Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

benny's memorial service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: benny's memorial service
    Posted: 27 June 2022 at 12:33am
I am sure there were quite a few forum regulars who attended Benny's memorial service , and therefore will agree with me,  that it was a fitting send off, and touching tribute, for one of the greatest, if not the greatest Scarlet !

I had no idea of the connection with Graham Thomas, and his partnership with Benny, as a 'ghost-writer'. In fairness, he spoke well, but it was Delme, who touched our hearts, as he spoke directly from his, regarding his relationship with Phil, saying that, not only was he a wonderful player ,but a an incredible human being, humble and generous man !I also saw Ken Owens interviewed, either before or after the service, saying touchingly, how close he was to the players, as president, and how great the bond was, valued by all. Wonderful to hear 

There was so much symbolism, throughout the day, no more so ,at the end of the service, with everyone applauding, as the cars pulled away.
I have applauded this little genius, my hero, so many times during his career on the field, and at events after it had finished, it almost felt like something surreal. This wasn't happening, I was applauding him for the last time !  The sheer honour of seeing him play, and the joy it has brought, and the sadness we all now feel, kicked in simultaneously.

Standing in the churchyard in Felinfoel, listening to service through the loudspeakers, with so many there to pay their respects, one released the epic nature of this occasion, which the village will never see again.
Of course like so many who have spoken, we all knew that Benny wouldn't want all this "fuss", and would almost be embarrassed by it.

Pat and the boys, and the whole family now need private time to grieve.
Our dearest  thoughts and love are with them
I am hopeful however ,that sometime down the line, there will be another memorial for Phil,(maybe at PYS) to compliment the one already in Felinfoel
What this would be is of course for the family to decide, and the decision would obviously be theirs

We however, are now left with ,you tube clips of his play, his interviews with hilarious stories., so  many tales of his kind deeds, so  Benny, will remain FOREVER in our hearts, and he will continue to be an inspiration for us all, always !
I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 6:53am
Wise and moving words, SP.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
mark in sydney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 8:05am
I am hopeful however ,that sometime down the line, there will be another memorial for Phil,(maybe at PYS) to compliment the one already in Felinfoel
What this would be is of course for the family to decide, and the decision would obviously be theirs

Agree and would be well deserved recognition for all he has done for Llanelli / Scarlets 
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 9:59am
A memorial game vs the ba bas with the takings donated to charity would be a nice touch
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

A memorial game vs the ba bas with the takings donated to charity would be a nice touch

I was surprised that there weren’t say staff and current squad players manning gates on both entrance and departure with collecting buckets for a charity chosen by the family as the vast majority were not going to also go on to the church. There must have been about 4000 there? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic