Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:53pm
Firstly I think that Salmidach is his usual stirring self and am glad he's found his utopia on the Cornish Riviera and hope he lives his life out happily ever after.

I've worked for 12 years with the Probation Service in Llanelli and throughout the Dyfed Powys area.
A lot of my time was spent working with people who had substance missus issues and would say that proportionately Llanelli problem's are no different than say Llandrindod Wells or any other town.

Anyone remember that programme with Craig Charles and our very own Nigel Haddock dissing the town ? Sodam and Garmorrah was quoted ......have to admit it made me laugh. 

I agree with Ladram that the picture is much more complex and Thatcher and that lot share the blame.

Up the bum no harm done.
Sponsored Links

gogexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:56pm
Correct about thatcher ladram.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:56pm
When I left home at 16 to join the army Llanelli was still a busy town with a thriving town centre(I am from the Dock), over the years as I came home on leave etc I noticed a massive decline in the infastructure and the town centre which became a very sad almost derilict looking place. Well done the stores that stayed in the centre as I imagine it must have been very tempting to move.
Then in the last 10 years we have seen Asda buck the trend and move into town, then I think the biggest win is the new cinema moving in as that will bring people back into town. The waterpark,coastal path my old Llanelli beach have all been much invigorated with investment and I am again starting to have a smile on my face for the place as it is slowly begining to show signs of starting a new life away from heavy industry.
I love my town and even though I am 43 now all my family are still there and I come home several times a year sometimes for the day to watch the Scarlets, my kids have an affinity to the town and the beaches, if my work (and wife) would let me I would move home tomorrow (before anyone says anything my wife loves the place but is an inbred in the village where we live!!). Opportunities are sparce perhaps for the younger generation but tell me many places that are currently flourishing!!, yes there are places I wouldn't want to live and I have a sad feeling when I go and drive around the Dock when I go home and remember what it used to be like, extended families all within walking distances.
But for those that think it is exclusive please come and visit the salubrious shitholes near where I live Harlow,Braintree,Southend,Clacton,Basildon, All in the well healed expensive south east. I can vouch through my work murder rate, drug crime etc etc that make Llanelli look like a backwater village with a slight weed issue.
It is not perfect, it has been beaten up a bit but it is slowly getting to it's feet, it is not down and out it is findng it's feet and getting up again. It needs its local populace to help as it will not do it by itself but it doesn't need kicking when its down espeacially by people who perhaps are only informed but stats and reports.
I am very protective of my Llanelli it is my home wherever I am in the world and when I have been asked where are you from it is Llanelli. Wales, UK in that order. I get a warm glow every time I pull up outside my folks home and I know that when I walk into the pubs near them espeacially The Cat someone will talk to you (whether you want them to or not!!Wink) you do not get that in too many places in the UK anymore.
So here is a big hug to Llanelli and I will be home on the 28th to give you a hug and have a beer with you!!!!!!
NADOLIG LLAWEN LLANELLI
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:00pm
As an outsider and occasional visitor to the town, I find Llanelli has way more positives than negatives. It is also home to some of the friendliest people I've had the pleasure to meet.
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:06pm
Also forgot that officially we have the best restaurant and Indian in Wales . What more can you ask for ?
gogexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:23pm
The amount of scarlets fans who have no family links to the town is substantial. That speaks volumes to what nice and welcoming people you Turks are:) believe it when I say you are well liked across Wales. The town has put our little country on the map many a time and a lot of it down to the rugby team of Llanelli. 9-3 is the stuff of legends.
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:30pm
Ergh... 

You don't even have to give Sal any rope and he hangs himself. Fair play.

Edited by PearlJam - 19 December 2012 at 10:41pm
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 4:26am
Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

As an outsider and occasional visitor to the town, I find Llanelli has way more positives than negatives. It is also home to some of the friendliest people I've had the pleasure to meet.

Compared to 'Arford an American at a North Korean checkpoint gets a warmer welcome mun.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 7:11am
Originally posted by bazlewis bazlewis wrote:

Ladram I dont know about a hard days work but I know about a skilled days work. I did not work to a thousandth of an inch I worked to 2 or 3 tenths of a thousandth of a inch. Now I cant get work stacking shelves in a supermarket.
don't talk to me about tolerances.the only one in yourb house whose tolerant is val.LOL that reminds of a thyssen apprentice when i was in tech in my days as a welder/fabricator,the instructor asked him can you work with a mic and a vernier?he replied as long as they are sociable i'll work with anyone.LOL
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Dan the Drover Dan the Drover wrote:

Sorry guys, being a rural OAP I'm not as in touch as you guys are with the drugs scene.  However, isn't there a significant difference between METHADONE, which is (I believe) a heroin substitute, and MEPHEDRONE, which is a borderline amphetamine which was only recently made illegal in the EU and is still legal in the U.S. 

That's not to say that heavy use of drugs by the young is something that we should celebrate, but heroin addiction has got to be more of a danger to society and destructive of young lives.

Methadone is within the same class as morphine (an opiod) but it's not in the morphine family. It's used in a similar way as many opoids are as pain relief, I believe. I wouldn't quite say "heroin substitute" because that implies recreational drug use. 

Mephedrone is a stimulant, which certainly is used recreationally. Similar to methamphetamine aka crystal meth.

Methadone:

Mephedrone:

Methamphetamine:

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 11:42am
and its cheap which appeals more to poorer areas
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by gogexile gogexile wrote:

The amount of scarlets fans who have no family links to the town is substantial. That speaks volumes to what nice and welcoming people you Turks are:) believe it when I say you are well liked across Wales. The town has put our little country on the map many a time and a lot of it down to the rugby team of Llanelli. 9-3 is the stuff of legends.

Brilliant post,,,ClapClapClap
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 12:27pm
As a baby was born in Glasfyn Hospital, my first home was in Tir Capel and then moved to Gorsfach in Dafen and eventually to the Halfway/Pemberton area. Lived in Llanelli for over 30 years, grew up there and loved it and was proud as punch that i was a Llanelli boy.
Played football and rugby and cricket in Dafen Park, Havard road fields, Llanelli AFC/Stebonheath pitch, Felinfoel Park, Llanarch playing fields, at the age of 7 until i was 11 my dad used to take me to Dafen Park Bowling pavillion to practice football, we were not allowed to, but we still did, but the place was vibrant alive and safe.
Walked everywhere, lifts in cars was just daft, the car was usually broken down and my father was always looking in the engine bay, which ignited my love affair for Engineering. I can still remember the clay overhead cable system from the quarry taking the stuff to Dafen Brickworks, which i can also remember and as you walked to Dafen Primary you could hear the things rattling above you. There were so many areas that as children we would play visit or just get up to naughty things.

There was no computers, no playstation, no xbox, you were lucky if you had a black and white TV jeez colour was not heard of, but you were always out playing, with your mates with footballs or anything you could find just to kick along the ground. We used to have football matches between my housing site against the top housing site called Bryn and boy where they real hard games, the honour of your estate was at stake and we would be there for hours and hours until called in for a scrub and a neck scrub in the sink and hot chocolate and then bed.

Town was an amzing place full of shops and always busy as hell on a Saturday, if we were lucky someone would nick a ball or a tennis ball from WHSmiths and that would be our new "ball" for tomorrows game. Used to go fishing down the dock and sit on the docks gates for hours and hours fishing and catching some flats, there was always somewhere to go and do there and it was a brilliant place. The scrapyard in Dafen once had  loads of ex World War 2 Army where Army steel helmets and webbing belts and other naughty things were being held, we nicked them of course and for months we were soldiers in the tree/jungle part of Dafen Parc.............

I could go on and on about my pride and thanks for being born and raised in Llanelli, shaped out the person i am right now and honestly when ever we went on Holiday, usually by car which always broke down to the Isle of Wight, my accent, my Llanelli accent was always loved and it was brilliant trying to get people to say LLANELLY,,,,,,they just couldnt do it, so it made you feel as a young boy you came from somewhere pretty special.

I dont get this dump thing, there is good and bad everywhere, do we say Hungerford is a bad place to live cos there was a nutter living there, the same with Cloucester and other places were serial killers and lunatics have roamed free.
I grew up in a safe and brilliant place and when i gloss about my real home, all my children want to go and live there and not where we are now.

In St Michaels and All Angels in Dafen my mam, Grand parents, Great Grandparents and Aunties and Uncles are all buried, generations of Llanelli folk which i am part of, just like Llanelli, my home, my real home.

Celebrate its strengths and character, it has created thousands of them..

Edited by lofty evans - 20 December 2012 at 12:57pm
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 12:36pm
Superb Lofty.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

As a baby was born in Glasfyn Hospital, my first home was in Tir Capel and then moved to Gorsfach in Dafen and eventually to the Halfway/Pemberton area. Lived in Llanelli for over 30 years, grew up there and loved it and was proud as punch that i was a Llanelli boy.
Played football and rugby and cricket in Dafen Park, Havard road fields, Llanelli AFC/Stebonheath pitch, Felinfoel Park, Llanarch playing fields, at the age of 7 until i was 11 my dad used to take me to Dafen Park Bowling pavillion to practice football, we were not allowed to, but we still did, but the place was vibrant alive and safe.
Walked everywhere, lifts in cars was just daft, the car was usually broken down and my father was always looking in the engine bay, which ignited my love affair for Engineering. I can still remember the clay overhead cable system from the quarry taking the stuff to Dafen Brickworks, which i can also remember and as you walked to Dafen Primary you could hear the things rattling above you. There were so many areas that as children we would play visit or just get up to naughty things.

There was no computers, no playstation, no xbox, you were lucky if you had a black and white TV jeez colour was not heard of, but you were always out playing, with your mates with footballs or anything you could find just to kick along the ground. We used to have football matches between my housing site against the top housing site called Bryn and boy where they real hard games, the honour of your estate was at stake and we would be there for hours and hours until called in for a scrub and a neck scrub in the sink and hot chocolate and then bed.

Town was an amzing place full of shops and always busy as hell on a Saturday, if we were lucky someone would nick a ball or a tennis ball from WHSmiths and that would be our new "ball" for tomorrows game. Used to go fishing down the dock and sit on the docks gates for hours and hours fishing and catching some flats, there was always somewhere to go and do there and it was a brilliant place. The scrapyard in Dafen once had  loads of ex World War 2 Army where Army steel helmets and webbing belts and other naughty things were being held, we nicked them of course and for months we were soldiers in the tree/jungle part of Dafen Parc.............

I could go on and on about my pride and thanks for being born and raised in Llanelli, shaped out the person i am right now and honestly when ever we went on Holiday, usually by car which always broke down to the Isle of Wight, my accent, my Llanelli accent was always loved and it was brilliant trying to get people to say LLANELLY,,,,,,they just couldnt do it, so it made you feel as a young boy you came from somewhere pretty special.

I dont get this dump thing, there is good and bad everywhere, do we say Hungerford is a bad place to live cos there was a nutter living there, the same with Cloucester and other places were serial killers and lunatics have roamed free.
I grew up in a safe and brilliant place and when i gloss about my real home, all my children want to go and live there and not where we are now.

In St Michaels and All Angels in Dafen my mam, Grand parents, Great Grandparents and Aunties and Uncles are all buried, generations of Llanelli folk which i am part of, just like Llanelli, my home, my real home.

Celebrate its strengths and character, it has created thousands of them..

The only good thing to come out of Dafen is the road to Felin-Foel and the home of the greatest Llanelli RFC player....
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Mister Jolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 1:10pm
Duw Duw Lofty, all this talk of nicking stuff, it's no wonder you ended up living on the dark side.
Just because my second name's Jolly, it doesn't mean I have to be jolly all the ****ing time

Jolly Tours - A jolly time for all (just keep away from the fountains)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic