Who is the best welsh coach right now?

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: RUGBY
Forum Name: GENERAL RUGBY
Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46833
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 6:56pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who is the best welsh coach right now?
Posted By: RR1972
Subject: Who is the best welsh coach right now?
Date Posted: 02 August 2022 at 8:42pm
The old guard of dai young lyn and kinglsey jones are falling from grace. Jonathan thomas flopped as head coach, the age group guys like nothing special , flannigan looks bang average to me. Tandy and mark jones are re inventing themselves well,howley has a lot of ground to make up peel is showing glimpses especially in attack but still lots to improve on. The much maligned mcbryde is now being touted by the crusaders head coach , and is well thought of by gats edwards and cullen. Imo
He is the stand out welsh coach but it’s not a high bar (sadly) although i hear a lot of good things about gethin jenkins and he could well move up the ranks quickly

Replies:
Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 02 August 2022 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The much maligned mcbryde is now being touted by the crusaders head coach , and is well thought of by gats edwards and cullen. Imo
He is the stand out welsh coach but it’s not a high bar (sadly)

Rising tide at Leinster lifts all boats. Hard to tell who is and isn’t good there. Stuart Lancaster seemed to make a big difference but then they were top of the tree before he arrived too. 

There’s an S&C guy at the Springboks, now at Tigers, Aled Walters. That’s not a bad last 3 years on his CV. 

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 7:12am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

The much maligned mcbryde is now being touted by the crusaders head coach , and is well thought of by gats edwards and cullen. Imo
He is the stand out welsh coach but it’s not a high bar (sadly)

Rising tide at Leinster lifts all boats. Hard to tell who is and isn’t good there. Stuart Lancaster seemed to make a big difference but then they were top of the tree before he arrived too. 

There’s an S&C guy at the Springboks, now at Tigers, Aled Walters. That’s not a bad last 3 years on his CV. 

McBryde did a very good job with the Welsh pack over a number of years so I don't see his Leinster stint as unexpected. Walters is a good shout - very understated but clearly gets his message across. In all honesty we are struggling at all levels. If they haven't already opened negotiations with Robertson the WRU are in danger of missing the boat. 

Posted By: Kentexile
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 7:12am
Adam Jones seems to be well respected as a scrum coach.

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

Adam Jones seems to be well respected as a scrum coach.
yes forgot him tbh and not heard of this s and c guy

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 9:15am
Neil Jenkins has had a decent coaching career, albeit in a fairly niche role, Humphries has done pretty well as has Stevo.

Lot of people Gareth Jenkins coached have coached at international level both with Wales and other countries.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 9:30am
I'm waiting for the mark orders feature about the young programme seller at the liberty being earmarked as a future welsh coach.

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 9:55am
So the welsh dream team coaching set up so far us.  Forwards mcbryde, defence gethin, attack peel or jones , kicking jenkins, scrum adam and s &c walters.  Just need a head coach now!

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 9:56am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I'm waiting for the mark orders feature about the young programme seller at the liberty being earmarked as a future welsh coach.
a list of the top ten ballboys is more his thing lately

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 9:58am

a list of the top ten ballboys is more his thing lately
With one of them being chased by a host of english clubs LOL

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 1:04pm
Im not overly convinced with Gethin as defence coach. In the 6nations we were shocking, yet after the appointment of Gareth Willuams on a short term contract for the SA tour, our defence improved. Conincidence? Im not sure.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 1:30pm
It's Robin McBryde, isn't it?

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Im not overly convinced with Gethin as defence coach. In the 6nations we were shocking, yet after the appointment of Gareth Willuams on a short term contract for the SA tour, our defence improved. Conincidence? Im not sure.
Gareth Williams wasn’t on a short term contract he was Wales assistant for over a year. 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Gareth Williams wasn’t on a short term contract he was Wales assistant for over a year. 

It may be women game but, it will be interesting to see how Ioan Cunningham gets on with the Welsh women team over the next year or so getting them professionalised . I should think it could be really satisfying to get them fully attuned.

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 2:16pm
I like ioan has the look of a decent coach about him. Is there any one pulling up trees in the welsh prem? This is a poor era for welsh coaches on the whole

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 2:17pm

don’t think he coaches defence? Could be wrong mind but i don’t see gethin deferring to williams. Also we still coughed up 30 points in two tests in sa so maybe gethin isn’t all that!

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 2:44pm

don’t think he coaches defence? Could be wrong mind but i don’t see gethin deferring to williams. Also we still coughed up 30 points in two tests in sa so maybe gethin isn’t all that!
The Wales defence was outstanding in South Africa. It allowed them to be competitive 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 4:05pm
It also shipped 62 points in two tests factWink

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 5:16pm

It also shipped 62 points in two tests factWink
South Africa score on average 29 points a test. Let’s put it into context 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 5:28pm
I thought we did well tbh. Just showing for all that we still gave up 30 points in two tests. As well as ireland did they coughed up 40 plus points in 1 test. Modern rugby is high scoring

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 6:38pm

I thought we did well tbh. Just showing for all that we still gave up 30 points in two tests. As well as ireland did they coughed up 40 plus points in 1 test. Modern rugby is high scoring
Just think of the 6-3 wins from the past in the mud. How did we not find it boring! 😉 Such a different game now with losers often scoring 15-20 points and losing. 

Date Posted: 03 August 2022 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Just think of the 6-3 wins from the past in the mud. How did we not find it boring! 😉 Such a different game now with losers often scoring 15-20 points and losing. 
i miss the old mud bath low scoring slug fests pitches today are too good, kits too tight and balls too water proofOuch

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 6:56am
Tommy Reffell will improve our defensive performances single handedly. Quick attacking ruck ball is manna from heaven for attacking teams so his performances in slowing down the opposition was the single main fact why we looked comfortable most of the time. The 1st test we shipped loads of points when down to 12/13 which is understandable. At 17-14 we were well in the final test but then we blew up. 

Gethin is doing ok - Shaun he ain't. Lets not forget what Ireland did with us last 6 nations which they also did to NZ. The only thing which saved NZ from a real tonking in the 3rd test was their fantastic scramble defence. Modern day 7's are now the focus mainly for their defensive work which is why Sam Cane is coming under increasing pressure. 

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Tommy Reffell will improve our defensive performances single handedly. Quick attacking ruck ball is manna from heaven for attacking teams so his performances in slowing down the opposition was the single main fact why we looked comfortable most of the time. The 1st test we shipped loads of points when down to 12/13 which is understandable. At 17-14 we were well in the final test but then we blew up. 

Gethin is doing ok - Shaun he ain't. Lets not forget what Ireland did with us last 6 nations which they also did to NZ. The only thing which saved NZ from a real tonking in the 3rd test was their fantastic scramble defence. Modern day 7's are now the focus mainly for their defensive work which is why Sam Cane is coming under increasing pressure. 
Gethin is still learning. Wales had worse hidings in Dublin under Gatland. 2014 anyone? Also there were loads of tests under Edwards where our defence was garbage but people don’t want to remember that. I remember 2 tests against Australia, one in 2010 and one in 2017, where our defence was non existent. He’s a world class defence coach but sometimes we do look back with rose tinted spectacles 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 8:49am

Gethin is still learning. Wales had worse hidings in Dublin under Gatland. 2014 anyone? Also there were loads of tests under Edwards where our defence was garbage but people don’t want to remember that. I remember 2 tests against Australia, one in 2010 and one in 2017, where our defence was non existent. He’s a world class defence coach but sometimes we do look back with rose tinted spectacles 

For sure Gethin is still learning but to conclude that 2014 was a bigger hammering than 2022 is rather missing a point - 2014 2 tries conceded, 2022 4 tries conceded. Shaun Edwards would be the top of my list for defence coach full stop; more relevant he would be the top of most Rugby boards list as well. What I would say in Gethin's defence is that he is working without huge stalwarts defensively available to Edwards in Foxy & Jamie Roberts. In addition he has received massive votes of confidence from Edwards himself which suggest that Wales may the right guy. 

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 8:59am
Edwsrds is the beat defence coach in the world pivac let him go to replave him with haywardWinkWink. Jenkins wil be fine imo you raise a good point re slowing down breakdown ball. Nlow my query is this lydiate is a great tackler but offers nothing with ball in hand or at the breakdown, reffell great at breakdown not much in attack. Can we pick two non footballers at flanker or do we mix and match eh reffel and tuoric or reffell and a carriier/jackler eg naividi? I’d also like to see nicky smith in the 23 he is good at the breakdown do we have any locks with a beirne skill set? Does any one!

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 9:28am

Edwsrds is the beat defence coach in the world pivac let him go to replave him with haywardWinkWink. Jenkins wil be fine imo you raise a good point re slowing down breakdown ball. Nlow my query is this lydiate is a great tackler but offers nothing with ball in hand or at the breakdown, reffell great at breakdown not much in attack. Can we pick two non footballers at flanker or do we mix and match eh reffel and tuoric or reffell and a carriier/jackler eg naividi? I’d also like to see nicky smith in the 23 he is good at the breakdown do we have any locks with a beirne skill set? Does any one!
Your first comment about Pivac letting him go is totally inaccurate. He wanted to keep him. Shaun has been very disingenuous about this. Look at the way he treated his home town club Wigan. He made them look like mugs

-------------

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 9:57am
My comment is right we offered him 2 years france offered him 4. No wonder he said shove it i’m off to france. Look how that has worked out grand slam champs and world cup faves, best move he made tbh

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:06am

My comment is right we offered him 2 years france offered him 4. No wonder he said shove it i’m off to france. Look how that has worked out grand slam champs and world cup faves, best move he made tbh
No it’s not right because you said he chose Hayward over Edwards which isn’t true. Thoughts on how he treated Wigan?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:17am
I’m a st helens fan  always liked then since jonny griff went there i’m glad he shafted themWinkWink

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:37am

No it’s not right because you said he chose Hayward over Edwards which isn’t true. Thoughts on how he treated Wigan?

Perhaps Wigan should have got him to sign a contract. Plenty of instances where coaches change their mind. Don't expect Dai Young is too enamoured with Dwayne Peel but as Shaun would now say c'est la vie!!!!! ( Eastern Outpost eat your heart out).

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 2:37pm

Perhaps Wigan should have got him to sign a contract. Plenty of instances where coaches change their mind. Don't expect Dai Young is too enamoured with Dwayne Peel but as Shaun would now say c'est la vie!!!!! ( Eastern Outpost eat your heart out).
Just back from a lovely morning in St Emilion, guided tour, wine tasting, superb scenery there and back ending with an excellent 3 course lunch for a measly €18 a head in a pleasantly shaded terrace overlooking a beautiful garden. 

For the moment, I’ve done all the eating I can Wink

Ask me again in a couple of hours though LOL

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 2:48pm
Based on achievements the best current Welsh coach is probably McBryde when you look at what he's done with Wales and Leinster. 

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Just back from a lovely morning in St Emilion, guided tour, wine tasting, superb scenery there and back ending with an excellent 3 course lunch for a measly €18 a head in a pleasantly shaded terrace overlooking a beautiful garden. 

I paid £16 for chicken korma half and half in lifeboat tenby last thursday and £19-35 for 4 pints rip off Shocked

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 3:16pm

I paid £16 for chicken korma half and half in lifeboat tenby last thursday and £19-35 for 4 pints rip off Shocked
We continue to marvel at the excellent quality for such a low price on the menu de jour in most places. As you point out, Nige, it’s impossible to compare the value between UK & France.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Based on achievements the best current Welsh coach is probably McBryde when you look at what he's done with Wales and Leinster. 
Undoubtedly 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 7:12pm

well played that mAnClapClap

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 8:47pm
Babs.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 9:55pm
The last good all round Welsh coach was John Dawes that’s how bad it’s been. 
Gareth had his moments but was out of league with Wales 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

The last good all round Welsh coach was John Dawes that’s how bad it’s been. 
Gareth had his moments but was out of league with Wales 

"Gareth had his moments"
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:10pm
 Babs.

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 05 August 2022 at 5:56pm
That Korma was microwaved too

Date Posted: 06 August 2022 at 8:38am
A little snippet from Babs,quoted in WOL today-

The quality of  coaching conversations around session planning,tactical and technical approaches,and team and leadership development was hugely stimulating".

I'll stick my neck out and say it:
This won't end well.

Date Posted: 06 August 2022 at 11:54am
I know he is not Welsh ( but he has significant Welsh ties via the Scarlets)  but you might think that Simon Easterby might be keen to take up a Head Coach’s  role now, as he has been with Ireland for some years and must have learned so much about coaching in the Irish environment. Add to that the fact that his wife Sara Elgin and children presumably still live Bridgend way and it becomes even more surprising. Perhaps the Guinness is better in Dublin 😉

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 06 August 2022 at 12:57pm
Clive Rowlands must be the best welsh coach!

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Date Posted: 06 August 2022 at 4:54pm

I know he is not Welsh ( but he has significant Welsh ties via the Scarlets)  but you might think that Simon Easterby might be keen to take up a Head Coach’s  role now, as he has been with Ireland for some years and must have learned so much about coaching in the Irish environment. Add to that the fact that his wife Sara Elgin and children presumably still live Bridgend way and it becomes even more surprising. Perhaps the Guinness is better in Dublin 😉
He wasn’t that comfortable when in charge at Scarlets.

He seemed to avoid the folk in the Quinnell and when he did come up wasn’t anxious to meet folk he didn’t know.

Maybe it was different then. Maybe his forte is in a supporting role.

-------------

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 06 August 2022 at 5:14pm

We only conceded 8 tries in the last 6 Nations. That was 3 fewer than the previous season when we won it and only 1 more than in the 2019 Grand Slam season. 

Gethin looks to be a pretty decent defence coach. 

Date Posted: 06 August 2022 at 5:45pm

He wasn’t that comfortable when in charge at Scarlets.

He seemed to avoid the folk in the Quinnell and when he did come up wasn’t anxious to meet folk he didn’t know.

Maybe it was different then. Maybe his forte is in a supporting role.
You may well be right there. Mrs Easterby can certainly talk for both mind! 😉

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net