Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aldridge for Wales?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Dammers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aldridge for Wales?
    Posted: 26 October 2004 at 10:18pm

Aldridge applies for Wales job

Aldridge won 69 caps for Republic of Ireland, scoring 19 goals
Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge has applied to become the next Wales manager, according to reports.

"These jobs don't come around every five minutes and I would love to manage an international team," Aldridge told the South Wales Echo newspaper.

"This is too good an opportunity to let pass me by, it's just so tempting. I posted my application last night."

Aldridge, who started his career at Newport, has been out of the game since resigning as Tranmere manager in 2001.

The former Republic of Ireland striker guided them to the 2000 Worthington Cup final, but decided to walk away a year later claiming the pressures of the job almost led to a mental and physical breakdown.

JOHN ALDRIDGE FACTFILE
1958 - born 18 September
1984 - moves to Oxford for £78,000. Wins League Cup medal
1987 - bought by Liverpool for £750,000. Wins FA Cup and league title during time there.
1991 - moves to Tranmere for £250,000. Tops First Division scoring charts in 1996.
1996 - becomes Tranmere's player-manager
2000 - guides Tranmere to Worthington Cup final. They are beaten by Leicester.
2001 - 17 March - resigns after Tranmere toss away a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 to Barnsley
Aldridge added: "Mark Hughes did a fine job, but I had five successful years at Tranmere Rovers and was involved in international football for nearly 14 years taking in two World Cups and a European Championship so I know what's it all about.

"I am a very passionate man, football has always been my life. I was with Newport County for five years and I know how passionate the Welsh people are about their sport and in particular their football.

"To be honest, as soon as Mark Hughes announced officially that he was leaving it was always in my mind to have a go for the job and to contact the Football Association of Wales.

"In the last week or so I have had so many friends in the game - both footballers and managers - say to me that I should apply."

Aldridge joins former Wrexham and Swansea manager Brian Flynn in declaring an interest to succeed Hughes.

The FAW says it will take its time to appoint a new manager, and admitted the process could go on until the new year.

Sponsored Links

Pawlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2004 at 1:25pm

Don't think he's got enough expereince!

Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2004 at 3:29pm
At least he wants the job, Hughes wasn't the most experienced manager when he tooks the reigns either, if my memory serves me right.
Toshack still not making any comment on whether he wants the job or not...hope he decides against applying!
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2004 at 3:35pm
HOPE aldridge gets it. has a certain bit of passion and spark that I like.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic