay his mortgage. Lets be honest how many of us can be confident that we will continue to be paid for the next 11 months?
If he signs for a team outside Wales from the start of next season, under current rules he wont be selected to go to the World Cup with Wales and will miss out on the tournament bonus which was circa £100k per player last time. 
Bearing this in mind, he is unlikely to get an offer from the struggling English sides which would beat the WRU offer by more than £100k, so for me, this is just his agent trying to justify his fee.

I think that may be  questionable. I don't think he has a contract with the WRU beyond his contract with the Dragons which runs until end of May/June. Equally I cannot comment on the bonus situation amount but we did reach the semis last time out and Welsh rugby finances are on their knees post covid so I cannot see in any way, shape or form total bonuses being offered in 2023 running into the millions. 

Its my understanding that current WRU joint player contracts include the World Cup at the start of next season, so run to October instead of May/June. 
All players at the World Cup get additional payments as it is a professional game and they all get paid for playing. One thing I can be sure if is that if they don't get paid for playing at the World Cup then they wont play! 
In the last World Cup Welsh players were payed circa £100k, many other nations players were paid a lot more, but I fully expect payments for Welsh players to be close to that figure next year.

I have just read that his contract expires with the Dragons in May/June. For him to be able to play at France 2023 his next contract must not commence until the tournament ends. Walker is saying he was offered a one year extension last year but Rowlands rejected it because he was not happy with the offer. Apparently Racing 92 are now in the running so that could be curtains with a contract starting after the world cup. 

As for the payments to Welsh players are you suggesting that they could go to France 2023, play 4 games, get knocked out at the pool stage & be paid £100k each??? I would find that pretty remarkable given the current state of Welsh rugby. Even the English only pay around £15k per game & they are the richest Union. 

What I am saying is that in the last World Cup the welsh players received circa £100k each, the English players received a considerably more.
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 6:55pm
Welsh rugby is completely knackered how the hell are the regions supposed to plan. If we stuck with same squad next year we may as well not bother. I can’t believe what is being allowed to happen they have got the regions by the balls but what really pisses me off however is the regions are saying nothing they should be shouting from the rooftop’s ,everyday, what the inept corrupt arseholes at the WRU are doing. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Welsh rugby is completely knackered how the hell are the regions supposed to plan. If we stuck with same squad next year we may as well not bother. I can’t believe what is being allowed to happen they have got the regions by the balls but what really pisses me off however is the regions are saying nothing they should be shouting from the rooftop’s ,everyday, what the inept corrupt arseholes at the WRU are doing. 

I honestly believe that the WRU is taking advantage of the perilous position the regions are in, post COVID, to force them into accepting a very poor settlement. What a contract to the Irish who have a genuine partnership with their professional sides.
Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 11:57pm
The situation in Ireland is that twenty years ago the IRFU realised that they needed strong provincial sides so that The Ireland XV we’re strong enough to attract the best sides to come to play in Dublin. The Irish XV is the goose that lays the golden eggs that keep the provinces strong.
In turn the strong provincial branch committees keep the IRFU on the straight and narrow as well as being aware of where their finances come from.
I know that previously the branch got say X £ from Dublin which they had to pay back from their gate revenue and when the target was reached the surplus was the branch’s to keep minus a percentage that went back to central funds,.
Landsowne Road was transformed into the Aviva through the IRFU  providing the grounds, a contribution from the FAI, a grant from the Irish government ( recognising how much international Rugby and Soccer games generated for the Irish/ Dublin economy) ,by selling Ten year debentures and finally selling the naming rights to Aviva. This meant that Aviva Staduim was virtually debt free before a ball was kicked there. Also without a roof but with a good pitch. The IRFU and FAi have a joint  management organisation for  the stadium with profits coming back to them both.
Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 12:08am
Don’t be misled into thinking the IRFU are a charitable institute they are far from it and are notoriously tight with their money but also not scared to spend if they can see a good return. There is prize and gate money coming in if provinces participate in play offs and finals in both the URC and in the EPCR although probably not as much as the PRL suggested when they forced through the deal whereby Hienekin came back as the sponsors for less money.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 5:59am
These are great points Airdaa, thanks...on reading them I don't truly understand the model ( not that I need to), but what strikes me is how the IRFU realized that for them to thrive they needed strong provinces. A balance if you like.

Secondly is how there are multiple stakeholders involved all working to the same goal. This is crucial in ensuring huge capital outlays don't lay at the door of one entity (like the Aviva).

Sadly I don't think we can course correct any more in Wales.
With all the regional funding ( TV etc) channeled through the WRU, and the WRU borrowing is fixed against that inflated turnover, we are done.
Added to that is when we do get a windfall (like the CVC money for the 6N rights)) the WRU diverted it to build hotels etc (just to service the debt not push back in to the game).

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 6:57am
Ulster scrum half John Cooney is reportedly interested in switching his international allegiance to Scotland & could represent them at the upcoming Rugby World Cup. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 10:43am
There's a few like that actually.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 7:30pm
Airdaa,

You’re a good and almost without exception balanced poster, from my point of view.

Today’s posts just remind me of the envy I have that you can post such facts.

Of the folk that put the IRFU on this course, going back in time, how many of the board had goos, sound business experience and how many were just aboard the gravy train by (almost) accident?

While the ”grass is always greener on your neighbour’s lawn” is a well known, slightly adapted, saying and even though it’s difficult to have grass that’s greener than in the Emerald Isle, I’d love an ounce or two of the nous displayed at that critical time to find a way to be infused into those aboard the seats of power in the WRU.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 01 December 2022 at 7:30pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 8:09pm
The Irish are always one step ahead in the running of the game, us Welsh are too interested in fighting amongst ourselves to achieve anything.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Ulster scrum half John Cooney is reportedly interested in switching his international allegiance to Scotland & could represent them at the upcoming Rugby World Cup. 
Shingler is eligible after the 6N I believe. Don’t see it happening, but it’s possible.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Shingler is eligible after the 6N I believe. Don’t see it happening, but it’s possible.
That’ll be Aaron, I guess.

Don’t rule out Steven either Wink
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2022 at 7:44am
Lozowski to Italy?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2022 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

There's a few like that actually.
is scott eligible for any other nations?
Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2022 at 12:05pm
If you are interested you can here directly from John Cooney what his take on the situation is on”the Ulster Rugby Programme on BBC 2 N.Ireland on the I player when he is interviewed by Tommy Bowe and Rory Best .before anyone complains yes the programme is biased towards Ulster as it is for a local Ulster audience.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Airdaa Airdaa wrote:

If you are interested you can here directly from John Cooney what his take on the situation is on”the Ulster Rugby Programme on BBC 2 N.Ireland on the I player when he is interviewed by Tommy Bowe and Rory Best .before anyone complains yes the programme is biased towards Ulster as it is for a local Ulster audience.

We expect nothing more from our friends in Belfast - it would make it a little more palatable if the bias was restricted to players & supporters.Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 332333334335336 445>
  Share Topic