Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heading
    Posted: 01 February 2023 at 4:26am
Watching the Sydney 7's over the weekend and 2 opposing players chasing a kick through, as the ball bounced up the attacking player headed the ball forward and out of the grasp of the defending player, picked it up and scored.

Is this ok ref?
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Watching the Sydney 7's over the weekend and 2 opposing players chasing a kick through, as the ball bounced up the attacking player headed the ball forward and out of the grasp of the defending player, picked it up and scored.

Is this ok ref?

Yep & I'll tell you how I know this.... I was standing with my team mates waiting to receive the kick off. I watched the ball go over my head but then it held up in the wind & hit my head & bounced into the 10m channel, ref called play on. Ref then had to explain a couple of minutes later that the ball going forward off the head isn't a knock on.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 8:08am
Cheers. Interesting!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 8:13am
In case you are interested here's the incident..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiZoE2SCS2I
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 8:28am
Great presence of mind that!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Is this ok ref?

I don't recall seeing deliberate heading in rugby, but certainly on occasion (from a sudden pass, maybe) I have seen the ball bounce forward off someone's noggin, and 'play on' is the call. So if it's OK accidentally, then it must be OK deliberately as well. 

Probably it's not done more often because the situation doesn't arise, or players don't think of the option, or they think it's too risky given the unpredictable nature of the rugby ball's bounce!

Perhaps not surprisingly, the trick was pulled off by a player from a soccer-loving nation - Uruguay.

Edited by aber-fan - 01 February 2023 at 10:39am
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic