Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46444
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 7:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Zealand selection
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: New Zealand selection
Date Posted: 14 September 2021 at 8:58am
An interesting debate is set to take place over the next few weeks with regard to the Welsh team selection for the NZ game which, of course, falls outside the test window. Will the English Premiership change their long held stance and release English based players for the game? I do not see that happening so who will replace Biggar, Sheedy, Faletau & LRZ in the squad? 

The situation at 10 seems the most challenging & dare I say interesting with both Anscombe & Patchell starting their comebacks from long term injury issues and Rhys Priestland returning to Wales. I would imagine Jarrod Evans will one of the 3 10's named in the squad but who will accompany him and will Pivac name 4 in the squad as insurance for the NZ game? Will Sheedy be given the clear message that he is playing in the wrong country by being dropped from the squad for all 4 Autumn games with Biggar, Evans & a Welsh based 10 making the squad? 

An interesting dilemma & I would be interested in finding out what my fellow posters feel. 

Replies:
Posted By: Kentexile
Date Posted: 14 September 2021 at 3:00pm
Last season the SRU paid compensation to the English Premiership teams to secure release of players outside the international window for the rearranged. France v Scotland game 
Wales have in the past “swapped” one game in the window for a more high profile one outside to do a deal on player availability.
If this isn’t an option this time and the WRU aren’t willing to put their hands in their pockets to ensure the best team is available  for the All Blacks   then (reluctantly) my sympathy is with the Premiership teams. It is already sold out so I am not expecting things to change.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 14 September 2021 at 4:25pm
I don’t think pivac trusts evans at ten if priestland patchell or anscombe show any form they”ll all leap frog him. Priestland looks the fave to start the nz game to me
 Biggar is a cert to be called up sheedy less so

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 14 September 2021 at 6:40pm
Sheedy is an interesting one in that which region would bother signing him? The Dragons?

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:38am
If I were the WRU I would go all out & ask the English Clubs if we could have Biggar, LRZ, Faletau etc for this game & they can go back for the Fiji match tbh. Whether that means we pay them a little bit of cash to sweeten the deal is up to them.

The ABs are, lets face it, the Holy Grail for many players to play against & we need every one of our best players on the pitch to even stand a chance of keeping it respectable. We will be playing a side who have played for a couple of months in the RC whereas we will have had 2 weeks in camp.

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

If I were the WRU I would go all out & ask the English Clubs if we could have Biggar, LRZ, Faletau etc for this game & they can go back for the Fiji match tbh. Whether that means we pay them a little bit of cash to sweeten the deal is up to them.

The ABs are, lets face it, the Holy Grail for many players to play against & we need every one of our best players on the pitch to even stand a chance of keeping it respectable. We will be playing a side who have played for a couple of months in the RC whereas we will have had 2 weeks in camp.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we spent money to get players for what is essentially a money raising friendly. That sort of seems quite counter intuitive.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:28pm

The English clubs should't budge IMO, they have important Premiership games that weekend and they are their primary employer. I really wish we had an umbrella organisation like PRL in Wales.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:36pm
Most likely not worth the money to pay the England clubs for the release.

If Faletau, Biggar and LRZ play they’ll probably lose 38-17 instead of 45-10 without them. If that costs the WRU £50-100k for those releases what’s the point? 

Only worthwhile if there are no credible alternatives. Otherwise might as well give more exposure to Wainwright, Anscombe/Priestland and Jonah Holmes

-------------

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 1:31pm
We'll get tuned if we field a patched up side due to player release. Kind of makes you wonder why the fixture was scheduled in the first place, given the International window, and it being against the All Blacks. ConfusedConfusedConfused

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

We'll get tuned if we field a patched up side due to player release. Kind of makes you wonder why the fixture was scheduled in the first place, given the International window, and it being against the All Blacks. ConfusedConfusedConfused
£££££££

Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The English clubs should't budge IMO, they have important Premiership games that weekend and they are their primary employer. I really wish we had an umbrella organisation like PRL in Wales.
but we don’t , so untill then i want to see our players with wales not english clubs, not that it matters we won’t beat the kiwis with our with out those players

Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

but we don’t , so untill then i want to see our players with wales not english clubs, not that it matters we won’t beat the kiwis with our with out those players
But the English clubs are what our clubs should be like in Wales. They are 100% in the right here. Good for them. 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 6:10pm
That’s what they should be but it ain’t what they are. I can’t bring myself to put the needs of english club rugby above that of my national team tbh

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:12pm
Can not blame English clubs not releasing welsh players if game is outside window 

See six nations tickets on sale 115 pound 

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Can not blame English clubs not releasing welsh players if game is outside window 

See six nations tickets on sale 115 pound 

Got to pay for the hotel. 

Date Posted: 25 September 2021 at 7:47am
Given the injuries to the Blues 10s last night, we could be really struggling for a 10 against the All Blacks. 

Date Posted: 25 September 2021 at 9:26am

Given the injuries to the Blues 10s last night, we could be really struggling for a 10 against the All Blacks. 

At this point it seems likely they’ll pay for Biggar’s release 

-------------

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 05 October 2021 at 6:49pm
James Corrigan,in the Telegraph,writes of this fixture-"The WRU-ination of the sport in one of its hotbeds has long been a joke,but this time it has truly surpassed itself.It has arranged the stupidest fixture ever".

Date Posted: 06 October 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

James Corrigan,in the Telegraph,writes of this fixture-"The WRU-ination of the sport in one of its hotbeds has long been a joke,but this time it has truly surpassed itself.It has arranged the stupidest fixture ever".

That about sums up the WRU quite nicely Dic. 

Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 10:34am
Liam must be doubtful for this game to our back 3 options are fading rApidly

Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 10:55am

Liam must be doubtful for this game to our back 3 options are fading rApidly

Ideal fixture to blood some youngsters LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 11:01am
At this point. It looks like they could go Priestland with Anscombe on the bench. But as a Scarlet fan I wouldn’t be against giving Costellow a debut off the bench. 

But you’re right about Back 3 - missing halfpenny, LRZ, maybe Liam. Only 1 injury away from Amos getting a start. 

Adams, Holmes McNicholl may well be the back 3. Nothing too exciting but probably not gonna let us down.

-------------

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

At this point. It looks like they could go Priestland with Anscombe on the bench. But as a Scarlet fan I wouldn’t be against giving Costellow a debut off the bench. 

But you’re right about Back 3 - missing halfpenny, LRZ, maybe Liam. Only 1 injury away from Amos getting a start. 

Adams, Holmes McNicholl may well be the back 3. Nothing too exciting but probably not gonna let us down.
expect jonny to be missing sunday or next week if that is the case as wales won't to risk him.Cry

Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 9:42am
Well now that our Internationals have assembled in the Vale & based on all action over the first 4 weeks my selection for the AB's game is as follows :-

15. Johnny McNicholl 14. Owen Lane 13. Johnny Williams 12. Hahaholo 11. Adams 10. Priestland 9. Tomos
1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Francis 4. Beard 5. AWJ 6. Moriarty 7. Ellis Jenkins 8. Wainwright

16. Dee 17. Rhodri 18. WGJ 19. Rowlands 20. Basham 21. Cawdor 22. Anscombe 23. Foxy

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 11:41am
Johnny has to play 12 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Johnny has to play 12 

I take your point Why but I was really thinking about the Scarlets. For me he has the pace & handling ability to make a very good 13 & we have an excellent 12 in Scott. Wales are struggling big time without North at 13; Halaholo does not like 13 & Tompkins for me is no International. It is becoming sad to see Foxy struggle to patrol the wide channels which he used to own. 

Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 1:24pm
I agree we are struggling but Johnny is our best 12 build back line around him time for Baldwin to step up at 13. 
Scott will be very important when internationals are on 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 3:10pm

At this point it seems likely they’ll pay for Biggar’s release 
absolute waste of money as it won't make a blind bit of difference to the result.

Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 9:27am
Well it does appear that there are a few positions open for debate in the starting line up. 12/13 is two from 3 with Foxy's experience seeming to put him in pole for the 12 jersey ahead of Johnny. The call at 10 will be very interesting. Don't see much debate at 9 in all honesty. As for the pack I see two calls who partners AWJ - I can't see beyond Beard myself though there appears to be groundswell for Rowlands on the back of his good start to the season and then a straight choice at 7 between Basham & Jenkins. For me start Basham.

Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 9:41am
Am I missing something or is the huge criticism levelled at this fixture way over the top. Commentators suggesting that somehow Wales are being led likes lambs to the slaughter due to the timing of the fixture are way off the mark. The team selected by Pivac will be missing 3 first choice players because of the timing of the game - LRZ, Biggar & Faletau which is hardly a gamechanger. I fully expect the AB's to dish out a good beating on Saturday but its hardly down to the timing of the fixture!!!!!.

Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 9:56am
I agree GPR, welsh rugby is too glass half-empty for its own good.

When Biggar plays everyone says “we can’t beat SH teams with a 10 who isn’t a running threat”

This year Faletau had a quiet lions tour, and Bath are hardly firing on all cylinders.

LRZ is brilliant speedster, but hasn’t actually shown a lot more than that. And I still have no idea what he’s like defensively, which is arguably more important vs NZ.

NZ will win the game, and will likely score 6 or 7 tries, but for Pivac this game is about seeing if our attack can break down their defence. Just because we won’t beat NZ doesn’t make it a pointless fixture 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Am I missing something or is the huge criticism levelled at this fixture way over the top. Commentators suggesting that somehow Wales are being led likes lambs to the slaughter due to the timing of the fixture are way off the mark. The team selected by Pivac will be missing 3 first choice players because of the timing of the game - LRZ, Biggar & Faletau which is hardly a gamechanger. I fully expect the AB's to dish out a good beating on Saturday but its hardly down to the timing of the fixture!!!!!.

I think it is more that it is the first fixture & they are coming off the back of the rugby championship but we have a couple of weeks training with no run out.

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 3:11pm
Does anyone, apart from Scarletsrules, think we stand a chance on Saturday??? For me anything under a 20 point defeat would be a decent show bearing in mind its our first game for months & its their 7th or 8th. Many of our team will have no more than two games of rugby this season, some have a handful of games in the last season/two seasons.

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 4:36pm
Mark jones wAs upbeat sunday! Yoy never know they could have 3 men sent off or all get food poisioning, i’m going to game so i live in hope!Smile

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 5:42pm
I’ll be honest, it wouldn’t surprise me if New Zealand put more than 60 points on us, they’re fresh, drilled & match ready. So many of our squad are far from that! 

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:21pm

Does anyone, apart from Scarletsrules, think we stand a chance on Saturday??? For me anything under a 20 point defeat would be a decent show bearing in mind its our first game for months & its their 7th or 8th. Many of our team will have no more than two games of rugby this season, some have a handful of games in the last season/two seasons.

Red cards etc these days very influential - they’ve had 2 this year already. 

To some extent we’re a bit of an unknown entity whereas our analysts have fresh insight on how they play - e.g. how SA beat them a few weeks ago.

But I’ve still predicted NZ by 26

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:26pm
If we keep it under 40 be very good result 

-------------

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:40pm
They showed against USA how completely ruthless they are - no easing off to let one of the minor rugby nations keep some dignity, just plough on to humiliate them and score over a hundred points. If we show weakness we can similarly expect it to be exploited to the full.

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:06pm

Originally posted by John John wrote:

A fit scott is better than a fit willis he should be in the squad anyhow. How is tomkins playing this season? Sarrires seem to be i  good form and he aled are first team regulars there

Have seen some of Tompkins for Sarries - he is much the same. He was , in my opinion, never an International standard centre and he never will be. He looks good alongside Farrell & Lozowski playing behind a juggernaut pack but so would you RR I have no doubt. Shocked

He looked really good sidestepping around Pieter Scholtz at the weekend. But that just reinforces my view of him as a bit of a flat track bully. Against the ABs midfield, Scott is a far better option. 

Kind of agree, I’ve actually always quite liked Tomkins because he looks like he cares and tries hard, but still seems prone to a howling mistake - whether that’s an intercept/missed tackle/charge down who knows.

Playing behind a Sarries pack and outside Farrell is quite the armchair ride.

Scott just seems a bit sturdier in D. 

Am I right in thinking it’s only Scarlets centres available to Pivac on Sat?

3 Scarlets & Ben Thomas from Cardiff. 

Moved here as less relevant to Scotty thread.

But basically the option vs the All Blacks is

Jonny Williams (played about 50 mins of rugby)
Jon Davies (played a few games and been run around by Munster’s 2nd XV)
Ben Thomas (one cap off the bench vs Canada)
Scott Williams (in good form but a late call up)

For me the best pair we’ve got are Williams Williams but Foxy runs defence so he’ll have to start

-------------

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:13pm

Mark jones wAs upbeat sunday! Yoy never know they could have 3 men sent off or all get food poisioning, i’m going to game so i live in hope!Smile

They'd be the All Browns then. 

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:15pm

A fit scott is better than a fit willis he should be in the squad anyhow. How is tomkins playing this season? Sarrires seem to be i  good form and he aled are first team regulars there

Have seen some of Tompkins for Sarries - he is much the same. He was , in my opinion, never an International standard centre and he never will be. He looks good alongside Farrell & Lozowski playing behind a juggernaut pack but so would you RR I have no doubt. Shocked

He looked really good sidestepping around Pieter Scholtz at the weekend. But that just reinforces my view of him as a bit of a flat track bully. Against the ABs midfield, Scott is a far better option. 

Kind of agree, I’ve actually always quite liked Tomkins because he looks like he cares and tries hard, but still seems prone to a howling mistake - whether that’s an intercept/missed tackle/charge down who knows.

Playing behind a Sarries pack and outside Farrell is quite the armchair ride.

Scott just seems a bit sturdier in D. 

Am I right in thinking it’s only Scarlets centres available to Pivac on Sat?

3 Scarlets & Ben Thomas from Cardiff. 

Moved here as less relevant to Scotty thread.

But basically the option vs the All Blacks is

Jonny Williams (played about 50 mins of rugby)
Jon Davies (played a few games and been run around by Munster’s 2nd XV)
Ben Thomas (one cap off the bench vs Canada)
Scott Williams (in good form but a late call up)

For me the best pair we’ve got are Williams Williams but Foxy runs defence so he’ll have to start

Yes that really is a telling assessment when you think we are up against the two best sides in the World in the next 10 days. We really don't help ourselves though. Read today that Stuart Hogg is feeling back to his best having played 4 times for Exeter this season. Players need games regardless of how good they are to prepare for big Internationals. If the AB's handling & support play gets anywhere need their normal in games then we are going to be looking at a long afternoon/evening. 

The stupidity of the situation will be laid bare when Liam is deemed ready & thrown in against the Boks or the gentle tackling Fijians for his first match in 3 months - you couldn't really make it up could you. 

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:39pm
New Zealand are 33-1 on to win on one site.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:03am
I fear for whoever is wearing the 13 shirt for Wales on Saturday. The way the AB's attack that outside channel with pace & power is poetry in motion when they get it right, which they invariably do. I can only see one selection now that Halaholo is out & thats Foxy. I sincerely hope he can find that missing ingredient in his game to turn back the clock to the way he performed in 2017 for the Lions. 

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:13am
Lets be honest lane is a poor defender so is jonny mac, so those wider channels will be exposed if it is windy and wet id keep the roof open

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:16am

Lets be honest lane is a poor defender so is jonny mac, so those wider channels will be exposed if it is windy and wet id keep the roof open

Roof is open because of the pandemic.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:16am

Good idea - we do need all the help we can get. Unhappy

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:19am

Good idea - we do need all the help we can get. Unhappy

And when we beat them we'll have a great view of all those flying pigs...

Nah, I'll be positive. No injuries. 

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:05pm

Wales team: Johnny McNicholl; Owen Lane, Jonathan Davies, Johnny Williams, Josh Adams; Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (c), Ross Moriarty, Taine Basham, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements:Ryan Elias, Rhys Carre, Dillon Lewis, Will Rowlands, Seb Davies, Gareth Davies, Rhys Priestland, Ben Thomas.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:07pm
Elliot Dee released from the Welsh squad & replaced by Kirby Myhill.

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:21pm
Replacement front row could be in for a torrid time.  Surely Rob, Ryan and Samson would be better.  Congrats to Kirby Myhill coming into the squad.

-------------
Joshua24:15

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:32pm
Bench forwards bar rowlands all poor at test level, seb davies covering back row? Pivac should have called up morgan

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:34pm
Ken is out, Elias starts with Myhill on the bench.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:38pm

Ken is out, Elias starts with Myhill on the bench.
the news gets worse!

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:40pm
Oh well, looks like I will be getting drunk enough to forget the match.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:49pm

I fear for whoever is wearing the 13 shirt for Wales on Saturday. The way the AB's attack that outside channel with pace & power is poetry in motion when they get it right, which they invariably do. I can only see one selection now that Halaholo is out & thats Foxy. I sincerely hope he can find that missing ingredient in his game to turn back the clock to the way he performed in 2017 for the Lions. 
when does something that's been missing so long be declared lost?Wink

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:53pm
Im looking forwsrd to seeing the cardiff front row coming on£££. Lambs to the slaughter doesnt even come close🤐🤐

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 1:15pm
Realistically, if we get beat by less than 40 points it'll be a good result.

With so many unavailable because they are in England - this is a 'top up the WRU coffers match', let's not forget - and added to that, the injuries (are there any COVID absentees as well?) - it's a long way off our best 23, and even those would almost certainly get well beaten.

Don't think Pivac has done us any favours with the selection, either - surely, if Priestland is covering 10, you pick Scott W as the reserve for the three-quarters, not Ben Thomas - talented but inexperienced and far less physical. Samson should be there as bench TH prop. And what about no back row subs? We'll get done badly for pace, there. Jac Morgan should have been called up - or Shingler.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 1:18pm
How long before this fixture becomes meaningless? Not for the players as they'll be as proud as anyone.

But really, every single Welsh fan is saying "It will be good if we can keep the score below 40 or 50".

That is unacceptable in a test match between two tier 1 nations.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 1:48pm
Clearly the Welsh management see something in Carre & Lewis that I and many other posters do not. I will watch with interest. 

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 1:54pm
whats wrong with ken? hope its not serious

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

whats wrong with ken? hope its not serious
yes that’s my main concern tbh 

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 2:25pm
Back injury to Ken I think.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 3:02pm

Clearly the Welsh management see something in Carre & Lewis that I and many other posters do not. I will watch with interest. 
pivac is a bit random with his selections , look at wgj picked to start  vs scotland game gets called off ,  then not in squad at all. The  has a good year for sale but not in squad, signs for us and is all honesty struggling here but gets called up to squad, carre and lewis go from not in squad to on the bench. Our lack of back row cover sat is baffling if he wants a versatile forward pick turnbull not seb davies, all a bit of a puzzle.  Let’s not get into ben thomas who doesn’t even start for the blues

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 3:15pm
It's about half your first choice 23, not ideal to play NZ.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 3:23pm
First choices out liam lrz north biggar ken navidi tips and toby f plus halfpenny and dee on the bench A big task with your full team impossible with this many missing

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 3:43pm
In an ideal world Pivac would have recalled Hadleigh Parkes and then covered up Halaholo’s positive case so we could’ve gone

10 Anscombe
12 Parkes
13 Halaholo
15 Jonny McNicholl 

At that point we could have had the first Welsh haka 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 3:52pm

In an ideal world Pivac would have recalled Hadleigh Parkes and then covered up Halaholo’s positive case so we could’ve gone

10 Anscombe
12 Parkes
13 Halaholo
15 Jonny McNicholl 

He could have moved Johnny to 14 & put Collins at 15.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 3:59pm

10 Anscombe
12 Parkes
13 Halaholo
15 Jonny McNicholl 

He could have moved Johnny to 14 & put Collins at 15.Thumbs Up

Is Sean Fitzpatrick eligible for us yet?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 4:34pm
The blues front 5 is rubbish and 4 of them are in this 23 .Rob samson and The ospreys players  left out must be tanping. Is peter thomas best mates with pivac or something? LOLLOL

Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 5:46pm

The blues front 5 is rubbish and 4 of them are in this 23 .Rob samson and The ospreys players  left out must be tanping. Is peter thomas best mates with pivac or something? LOLLOL

Spot on RR1972 !
Carrie and Lewis ,not bad in the loose, but neither man can scrummage.Ospreys had them in all kinds of trouble in the scrum and it was a major factor in their victory against Cardiff this season
Yes its likely we need guys to commit to an overall game, particularly as we most likely will be on the back foot tackling for most of the NZ match.
If however there are any injuries to the front row, these guys will be straight in!We all know, you cannit operate at any level of rugby without a set piece! 
Kirby Myhill is a other...surely, not an international,l hooker.
Other score, for all his fine qualities, Ryan Elias failings at throwing in at the line out,  use be a major worry for Pivac.

Regarding Scarlets participation, as proud as I am as a Welshman, every time a Scarlet represents Wales, the major worry is how many if them will end up seriously injured .?
The recent record of such a thing is dire..Halfpenny, Foxy, Jake Ball, Samson Lee, to name a few !
Let's keep our fingers crossed!
In this respect, I am glad Scott is not selected,even though I am happy he's received the recognition 

-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 6:58pm
All Blacks team

New Zealand: 15. Jordie Barrett; 14. Will Jordan, 13. Anton Lienert-Brown, 12. David Havili, 11. Rieko Ioane; 10. Beauden Barrett, 9. TJ Perenara; 1. Joe Moody, 2. Codie Taylor, 3. Nepo Laulala, 4. Brodie Retallick, 5. Sam Whitelock (capt), 6. Ethan Blackadder, 7. Dalton Papalii, 8. Ardie Savea. 

Replacements: 16. Samisoni Taukei'aho, 17. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18. Tyrel Lomax, 19. Tupou Vaa'i, 20. Akira Ioane, 21. Brad Weber, 22. Richie Mo'unga, 23. Sevu Reece.

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 7:29pm
The issue with lewis and carre is ridiculous. You wouldnt choose a slow winger or a scrum half who can pass nor a full back who cant tackle, so why pick 2 props who cant prop. Each position has its duties. Anything after those are bonuses. Anythi g less is a liability. And thats what you get with both Lewis and Carre

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

All Blacks team

New Zealand: 15. Jordie Barrett; 14. Will Jordan, 13. Anton Lienert-Brown, 12. David Havili, 11. Rieko Ioane; 10. Beauden Barrett, 9. TJ Perenara; 1. Joe Moody, 2. Codie Taylor, 3. Nepo Laulala, 4. Brodie Retallick, 5. Sam Whitelock (capt), 6. Ethan Blackadder, 7. Dalton Papalii, 8. Ardie Savea. 

Replacements: 16. Samisoni Taukei'aho, 17. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18. Tyrel Lomax, 19. Tupou Vaa'i, 20. Akira Ioane, 21. Brad Weber, 22. Richie Mo'unga, 23. Sevu Reece.

Brutal lineup. At least you know when you watch NZ they’ll score some great tries

-------------

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 8:27pm

* Cardiff Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 9:07pm

* Cardiff Wink
same horse diff jockey, none of then are test level players tbhSmile. That ab side will tonk us , pivac bizzare bench selection won’t help

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:07pm
The joys of being a welsh coach. Everyone loves you when you do well but everyone calls for your head when it’s not. LOL

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 1:25am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

The joys of being a welsh coach. Everyone loves you when you do well but everyone calls for your head when it’s not. LOL

TBF I don't think Pivac has done well yet so no loving so far!

Posted By: bills burr
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 2:23am

Weve never done well against the all blacks at least not in our lifetime 

-------------
B BURR

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

No, just a 6 nations win. 

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 9:03am

He won the Six Nations Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 9:16am

He won the Six Nations Confused

I have to be fair after last Autumn I didn't think that Pivac & his coaching team would survive beyond the 6 nations. However you cannot fault the winning of a 6 nations title which may have contained some luck in having opposition reduced in numbers ( Ireland & Scotland) along with some dodgy decisions against England. Our best performance under Pivac I thought came against France where we came very close to winning a Grand Slam & would have done so with more composure from our half backs. 

He has earned the right to get us to the 2023 World cup & his team's try scoring exploits suggest to me that he is taking the team in the right direction. His biggest task is going to be to decide when & if the time is right to permanently replace some of his aging stars - AWJ, Ken, Biggar & Foxy. His continuing selections suggest that they may have already made that decision & all will be on board until 2023 at least. 

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 9:54am
Front row replacements are concerning, my worry is we may actually be in it until 50 mins then they come on & NZ start winning scrum penalties. 

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 10:53am
Anyone hear Fitzpatrick on radio 5 this morning? I've only heard the highlights but he ripped into how often our international players are available to play for us.

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 11:04am

Anyone hear Fitzpatrick on radio 5 this morning? I've only heard the highlights but he ripped into how often our international players are available to play for us.
He's done that on a number of occasions.

-------------

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 11:37am

Front row replacements are concerning, my worry is we may actually be in it until 50 mins then they come on & NZ start winning scrum penalties. 

Ah the uncontested scrum routine I recommend! 😉🙏

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 12:01pm

This has basically been the story of Wales v NZ most of my life, sort of 1,2 scores in it until 60+mins then they take it out of reach with a couple of quick tries

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Ah the uncontested scrum routine I recommend! 😉🙏

Now then....

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 12:09pm

Very simply the calculation is

WRU make £4m from this game

But these extra internationals do undermine regional rugby

To make an extra £4m a year, all 4 regions would need to sell about 2.5k extra tickets @ £25 a pop every home game each season to make that sort of money.

I see both sides, but I still think the WRU taking that money every year, neglecting us, means welsh rugby is in a vulnerable position

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 12:50pm

Very simply the calculation is

WRU make £4m from this game

But these extra internationals do undermine regional rugby

To make an extra £4m a year, all 4 regions would need to sell about 2.5k extra tickets @ £25 a pop every home game each season to make that sort of money.

I see both sides, but I still think the WRU taking that money every year, neglecting us, means welsh rugby is in a vulnerable position

Do they pass that extra money on to us though? Or to other levels of the game? Or do they spend it on property development in Cardiff?

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 1:25pm
All Blacks 9/2 to win by 51 points or more

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 1:46pm

Ouch. 

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 2:15pm

Considering that Gatland's teams average losing points difference was 17 thats a little OTT. 

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 2:36pm
How many home games are you working on?
I went on 12 and reached £3 million. 

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 4:19pm

Eh??????

No-one is calling for Pivac's head - I don't know where you got that from.

He's in a difficult spot with so many players unavailable - some of us just think that, even given the lack of resources, he could have picked a better 23... but realistically, it would only reduce the margin of defeat.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 4:24pm
Hes just drafted in some  hooker from ulster whose 25 and played a grand total of ten games for them. Pivac is a bit of a mystery  a lucky 6 nations apart he has been dire for wales tbh. Hope he proves me wrong but i see bad times ahead for wales under him

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 4:27pm

Hes just drafted in some  hooker from ulster whose 25 and played a grand total of ten games for them. Pivac is a bit of a mystery 

South African born, mamgu from Llandysul, played for RGC... does seem inexperienced, but the coaches must see something in him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59095678" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59095678

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Hes just drafted in some  hooker from ulster whose 25 and played a grand total of ten games for them. Pivac is a bit of a mystery 

South African born, mamgu from Llandysul, played for RGC... does seem inexperienced, but the coaches must see something in him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59095678" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59095678
sam parry  and ifan phillips must be delighted!WinkWink

Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 5:00pm
Sorry but any of the three ospreys hookers should’ve been called up before Myhill

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Actually he came off the bench and was the stand out player for Ulster last week, in what was an otherwise lackluster showing v Connacht

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 5:51pm
One swallow doeth not a summer make, springs to mind.

-------------
Keep the faith

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net