Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next Conservative leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 63>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2022 at 8:25pm
How long before this thread is actually going to be discussing the next Tory leader.
Liz is doing such a good job that she now has a lower popularity rating than the Tory party itself.  She really struggled with her first (and probably last) PM ‘s speak to the Tory Part6 Conference, and apparently the bookies have stopped take bets on whether she will last to the next GE.
So as it stands it looks like she will smash BOJO’s unenviable record of only surviving in office for 3 years.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2022 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

How long before this thread is actually going to be discussing the next Tory leader.
Liz is doing such a good job that she now has a lower popularity rating than the Tory party itself.  She really struggled with her first (and probably last) PM ‘s speak to the Tory Part6 Conference, and apparently the bookies have stopped take bets on whether she will last to the next GE.
So as it stands it looks like she will smash BOJO’s unenviable record of only surviving in office for 3 years.

I really thought we had reached rock bottom when we had Boris the unbelievable but Truss I'll do it my may or maybe not beats him into a tin hat. If this is British leadership at its best we are doomed. Ignoring the credentials of Sunak supporters, bearing in mind he got the majority of support in phase one of the leadership contest, is just total nonsense. Cabinet means collective responsibility & without it your are sunk. Cabinet ministers openly canvassing opinions on policies which are yet to be agreed should be a sackable offence but it seems anything goes with Liz whose authority was never up for debate - she never had any. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2022 at 10:35am
Boris will be tory leader at next ge mark my words
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I seriously doubt it because they will have such a small chance of winning. He's more likely to switch to labour! I'm actually quite amazed we're seeing what we are because the rebellious "ethical" tories and pig-headed Truss, take your pick, each know exactly how this infighting comes across. Fine by me if they cripple the party for the next GE as I think they contain this hard-right/UKIP/ERG faction, likely a minority, that are disastrous for the UK because of their selfish greed, cronyism and corruption.

Did anyone see HIGNFY, which I don't even find funny anymore but see as an alternative to the crap BBC politics programmes, and that clip of Sunak saying exactly what would happen in the disastrous Truss plan? He was absolutely spot-on. Yet the Conservative Party members still voted for it. Let that sink in: they want the majority of the UK to be worse off. There's no other conclusion I can draw, just watch all the scapegoats now being made by Truss et al: unions, those on benefits, the poor, the woke, the EU, it just goes on and on.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2022 at 12:59pm
So not for turning Truss has u-turned again.  She is now claiming that Macron is a friend of the UK and a nice person, yet during her time as the foreign minister (which only ended 4 weeks ago) and in her campaign to become PM, she claimed that he couldn’t be trusted.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2022 at 4:55pm

A party replacing a PM half way through their term and imposing upon the electorate a different manifesto should simply not be allowed. There should be an automatic GE the moment a PM leaves. This farce now means that a boris return is in fact possible. Lets face it the tories know he is the only one who would have a hope in a GE
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2022 at 8:21pm
Next Parliament and get PR in place and we will nevers see these clunts again
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

A party replacing a PM half way through their term and imposing upon the electorate a different manifesto should simply not be allowed. There should be an automatic GE the moment a PM leaves. This farce now means that a boris return is in fact possible. Lets face it the tories know he is the only one who would have a hope in a GE

BOJO is currently being investigated by the parliamentary standards committee for the ‘possibly deliberate misleading of parliament’ over partygate, unfortunately for him the investigation is being led by a labour peer, so hopefully he’ll get what he deserves and will then face being banned from politics.
Should he get away with it though, I still don’t think it will be that straight forward.  
He lost the support of a majority of his MPs, was told to stand aside as PM, if they decide to u-turn and support him then they will face ridicule for yet another u-turn within the Tory party.  Also, the inquiry into the government’s handling of the pandemic has now started, and I’m expecting a lot of negativity over the handling (inc the reluctance to lockdown earlier, to send the elderly into nursing homes without being tested) the dishing out of dodgy PPE contracts to Tory supports and family/friends.  The people of the UK will not forget the pandemic easily.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2022 at 12:59pm
So we’ve had 4 chancellors in 2022 (a record), what’s the bets we’ll have another record of 3 prime ministers as well.
Even if she u-turns on all of the tax cuts she (sorry I meant to say Kamikwazi kwarteng) announced a few weeks ago, which spooked the markets and had the complete opposite effect to what it was meant to to, the talk in Westminster is the the Tory party (especially the backbenchers who fear losing their seats) want rid of her after just over 5 weeks.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2022 at 1:29pm
Following on from a comment made yesterday that, not counting the 10 days off for the Queen's mourning period etc. Truss had been in office for only 7 days before she and Kamikwaze crashed the economy, the Star is today predicting that her shelf life will be shorter than a Tesco lettuce...LOL
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2022 at 1:32pm
I would SERIOUSLY like to know how many of Truss and Kamikwaze's mates have made millions by shorting the pound and government bonds... Crispin Odey actually had Kwarteng on his payroll a few years ago:

