Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46293
Printed Date: 24 June 2021 at 10:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Osian Knott
Posted By: Scarlswb
Subject: Osian Knott
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:59pm
Really disappointed to read again, another young prospect leaving the Scarlets to join the Ospreys, more disappointing was the quote on the bbc, that fir Osian to fulfill his ambitions, he thought it would be best served by the Ospreys.

Replies:
Posted By: philturk
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:07pm
We seem to be really struggling to keep hold of talented young players.....Knott, Jac, Baldwin

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:08pm
We are becoming a bigger laughing stock.
Watch  the region find  excuses that we lose players but can't sign any

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by philturk philturk wrote:

We seem to be really struggling to keep hold of talented young players.....Knott, Jac, Baldwin

Jac left because he is an Ospreys fan, there is nothing we could have done to keep him. Corey left because he wants to, IIRC, play for England. I haven't read the Osian press release yet but certainly we couldn't have kept the other 2 here against their will.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:11pm
Also it's only a 2 year deal.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Scarlswb Scarlswb wrote:

Really disappointed to read again, another young prospect leaving the Scarlets to join the Ospreys, more disappointing was the quote on the bbc, that fir Osian to fulfill his ambitions, he thought it would be best served by the Ospreys.

If you were Osian who do you think you would have a chance to learn your trade off - a seasoned professional who has 10-12 years experience for a top French 14 side with years of Champions League experience including semis and finals or two guys who have played for Gloucester 3rds and Bedwas B team. One is called Brock James the others are Whiffin & Flannagan. Before I am corrected I have used a little poetic licence to make my case!!!!!

Now if we were in a position to announce that Osian would have been coached by a 70+Welsh International & British & Irish Lion things may well have turned out differently. Time is long overdue for us to get our coaching house in order. 

Posted By: Boisbach
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:23pm
For me, this is a big loss, he is an excellent prospect, have seen quite a bit of him at semi pro level and he stands out a mile.

He had an injury beginning of season which held him back a bit, but it looks like he feels he will have more game time at Ospreys.

If he wants to leave there not much we can do about it really, he’s out of contract I believe.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:25pm
From the press release it sounds its pro sport showing its' ruthless side.

The big facts here for me is that Knott is coming up to 22years old with no pro game under his belt and the squad being cut from 65 to 50 players. Thats pretty much the crux of it.

He has had 2 maybe 3 very serious knee injuries which hasnt helped his development one bit (not sure if its the same knee).

We have the internationals around for more or less the entire season from next season.

When we already have Foxy, Johnny Williams, Steff Hughes, Tyler Morgan as centres, the hot prospect coming through in Eddie James and possibly few other academy centers, plus we have no idea yet on any in comings this is no real surprise (assuming Asquith is also on his way, but if not, thats another center)...we simply can not keep everyone.

If the Ospreys deal works out for him, good on him, but it seems like a punt for the Ospreys. Sometimes when you keep getting serious injuries, a change of scene works.

Posted By: Boisbach
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:29pm
Agree Eddie James is another big prospect coming through, fingers crossed.

Is a very good footballer, has size and a huge boot.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

From the press release it sounds its pro sport showing its' ruthless side.

The big facts here for me is that Knott is coming up to 22years old with no pro game under his belt and the squad being cut from 65 to 50 players. Thats pretty much the crux of it.

He has had 2 maybe 3 very serious knee injuries which hasnt helped his development one bit (not sure if its the same knee).

We have the internationals around for more or less the entire season from next season.

When we already have Foxy, Johnny Williams, Steff Hughes, Tyler Morgan as centres, the hot prospect coming through in Eddie James and possibly few other academy centers, plus we have no idea yet on any in comings this is no real surprise (assuming Asquith is also on his way, but if not, thats another center)...we simply can not keep everyone.

If the Ospreys deal works out for him, good on him, but it seems like a punt for the Ospreys. Sometimes when you keep getting serious injuries, a change of scene works.

Totally agree with this, good post. 

Posted By: Captain
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:33pm
Yes it is disappointing that we lose players, if they state that they will learn from Watkins (not Scott Williams) or Jon Davies, then I think there is more to to it. 

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

For me, this is a big loss, he is an excellent prospect, have seen quite a bit of him at semi pro level and he stands out a mile.

He had an injury beginning of season which held him back a bit, but it looks like he feels he will have more game time at Ospreys.

If he wants to leave there not much we can do about it really, he’s out of contract I believe.

Yes I had heard much the same about Osian. Big unit with a good kicking & offloading game. I fully appreciate that you cannot keep everyone happy when you have a squad in excess of 50 players but there is a worrying trend appearing at PYS - Baldwin, Jac & Osian. Clearly we do not come across as a club going somewhere. Winning the title in 2017 & competing hard in Europe for a couple of years is now history. Players are interested in the here and now.

All we can hope is that we get our acts together and we may then appeal to these lads when their new contracts come to an end. 

Posted By: gorau
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:38pm
Osian was rumoured to be off so this isn't big news, but still disappointing. I hope some positivity will come from the Parc soon, as currently there is nothing. No positivity in announcement news and no positivity or excitement from us on the playing front. Just in one single week we've seen a really poor performance backed up by announcements of two players leaving, Osian and Uzair (whilst he hasn't been announced formally yet by us he has been announced as signing for Bayonne by the French press). It is disappointing. 

I'm increasingly worried about us. Simon spoke very well on the Scrum V podcast last night, he was frank and honest. We are trimming our squad from 65 to 50, but I do hope we'll see some signings arrive as it's clear we need new fresh faces. 

Some positive news next week or in the next few weeks, before our next match, would be great.

-------------
eds

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:57pm
Good luck to the lad.
I hope to see him fulfil his potential.

-------------
Often visit, rarely post.
I like to consider myself a well behaved lurker.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 2:58pm

It's an interesting quote that.

PE SA's post further down is very relevant too. Particularly on age. Osian has lost a season and a half of development time through serious injury and Covid and needs to play for sure. Lots of similarity to Baldwin, who is 23 this year, and yet to break through.
Backs need to have become a regular match day 23 player by the time they are 21/22 or they just get overtaken by younger talent ( forwards a couple of years later generally)

Double wages plus a promise of a few games is enough for some just desperate to get on in the game. Can't fault that ideal.

The move doesn't really stand up too well under scrutiny though. The Ospreys have 3 centers with a similar age profile to Osian ( Kieran Williams, Thomas-Wheeler and Watkin) all on extended contracts and payed a lot, and a really good young 12 prospect in joe Hawkins (19 this year, wand has just moved up the pecking order, and could well surpass all the others).
They also have Michael Collins coming in to play centre next season.
Not all that easy to see where he might fit in.

Anyway, best of luck to him, clearly a talent, and at the end of the day he's just trying to make a living, like all of us.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It's an interesting quote that.

PE SA's post further down is very relevant too. Particularly on age. Osian has lost a season and a half of development time through serious injury and Covid and needs to play for sure. Lots of similarity to Baldwin, who is 23 this year, and yet to break through.
Backs need to have become a regular match day 23 player by the time they are 21/22 or they just get overtaken by younger talent ( forwards a couple of years later generally)

Double wages plus a promise of a few games is enough for some just desperate to get on in the game. Can't fault that ideal.

The move doesn't really stand up too well under scrutiny though. The Ospreys have 3 centers with a similar age profile to Osian ( Kieran Williams, Thomas-Wheeler and Watkin) all on extended contracts and played a lot, and a really good young 12 prospect in Joe Hawkins (19 this year, wand has just moved up the pecking order, and could well surpass all the others).
They also have Michael Collins coming in to play centre next season.
Not all that obvious to see where he might fit in, on the surface of it it looks similar to where he is at the Scarlets.

Anyway, best of luck to him, clearly a talent, and at the end of the day he's just trying to make a living, like all of us.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by shocker shocker wrote:

You do love a negative thread/post.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:02pm
It’s disappointing to see Knott go. I’ve followed him since watching him play for Coleg Sir Gar and was looking forward to seeing what he could do in pro rugby. He appears to have all the tools to be a very good centre. 

Hopefully he can get an injury free run at the Ospreys and we can pinch him back in a couple of years as he’s coming into his prime. 

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:17pm
One word, Delaney !!!

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

One word, Delaney !!!

Care to expand on that?

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:31pm

Not  at all ,  only negative stories are around our region.
If you got a positive one ill be glad to comment

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:41pm

OK. well let's see....Connacht game....your posts on here during the game..

First half...

It's hard to think you would keep after this performance.
It's already a disgusting score line and a laughing stock
Another disgusting embarrassing performance.
Delaney will come out with the excuses.
This is the worst half I have seen by any scarlets team

Second half...

Posted By: Rob Hunt
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:53pm
I found Osian Knott’s comments about learning from playing alongside Owen Watkin and being in the same environment as role models such as Alun Wyn Jones and Justin Tipuric.
He obviously doesn’t rate the likes of Foxy, Ken and Leigh Halfpenny. I seem to recall that Warren Garland described Leigh as one of the most dedicated professionals he’d ever worked with.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

One word, Delaney !!!
This has got nothing to do with Delaney. I wouldn't lose any sleep over Knott signing for the Ospreys.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:11pm
Whoever’s responsible it does appear that we have to ship out 15 players before next season but the 15 who’re going we ought to keep and the 15 who’re staying we ought to be shipping out. 

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

I found Osian Knott’s comments about learning from playing alongside Owen Watkin and being in the same environment as role models such as Alun Wyn Jones and Justin Tipuric.
He obviously doesn’t rate the likes of Foxy, Ken and Leigh Halfpenny. I seem to recall that Warren Garland described Leigh as one of the most dedicated professionals he’d ever worked with.
he is just reading a press release prepared by the ospreys media time. Don’t worry about it👍

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:25pm

Osian was offered a contract with the Scarlets, but opted for Ospreys .

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

There we go then, same boat as Jac, he doesn’t want to be here let him go. 

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

he is just reading a press release prepared by the ospreys media time. Don’t worry about it👍
I’m certainly not worried about it. If he wants to go then good riddance to him. 

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:46pm

Fair play, hope he does well, but I have to be a little concerned that we have young promising players that are tempted away. I’m not going to ring alarm bells and panic, but I do question the squad makeup as it gets older and reliant on players oft-unavailable (injury, call ups).

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:50pm
good news or bad news it is most certainly a more exciting time to be an ospreys fan than a scarlets one.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

good news or bad news it is most certainly a more exciting time to be an ospreys fan than a scarlets one.

I’d sit tight...

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:55pm

I’d sit tight...

Be funny if they merged with us now.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 4:55pm

I’d sit tight...

Don’t start Wil! You’ll have the site into meltdown with comments like that. 

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 5:03pm

I’d sit tight...
ohhh now youv’e done it! Tongues a wagging 👍👍

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 5:13pm
When you say sit tight, we’ve been doing that for a few weeks now LOL

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 5:18pm

I’d sit tight...
ohhh now youv’e done it! Tongues a wagging 👍👍

Right, who's watching the car park?

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 5:19pm
Gordon D’arcy finally to sign?

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Maybe part of the interview/selection process should be having to prove that you and your family are Scarlets supporters? 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Maybe part of the interview/selection process should be having to prove that you and your family are Scarlets supporters? 

If we present a contract to a player & they choose to go elsewhere then that’s their choice. Would you like it if the player said “we’ll give me £50k more & I’ll sign” & we said no problem & they signed?

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Gordon D’arcy finally to sign?

Yeah as our new head coach. LOL

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:00pm
Ah. No. Sorry. Mis-read the situation there. I meant other regions are really only pushing out ( pretty meagre) good news thus far. There’s plenty of other stuff to be sure!

Posted By: jeremy windell
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:03pm
We seem to be the only region cutting our cloth at the moment.

Ospreys playing supermarket sweep yet again, such a greedy lot.

-------------
Go ahead..........Take those banana's

Posted By: Calon_Coch2
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:13pm
Posted: 2 hours 41 minutes ago at 3:28pm By Fscarlet
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

One word, Delaney !!!

Care to expand on that?

Nothing to do with Delaney - John Daniels calls the shots and has the final say re. money and contract renewals. 

-------------
Calon_Coch2

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:13pm

OK. well let's see....Connacht game....your posts on here during the game..

First half...

It's hard to think you would keep after this performance.
It's already a disgusting score line and a laughing stock
Another disgusting embarrassing performance.
Delaney will come out with the excuses.
This is the worst half I have seen by any scarlets team

Second half...

So was it a terrible performance? Losing  by that much at ht at home is terrible.
Yes they went onto win but that doesn't  make it suddenly a great performance.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:34pm

Ah. No. Sorry. Mis-read the situation there. I meant other regions are really only pushing out ( pretty meagre) good news thus far. There’s plenty of other stuff to be sure!
little mix coming to the parc/jade thirwell decided to go to liberty.LOL

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:03pm
I’ve not seen Osian Knott play a pro game. Has he played one?

I’d be more worried if a proven rate lent like Jonny Williams was off. If internationals are playing more of a part come next year then he has a lot of players to pass in both squads.

Williams/Davies/Hughes/Morgan/Asquith

Watkin/S.Williams/K.Williams/North(Wing for Ospreys I know)

Im sure if signed someone like Owen Williams that would definitely fill the void and the sentiment haha.

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:50pm
Out of interest anybody know how Baldwin got on?

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

I asked that recently in general rugby, apparently he’s had little playing time, he’s another one who looks like he has it all going for him.

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Seen quite a few Exeter games this season. Corey’s only been on the bench a few times and come on late in the game. Don’t know if he’s been injured or just not selected. 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by jeremy windell jeremy windell wrote:

Lots of announcements around the corner... on the positive side

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Good to hear Steff. 

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:13pm

Good to hear.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:32pm
Good to hear Steff, the sooner the better

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:44pm
The irony is you could swear he’s playing above and beyond other players in the team. He hasn’t started a game for us. 

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 9:39pm
I think we will be ok at centre. I often think we need a real bruiser, crash ball Hadleigh Parkes type. We have enough skill and pace (when they get going). Just need someone scary LOL

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think we will be ok at centre. I often think we need a real bruiser, crash ball Hadleigh Parkes type. We have enough skill and pace (when they get going). Just need someone scary LOL
Johnny Williams is a big lad with power, but can’t string three matches together.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:11pm
In the light of this and Jac Morgan’s departure should we consider disbanding our academy and use the money we save to scavenge the most promising products produced by the other regions? 

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:22pm

In the light of this and Jac Morgan’s departure should we consider disbanding our academy and use the money we save to scavenge the most promising products produced by the other regions? 
genuine question when we signed morgan and obrien from the dragons? Or patchell from the blues did you object then? All regions sign players from other regions. It’s just part of the game

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:36pm
Genuine answer.
 As I far as I’m aware Patchell joined us as he wished to play at 10 and Anscombe was occupying that spot. Neither Tyler Morgan or Angus O’Brien we’re promising academy products, but were  out of favour at the Dragons. I fully understand players such as Mike Phillips leaving us when Dwayne Peel was our first choice scrum half, or for that matter Josh Turnbull as he wanted to play at 6. I have a huge amount of time for Josh and was very disappointed when he left us. It’s a bit ironic that he’s played across the back five with distinction during his time with the Blues.
I’m totally unimpressed when a group of parasites set out their objective as picking off Academy Products from other regions.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:37pm

Genuine answer.
 As I far as I’m aware Patchell joined us as he wished to play at 10 and Anscombe was occupying that spot. Neither Tyler Morgan or Angus O’Brien we’re promising academy products, but were  out of favour at the Dragons. I fully understand players such as Mike Phillips leaving us when Dwayne Peel was our first choice scrum half, or for that matter Josh Turnbull as he wanted to play at 6. I have a huge amount of time for Josh and was very disappointed when he left us. It’s a bit ironic that he’s played across the back five with distinction during his time with the Blues.
I’m totally unimpressed when a group of parasites set out their objective as picking off Academy Products from other regions.
Why are you using the word parasite for? It’s over the top. This is professional sport. They are entitled to attempt to sign any player that’s out of contract. We’ve done the same in the past 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 10:52pm

Genuine answer.
Why are you using the word parasite for? It’s over the top. This is professional sport. They are entitled to attempt to sign any player that’s out of contract. We’ve done the same in the past 
With due respect this is an open forum and I’m entitled to use any term I choose  as long as it’s not obscene. You are of course free to express your opinion on my comments. I respect people’s right to express their opinions whilst frequently not agreeing with them.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:12pm
Ok Rob, I’ll bite. I worked as an accountant for a successful leisure company. I was good at my job & I was headhunted by a different  company who offered me a role. My employer, at the time offered me slightly better terms which I rejected. Does that make my new (& current employers) parasites? No, it doesn’t. It’s the labour market. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:13pm

Scavenge? Parasites? Come on, I understand your frustration probably intensified by our recent big loss to Sale , but these words are not  proportional words for outlining circumstances involving two clubs and young men on modest wages who are free to look for new local work and in their view, to better their career prospects. We can’t keep everyone and as we need to cut our player base the club has to really focus on who it wants to retain. We shall have some good news no doubt in the coming weeks do let’s move on . 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:23pm
I’m not aware that we’ve set out our development strategy as picking out young talent produced by the academies of the other regions. As I posted earlier, when Jac Morgan’s departure was confirmed, the official statement was “we are proud to announce the signing....”. I said at the time that I was pleased when we signed Rhys Patchell, but didn’t feel any sense of pride. As a supporter I feel a sense of pride when local talent, which we’ve developed, achieve success at international level.

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:28pm

I’m not aware that we’ve set out our development strategy as picking out young talent produced by the academies of the other regions. As I posted earlier, when Jac Morgan’s departure was confirmed, the official statement was “we are proud to announce the signing....”. I said at the time that I was pleased when we signed Rhys Patchell, but didn’t feel any sense of pride. As a supporter I feel a sense of pride when local talent, which we’ve developed, achieve success at international level.

It’s a media statement....

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:29pm
I think we have a great sense of pride for our youngsters however this isn't really that big of a thing. I don't think Osian has even started for us yet? And some people are going on about how its a huge loss? I would imagine if he had the makings of being an elite player he'd have had a couple more starts by now. 

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:33pm

Self evidently it was a media statement, but they had a number of weeks to prepare for it as it seems that it was a done deal. They chose to use those terms. Was it only two years ago that they wanted to merge with the Blues and then with us?

Date Posted: 08 April 2021 at 11:37pm

Self evidently it was a media statement, but they had a number of weeks to prepare for it as it seems that it was a done deal. They chose to use those terms. Was it only two years ago that they wanted to merge with the Blues and then with us?
looks like their new owners have bigger ambitions and deeper pockets. Our coaches never picked knott so what’s he supposed to do ? Waste his career sat in the stands?  If morgan and aob were out of favour at the drags before moving here, then so is knott here before his move to the ospreys  so by your logic that’s ok, players will move from region to region it’s pointless getting upset about it. He’s not even a first teamer It’s hardly like losing liam or foxy to them is it?

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 2:43am
Man, this place I come to for a bit of ight hearted relief. It's been like a funeral parlour the past 5 days. Its a shame the Sale game was the last of the season. Nothing to distract us with.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 3:40am

looks like their new owners have bigger ambitions and deeper pockets. Our coaches never picked knott so what’s he supposed to do ? Waste his career sat in the stands?  If morgan and aob were out of favour at the drags before moving here, then so is knott here before his move to the ospreys  so by your logic that’s ok, players will move from region to region it’s pointless getting upset about it. He’s not even a first teamer It’s hardly like losing liam or foxy to them is it?

If as Scarletnut is saying we have good news, which I don’t doubt is right, on the horizon re players. What do people think as they will be Delaney selections or at least he will have had a big say in who is brought in.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I think we have a great sense of pride for our youngsters however this isn't really that big of a thing. I don't think Osian has even started for us yet? And some people are going on about how its a huge loss? I would imagine if he had the makings of being an elite player he'd have had a couple more starts by now. 

Yes but the opinion of wether or not he has elite qualities lies in the opinion of coaches who don't seem to have much of a clue as the continued omission of asquith seems to indicate.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 7:12am
So your basing quality of coaching on non playing of Asquith. The last 2/3 coaches did not constantly pick him, so they were poor as well?

I am really bored with this narrative now. 

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

So your basing quality of coaching on non playing of Asquith. The last 2/3 coaches did not constantly pick him, so they were poor as well?

I'm basing the quality of coaching on the style of play that's been delivered this season with teams taking the field like strangers,if your bored with the narrative then don't read them and don't feed them by posting,and given the amount of injuries this season the omission of asquith is baffling.

Posted By: McQ
Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 8:57am

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:31am

You are factually correct that Asquith was not selected very often in the first 15 - he was usually in the 23 though. For our great win in Bath he was actually selected at 12 ahead of Parkes. It should also be noted that for much of his time with us in the early days he had the likes of a firing Foxy, Scott & Parkes to compete with which, in my humble opinion, does not compare with an off form Foxy, Tyler Morgan & Steff Hughes yet he still cannot get a game even on the bench.

Finally I have been with our performances this season yet i still choose to watch. I could of course not bother. 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You are factually correct that Asquith was not selected very often in the first 15 - he was usually in the 23 though. For our great win in Bath he was actually selected at 12 ahead of Parkes. It should also be noted that for much of his time with us in the early days he had the likes of a firing Foxy, Scott & Parkes to compete with which, in my humble opinion, does not compare with an off form Foxy, Tyler Morgan & Steff Hughes yet he still cannot get a game even on the bench.

Finally I have been with our performances this season yet i still choose to watch. I could of course not bother. 
a

Selection under Delaney has long been perplexing.Against Munster Cassiem who had played well in Edinburgh,was dropped in favour of Shingler,who hadn't played for a year.Then against Connacht,Morgan Jones was left out altogether in favour of  Rawlins,who hadn't played for ages,and RatuvaRawlins was then left out in favour of Ball for the Sale game.Likewise Rogers,proclaimed as "where we want to be as a club",was soon discarded.Current internationals,or senior squad members tend to be favoured regardless of form......with one exception,of course.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:51am

You want to disband it because two players have gone. Bonkers. 

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 11:29am

3 with baldwin Big smile

Posted By: Freddy The Turk
Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 11:35am
Never seen the guy play and if I have seen him play he hasn't stood out for me.  I suspect most on here being extremely negative are probably in the same boat. Finding it difficult to get too caught up in the doom and gloom about this one. Hope he does well and makes it though.

-------------
Serenity now. Serenity now.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 11:42am

My tongue was in my cheek when I posted. 

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 11:52am

I'm basing the quality of coaching on the style of play that's been delivered this season with teams taking the field like strangers,if your bored with the narrative then don't read them and don't feed them by posting,and given the amount of injuries this season the omission of asquith is baffling.

You totally missed the point. Your quote was he poor coach by his continued non selection is Asquith. This is a non starter as even a discussion. If he was a regular player I would accept but he has never been. 
I like him as a player. A very useful squad player but that is that. 

We have about 4 or 5 threads about Delaney out in some form or another, we do not need anymore. You can have opinion about it but keep it to the correct thread. 

You nor any other members can influence this, only the board can. So unless you become a board member keep it to one thread that I do not read anymore, so I can happily read others without see the same boring narrative 

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:05pm

You totally missed the point. Your quote was he poor coach by his continued non selection is Asquith. This is a non starter as even a discussion. If he was a regular player I would accept but he has never been. 

We have about 4 or 5 threads about Delaney out in some form or another, we do not need anymore. You can have opinion about it but keep it to the correct thread. 

You nor any other members can influence this, only the board can. So unless you become a board member keep it to one thread that I do not read anymore, so I can happily read others without see the same boring narrative 

you have also missed the point also as you said the coaches don't see him as an elite player when he hasn't started a game under them,asquith hasn't always been a starter in previous seasons but what was in front of him was streets better than this season and given the lack of creativity this year he should have been starting,i remember him digging us out of a hole at home to the italian side in europe the year we got to the semi finals,and when did you become lord and master of what and where people can post? i hope that's in the right thread.

Posted By: matt_george
Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Freddy The Turk Freddy The Turk wrote:

Never seen the guy play and if I have seen him play he hasn't stood out for me.  I suspect most on here being extremely negative are probably in the same boat. Finding it difficult to get too caught up in the doom and gloom about this one. Hope he does well and makes it though.

This. Yes, he's had a few injuries, but you'd think he'd have broken through by now if he was really that good. Shame to see him go, and of course the Ospreys factor adds fuel to the fire, but we move on with what we've got. 

On a slight tangent, is Ioan Nicholas still around, as another young centre prospect?

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:26pm
Ioan got a new 2 year deal, hes got an ankle injury at mo

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:31pm
I wonder when the Scarlets announce it, whether there will be a 6 page thread on the loss of Cassiem - a player who has become a fans favourite.... though because he isn't going to the Liberty I doubt there will be.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:36pm

I wonder when the Scarlets announce it, whether there will be a 6 page thread on the loss of Cassiem - a player who has become a fans favourite.... though because he isn't going to the Liberty I doubt there will be.

Yes. The Ospreys fascination. There’s a preconception they’ve taken dozens of our academy players. I’d love to see a list. I bet it’ll be a short one. 

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:51pm

Yes. The Ospreys fascination. There’s a preconception they’ve taken dozens of our academy players. I’d love to see a list. I bet it’ll be a short one. 

Also I bet if we were to sign one of their academy it would be seen as a coup by folk on here.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:52pm

Also I bet if we were to sign one of their academy it would be seen as a coup by folk on here.

Lets not forget that last season we signed Morgan Jones & Sam Costelow from the Tigers academy. It happens folks - its called professional sport. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:55pm

Ioan got a new 2 year deal, hes got an ankle injury at mo

I was wondering about Ioan as Pivac played him several times in the first time but it went quiet on him after Wayne left and we had some negative whinging about him not being good enough on Scarlets forums which I thought were the unacceptable. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Lets not forget that last season we signed Morgan Jones & Sam Costelow from the Tigers academy. It happens folks - its called professional sport. 

So are we parasites?LOL

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:10pm

you have also missed the point also as you said the coaches don't see him as an elite player when he hasn't started a game under them,asquith hasn't always been a starter in previous seasons but what was in front of him was streets better than this season and given the lack of creativity this year he should have been starting,i remember him digging us out of a hole at home to the italian side in europe the year we got to the semi finals,and when did you become lord and master of what and where people can post? i hope that's in the right thread.

I have not missed the point, you have just changed the narrative to you agenda. Going back to your sly digs then. I have never said I am lord and master of what people post, just posted a fact that people bring up the same drivel on every different topic when it clearly is not necessary. You however think you can try and belittle posters. Nothing new there. 

I never said anything about Asquith ability, just what I observe from all the other coaches preferences. I said I like him as a player, but he is a squad player, you cannot deny that. 

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:13pm
English Premiership clubs are able to pick up Welsh youngsters and offer them private education. Louis Rees Zammit was picked up by Gloucester and attended Hartpury for example.
Within Wales the regions are restricted to players within the region. The only region that could have signed him were his home region, the Blues. Similarly I believe that Costello’s is from the Bridgend area so would only have been available to the Ospreys. We wouldn’t have been allowed to offer either a player a scholarship to Llandovery College, as we did with George North.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:25pm

Absolutely a massive blow to hear of Osian suffering such serious injuries, I have seen the lad play over the past 3 seasons , had the potential to be a star . I just wonder did he have a medical ? before signing for them .

With regards the Scarlets developed players at the Os ,it is not a shortlist . Dan Evans, North, Scott, Osian, Rhodri Jones, Ifan Phillips, Sam Parry,Gareth Thomas and now Jac Morgan . That his not forgetting the likes of Barry Davies, Aled Davies,Barrie Williams, Rob McCusker and possibly Lee Byrne ,who was developed by the Scarlets after joining  from Bridgend Athletic .

With regards Morgan Jones he  been here for 4 seasons now, Costelow , Harry Williams, the O' Connor brothers, Morgan Macrae, Harry Breeze and Carwyn , they have all joined us from the Exiles programme, and are Welsh qualified   . Not forgetting there all Welsh qualified . So none have joined from other Welsh Regions .

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:32pm
Jeffreys is from the ospreys isnt he? So was prydie? The likes of kelly  knoyle owens pitman and brew all started with ospreys and played for us over the years haven’t they? Didn’t  barry williams join neath from llandovery or he play here first?

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:44pm
Young players are going to move between regions, a lot of these players have been with the regions academies since they were in secondary school. It is only natural that they might fancy a change of scenery & feel like they want to switch regions. Who knows Knott is only on a 2 year deal across the water, there is a chance that he could come back in a couple of years.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:48pm

Jeffreys is from the ospreys isnt he? So was prydie? The likes of kelly  knoyle owens pitman and brew all started with ospreys and played for us over the years haven’t they? Didn’t  barry williams join neath from llandovery or he play here first?

Jeffreys from the Dragons originally , no Region comes close to the Scarlets when it comes to producing Pro players, be it for us ,or other Regions or English clubs . Barrie Williams( a few senior appearances  with us )started with the legendary Scarlets under 21 team, lead by the Mighty Quinn!!! Went all season unbeaten ,Scott scoring 5 tries , when London Irish were pumped by 80 odd points .

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:51pm
We have produced a surplus in recent times...particularly 2, 7, 9, 11/14.

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 1:53pm

Jeffreys from the Dragons originally , no Region comes close to the Scarlets when it comes to producing Pro players, be it for us ,or other Regions or English clubs .

Perfectly true 157 something we should cherish, hold dear & celebrate. It may well attract parasites but what the hell!!!!

Date Posted: 09 April 2021 at 2:07pm

Jeffreys from the Dragons originally , no Region comes close to the Scarlets when it comes to producing Pro players, be it for us ,or other Regions or English clubs . Barrie Williams( a few senior appearances  with us )started with the legendary Scarlets under 21 team, lead by the Mighty Quinn!!! Went all season unbeaten ,Scott scoring 5 tries , when London Irish were pumped by 80 odd points .
two lions in that team! Barry good cricketer to in fairness

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net