Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33304
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:25pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New signings
Posted By: joss
Subject: New signings
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:03am
Heard an interview on real radio at 8.30 this morning with Nigel Davies say that we can expect 4 forward signings in the very near future, no names mentioned but good news Thumbs Up

-------------
#HUMANTOURS Rise above the rest

Replies:
Posted By: Beefs army
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:07am
Sounds good although we lost 6 forwards

Assume we must be looking to bring players through system to make up numbers

-------------
Bill Shankly: "If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."

Posted By: Ian Lewis
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:10am
Assuming one of those will be Cai Griffiths, so it's only 3 signings of quality to look forward to then, hopefully.

-------------
It's not always about where you end up, it's about how you get there.

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by joss joss wrote:

Heard an interview on real radio at 8.30 this morning with Nigel Davies say that we can expect 4 forward signings in the very near future, no names mentioned but good news Thumbs Up

We knew before Nigel did mun,,,,,,,,WinkBig smile

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Originally posted by joss joss wrote:

We knew before Nigel did mun,,,,,,,,WinkBig smile

But which Nigel are you referring to Lofty??

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.

Posted By: multinational
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Ian Lewis Ian Lewis wrote:

Assuming one of those will be Cai Griffiths, so it's only 3 signings of quality to look forward to then, hopefully.

If this is the case we are dead in the water. Surely the mediocre signings are if little relevance? We need 2 locks minimum and 2 decent props minimum, without the concerns over an out and out 8!

-------------
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:22am
Multi, this may just be one set of announcements - there'll probably be a few more coming in and being announced over the next few weeks.

-------------

Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Beefs army Beefs army wrote:

Sounds good although we lost 6 forwards

Assume we must be looking to bring players through system to make up numbers

Probably be more than 6 if rumours about Welch are right.

I'd find it odd and ironic, after everything, if the Scarlets as good as released Lou and Dom but keep Welch.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:37am

we got be realistic guys every welsh region is cutting back we are not going to be able to buck the trend and bring in big names on big wages , lets not geto too excited . As long as they can give us a decent set piece ill be happy

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:49am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

we got be realistic guys every welsh region is cutting back we are not going to be able to buck the trend and bring in big names on big wages , lets not geto too excited . As long as they can give us a decent set piece ill be happy

The realsim is that we have sold or lost 4 of our first choice front 5!

If we havent got the finance to sign better locks than Day and Reed it was complete suicide to let them go surely? In seasons gone by where we have signed badly we usually have our 'fall back' players that bail us out, if we sign badly this close season we will be starting next season with Pete Edwards as our first choice TH and Timani and Shingler in the second row!!

I am not getting excited at all, far from it, if anything I fear the worst at the moment because I was an agent negotiating with the Scarlets at the moment I would basically have all the cards stacked in my favour.

We are now DESPERATE to sign 2 locks and at least one decent TH!

-------------
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:53am
they went because they got offered more money elsewhere. I agree we need to bring in players . But welsh regions are skint and we may not be that badly off but, we are going to offer less money than french clubs english clubs scottish clubs ,japanese clubs and irish clubs.

We have heard names like lydiate ryan jones ian evans etc being banded about on here theres no chance of players like that coming.

Posted By: dafj018
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:21am
for an out and out No8 look to llandovery. Kendal a 21 year old kid who blew gilbert and our llanelli backrow away a few weeks ago.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:22am

they went because they got offered more money elsewhere. I agree we need to bring in players . But welsh regions are skint and we may not be that badly off but, we are going to offer less money than french clubs english clubs scottish clubs ,japanese clubs and irish clubs.

We have heard names like lydiate ryan jones ian evans etc being banded about on here theres no chance of players like that coming.

Correct we are ok, may be a bit better than ok and there are encouraging noises being leaked. What is certain the days of name your price are well and truly over and players will be offerred sustainable and good wages, not in the 200k etc which soak up far too much of the player budget. We still have loads of players that have not been offered contracts yet and there is a lot of uncertainty on who is staying and this is compounded by players who are leaving who dont actually want to go.
We will not be bringing in dross, the loss of seasoned players must be in part equalled or bettered and surely after seeing our pack mullered over in Europe on occassions and outmuscled in key games, surely the coaches and Management at the Parc have the same feeling as we have, where enough is bloody enough and WE MUST HAVE A PACK TO COMPETE.

With that in mind, im sure we will have players who will fill the void who will provide the platform we desperately need to win competitions. Anything else is just lunacy, we have endured years of a pack that just havent delivered on a constant basis, its the consistancy we need, not just "up" for games.

Im confident we will have a few suprises which will ensure the Scarlets are the Pack leaders, no trailers.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:23am

It's not quite this black and white though, yes they were offered more money, but significantly more? - No

Lou was keen to stay, but was actually offered a pay cut as far as I've read on this forum. I am sure that Bath aren't rolling in it either so I can't see Day having been offered huge money. I am not suggesting that they were good enough to warrant keeping them but if (as you suggest) we are struggling financially to sign better, then I would have kept both and looked to invest in maybe one decent lock alongside them.

As it stands we are now trying to sign at least 2 'better' players, surely these signings should have been in place BEFORE we let our other options leave?

And without sounding horrible, Rhys' situation should have seen our recruitment drive being immediate for a TH!!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:28am

Correct we are ok, may be a bit better than ok and there are encouraging noises being leaked. What is certain the days of name your price are well and truly over and players will be offerred sustainable and good wages, not in the 200k etc which soak up far too much of the player budget. We still have loads of players that have not been offered contracts yet and there is a lot of uncertainty on who is staying and this is compounded by players who are leaving who dont actually want to go.
We will not be bringing in dross, the loss of seasoned players must be in part equalled or bettered and surely after seeing our pack mullered over in Europe on occassions and outmuscled in key games, surely the coaches and Management at the Parc have the same feeling as we have, where enough is bloody enough and WE MUST HAVE A PACK TO COMPETE.

With that in mind, im sure we will have players who will fill the void who will provide the platform we desperately need to win competitions. Anything else is just lunacy, we have endured years of a pack that just havent delivered on a constant basis, its the consistancy we need, not just "up" for games.

Im confident we will have a few suprises which will ensure the Scarlets are the Pack leaders, no trailers. 

I have bolded the comments that smack of poor management so far. We are trying to sell season tickets and attract people, there literally should have been announcements of new recruits in Sunday's papers. Thanks to Steve, but here is the new guard etc.

Day, Reed etc were on nowhere near 200k, nor did they leave for that money, but what do you think the going rate for a quality TH and second row currently is?

As I have said, if our signings aren't already in place, then agents are going to shaft us, and I'm afraid that dross is very much expected!

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

I have bolded the comments that smack of poor management so far. We are trying to sell season tickets and attract people, there literally should have been announcements of new recruits in Sunday's papers. Thanks to Steve, but here is the new guard etc.

Day, Reed etc were on nowhere near 200k, nor did they leave for that money, but what do you think the going rate for a quality TH and second row currently is?

As I have said, if our signings aren't already in place, then agents are going to shaft us, and I'm afraid that dross is very much expected!
Manuel Carizza isn't dross.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Manuel Carizza isn't dross.

Haven't heard the Scarlets announce he has signed yet either!

-------------

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:39am
Nigel saying in the Fail today that we are looking to bring in 4 first teamcalibre forwards. Whether Cai is included within that group I don't know, but I'd be dissapointed if he was. Clearly we are looking to recruit, and I feel more positive at the moment than I have over recent weeks.

Here's a thought though. Perhaps we have already signed some decent players. But, whilst the season goes on elsewhere, surely we are unlikely to make announcements. I imagine we want a big photoshoot at Parc y Scarlets around the time that ST's go on general sale, when those players would be available to us. That's what I keep telling myself anyhow.

-------------
#George

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Nigel saying in the Fail today that we are looking to bring in 4 first teamcalibre forwards. Whether Cai is included within that group I don't know, but I'd be dissapointed if he was. Clearly we are looking to recruit, and I feel more positive at the moment than I have over recent weeks.

Here's a thought though. Perhaps we have already signed some decent players. But, whilst the season goes on elsewhere, surely we are unlikely to make announcements. I imagine we want a big photoshoot at Parc y Scarlets around the time that ST's go on general sale, when those players would be available to us. That's what I keep telling myself anyhow.

Thanks OAM, you may be spot on, ClapClapClap 

-------------

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:44am
I cant see us having the money for Ian Evans, Ryan Jones or Lydiate and to be honest I dont know if more welsh internationals would be good for us, they get battered by Gatland and we'd hardly see them, even if it may cost less to have them if central contracts come in, 12 games a season isnt worth having more welsh internationals than we already have imo.
Carizza would have less games with the Argies, so him and say Mika could work, or alternatively 2 Mika type signings. 2 big, good tight heads are a must.
The region have been at pains to say that they have been very measured, and that they havent rushed the decisions, based on that, we should get the right players.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:50am

Respect your views my friend, but shouldnt we wait until the words of players names are spoken or printed before writing individuals off as "dross".
I still find it incredible that a name is mentioned and he is immediately slated as dross, rubbish, crap, not worthy, etc, not aimed directly at your post, but it is a current theme on the forum.

-------------

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:52am
If we were able to offload both Reed and Welch then we should have kept Day.

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:56am
I thought that Mike. I'm just wondering are we witnessing a sea change regarding the club's use of Aaron, is he becoming more of a lock option with the emergence of Kieron and Matt in the backrow?

-------------
#George

Posted By: omri jones
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:07pm
The reason why there may be some hope of signing Ian Evans or Ryan Jones is that the Ospreys may still be finding it difficult to get wages down to the £3.5 million cap. They will  probably be offered more money in France, but this would mean a wholesale disruption to their lives, whereas crossing the Llwchwr does not. Also who knows what will happen to taxes, the Euro etc in France when the new Govt gets to work. If Manu stays we are looking for 1 top class tight head plus one squad player but we still need two top class second rows. I don't think we need a back row player unless he is a big ball carrier and can also play in the second row

Posted By: New_scarlet
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:10pm
Seriously, can you see Nigel announcing 4 blatantly poor signings? Just think what that would do to the morale, support base etc. Nigel and the management aren't stupid so let's not treat them as such. Mark Davies is well aware of the cr4p signings we have made over the years so they will all be fully focussed on getting it right.
Does anyone HONESTLY expect the signings to be Cai, some kid from a junior club, an elderly ex-international and Barry Davies??

Posted By: the ezmanoid
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:11pm
If my source is correct Ian evans will not be signing he wanted to come at 170grand a year bit we turned him down.

-------------
what is point?

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:14pm
for an out and out ball carrying No8 look to llandovery. Kendal a 21 year old kid who blew gilbert and our llanelli backrow away a few weeks ago.   If he's not already going south that is

Posted By: Dan the Drover
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by New_scarlet New_scarlet wrote:

Seriously, can you see Nigel announcing 4 blatantly poor signings? ......
Does anyone HONESTLY expect the signings to be Cai, some kid from a junior club, an elderly ex-international and Barry Davies??

World class players are expensive.  That tends to rule out players that people on here are likely to have heard of.  The players we HAVE heard of will either be tooexpensive if good, or not performing well where they are if cheap.  I'm hoping for some players we haven't heard of, but who are judged by the search team to have unrecognised potential.  They are the players most likely to be willing and able to adapt themselves to the Scarlets style.  It stands to reason we can't compete with French money for players who've already made a name for themselves.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by omri jones omri jones wrote:

The reason why there may be some hope of signing Ian Evans or Ryan Jones is that the Ospreys may still be finding it difficult to get wages down to the £3.5 million cap. They will  probably be offered more money in France, but this would mean a wholesale disruption to their lives, whereas crossing the Llwchwr does not. Also who knows what will happen to taxes, the Euro etc in France when the new Govt gets to work. If Manu stays we are looking for 1 top class tight head plus one squad player but we still need two top class second rows. I don't think we need a back row player unless he is a big ball carrier and can also play in the second row

But they could move to a club in the west country (and btw bath are loaded) and still not move. Do you really think the ospreys will rip up their contracts and let them come to us? I'll gurantee you that evans jones lydiate and cuthbert will not play for us next season , feel free to come back and quote me on this if they do

Posted By: New_scarlet
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Dan the Drover Dan the Drover wrote:

Originally posted by New_scarlet New_scarlet wrote:

Seriously, can you see Nigel announcing 4 blatantly poor signings? ......

World class players are expensive.  .That tends to rule out players that people on here are likely to have heard of  The players we HAVE heard of will either be tooexpensive if good, or not performing well where they are if cheap.  I'm hoping for some players we haven't heard of, but who are judged by the search team to have unrecognised potential.  They are the players most likely to be willing and able to adapt themselves to the Scarlets style.  It stands to reason we can't compete with French money for players who've already made a name for themselves.
We haven't really heard of Carizza but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good signing. Whoever we sign they cannot be inferior to what we have lost or do you disagree? Tot up the salaries of all the players who have now finished and you come up with an awful lot of money. Add to that potential new investors and you have decent funds. I am not suggesting we do a Toulon and splash ridiculous amounts, we have never done that really (Botica apart) and we have a knack for developing average players or ones who have lost some interest (Lamont). What we can't do is sign poor rugby players, they must have potential.

Posted By: Tumblescarlet
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:01pm

The realsim is that we have sold or lost 4 of our first choice front 5!

If we havent got the finance to sign better locks than Day and Reed it was complete suicide to let them go surely? In seasons gone by where we have signed badly we usually have our 'fall back' players that bail us out, if we sign badly this close season we will be starting next season with Pete Edwards as our first choice TH and Timani and Shingler in the second row!!

I am not getting excited at all, far from it, if anything I fear the worst 
                 Aint that the truth, crikey, loosen up multi, none of us know who's coming so let's  at least give the people behind the scenes some credit and let them do their jobs.

-------------
Wales only true rugby region.

Posted By: SMELLYMIKE
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:05pm
Someone needs to put multi on 24 hr surveilance......hes suicidal at best over info that hasnt been confirmed or denied...and may isnt even out there...whats he going to be like in august when the mad season is in full swing

-------------
I am only responsible for what I say. Not for what you understand

Posted By: kcreg
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:10pm
i'm sure that i saw ryan jones in the coffeepot earlier have a coffee pot special.interesting aye!!

-------------
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!

Posted By: SMELLYMIKE
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

i'm sure that i saw ryan jones in the coffeepot earlier have a coffee pot special.interesting aye!!
He was looking for you special socks 

-------------
I am only responsible for what I say. Not for what you understand

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:12pm

Hopefully you didnt speak to him and put him off,,,,,,,Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

He was looking for you special socks 
my socks have gone in the bin pal.i've got something new for next season.lucky scarlets boxer shorts!!!

-------------

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by dafj018 dafj018 wrote:

for an out and out No8 look to llandovery. Kendal a 21 year old kid who blew gilbert and our llanelli backrow away a few weeks ago.

Heard some weeks ago from a source close to the club that they were very impressed with a No 8 playing for Llandovery, no names were mentioned though. Maybe its this chap.

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:23pm
Success cannot be gained purely by buying big names . Remember kees and the othe tall guy who went to japan ? We have got more out of k murphy - a local kid than any of those. We were right to let day and lou go because they've had their chances . What we need are players who are hungry and want to prove themselves whether their Georgian , Russian , Japanese or buryportian . Attititude is everything and I expect nige and the team to make the right decisions . When they're announced you'll have the likes of multi etc complaining but we won't be able to make any judgements until next season . So calm down , relax and enjoy the summer .

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Success cannot be gained purely by buying big names . Remember kees and the othe tall guy who went to japan ? We have got more out of k murphy - a local kid than any of those. We were right to let day and lou go because they've had their chances . What we need are players who are hungry and want to prove themselves whether their Georgian , Russian , Japanese or buryportian . Attititude is everything and I expect nige and the team to make the right decisions . When they're announced you'll have the likes of multi etc complaining but we won't be able to make any judgements until next season . So calm down , relax and enjoy the summer .

Excellent Huw,ClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:28pm
Somebody will snap him up lets hope scarlets get there first. He's been awesome for the Drovers this season. Lost count of how many MOM's he's had

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

..whats he going to be like in august when the mad season is in full swing

As Rowan Atkinson said, he may be like:

The Blind Man ....

In the Dark Room ....

Looking for the Black Cat ....

That Isn't There!

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:35pm

Somebody will snap him up lets hope scarlets get there first. He's been awesome for the Drovers this season. Lost count of how many MOM's he's had

Once upon a time, that would have been Neath.  But they may not have as much money to spend next season, so the Scarlets may have a better chance.  I hope they don't put him on a development contract, though, because then he'll be playing for Llanelli RFC.  Mind you, if it's a choice between that and Neath ....  Smile

Posted By: droverrugby
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:41pm
I hope he stays with us

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:50pm
Nice to hear of yet another discovery from within the region, Ben goes, along comes another one, and I'm already a big fan of Murphy. Not overly concerned about the back row, Richie McCaw would be nice, but that's not going to happen, so enter stage left..young Daniel Thomas!

Get the boiler house sorted, and its time rock and roll.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:54pm
Murphy is not quite the big ball carrier.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:00pm

Granted, but watch his footwork, invariably gets otherside of the tackler that way. Talented footballer. Is Kendal a bigger guy? If so then its a good combination. We've also got the option of Rob Mac, Josh or even Shingler at 8.

-------------

Posted By: wetweatherwinger
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:01pm

Paul James leaving for Bath will finally enable us o be below the wage cap. Take it as read that Ianto, Lydiate nor Ryan will be at Parc y Scarlets next year there is absolutely no truth in these boys moving on whatsoever!

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:03pm
Kendal is very powerful going forward, always crosses gain line and then some and very fast. Good to have options though, different strengths.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Granted, but watch his footwork, invariably gets otherside of the tackler that way. Talented footballer. Is Kendal a bigger guy? If so then its a good combination. We've also got the option of Rob Mac, Josh or even Shingler at 8.

All of who have been tried there, and weren't any good. Lets not get into a position of square pegs in round holes!

I'm not depressed, just lacking faith in a management structure that hasn't recruited correctly for ages and, despite the fact that the rumour mill works overtime on here, I am not gullible enough to believe we have signed anyone yet.

I wait in trepidation for the fantastic players we have / are going to sign, but the fact is that is that if they get it wrong this season the repercussions would be far worse than we have ever experienced before - no alternatives available, international stars dis-illusioned, and a fan base that will diminish!

-------------

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:13pm
i dont agree there multi, we`ve had 3-4 years of culling old guards, and signing nobody.

producing only from within. yet our crowds are mulitplying each year.

nigel has had one hand behind his back, lost loads of players yet improved the team from within.

i think it was time to have a clean sweep. 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

i dont agree there multi, we`ve had 3-4 years of culling old guards, and signing nobody.

nigel has had one hand behind his back, lost loads of players yet improved the team from within.

Fair enough, I agree that we have developed within mate, but the crowds have swelled due to the fact we have our backs - even though they rarely get to see them play. Call it fantastic judgement from Pwd (or just luck that players thrown into the deep end have been succesful) but we have been relativel succesful with little external expenditure (of course keeping these players now comes at a cost).

Surely though a clean sweep should work in the reverse to what we have done? You don't get rid unless there is something else already in place. If they have signed players, where is the logic in keeping it quiet?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:34pm

Fair enough, I agree that we have developed within mate, but the crowds have swelled due to the fact we have our backs - even though they rarely get to see them play. Call it fantastic judgement from Pwd (or just luck that players thrown into the deep end have been succesful) but we have been relativel succesful with little external expenditure (of course keeping these players now comes at a cost).

Surely though a clean sweep should work in the reverse to what we have done? You don't get rid unless there is something else already in place. If they have signed players, where is the logic in keeping it quiet?

We do have regular discussions,WinkBig smile

-------------

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:01pm
Four pages and no ridiculous names mentioned. I'm impressed.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:09pm
I'm sorry to saee Day go.....now.... but in the autumn I thought he was useless. He seemed to up his performance considerably the moment that rumours surfaced about his future. And that is just not good enough; he should have been performing before his future was threatened.

I've thought for a while that Kendall is a bit like Ben. And more likely than Murphy (for all his skills and perseverance) to be the No 8 who really makes an impact at regional or even higher level. He should be brought into the regional set-up for pre-season training and see how he goes from there. He is a talent.

What puzzles me about the lack of announcements on the recruitment front is that, Carizza apart, there is so little detailed news. We know who is leaving and, on the whole, to where they are going. Why do we not know who is coming?

Posted By: TRFC
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:39pm

I think the stats actually suggest that Murphy averages more carries than Ben Morgan

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:57pm
I think Kendall was in the Scarlets agegrade teams and like Adam Warren not in the Academy, but has now developed further and is back in contention again. If he's brought in along with Dan Thomas and Sion Bennett given a development contract we really don't need to spend any more money on the back row. But no-one is arguing that we also need at least 2 tightheads and two locks along with an experienced kicking squad OH(ideally something like Steve Shingler). Cai Griffiths and Haydn Pugh do not qualify for any of these positions but if we are to have a squad of 45-60 as stated by Nigel then they can be counted in .

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:07pm
But not strong enough in contact, often goes backwards

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:13pm

Murphy not strong enough in contact, often goes backwards

Posted By: BillyBigBalls
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:30pm

We have signed Cai Griffiths, or players equally as uninspiring( if that is possible), so it would have a negative impact on ticket sales. That, or we have not signed all the players we need yet because we are waiting for the cut price "sales" to begin.

Last season was the same, announced all the players in one announcement. Which is bad marketing when you have an off-season and you really want to maintain interest through a steady stream of excitement towards the begining of the next season.

Losing our best 3 props(including Manu who is leaving), our 2 most experienced locks, our only out-and-out number 8, and our 2 most experienced backs(including our most consistant kicker, and arguably the hardest working winger). I think we are going to struggle next season, unless we somehow eliminate all mistakes in training during our off-season, have another bucket load of luck next season and unearth some rough diamonds who are world class in recruitment.

Posted By: cornelius
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:49pm
MUST - 1TH, 1 Lock - Both of exceptional quality

Need - 1 TH, 1 LH, 1 Lock - Three of HC/international quality

Be nice - Ball carrying No. 8, Classy 7, Experienced utility back with a boot

Expected - Some unearthed Gems and quality promoted from the Academy

Added extra - Nice shiny supporters bar under the East Stand

Bargain Bucket - Cai, new bouncy game for the kids at the Barn

PS - I wish Cai the best and hope he does well

-------------
Y Gorllewin Pell

Posted By: Scarletjelly
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:56pm
Murphy deserves his chance looks like solid player!

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:17pm
Luke Kendall, good solid Emlyn stock. Like Ben, always had the potential, but this year seems to have nuckled down.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:23pm
Is this the possible side/squad as you see it so far?

liam
north
jd
scott
stodds
rhys
gareth
murphy/kendal/gilbert
turnbull
mccusker
timani
carizza
Georgian prop
rees
rhodri
reps, cai griff/pete, ken, shingler,gilbert, tavis, jordan, warren, kristian phillips/iongi

other contenders, gardner, kirby, welch? Jedward, nathan thomas, samson lee, aled thomas, maule, iongi, fenby, newton, etc

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Is this the possible side/squad as you see it so far?

liam
north
jd
scott
stodds
rhys
gareth
murphy/kendal/gilbert
turnbull
mccusker
timani
carizza
Georgian prop
rees
rhodri
reps, cai griff/pete, ken, shingler,gilbert, tavis, jordan, warren, kristian phillips/iongi

other contenders, gardner, kirby, welch? Jedward, nathan thomas, samson lee, aled thomas, maule, iongi, fenby, newton, etc

Now add the realism of a season and remove 2 or 3 players through injury and see what we end up with!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Luke Kendall, good solid Emlyn stock. Like Ben, always had the potential, but this year seems to have nuckled down.

I was fortunate to be born in Llanelli, but you are starting to convince me Emlyn is a fine place for a baby's first smile Chipmeister....

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:45pm

I was fortunate to be born in Llanelli, but you are starting to convince me Emlyn is a fine place for a baby's first smile Chipmeister....

Like you mate started Luke has started the productiuon line early...just become a dad recently I think!

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:44pm
liam
north
jd
scott
stodds
rhys
gareth
kendal
turnbull
mccusker
timani
carizza
Georgian prop
rees
rhodri
reps, cai griff/pete, ken, shingler,gilbert, tavis, jordan, warren, kristian phillips/iongi

There u go multi, removed two players. still looks strong

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:53pm

Since the opening of the new premises on the way to beautiful downtown Llandyfriog what is going on up there? 

Something in the proximity to the Teifi?

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:53pm
With no signings announced yet we have -

Liam / Newton / Jordan
North / Fenby
Scott / Maule
Foxy /warren / owen Williams
Stodds / iongi
Rhys / Aled Thomas
Tav / Cawdor / Aled / rhodri
Murphy / Gilbert / kendall
Turnbull / dan Thomas / Jon eds
McCusker / Craig price
Shingler / ed price
Timani
Gardner / samson / Pete
Smiler / ken / Emyr / kirby
Rhodri / Phil

That's what we have without new signings. Add to this list the likelihood of 4 forwards plus kristian Phillips and maybe another back, and it's a fresh looking squad.

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Liam / Newton / Jordan
North / Fenby
Scott / Maule
Stodds / iongi
Rhys / Aled Thomas
McCusker / Craig price
Shingler / ed price
Timani
Gardner / samson / Pete
Rhodri / Phil

That's what we have without new signings. Add to this list the likelihood of 4 forwards plus kristian Phillips and maybe another back, and it's a fresh looking squad.

10 is obviously bare on your list, Newton, Owen Williams or Rhys Jones or ANO perhaps?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:27pm
we have quality  at back 3, centre, scrum half  flankers and hooker

v short at prop second row and 8.

As for K Phillips , his defence is not good enough at the regional level

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:37pm

Liam / Newton / Jordan
North / Fenby
Scott / Maule
Stodds / iongi
Rhys / Aled Thomas
McCusker / Craig price
Shingler / ed price
Timani
Gardner / samson / Pete
Rhodri / Phil

Who, do you think is our top earner now that Stevo's gone?

Smiler? Foxy? Rhys and George will be up there in a couple of years. Still, I don't think Smiler or Foxy are anywhere near what Stevo, Lyons or King were earning. Add to that Iestyn, Rhys T, Dom, Reed... That's a huge chunk of money.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:52pm

Liam / Newton / Jordan
North / Fenby
Scott / Maule
Stodds / iongi
Rhys / Aled Thomas
McCusker / Craig price
Shingler / ed price
Timani
Gardner / samson / Pete
Rhodri / Phil

I think you`re being very hopeful with some of your promotions from the RFC sides.

Depending on how the fixture list treats us, who ends up with Team Wales and if we have anything like the injury situation we`ve had over the last 4 years and as that squad currently stands, we`ll do well not to end up as the 4th Welsh region next season. 

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:05pm
Lewis Rawlings Cross Keys young lock .

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:32am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

looks a promising player

-------------

Posted By: Bryn A! Wel!
Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:31am

But Lewis has already signed for the Scarlets.

That's the Keys coach being quoted in the Fail today. Seems like a done deal.

-------------
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:43am
Bryn, I'll just put more of the article on here to get the jest of what was said:

Athletic hooker and Blues target Gerwyn Price scored a brilliant try to reinforce his credentials to step up to regional level.

But Woods blasted Gwent region Dragons for being too slow to act.

"I think every region is interested in Gerwyn. He should be playing professional rugby.

"We, at Keys, pride ourselves on being a good stable for Gwent rugby. Gerwyn and Lewis Rawlins are the next two ready for regional level.

"But Lewis has already signed for the Scarlets. The sad thing is Gwent will have to pay big money to bring them back in a few years time. It's baffling."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/05/07/cross-keys-32-19-pontypridd-keys-lift-swalec-cup-91466-30919855/#ixzz1uG3cJQ00

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:23am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Liam / Newton / Jordan
North / Fenby
Scott / Maule
Stodds / iongi
Rhys / Aled Thomas
McCusker / Craig price
Shingler / ed price
Timani
Gardner / samson / Pete
Rhodri / Phil

I think you`re being very hopeful with some of your promotions from the RFC sides.

Depending on how the fixture list treats us, who ends up with Team Wales and if we have anything like the injury situation we`ve had over the last 4 years and as that squad currently stands, we`ll do well not to end up as the 4th Welsh region next season. 

