Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46270
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 11:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Review of 6N commentators and pundits
Posted By: Eastern outpost
Subject: Review of 6N commentators and pundits
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:18am
If Scarlet Fever were contracted at vast expense to be in charge of broadcasting for future TV presentation of rugby:

Who would you select?
Who would you consider past their use by date?

Let’s say the positions are

Studio anchor
Pundits from each nation
Commentators and experts who assist them

There may be other categories, however, that’s a decent start.

For me,

Studio anchor - Mark Pougatch
Pundits in country alphabetical order
England - Maggie Alphonsi, Ben Kay, Flatman
Italy - struggling a bit here. Campagnaro did ok yesterday
Ireland - Best does ok, BOD 
Scotland - John Barclay, 
Wales - Philippa Tuttiett, Mike Philips, Hook maybe, Warburton obviously and Jamie Roberts too

Commentators - Andrew Cotter, Nick Mullins 
Geordan Murphy was very good yesterday. I’d keep Brian Moore, too.

Probably missed a few obvious folk, however, it’s a vast topic.

On the “no thanks, you’ve had your time and/or come back if you can prove your objectivity”
The game’s gone soft brigade plus Woodward, Dallaglio, Inverdale, Shane, Stephen Ferris and a few we suffer with on Premier Sports. Some of these guys, Ferris for example, comes out with some right old rubbish on social media.

Would love to hear more from, was it Shane Byrne? He was very objective and full of wit in the odd time I’ve heard him.

Over to you folk

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Replies:
Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:32am
Campagnaro is out for injury, he s starting to play a bit with Harlequins team A...

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:32am
I think you could add Shanklin to the "NO" category

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: gnasher1975
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

If Scarlet Fever were contracted at vast expense to be in charge of broadcasting for future TV presentation of rugby:

Who would you select?
Who would you consider past their use by date?

Let’s say the positions are

Studio anchor
Pundits from each nation
Commentators and experts who assist them

There may be other categories, however, that’s a decent start.

For me,

Studio anchor - Mark Pougatch
Pundits in country alphabetical order
England - Maggie Alphonsi, Ben Kay, Flatman
Italy - struggling a bit here. Campagnaro did ok yesterday
Ireland - Best does ok, BOD 
Scotland - John Barclay, 
Wales - Philippa Tuttiett, Mike Philips, Hook maybe, Warburton obviously and Jamie Roberts too

Commentators - Andrew Cotter, Nick Mullins 
Geordan Murphy was very good yesterday. I’d keep Brian Moore, too.

Probably missed a few obvious folk, however, it’s a vast topic.

On the “no thanks, you’ve had your time and/or come back if you can prove your objectivity”
The game’s gone soft brigade plus Woodward, Dallaglio, Inverdale, Shane, Stephen Ferris and a few we suffer with on Premier Sports. Some of these guys, Ferris for example, comes out with some right old rubbish on social media.

Would love to hear more from, was it Shane Byrne? He was very objective and full of wit in the odd time I’ve heard him.

Over to you folk

I would add Dylan Hartley and Sam Warburton to that list

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:47am
alfie a definite no,not punditry but have you seen on that 6 nations programme with gaby logan?Confused sgree about shanklin and dallaglio is so pro english he makes the premier sports ones seem nuetral.

Posted By: Lee
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:18pm
Anchor: Gabby Logan or Craig Doyle
Commentators: Andrew Cotter or Nick Mullins
Wales: Sam W
England: Martin Johnson or Jeremy Guscott (definitely not Jonny me me me Wilkinson)
Ireland: Rory Best or BOD
Scotland: John Barclay
France: Tomas C

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:23pm
Eddie Butler is class & Gabby Logan is very professional. Warburton & Johnson are very enlightening and can get that across professionally. I also still think that Brian Moore with Butler make a very good team and Jiffy is good. 

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:24pm
Easy to choose not to have. Anyone on the ITV pundit team. When I watch them I’m more than happy to pay to watch the coverage. I personally think the two female pundits are awful. 

Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Eddie Butler is class & Gabby Logan is very professional. Warburton & Johnson are very enlightening and can get that across professionally. I also still think that Brian Moore with Butler make a very good team and Jiffy is good. 
eddie makes a lot of mistakes these days yesterday he called josh adams josh navidi in one of our games he kept calling dan jones dan evans.

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Really not a fan of Eddie Butler at all. Feel he struggles to keep up with his commentary. Often stating the players name (often wrong), before waiting to see whats happening then stating what they did.

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 1:08pm
Must say I think the quality of s4c’s coverage has really improved these last few months, so I’d pick a few of them in the perfect coverage personnel. Firstly Nigel Owens as a referring correspondent- it’s nice hearing the opinion of a referee on any controversial incident. I’d also include Rhys Patchell in any commentating team - he adds quality insight during the match and reminds me much more of Sam Warburton than Shane Williams! 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 1:09pm
The chemistry between Eddie, Pit Bull is excellent. Such complimentary characters and the Jiffy factor added something as well I felt to yesterday’s team. 

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 1:49pm
Jiffy comes in for a lot of stick but I agree that he, butler and Moore make a great team. Warburton is great, Guscott is fine. Shane and Gareth Thomas would be an instant ‘no’ for me. Anyone remember who the commentary team was for the England game yesterday (commentary not pundits)?

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Jiffy comes in for a lot of stick but I agree that he, butler and Moore make a great team. Warburton is great, Guscott is fine. Shane and Gareth Thomas would be an instant ‘no’ for me. Anyone remember who the commentary team was for the England game yesterday (commentary not pundits)?
I’m sure Dallalgio was doing it wasn’t he? There was also an Irishman there as a third commentator, but I can’t remember who he or the main commentator was.

Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I’m sure Dallalgio was doing it wasn’t he? There was also an Irishman there as a third commentator, but I can’t remember who he or the main commentator was.
miles harrisson?

Posted By: Lee
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 2:26pm
Think the Irish pundit was Giordan Murphy in the England game.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 21 March 2021 at 3:02pm
Im not sure that bbc or itv care about who the viewers prefer or who is the best at their particular job, as long as they tick their boxes they carry on regardless in their own bubble.

I enjoy most of them in their own particular way, though Butler is the main man as the anchor, hes class. I think the idea that he occasionally seems pleasantly muddled is all part of his charm. Hes well prepared buts hes not scripted hes got a laid back style that allows him to improvise and banter....shave away gavin shave away lol

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 7:45pm
Add Benjamin Kayser to the list of excellence in front of the camera.

-------------

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 8:19pm
Prefer bbc and the blatant bias. Colours on their sleeves is fine for me as long as the panel is balanced one home and away and a neutral. Cannot stand itv and their constant talking over the entire game with the same sound bites ‘sextons grey hair’, ‘englands 10/12 axis’ ...bore off

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 8:51pm
Just think if they’d got Woodward, Dallaglio etc on tonight. How long could they have avoided talking about England# fabulous fifth place. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 9:02pm

Just think if they’d got Woodward, Dallaglio etc on tonight. How long could they have avoided talking about England# fabulous fifth place. Wink

I just want LOL to stop whiggling his leg up and down all the time like a nervous twitch - why hasn’t PR told the bloke to stop 😂

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 6:32am

LOLLOLLOL

Dallaglio annoyed me (again, I mean... he often does it) when v Ireland he accused the ref of awarding a penalty as a 'box-ticking exercise' - what is that supposed to mean?

The Irish commentator (not sure who it was) mildly responded that the ref was simply applying the laws. Perfect put-down!

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: solva
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 7:13am
Agree about Benjamin Kayser. A true breath of fresh air in a now stale environment.  

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 7:28am
i think andrew cotter brings a level of excitement to his commentary.

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 7:38am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

Dallaglio annoyed me (again, I mean... he often does it) when v Ireland he accused the ref of awarding a penalty as a 'box-ticking exercise' - what is that supposed to mean?

The Irish commentator (not sure who it was) mildly responded that the ref was simply applying the laws. Perfect put-down!
LOL shame it doesn’t happen more often. The classy put down was by Geordan Murphy.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Famous also for videos with his black and white labradors, Olive and Mabel. Worth a look.

-------------

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:26am
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Agree about Benjamin Kayser. A true breath of fresh air in a now stale environment.  

He was really good. 

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 10:07am

Famous also for videos with his black and white labradors, Olive and Mabel. Worth a look.

He is very good much better than Butler who is too far up himself. 
The books and videos with cotter and his dogs are excellent. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Not read his book on the dogs, yet. It’s on a present list.
His wit and humour come over at the right level and timing.

-------------

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 12:14pm
It’s sad to say but the “old guard” who are somewhat a part of the six nations: Jiffy, Andy Nichol, Butler, Moore and Guscott aren’t as insightful as the new players coming through.

The likes of Warburton, Hartley and to a less extent BOD and Monye (tho he is v annoying) offer far better insight but perhaps less entertaining that the older folks.

The whole ITV lot are useless, Woodward, Dalaligo and Wilkinson are literally just there to make the English nostalgic. 

Alfie and Scott Q are part of the blue smarties brigade - good as hype men, but don’t let them near punditry. 

The Sky Sports bunch of Greenwood, Stuart Barnes and Alex Payne are quite smug.

If CVC change up one thing hopefully it’s to transition out some of the English old brigade and start using these more recently retired insightful guys.

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I do enjoy Eddie and Pit Bull as complimentary characters and with Jiffy then as pundit ( not sure he gets the hi brow stuff mind 🤔😉)

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 2:56pm

He’s more bias than the premier sports Irish commentators. Where’s he from he’s got a very unusual accent. 

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 3:08pm
Having previously said monye was ok, his last 6 nations highlights episode on itv was really poor...The whole show was strangely wooden

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

It’s sad to say but the “old guard” who are somewhat a part of the six nations: Jiffy, Andy Nichol, Butler, Moore and Guscott aren’t as insightful as the new players coming through.

The likes of Warburton, Hartley and to a less extent BOD and Monye (tho he is v annoying) offer far better insight but perhaps less entertaining that the older folks.

The whole ITV lot are useless, Woodward, Dalaligo and Wilkinson are literally just there to make the English nostalgic. 

Alfie and Scott Q are part of the blue smarties brigade - good as hype men, but don’t let them near punditry. 

The Sky Sports bunch of Greenwood, Stuart Barnes and Alex Payne are quite smug.

If CVC change up one thing hopefully it’s to transition out some of the English old brigade and start using these more recently retired insightful guys.

I might disagree on the odd one above but I’m fully aligned on the need to refresh the pundits.

If you no longer play you are still relevant for 2-3 seasons but after that you have to watch as much rugby as you can to stay relevant. If not you just trundle out the same stuff and can only comment on what you see in the game you are watching. Nothing interesting, no anecdotes and little relevance.

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:32pm
I quite liked the 3 in the studio in last nights game.  Kayser has been a great addition in recent weeks,  JB is just so measured in everything he says, and he’s only just finished playing the game so knows what’s relevant to the here and now, and McNichol is often sensible.  The commentators and pundits on ITV have been pretty poor throughout the championship.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:34pm
Moore and butler are still the gold standard. Kay and healey are decent on bt, warbs kaser and jb ade v good i like jiffy and he covers rl so bbc get two for price of one, but yes the others prob need upgrading. Personally i don’t rate the likes of alfie shane hook or sq all poor imo

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:39pm
I disagree with changing simply because they stopped playing yrs ago....These older pros bring a different angle to the game...A nice balance of old and new gives it more flavour for me

-------------

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:41pm
Butler can’t go through a game without getting at least 2 players names hopelessly wrong (continuously).

In Wales we see or hear a lot of Holley and Shane.They are unable to attain a neutral viewpoint if the Ospreys are on the pitch.

BT, Sky etc just wouldn’t put up with either of the above traits.

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I disagree with changing simply because they stopped playing yrs ago....These older pros bring a different angle to the game...A nice balance of old and new gives it more flavour for me

...the game has less and less comparable things to a couple of decades ago though Roy...I mean by that the laws of the game as much as anything. Scrums, lineouts, tackling technique, disciplinary protocol, HIA’s and raft of subtle interpretations have evolved to a much different point.

I don’t mind senior ex pros at all, but if you are being paid to be a pundit then try and stay relevant. Watch all the rugby you can, from age grade on.
The ‘ that would never have happened in my day...’ doesn’t really have a place in my view.

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:50pm
Butler muddling the odd name doesnt bother me in the slightest but it may bother everyone else
Its all part of his charm. 
Alas no one comes within a country mile of bill mclaren he ticked every box for me and even boxes he created himself like the endless colourful descriptions and anecdotes,  cliff morgan too was majestic behind the microphone. Both these great men didnt talk over the action like so many do now , they added to what we saw. To coin a corny yankee phrase they were well prepared but also in the moment and reacted on their feet.

-------------

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Butler can’t go through a game without getting at least 2 players names hopelessly wrong (continuously).

In Wales we see or hear a lot of Holley and Shane.They are unable to attain a neutral viewpoint if the Ospreys are on the pitch.

BT, Sky etc just wouldn’t put up with either of the above traits.
ray french the bbc rl guy was shocking for that, he even used to laugh at it himself 😂😂

cotter has improved I agree and hes probably numero uno now

-------------

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:56pm
Holley good analyst i don’t like him as a commentator shanklin os basically a blues cheer leader. Mike phillips is funny and i like jamie roberts. 

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 9:01pm

Butler muddling the odd name doesnt bother me in the slightest but it may bother everyone else
Alas no one comes within a country mile of bill mclaren he ticked every box for me and even boxes he created himself like the endless colourful descriptions and anecdotes,  cliff morgan too was majestic behind the microphone. Both these great men didnt talk over the action like so many do now , they added to what we saw. To coin a corny yankee phrase they were well prepared but also in the moment and reacted on their feet.

i disagree ken.LOL

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 11:49pm

I’m sort of suggesting this is my point....Allis, Pickering, Benaud, Carpenter, Walker, McLaren, Motson...these guys were superbly informed and researched all the detail...

Mclaren was great, to tag Geoff Wheel as the ‘ Mumbles Lighthouse’ meant he needed to know where he was from, where Mumbles is, and indeed that there is a lighthouse there. Not something you’d expect your average Scotsman to know really.

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I’m sort of suggesting this is my point....Allis, Pickering, Benaud, Carpenter, Walker, McLaren, Motson...these guys were superbly informed and researched all the detail...

Mclaren was great, to tag Geoff Wheel as the ‘ Mumbles Lighthouse’ meant he needed to know where he was from, where Mumbles is, and indeed that there is a lighthouse there. Not something you’d expect your average Scotsman to know really.

Absolutely brilliantLOL

-------------

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 8:59am
Nothing beats a presenter who puts in the hard work & gets informed. I read an interesting article by Flatman recently who put into perspective what he does before any game in which he is involved. I still rate Butler & Moore highly as they are entertaining - I can certainly forgive Butler getting some names wrong.

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 11:08am
Friday was Inverdale’s last presentation shift on rugby for the BBC. He’s now on the RFU council representing the NCA.  

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 11:56am

Friday was Inverdale’s last presentation shift on rugby for the BBC. He’s now on the RFU council representing the NCA.  
Was about to post that. 

He was at his best when it didn’t involve England. I still enjoy his role covering The French Open tennis.

Wonder who will fill that spot.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 12:22pm
Maggi Alphonsi sure to be in the running. But Gabby Logan favourite I’d have thought.  

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 12:45pm

Maggi Alphonsi sure to be in the running. But Gabby Logan favourite I’d have thought.  
Excellent pundit versus versatile anchor. Not sure she brings enough gravity to proceedings, or lets the experts have enough say.
Sure, she’s a lot of knowledge given her upbringing and being married to Kenny. Perhaps not a direct comparison. Maybe she’s overqualified for an anchor. However, I never react adversely when she’s there unlike occupants of other chairs.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 12:54pm

Ticks a box at least. 

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 1:01pm
Don't know if anyone listened to scotty on radio wales this morning with george north,a schoolgirl asked him once if he could go in a tardis and go back to one game in his career which game would it be,he asked george that question george's answer was his debut against south africa to which george said what was your answer,pulling the llanelli rfc shirt on for the first time against penygroes,priceless.

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:08pm

Excellent pundit versus versatile anchor. Not sure she brings enough gravity to proceedings, or lets the experts have enough say.
Sure, she’s a lot of knowledge given her upbringing and being married to Kenny. Perhaps not a direct comparison. Maybe she’s overqualified for an anchor. However, I never react adversely when she’s there unlike occupants of other chairs.

She was very bland on the last episode. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:08pm

Don't know if anyone listened to scotty on radio wales this morning with george north,a schoolgirl asked him once if he could go in a tardis and go back to one game in his career which game would it be,he asked george that question george's answer was his debut against south africa to which george said what was your answer,pulling the llanelli rfc shirt on for the first time against penygroes,priceless.

good answer LOL pswhich scotty was that?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:17pm

She has a Law Degree from top University - Durham- so should be able to cope with Jiffy!😉

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:26pm

Was she the one compares Rees Zammit to a netball player? Awful pundit. 

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:28pm

good answer LOL pswhich scotty was that?
The mighty quinn

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

No it wasn’t Maggie 

Date Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

No it wasn’t Maggie 

who made the netball comment

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net