Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Future Watch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 4:08pm
I'm gradually coming round to thinking that a Scarlets A team would be better than a poorly supported Llanelli side. Keep Quins and the Drovers as Premiership teams and when Scarlets A are not playing redistribute the bulk of the Scarlets A squad between them.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I'm gradually coming round to thinking that a Scarlets A team would be better than a poorly supported Llanelli side. Keep Quins and the Drovers as Premiership teams and when Scarlets A are not playing redistribute the bulk of the Scarlets A squad between them.

I agree we need an   a league
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Or leave Llanelli RFC as another feeder to give opportunities for the academy/colleges and good players from other local clubs to move up to premiership level.
By removing Llanelli and replacing with Scarlet A it doesn't actually create any more opportunities.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 5:24pm
The Scarlets A side might be a good thing, but let's over react to a poor season from, the RFC. The RFC in the main has done well,sine the inception of regional rugby aand I'm confident that after a summer revaluation that things will be better next season. Lots of teams go through dips in form for whatever reason and I'm confident that we will rise again.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

The Scarlets A side might be a good thing, but let's over react to a poor season from, the RFC. The RFC in the main has done well,sine the inception of regional rugby aand I'm confident that after a summer revaluation that things will be better next season. Lots of teams go through dips in form for whatever reason and I'm confident that we will rise again.

Agree Martin but I have pointed out the glaring hole in all the regions set-ups by only having clubs and 1 senior regional team. Where are the opportunities for other players? Next season - No LV so no chances there.
To me the pyramid should be Scarlets, Scarlet A, Senior Clubs, Clubs and then colleges, academies and schools feeding in at the level appropriate to the player.
By creating an A team it gives (or should give) a stepping stone between club and region, offer a higher standard of rugby and also create spaces for more `lost` players who end up giving it in or moving elsewhere. Has to be worth a punt surely.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 12:27pm
An A side would be far more beneficial all round rather than Scarlets squad members not involved in a match day being returned to their feeder clubs.

Feeder clubs only know on the Thursday/Friday before the match who will be released back to them - not a great way for them to plan for their matches.

On the other hand, the players delegated to feeder clubs train with the Scarlets all week and for two evenings a week with their feeder clubs.

An 'A' team - playing and training together full-time would be a far better step-up to Pro rugby than the current feeder club system.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 3:19pm
I have nothing against an A team system in principle, but on the other hand - who would they play against? With only 4 regions in Wales, that would be a pretty small number of games.

If the idea is to have A team matches with the rest of the Pro-12 teams, then the Irish might come on board, but I have doubts about the Scots and Italians.

The counter-argument is that teams such as Llanelli, Cardiff, Swansea, Neath, Pontypridd, Bridgend etc all have great histories, and some still command significant levels of support - so that younger players can get experience of playing with the hot breath of hostile away supporters on their necks.

I'm a bit of an agnostic, or a fence-sitter, on this.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I have nothing against an A team system in principle, but on the other hand - who would they play against? With only 4 regions in Wales, that would be a pretty small number of games.

If the idea is to have A team matches with the rest of the Pro-12 teams, then the Irish might come on board, but I have doubts about the Scots and Italians.

The counter-argument is that teams such as Llanelli, Cardiff, Swansea, Neath, Pontypridd, Bridgend etc all have great histories, and some still command significant levels of support - so that younger players can get experience of playing with the hot breath of hostile away supporters on their necks.

My earlier proposal was that they would seek entry into the Aviva A league or if not, just play against the second teams from Gloucester, Bath, Bristol and Worcester perhaps plus the other regions and my bold suggestion was that RGC join up to represent North Wales and Ponty to represent the Valleys. In doing that it would take Ponty out of the WP and hence make it a more level playing field anyway
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

My earlier proposal was that they would seek entry into the Aviva A league or if not, just play against the second teams from Gloucester, Bath, Bristol and Worcester perhaps plus the other regions and my bold suggestion was that RGC join up to represent North Wales and Ponty to represent the Valleys. In doing that it would take Ponty out of the WP and hence make it a more level playing field anyway

Fair enough.

It's difficult to be certain what route rugby below elite level will take in future, but your idea could possibly work.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 4:03pm
Example.
Looking at the Scarlets team for tomorrow and fettling slightly for next season (as far as we know so far), I have then added an A team with subs (open to change as there are a load more players who could easily fill an A team berth). Not too shabby.

Scarlets              Scarlets A
Liam Williams        Steff Evans
DTH                  Harry Robinson
Regan King           Michael Tagicakibau
Scott Williams       Steff Hughes
Hadleigh Parkes      Josh Adams
Steven Shingler      Dan Jones
Gareth Davies        Connor Lloyd
Rob Evans            Wyn Jones
Ken Owens (capt)     Kirby Myhill
Samson Lee           Peter Edwards
Jake Ball            Richard Kelly
George Earle        Jack Payne
Aaron Shingler       Lewis Rawlins
James Davies        Will Boyde
John Barclay        Tom Philips
Subs            
Emyr Phillips        Ryan Elias
Phil John            Rhys Thomas
Will Taylor          Javan Sebastian
Joe Snyman           Tom Price
Rob McCusker        Rory Pitman
Aled Davies        Kieran Hardy
Josh Lewis           Billy McBryde
Jordan Williams      Adam Warren

I haven't included Rhodri W, Gareth Owen or Kristian.

Edited by supertaf - 27 March 2015 at 4:05pm
jiwjiwrygbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiwjiwrygbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 5:47pm
Yep, not a bad effort there! Aled Thomas back in the mix for next season also. Not sure about McBryde though?
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 5:53pm
a little o.t. Italy u18 win vs Wales at FIRA championship in France, a little joy sometimes...
kidwellyscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidwellyscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 2:48pm
went to watch whitland over the weekend and so a very good outside half called Steffan James very good and only 18 just
as well there is a centre called Ryan davise only 17 and rumour has it that he is being looked at by the quins llandovery and llanelli.

the sons of the setaro brothers are making waves
Domanic setaro is son gino setaro is in the scarlets academy
and frank setaro his son is playing for narberth and is starting to develop into the player he can be.

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 2:58pm
Has the Scarlets Academy for the 2015-16 season already been selected? as there is no Setaro in the current year.
kidwellyscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidwellyscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 3:00pm
no he is in the under 16's academy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic