Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racism and sectarianism in Scottish football

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racism and sectarianism in Scottish football
    Posted: 11 June 2013 at 6:26pm
The Scottish football teams have voted against stricter regulations to combat racism and sectarianism. They claim that the current regulations are fine but the Scottish FA point out that there have not been any successful prosecutions in a country where overt sectarianism in football is rife. Currently, there is a get-out clause as the teams say they have taken all reasonable steps to stop sectarianism but they then don't really have to tackle the issue and by rejecting this initiative they are tolerating the chants etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22853305

Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 6:53pm
Sectarianism in Scotland (in it's common usage applied to Catholism v. Protestantism divides) is one of the most difficult things for me to understand as a devout and practicing atheist.

This is akin to two people arguing over their mutual imaginary friend having brown eyes or blue.

Everyone knows they're Scarlet mun. Wink
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 9:16pm
Religion has a lot to answer for. It's the cause of so many problems in the world. Where's almighty god when all of the monstrosities and death is going on?
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Religion has a lot to answer for. It's the cause of so many problems in the world. Where's almighty god when all of the monstrosities and death is going on?

TBH SA14, I'd rather people killed each other over things I don't believe in rather than things I do.

"Are you willing to die for your beliefs? Yes? Well, at least we can agree on that."
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

The Scottish football teams have voted against stricter regulations to combat racism and sectarianism. They claim that the current regulations are fine but the Scottish FA point out that there have not been any successful prosecutions in a country where overt sectarianism in football is rife. Currently, there is a get-out clause as the teams say they have taken all reasonable steps to stop sectarianism but they then don't really have to tackle the issue and by rejecting this initiative they are tolerating the chants etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22853305

Good luck to them. This has been going on for ages - many moons ago, there was an excellent TV drama called 'Just Another Saturday', which dealt with so-called 'hard men' beating the crap out of one another in Glasgow.

(... the director John Mackenzie began enquiring after the script of Just Another Saturday and managed to get the play into production, only to then find the piece banned after the head of the Glasgow police said that the script would cause "bloodshed on the streets in the making and in the showing". After a year Mackenzie managed to persuade the Head of BBC Television Alasdair Milne to press ahead with the play, although some scenes were eventually filmed in Edinburgh to minimise controversy. - from Wikipedia)

Of course, the situation in NI is even worse (I was there 1971-74 - strange days). Did any of you catch the sectarian undercurrent in 'The Falls', which has just finished on BBC1?

It's a pity the SFA haven't taken any initiative. The situation isn't helped by characters like the Celtic manager Neil Lennon, who is about as 'in your face' a republican as you can get (He's a NI Catholic) - he's received a number of death threats, totally unacceptable, but he does provoke strong reactions.

(I've mentioned Lennon because he's well known - I'm sure there are some equally provocative characters on the Protestant side.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic