Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pembrokeshire Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pembrokeshire Rugby
    Posted: 20 April 2022 at 10:02am
Thought I’d start a topic on Pembrokeshire rugby as we have been talking about it on the #twnewsday topic and it won’t be long before we get shouted at
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 10:08am
You'll get in to bother for putting it on Scarlets General

It's my fault for jabbering on about it.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 10:14am
One q for you pembrokshire contingent? What was the big tie in with neath all about back in the 80s/90s?
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 3:49pm
Thought I’d move my reply to a Tnewsday post over here as although not exactly Pembrokeshire specific it’s got more to do with community rugby than Scarlets signings!

Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

The playing numbers are a total farce!
There’s consistently around 30,000, 6-19 year olds (13 years) playing the game but when it comes to seniors 18-35+ (17+years) there’s less than 15,000 which is well below a 50% drop from m&j to seniors.
Yes there’s some mitigating factors such as work and family commitments but that doesn’t count for the full loss.

There is no transition anywhere in the game, you spend your entire M&J playing with and against the same players in your school year.
Then you go from playing every week at U16 to struggling for a game for 2 years at youth and then even worse at seniors.
It’s no wonder players leave the game when they’re not playing.

I’m not claiming to know all and have all the answers to these problems.
There are things that can be done like setting up Friday or Sunday leagues. If they’re  serious about keeping youth under 18 then look at an U21’s and maybe an U25’s would be a better solution to keep people playing and more importantly playing for their local.
But kids play a lot more sport than adults. The truth is most kids will play at least 3 or 4 sports and then when they become older they’ll decide which one or two they prefer and stick to that (with a
lot of adults doing no sports let’s not forget). Rugby is also a very physical sport and so a lot of people will decide they prefer to play something easier / safer. Most people also have kids e.t.c which again makes it harder to keep up the numbers from junior to first / second team rugby. 
Therefore comparing against other countries is a much better metric (although still needing a lot of caveats) than junior numbers. As it happens I don’t even think retaining ~40% of junior players is even that bad. None of this is to say that the WRU have done a good job, or that there is nothing more that they and the clubs can do; just that the metric you used to measure their success was IMO a bad one.   
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 4:21pm
My personal view is that the WRU are awful. For these reasons.

They don’t do a great deal to help out at the lower levels 

regional rugby is a mess we’re full of in fighting and bitching between us about money and player placement plus a million other things behind the scenes 

the national coach doesn’t know what he’s doing (have this from a professional coach who worked for him)we have just had a terrible 6 nations where we under estimated Italy and scrapped to a win over Scotland 

We have no referees that are performing well 

Our player pathways need seriously reviewing 

We are financially poor buying bloody hotels instead of investing in rugby 

I really think we need somebody to come in and do a full review on the WRU and heads need to roll 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic