Forum Description: No topics, just chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31838
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:52pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stuck in the 70's and 80's
Posted By: Wil Chips
Subject: Stuck in the 70's and 80's
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 8:56am
This was prompted by a comment from Mrs C about how, when she was buying me a wallet for Xmas, she got exasporated that I wanted an exact duplicate of the one I had (which was in tatters)...and in turn was an exact copy of the one I had prior to that...

In a rare reflective moment she has got a point...

Other things she has said along the same tracks and to back her case up that I'm regressing and using the 70's venacular too much...

--at the zoo the other day...'Do you have to do animal voices like Johnny Morris used to on Animal Magic every time you see an animal?'
(I said back in the voice that Johnny used for slow moving animals like tortoises 'We are little bit tired today. Yes. A little bit tired'
Didn't go down well.

--when messing about with the kids I had my 6 year old pinned down with a (pretty deft) arm lock and spin and kept saying to the Mrs who was sat reading her paper 'Ask him ref, ask him now ref, go on ask 'im'.
World of Sport Saturday afternoon 4pm.

Happening to anyone else this?

Replies:
Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:04am
80's music rules and always will - that's a fact.

Not old enough to show 70's characteristics but I'm currently wearing some footwear approx. 10 years old and an adidas t shirt that belongs in the 80's.

I also haven't taken to facebook or twitter and talk to people in work instead of emailing them which suggests I've got potential to become stuck in the 80's and 90's for a considerable time.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Not old enough to show 70's characteristics but I'm currently wearing some footwear approx. 10 years old and an adidas t shirt that belongs in the 80's.

I also haven't taken to facebook or twitter and talk to people in work instead of emailing them which suggests I've got potential to become stuck in the 80's and 90's for a considerable time.

See above. Well, most of it.

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:37am
70's was the best, just simply bonkers, Llanelli was bonkers as well,, great it was mun.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:42am

with you all the way

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:52am
Anyone revert to Del boy French when confronted by anything remotely foreign?

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Anyone revert to Del boy French when confronted by anything remotely foreign?
#
may weeLOL

Posted By: SMELLYMIKE
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 10:22am
IM definitely a person of today

-------------
I am only responsible for what I say. Not for what you understand

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

IM definitely a person of today
you are definitely yesterday's man

Posted By: bazlewis
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 12:22pm
Addidas or Puma trainers

Fred Perry shirts and Jumpers

Farrah slacks

The only thing that fit now are the trainers.

Any one who left school between the late 60's early 70's will remember.

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by bazlewis bazlewis wrote:

Addidas or Puma trainers

Fred Perry shirts and Jumpers

Farrah slacks

The only thing that fit now are the trainers.

Any one who left school between the late 60's early 70's will remember.
that's pretty much me now

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 3:17pm
Rap your are Mr Smooth, think you may have been born in the wrong decade.

Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 5:13pm
Have to say it again but Llanelli was brilliant in the 70's completely insane. ...So many crazy nutty places.

-------------

Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 8:51pm
*Northern Accent*

My mother-in-law is so ugly........

there's no punchline, she's REALLY ugly.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

*Northern Accent*

My mother-in-law is so ugly........

there's no punchline, she's REALLY ugly.

Sounds like a line from a Les Dawson monologue LOL

Date Posted: 28 January 2012 at 2:22am
Like most people who have left their home village,I think time adds enchantment...and also you think when you go back 20 years later nothing will have changed, the same guy is sat at the same bar stool, the daffs are growing in the church yard, someone is taking a sheep for a walk on a lead.

Last time I went back home and walked in to the local the guy on the bar stool said...'MUST be you're round by now surely'.

Emlyn is like that place in Twin Peaks
...I blame all this on my upbringing.

Date Posted: 28 January 2012 at 9:03am
70's was the peak of musical creativity, factWink The best sport as well, Big Ron's Albion side breakiing down racial barriers/Malcom Allison's fedora/Best and Marsh/Bowles/Cunnigham/Regis/Keegan/ Benny's try in Murrayfield/my first Scarlets match/James Hunt/Barry Sheene/Borg/Conteh/Ali/Jackie Pallo....jumpers for goalposts, isn't it? mmmm? Marvelous.

Date Posted: 28 January 2012 at 9:04am
Brings a nostalgic tear top the eye!

Date Posted: 30 January 2012 at 10:07am
Originally posted by no.6 no.6 wrote:

70's was the peak of musical creativity, factWink The best sport as well, Big Ron's Albion side breakiing down racial barriers/Malcom Allison's fedora/Best and Marsh/Bowles/Cunnigham/Regis/Keegan/ Benny's try in Murrayfield/my first Scarlets match/James Hunt/Barry Sheene/Borg/Conteh/Ali/Jackie Pallo....jumpers for goalposts, isn't it? mmmm? Marvelous.

Spot on post Sir, of the 70's 80's 90's and now in 20's, the 70's was a fantastic time to grow up, i agree with all your sentiments.Clap

The 60's was special too, walking to Dafen Primary school with the clay overhead buckets going to the brick works, everybody walked to school then playing football with Havard Road Colts, playing football on Dafen school yard with Dickie, Popeye, the brilliant Bongo and all those great children, happy happy years.

Mrs Morgan canning the crap out of me, for being my usual self, my mam walking to the school to deck her for going to far. Mr Evans the Headmaster talking about the War and the Spitfires, Hippy type teacher students strumming guitars and singing Bob Dylan songs, the nit lady, horrible semolina yuk stuff in the school cantten and a horrible canteen lady who kept clipping me across my bonce for refusing to eat it, brown satchels that were far to small for all the homework i never did, holes in my shoes, one pair a year, hopefully leather soles cos they lasted the longest, played in them, went to school in them, hating the rain cos you feet always got wet due to the holes, taping up cornflake packets into squares and putting them into your inserts and hoped they would last the day. Having one yogurt a week from the milkman, Ski it was and it was bloody lush, only having fruit and grapes and nuts at Christmas, never saw the things all year.
Getting up in the morning and hoping your father had lit the fire and at least it would be warm in the living room, lino was bloody freezing in winter, hated it when the newspaper was stuck on the fire guard and drawing the fire, all the heat was hidden, waking up and there would be frost on your bedsheet, bloody freezing mun. Everybody though was in the same boat and for me even though it was hard i look back with fondness because i was bloody happy.
And then the 70's and Stebo in the big boys school, i absolutely loved the place, bonkers place. Yep the 70's was a great time and where the Lofty nickname was created by a Stebonheath teacher, 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Originally posted by no.6 no.6 wrote:

Spot on post Sir, of the 70's 80's 90's and now in 20's, the 70's was a fantastic time to grow up, i agree with all your sentiments.Clap

The 60's was special too, walking to Dafen Primary school with the clay overhead buckets going to the brick works, everybody walked to school then playing football with Havard Road Colts, playing football on Dafen school yard with Dickie, Popeye, the brilliant Bongo and all those great children, happy happy years.

Mrs Morgan canning the crap out of me, for being my usual self, my mam walking to the school to deck her for going to far. Mr Evans the Headmaster talking about the War and the Spitfires, Hippy type teacher students strumming guitars and singing Bob Dylan songs, the nit lady, horrible semolina yuk stuff in the school cantten and a horrible canteen lady who kept clipping me across my bonce for refusing to eat it, brown satchels that were far to small for all the homework i never did, holes in my shoes, one pair a year, hopefully leather soles cos they lasted the longest, played in them, went to school in them, hating the rain cos you feet always got wet due to the holes, taping up cornflake packets into squares and putting them into your inserts and hoped they would last the day. Having one yogurt a week from the milkman, Ski it was and it was bloody lush, only having fruit and grapes and nuts at Christmas, never saw the things all year.
Getting up in the morning and hoping your father had lit the fire and at least it would be warm in the living room, lino was bloody freezing in winter, hated it when the newspaper was stuck on the fire guard and drawing the fire, all the heat was hidden, waking up and there would be frost on your bedsheet, bloody freezing mun. Everybody though was in the same boat and for me even though it was hard i look back with fondness because i was bloody happy.
And then the 70's and Stebo in the big boys school, i absolutely loved the place, bonkers place. Yep the 70's was a great time and where the Lofty nickname was created by a Stebonheath teacher, 

you could swear you'd put me in a time machine there mate.semolina was okay with a big dollop of jam stirred in it.Big smile

Date Posted: 30 January 2012 at 11:06am
I was a Sea Cadet at TS Echo at the age of 10, they let me join early cos i was pretty tall and my mam wanted me to do something positive, instead of playing football and getting into trouble all the time. Great place the Sea Cadets, spent four years at the place with real Seamen who were giving something back into the community. Lt Ward a huge smiling guy was the Commanding Officer and a Petty Officer North with a huge beard, he was a brilliant laugh and a real old seadog.
Used to spend weekends here and there in various locations all over Britian and i became an expert rower, dinghy and sail boat. Was part of the guard group who would march for Remembrance day in Llanelli and be on parade with our rifles and white webbing and bayonets.
We would be there all morning on parade and head of the march as the Senior service. Brilliant really, 11 and 12 and 13 year old boys being allowed into the British Legion after the parade and ceremony at the war memorial.
Having some sips of shandy and scoff and the old war veterans telling you their stories.
You would train for weeks for the March, every Monday and Friday and catch the bus down from Gorsfach in Dafen to TS Echo.
Catch the 10.00 bus home from outside the Glen and as you were in uniform you would always get the remarks and banter. Saw some bloody sights outside the Glen on a Friday waiting for the bus mind.
Went to RAF Lossiemouth in Elgin Scotland for two weeks when i was 11, went with Gareth Beynon all the way by train. Caught the train from Llanelli to London and then from there all the way up to Scotland. Pretty daunting for a young boy, but off we went, spoilt rotten up there at the airbase. Shackleton reconnaissance planes and Phantoms were amazing to see and hear taking off. Great times really but it was always superb pulling into Llanelly train station and coming home and that was in the early 70's.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 11:38am
Ocean World, Bangkok..
Mrs C ( a little harsh in my view)

'Why is it every time you see a shark you have to do the Cello music Jaws theme...can't you just move on FFS"

Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:00pm
Is that Mrs c the one that looks like Miss Cruz

-------------

Posted By: The Admiral
Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I'm with you all the way on that, people on Facebook and Twitter are Saddos in my book.
Don't forget three twitters make a TW@T, for God's sake talk to each other. the oldest form of communication

Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:22pm

Is that Mrs c the one that looks like Miss Cruz

Oh, you believed me on that then.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

I was a Sea Cadet at TS Echo at the age of 10, they let me join early cos i was pretty tall and my mam wanted me to do something positive, instead of playing football and getting into trouble all the time. Great place the Sea Cadets, spent four years at the place with real Seamen who were giving something back into the community. Lt Ward a huge smiling guy was the Commanding Officer and a Petty Officer North with a huge beard, he was a brilliant laugh and a real old seadog.
Used to spend weekends here and there in various locations all over Britian and i became an expert rower, dinghy and sail boat. Was part of the guard group who would march for Remembrance day in Llanelli and be on parade with our rifles and white webbing and bayonets.
We would be there all morning on parade and head of the march as the Senior service. Brilliant really, 11 and 12 and 13 year old boys being allowed into the British Legion after the parade and ceremony at the war memorial.
Having some sips of shandy and scoff and the old war veterans telling you their stories.
You would train for weeks for the March, every Monday and Friday and catch the bus down from Gorsfach in Dafen to TS Echo.
Catch the 10.00 bus home from outside the Glen and as you were in uniform you would always get the remarks and banter. Saw some bloody sights outside the Glen on a Friday waiting for the bus mind.
Went to RAF Lossiemouth in Elgin Scotland for two weeks when i was 11, went with Gareth Beynon all the way by train. Caught the train from Llanelli to London and then from there all the way up to Scotland. Pretty daunting for a young boy, but off we went, spoilt rotten up there at the airbase. Shackleton reconnaissance planes and Phantoms were amazing to see and hear taking off. Great times really but it was always superb pulling into Llanelly train station and coming home and that was in the early 70's.

After that photo last night, sailors? really? WinkLOL

Great nostalgia there though chief.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 2:03pm
Tim Opolis have you heard the saying (hitting the nail on the head). Thats Smelly and Lofty you have upset in the last 2 days.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by bazlewis bazlewis wrote:

Tim Opolis have you heard the saying (hitting the nail on the head). Thats Smelly and Lofty you have upset in the last 2 days.

I'm sure they can see the funny side of it Baz. Big smile

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 4:02pm
Ah, the 70s.

Bruce Forsyth on prime time Saturday night TV
The Tories making massive cuts
Racism in football
Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy in all the papers

......you can see where I'm going with this.....

Posted By: jeremy windell
Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:08pm
Thing i miss most about the 70s and 80s are the summer blockbusters in the cinema, that bloke with the red shirt in the cinema, and white dog shit.

-------------
Go ahead..........Take those banana's

Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:27pm
I remember the music and clothes styles of the 70's so well, the trips all over the country to Northern Soul gigs while I was in my early 20's. This friday I will be dropping in to a local Northern Soul disco nearing 60 I have a feeling I may have slowed down a bit. The uppers have now been replaced by diabetic tablets but I am still looking forward to it no end.

Posted By: Ian Lewis
Date Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:29pm
First day in Gwendraeth GS and a boy comes up to me and says; Your dad taught my mum in school, we were both 11 yrs old first formers and I couldn't comprehend how that could be, but we're still the best of friends to this day, 40 years on, where has the time gone?

-------------
It's not always about where you end up, it's about how you get there.

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 2:42am
Snickers never stuck as a name change, the wrapper still says Marathon in my minds eye.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 9:32am

Ah, the 70s.

Racism in football

Yes, and having to drink Watneys Red barrel, or Double Diamond!Dead

On the other hand... it was the best ever decade for rugby - Wales's 5 triple crowns and 3 grand slams; Lions beating New Zeland and SA; and those truly epic Boxing Day matches between Llanelli and London Welsh, with the Scarlets including Benny, Delme, Derek Quinnell, Andy Hill, and - of course - Grav; the Welsh included Gerald Davies, John Dawes, JPR, Geoff Evans, Mervyn Davies, John Taylor and so on. Great days!

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 11:08am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Ah, the 70s.

Racism in football

Yes, and having to drink Watneys Red barrel, or Double Diamond!Dead

On the other hand... it was the best ever decade for rugby - Wales's 5 triple crowns and 3 grand slams; Lions beating New Zeland and SA; and those truly epic Boxing Day matches between Llanelli and London Welsh, with the Scarlets including Benny, Delme, Derek Quinnell, Andy Hill, and - of course - Grav; the Welsh included Gerald Davies, John Dawes, JPR, Geoff Evans, Mervyn Davies, John Taylor and so on. Great days!

I remember those days if they were yesterday, fantastic

Posted By: scarletman
Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 11:17am
TISWAS ! 

-------------
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

TISWAS ! 
the well blessed sally jamesClap

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 12:42pm
Would you be allowed to wear a leather front tie up bustierre on a Saturday morning Childrens show today I wonder??

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 12:55pm

Snickers never stuck as a name change, the wrapper still says Marathon in my minds eye.

Agree an Americanism bloody world,,,,, Marathon sheer wonder.. 

-------------

Posted By: A Evans
Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 1:01pm

Dont get me started on name changes mun, i mean 'Starburst', what the chuffing hell is that all about Angry

-------------
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 1:12pm
Anybody remember:

-Why don't you
-Chocky
-Quantum Leap
-The Great storm of 1987

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Anybody remember:

-Why don't you
-Chocky
-Quantum Leap
-The Great storm of 1987
chocky was great.
quantum leap is on itv4 these days

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 1:50pm

Would you be allowed to wear a leather front tie up bustierre on a Saturday morning Childrens show today I wonder??

I wouldn't ! Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

TISWAS ! 
the well blessed sally jamesClap

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 2:03pm
& Who can forget ....

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 2:35pm

Anybody remember:

-Why don't you
-Chocky
-Quantum Leap
-The Great storm of 1987

The Great Storm, I thought it was in 1988

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 4:46pm
Wil you may be allowed to wear a leather front tie up bustierre on a Childrens Saturday morning show,but only if you ask nicely.

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by A Evans A Evans wrote:

Dont get me started on name changes mun, i mean 'Starburst', what the chuffing hell is that all about Angry

What are they?

Posted By: A Evans
Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 6:52pm

What are they?
Opal Fruits mun Wacko

-------------
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 7:02pm
palma violets

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 7:03pm

palma violets
i thought you were more of a palm shandy manWinkLOL

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:08pm
Fisherman's friend

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Fisherman's friend
They havent changed at all ...or is it another euphanism

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 9:20pm
You suck a Fishermans Friend when you have a sore throat.

Date Posted: 20 February 2012 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by The Admiral The Admiral wrote:

Anybody remember:

-Why don't you
-Chocky
-Quantum Leap
-The Great storm of 1987

No you are right it was 15th/16th October 1987, on the 18th Oct 1987 I broke my back

Date Posted: 21 February 2012 at 2:18am

What are they?
Opal Fruits mun Wacko

What !
When did that change?

What the hell were they thinking of?!!!

Date Posted: 21 February 2012 at 8:33am

Anybody remember:

-Why don't you
-Chocky
-Quantum Leap
-The Great storm of 1987

No you are right it was 15th/16th October 1987, on the 18th Oct 1987 I broke my back

From Wikipedia: "The Great Storm of 1987 occurred on the night of 15–16 October 1987, when an unusually strong weather system caused winds to hit much of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_England" rel="nofollow - southern England and northern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France" rel="nofollow - France . It was the worst storm to hit England since the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1703" rel="nofollow - Great Storm of 1703 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987#cite_note-1" rel="nofollow - [2] (284 years earlier) and was responsible for the deaths of at least 22 people in England and France combined (18 in England, at least four in France). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987#cite_note-2" rel="nofollow - [3]

According to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale" rel="nofollow - Beaufort scale of wind intensities, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_windstorm" rel="nofollow - storm had winds of hurricane force; however, the term http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane" rel="nofollow - hurricane refers to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone" rel="nofollow - tropical cyclones originating in the North Atlantic or North Pacific. Hurricanes have a very different wind profile and distribution to storms, and significantly higher precipitation levels."

I was working in Portsmouth at the time - we were woken around 2am when the wind blew down the brick wall next door. Although pretty well all other schools in the city closed for the day, our deputy head - who was a stupid tw*t - called us in. As we drove to school, the wind funneling up the terraces was ripping bricks out of the end terrace houses, so that we could see into the attics (pretty much all the walls of some attic spaces had been ripped away). We saw several cars crushed under fallen walls and chimneys. The sea front was completely flooded. When we arrived in school, predictably only around 6 kids had turned up (parents being a lot more intelligent than the deputy), so after half an hour we got sent home again!

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 21 February 2012 at 9:36am
i had 67 call outs in a day and a half,happy days.

Date Posted: 21 February 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

i had 67 call outs in a day and a half,happy days.

"It's an ill wind..." and all that!Wink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net