The semi pros I've pug into next season are not first choice, I firmly believe they will be in the squad next season especially dan Thomas. Samson lee is there purely down to the fact he's a prop and we need 10 front row players in a squad at least. Owen can cover both 10 and 12 and is a very solid player. More than good enough to be a squad player IMO. Dan Thomas is just something else, he will have a few games next season, again, great squad player. Jordan another young class act who will feature next season. Craig price would have featured this season had it not been for his injury. He was the one having the chance but injury allowed Gilbert instead, Craig price a very good back rower who plays 6,7 and 8. Ed price, I think he's pretty new for semi pros but has put big aggressive performances every time. A very decent prospect at lock who IMO will be with the main squad at some point of next season.

Posted By: Bryn A! Wel!
Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:35am
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Since the opening of the new premises on the way to beautiful downtown Llandyfriog what is going on up there? 

Something in the proximity to the Teifi?

Always been that way, mun! Wink

-------------
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Tumblescarlet Tumblescarlet wrote:

looks a promising player

Yep ClapClapClap and stick him in Scarlet and he will be awesome. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:07am
Rawlins needs a good deal of bulking up and work on his power before he is ready for the region. Ed Price has a more traditional look about him for a lock, but there are no details on him in the Llanelli website. How old is he and what previous experience does he have?
Would also be useful to know what's happening with Galley, Barley and the Jones twins.

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:21am
Duw, i hope he realises how lucky he is to be joining the scarlet family

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:25pm

Rawlins needs a good deal of bulking up and work on his power before he is ready for the region. Ed Price has a more traditional look about him for a lock, but there are no details on him in the Llanelli website. How old is he and what previous experience does he have?
Would also be useful to know what's happening with Galley, Barley and the Jones twins.
I might be wrong but I think ed price is the lock that vernon cooper brought down from ystradgynlais. I think is 21/22. Big boy who has also played 6 for the semi pros once of twice. Craig price who we signed last summer from tonmawr showed very good promise, was meant to be involved in LV but was injured and was out for a while, not long come back. Galley started coming back but was playing 50 mins then he's not even starting or benching and ed price is playing instead. Not sure if galley is injured again.

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:30pm
Diolch PE SA.

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:47pm

I might be wrong but I think ed price is the lock that vernon cooper brought down from ystradgynlais. I think is 21/22. Big boy who has also played 6 for the semi pros once of twice. Craig price who we signed last summer from tonmawr showed very good promise, was meant to be involved in LV but was injured and was out for a while, not long come back. Galley started coming back but was playing 50 mins then he's not even starting or benching and ed price is playing instead. Not sure if galley is injured again.
Yes he is out for the summer apparently, shoulder I think.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:15pm
Gutting. I hope joel can overcome his injuries. But for young boy he's having a lot of set backs. Gutting.

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:28pm
did lewis rawlings play in the cup final yesterday?

-------------

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!

Posted By: scarletman
Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:52am

did lewis rawlings play in the cup final yesterday?

Started on the bench !

-------------
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !

Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:05am
But he played the whole of the second half in the second row. As I said previously in another post he is tall and quite athletic but he looks as if he needs a long session with Simon Gardiner's dietician as well as regular sessions on the weights.

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:30pm

But he played the whole of the second half in the second row. As I said previously in another post he is tall and quite athletic but he looks as if he needs a long session with Simon Gardiner's dietician as well as regular sessions on the weights.

-------------
In Pivac we trust

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

"Dust!, there's no fat in dust!" LOLLOLLOL

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:41pm

Pete the Meat doesnt have a dietician and look where its got him.....

Seriously though, it looks like we will have a smattering of quality signings and look for these to bring the boys through. Start a HC game next season with Timani and Carizza with one of the lads on the bench.

Posted By: stuscarlet
Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:22pm
Quality signings? is there anybody confirmed??

-------------
Why are Leicester called the tigers surely the cheatahs would be more appropriate

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Pete the Meat doesnt have a dietician and look where its got him.....

Seriously though, it looks like we will have a smattering of quality signings and look for these to bring the boys through. Start a HC game next season with Timani and Carizza with one of the lads on the bench.

Unfortunately, Pete's weight is what carries him as a player.

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Unfortunately, Pete's weight is what carries him as a player.

Lucky guy.  With me, it's the other way round. Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net