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2022 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

So Truss is too busy to appear in live TV.  Sounds like she’s taken a leaf out of BOJO’s book.  If I know I’ll get a grilling over my policies I’ll just run and hide and hope that the questions will go away and that the voters will forget.
Boris did it for the live leaders debate and even locked himself into a refrigerator to avoid speaking to a TV journalist.

That was more the Teresa May school of politics. Was doing so well in the polls that didn’t want to go on TV to risk it and let Amber Rudd (who?) go up instead. 

Turned out well for May 🙄 

The lack of courage in the Tory party is something to behold. I’m sure Putin is petrified 

Will bump this back into the conversation - judging by Fridays 9 minute press conference - another coward at the helm. 

Love them or loathe them Thatcher and Blair had the courage to make arguments for and defend their positions on policy. That’s why they each led the country for a decade. 

If our politicians are too scared to face a few questions from political journalists about their policies or why they sacked their chancellor then they simply don’t deserve to govern us.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 7:53am
A timely bump of this thread! Hunt it is then.

Braverman is vile, makes Patel look like a well balanced caring type. For a KC barrister, presumably trained in well-thought out argument, she ends up ranting about imaginary scapegoats a lot, stoking culture wars and trying to fuel hatred. Truss putting such people in positions of power shows how terrible she is as PM. Or the influence the extreme ERG have. In either case, we are in for a poo time with this person anywhere near government.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 6:42pm
Braveman has gone, who next?.
She’s resigned for 2 errors of judgement with regards to government documents/email accounts, some would argue that her biggest error was to become a Tory MP and to agree to serve in Truss’ parliament.
I believe that the likelihood is that her reasons for resigning are not the real ones - it’s more likely to do with her recent comments about dreaming of seeing plane loads of refugees being sent to Ruanda and her outburst in parliament yesterday about protestors and striking.
She now holds the unenviable  record of being the shortest serving Home Secretary in history.  Kamiquazi Kuarteng was the second shortest serving chancellor, beaten only by a chancellor who sadly died in office.  The Tory party is re-writing the history books and breaking every unenviable records they possibly can.

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:01am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

A timely bump of this thread! Hunt it is then.

Braverman is vile, makes Patel look like a well balanced caring type. For a KC barrister, presumably trained in well-thought out argument, she ends up ranting about imaginary scapegoats a lot, stoking culture wars and trying to fuel hatred. Truss putting such people in positions of power shows how terrible she is as PM. Or the influence the extreme ERG have. In either case, we are in for a poo time with this person anywhere near government.

"Well said" dr martinov.
It's hard to pick hard pick even amongst Tories LOL, a more repugnant individual as Braverman 
You are right dr martinov, Patel looks caring by comparison.

The wider picture though, was not summed up by any media commentator, or media commentator, but by a senior tory backbencher of 17 years. Charles Walker.
Just listen to what he has to say on BBC news online, a damming indictment of this shambolic government of shysters.
How Truss has the gall to turn up at the commons after sacking her chancellor, wrecking the British economy, putting jobs at risk, increasing inflation, and the cost of mortgages.
If it wasn't so serious, it would be laughable.
Now she sacks Braverman, as well. As much as am hugely glad to see her go, the whole thing is bizarre!

Anyone seeing Truss speak, may be impressed, if this was a Yr 10 public speaking contest.
Unfortunately, it's not, she is the prime minister, and more wooden, than the woodentops.
The major issue however is her judgement, and to say its flawed would be generous, on an extraordinary scaleConfused !!

She packed the cabinet with box ticking supporters of hers, which mirrored her own progress in politics, doing more "flips " than an acrobat at Billy Smarts Circus!
The woman is out of her depth on an extraordinary scale, making even Teresa May look like a superwoman.
Very soon, her premiership will hopefully end, and I sincerely hope the humiliation will be so huge, that we will never hear much from her again.
Knowing the rhino serous style hide that individuals like her and Johnson have, one never knows.
The stench lingers
(On a linked note, I am going to open a related thred on poverty)
I stood yer on tanner bank
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:34pm
looks like Truss is out, announcement to be made at 1.30pm, the lecturn is out, truss and her husband are out, she’s speaking to the country 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 63>
  Share Topic