Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team against NZ.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

flip flopping players positions always fails, pivac sadly seems hell bent on ding the same to josh adams by turning him to a full back instead of a brilliant winger

Sometimes needs must - Adams it must be remembered played a number of games at 15 for Worcester. Flip flopping as you call it doesn't always fail. Jamie Roberts started life as a full back before being converted to 12. Some players can genuinely thrive in more than one position - look at Lawes, Porter, Liam Williams & James Hook. 

I partly disagree, these are some of the more success stories but overall it fails...Hook never flourished when moved, liam Ill go with, he has a rare mix of skills suitable for a full back....roberts played full back in his first year then became a crash ball 12, I wasnt a big fan of him at 12 , no real footballing skills but brave as hell and strong as a horse, I much preferred henson, some blindsides can play 8 and lock, rare but it has happened

I tend to agree with your overall thoughts but I question your statement " always fails". To suggest that Hook never flourished is a little off the mark in my opinion - he played for Wales at 10, 12, 13 & 15. In tournaments like the World Cup multi positional players are very much sought after. Not my favourite player but Eliot Daly has done that role for both England & the Lions. Tschiunza, for me, is just such a player at 5/6 & should be given as much exposure as possible. 

Adams & LRZ have both got experience at 15 - surely Pivac must try one of them now to avoid the situation of arriving at France 2023 with only an injury prone Liam or an aging, slowing Halfpenny.

As I said yesterday, we are clutching at straws here in our discussions.
GPR is right Pivac's selections are haphazard, but he HAS  to gamble..and WHY...he has no choice.
No strength  in depth and little quality in front 5.
Short time ago we had Gatland making the most of what he had and working wonders keeping to simple gameplan
He also had a number of things in his favour, compared to now
1)shaun Edwards (should NEVER being allowed to leave)
2)AWJ, Ken, foxy, halfpenny, etc..all class players, younger ,fitter
3)Fractionally more strength in front 5..with Rob evs and samson(at best),with jake ball and Hill..both playing abroad. 
4)Agood captain fantastic  jackler in warburton

These are just a few things,
ATM, I defy any coach to try to heave the current group we have out of mediocrity at best.

We will produce some inspired performances,  and with more intense rugby ,as usual, will improve(Nz game timing always disadvantages us).
All of this is missing the point.
The Gatland era swept inadequacies under the tablecloth..now they are being exposed...not helped by the abysmal failings  of regions.
But the problem goes well beyond that,with a community game and schools colleges, maybe not producing the players. 
WRU needs a review in the same way as they did for the women's game.
Need  to start with foundations and build.

People can have a pop at Pivac, which is fine, but it's the bigger picture we need to look at..and fast

I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 10:50pm
Tshuinza, Faletau, Tipuric is the back row they must try this week.

Not that I have anything against Reffel he had a poor game, but one thing to remember the only time Pivac has done well with this wales team was when he had Faletau and Tipuric playing as carrying footballers in the middle of the park.

He even used them as kicking options at times. But their mix of footwork, pace and distributing skills made them really tricky for defences in that not-quite-grand-slam winning year. 

Tshuinza needs to get a run of games to see what he’s like at this level, but he needs to be in a back row with experienced players not thrown in with a mixed haphazard back row that Pivac tends to pick. 

That would be my main change to be honest. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 5:46am
Watching the superb stronger together  football documentary on welsh football and its incredible to see the journey and how it compares so favourably with the downhill slide of welsh rugby...

After sparkys tenure ended in defeat at the last game to the russians in 2004....Tosh came in swept the cupboard and brought in a load of young talent...The committee men simply got out of the way, to allow proper old school football men getting stuck in. Sending out brian flynn and the scouts scouring the lands for new blood. Flynn checked everyone passports and their ancestors too lol and landed some real gems like ashley williams, robson kanu etc ....

Toshacks 6 year reign was a huge catalyst...short term pain long term gain...11 of the players who made 2 euros were youngsters he brought in, including 16 yr old bale and 17 yr old ramsey...Gary speed then came in to build on this and professionalise things further and laid the ground work for the glory years to follow

How can this apply to welsh rugby? national teams and always in a constant state of evolution, nothing stands still.....welsh rugby is on a precipice atm the present is mediocre but its the future which looks worse....This is an aging squad with very little signs of huge promising players coming through

Maybe we need a toshack and flynn revolution to throw caution to the winds and back a few younger stars and scour the world for young welsh talent? Also to invest more into scouting within welsh rugby to seek out and hand pick more young talent....
The worry is whether the talent is actually out there to be found? A load of talent must be getting lost atm The regions perhaps should allow coaches more tie and leeway to field younger sides with a longer term view to develop talents....

Again Id question whats happenning at the academies, the under 21s development sides...wales A disappeared...why has the talent dried up since the last golden generation? Several kids are lost to other sports and to english clubs to...Has the regional game turned into a stale closed shop, ever more difficult for clubs players to break into and with no threat of relegation in a constant state of complacency too. 

The fans would obviously prefer to join an anglo welsh league perhaps with the demise of a few bankrupt english rugby giants, now could be a time to see if there is some way to break into their first or second division and work our way to the top? Id rather that than travel 3000 miles to play a league match

Is nepotism still rife as many suggest? I suspect it is... If so how do we weed out this plague? Nepotism if not culled will kill our game, like some rotting fungus polluting a garden it must be identified , weeded out completely and eradicated. No kid should ever leapfrog another simply because he/she is better connected

As it stands we have zero chance of the next world cup..Theres not a great deal to lose as we're already bottom of the 6 nations and regions are struggling in front of abysmal crowds...We actually need to start planning beyond that NOW....welsh football feels fresher , more energized, less burocratic, more dynamic , flexible and fun than welsh rugby atm which has felt complacent, sluggish and stale for way too long....Sadly the amateur blazers at the wru are part of the problem not any solution and continue to block, stall, distract and delay any progress to the top

Edited by Sir Duckling Tuft - 08 November 2022 at 6:10am
sir duckling tuft
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 6:15am
Nepotism accusations need to be evidenced and be independently verified, otherwise they don't get past the anecdotal stage, and won't get addressed.
I would like to see a process where a player gets clear direction as to why they didn't make it to the next level, and be given the support to get there going forward.
As the likes of Cubby, Sanjay, Halfpenny and Wyn would testify, the academy system is far from foolproof.

People see nepotism as part of the problem, it could be, but far too often those that raise it are also part of the same problem i.e. guys that were overlooked in their youth, relatives of players that didn't get picked this time, a coach or person who they fell out with, or someone that just plain dislikes the team/club/structure etc.

The other thing that gets overlooked quite often is a large slab of current and future players are sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, grandsons, granddaughters of former players and coaches. Rugby is in their blood. To tag their selection in to the system as pure nepotism seems a bit counter intuitive to me.

The Welsh academy/development pathways have many challenges, that one doesn't make the Top 3 for me ( which are funding, identifying talent and having modern assessment tools to monitor them - including clear KPI's, and the strategy for the player growth to the first team).

Edited by Wil Chips - 08 November 2022 at 6:16am
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 7:35am
Ahhhh,now I get it.The reason so many jobs in local government,for example,are occupied by members oof the same family is simple,really-it's in the blood!Well remunerated,secure employment obviously depend upon genetic disposition.Wunderbar!
More laptops,more flip-charts,more buzzwords......that'll sort the game out.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Ahhhh,now I get it.The reason so many jobs in local government,for example,are occupied by members oof the same family is simple,really-it's in the blood!Well remunerated,secure employment obviously depend upon genetic disposition.Wunderbar!
More laptops,more flip-charts,more buzzwords......that'll sort the game out.

You have made a pretty good case for what I've just pointed out there. Anecdotal and sweeping generalism of unproven spew.
Missed out on the job you wanted right?

I can imagine a dad wanting his son to score a try against England, not sure if he'd have the same feeling about wanting him to be an accounts clerk for Carmarthen CC. You can explain that I'm sure.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 7:56am

Watching the superb stronger together  football documentary on welsh football and its incredible to see the journey and how it compares so favourably with the downhill slide of welsh rugby...

After sparkys tenure ended in defeat at the last game to the russians in 2004....Tosh came in swept the cupboard and brought in a load of young talent...The committee men simply got out of the way, to allow proper old school football men getting stuck in. Sending out brian flynn and the scouts scouring the lands for new blood. Flynn checked everyone passports and their ancestors too lol and landed some real gems like ashley williams, robson kanu etc ....

Toshacks 6 year reign was a huge catalyst...short term pain long term gain...11 of the players who made 2 euros were youngsters he brought in, including 16 yr old bale and 17 yr old ramsey...Gary speed then came in to build on this and professionalise things further and laid the ground work for the glory years to follow

How can this apply to welsh rugby? national teams and always in a constant state of evolution, nothing stands still.....welsh rugby is on a precipice atm the present is mediocre but its the future which looks worse....This is an aging squad with very little signs of huge promising players coming through

Maybe we need a toshack and flynn revolution to throw caution to the winds and back a few younger stars and scour the world for young welsh talent? Also to invest more into scouting within welsh rugby to seek out and hand pick more young talent....
The worry is whether the talent is actually out there to be found? A load of talent must be getting lost atm The regions perhaps should allow coaches more tie and leeway to field younger sides with a longer term view to develop talents....

Again Id question whats happenning at the academies, the under 21s development sides...wales A disappeared...why has the talent dried up since the last golden generation? Several kids are lost to other sports and to english clubs to...Has the regional game turned into a stale closed shop, ever more difficult for clubs players to break into and with no threat of relegation in a constant state of complacency too. 

The fans would obviously prefer to join an anglo welsh league perhaps with the demise of a few bankrupt english rugby giants, now could be a time to see if there is some way to break into their first or second division and work our way to the top? Id rather that than travel 3000 miles to play a league match

Is nepotism still rife as many suggest? I suspect it is... If so how do we weed out this plague? Nepotism if not culled will kill our game, like some rotting fungus polluting a garden it must be identified , weeded out completely and eradicated. No kid should ever leapfrog another simply because he/she is better connected

As it stands we have zero chance of the next world cup..Theres not a great deal to lose as we're already bottom of the 6 nations and regions are struggling in front of abysmal crowds...We actually need to start planning beyond that NOW....welsh football feels fresher , more energized, less burocratic, more dynamic , flexible and fun than welsh rugby atm which has felt complacent, sluggish and stale for way too long....Sadly the amateur blazers at the wru are part of the problem not any solution and continue to block, stall, distract and delay any progress to the top

The Toshack story is a great listen. His tenure laid the foundations of what Page is reaping now. He was very quick to point out the huge work done by Flynn. Welsh rugby appears to be sleep walking towards another World Cup with a very similar squad, all 4 years older with a very average performance record since the last tournament. 

Surely it is time to identify the potential stars of the the 2027 tournament. Pivac will of course say he is doing that with the likes of Lake, Tschiunza, Reffell & Costelow - he is correct to a point but even a cursary glance through the admittedly under performing clubs throw up some gems who he is not selecting. Identifying is not the same as trusting them to run the game & gaining valuable experience along the way. 

Take the case of Harri O'Connor - why on earth is he not in the squad ahead of Wainwright. Wainwright is still 4th choice TH at Saracens despite Koch leaving. In addition Wainwright will not feature much at training as he won't make the Welsh 23 unless there is a calamity so where is the logic that Pivac usually trots out of being available for training etc etc. 

Mason Grady we are told is training with the squad - why isn't one of Grady or Llewelyn actually in the squad which is hardly blessed with centres. AWJ is not really contributing more than Carter or Jenkins could be doing off the bench. We are not going to win this World Cup thats pretty clear so lets play as many young guys as we can giving them valuable caps/experience in readiness for a real attempt on 2027. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 10:20am

We are not going to win this World Cup thats pretty clear so lets play as many young guys as we can giving them valuable caps/experience in readiness for a real attempt on 2027. 

This was the attitude the French took to WC in Japan, but of course they knew they were hosting WC 2023 so had extra reason to throw caution to the wind and build for the future - it’s paying dividends now! 

My only gripe is what’s the point on putting it all on a World Cup? One red card or refereeing decision swings it. England, France, Ireland have more money than Wales, New Zealand and South Africa larger player pools. 

At this point our real peer group in International rugby are Australia (declining), Scotland (small player base) and then probably Argentina and Japan who are improving. 

That’s where we are, but not necessarily where we want to be. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Nepotism accusations need to be evidenced and be independently verified, otherwise they don't get past the anecdotal stage, and won't get addressed.
I would like to see a process where a player gets clear direction as to why they didn't make it to the next level, and be given the support to get there going forward.
As the likes of Cubby, Sanjay, Halfpenny and Wyn would testify, the academy system is far from foolproof.

People see nepotism as part of the problem, it could be, but far too often those that raise it are also part of the same problem i.e. guys that were overlooked in their youth, relatives of players that didn't get picked this time, a coach or person who they fell out with, or someone that just plain dislikes the team/club/structure etc.

The other thing that gets overlooked quite often is a large slab of current and future players are sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, grandsons, granddaughters of former players and coaches. Rugby is in their blood. To tag their selection in to the system as pure nepotism seems a bit counter intuitive to me.

The Welsh academy/development pathways have many challenges, that one doesn't make the Top 3 for me ( which are funding, identifying talent and having modern assessment tools to monitor them - including clear KPI's, and the strategy for the player growth to the first team).

REMOVED [8.11.22]

Edited by KID A - 08 November 2022 at 2:46pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 11:01am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

We are not going to win this World Cup thats pretty clear so lets play as many young guys as we can giving them valuable caps/experience in readiness for a real attempt on 2027. 

This was the attitude the French took to WC in Japan, but of course they knew they were hosting WC 2023 so had extra reason to throw caution to the wind and build for the future - it’s paying dividends now! 

My only gripe is what’s the point on putting it all on a World Cup? One red card or refereeing decision swings it. England, France, Ireland have more money than Wales, New Zealand and South Africa larger player pools. 

At this point our real peer group in International rugby are Australia (declining), Scotland (small player base) and then probably Argentina and Japan who are improving. 

That’s where we are, but not necessarily where we want to be. 

How long England will remain in the elite financed group remains to be seen. I would argue that whilst money is, of course, important at International level it is not as important. After all a team is 23; a squad 35ish. I still maintain that there is sufficient talent in Wales for us to be successful. Communities that produced genius like Benny & Jiffy still exist. Where our talent is being let down is in the standard & structure of the coaching. 

If the WRU had anything about them they would get someone like Scott Robertson in to replace Pivac on December 1st; let him have the pick of his coaching staff and agree with him that we are looking at the 2027 tournament as our main goal. Time to say goodbye & thank you to Halfpenny, Liam, Cuthbert, MCNicholl, Anscombe, Cawdor, Priestland, Foxy, Ken, Francis, AWJ, Navidi, Lydiate, Tipuric & Faletau. Some of these boys may well be needed until we have identified their replacements but you get the general drift. 

Get boys like Rogers, Conbeer, Giles, Grady, Llewelyn, JBR, Hawkins, Costelow, Blacker, O'Connor brothers, Jac Price, Carter, Jenkins, Tschiunza, Jac Morgan, Reffell & Josh McLoud involved regularly & see who raises their games to the necessary standards. It is pretty clear that Robertson can identify a winning formula at a decent level; lets see if he transfer that to the highest level. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 11:07am

removed

Dic FFS what is corporate speak about identifying talent & using modern technology to assist in their development. Do you not think these things are being used very effectively within the professional game at the moment. Wil, in my reading of his post, was suggesting that perhaps nepotism, while not being ruled out, is not the main areas we in Welsh rugby should be looking at when we try to develop our talent.

You do yourself absolutely no favours by ignoring your obvious good understanding of this game & resorting to snide remarks on someone's professional career.

Edited by KID A - 08 November 2022 at 2:47pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 11:35am

Dic FFS what is corporate speak about identifying talent & using modern technology to assist in their development. Do you not think these things are being used very effectively within the professional game at the moment. Wil, in my reading of his post, was suggesting that perhaps nepotism, while not being ruled out, is not the main areas we in Welsh rugby should be looking at when we try to develop our talent.

You do yourself absolutely no favours by ignoring your obvious good understanding of this game & resorting to snide remarks on someone's professional career.

He denies the existence of nepotisnm and then proceeds to justify it,with eugenics.
As for snide remarks-he really has a lot of form there 

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 11:45am

[QUOTE=Wil Chips]Nepotism accusations need to be evidenced and be independently verified, otherwise they don't get past the anecdotal stage, and won't get addressed.

He denies the existence of nepotisnm and then proceeds to justify it,with eugenics.

For a start Dic let me correct you - nepotism was not denied just not seen as one of the main reasons & also if stated then it should be evidenced. Using the word eugenics is clearly very sensitive given its past connections. Suggesting that athletic abilities can be handed down genetically is hardly ground breaking. I have talked up Mason O'Grady on this forum recently; have a look at his family to see some inherited ability. 

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 11:58am
Bit of a worry on the academy front is lots of the guys breaking through are not local lads o’connor carwyn ayoung williams at 9 all english costello ospreys via leicester If a west wales region can’t prodouce half backs then that is real concern even in that ruck stars documentary our best forward 
Came from england and we lost every game! The  big hopes of our academy in recent yeaes have not kicked on as yet (knott released james can’t get a look in) something is going wrong between age group and  regional first team , the “exiles” lads seem to be ones getting game time

Edited by RR1972 - 08 November 2022 at 11:59am
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 1:23pm

To be fair would you bet against one of George & Becky North’s kids becoming an elite athlete?
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 1:26pm
Theres been several tales of perceived nepotism within welsh rugby on these threads alone. Have all regions and the wru really scoured the world for the best or taken a short cut and offered jobs to local people they know? Its not for fans to prove every anecdote in a court of law. Its for the professional game to disprve all perceptions of nepotism by being as open , transparent and professional as possible. In the end success on the field is critical but theres also the journey to success...It would be nice to be successful because of the system not in spite of it. Thats the kind of success thats built to last.

Wales A has been discussed many times, that was always very successful stepping stone, it took people out of their regional set ups and gave them a different opportunity, just using the wales u20s is not enough. We need the A team to develop and test  senior players and combinations of players on the fringe of test rugby. This used to get big 10,000 crwds which no doubt helped finance the A team project to

Theres also the fact some clubs run no youth teams whereas some run loads (up to 12 teams in some clubs) But the financial grants funding for those running 12 teams is miniscule. This should have been rectified decades ago. Simple reward and finance sufficiently those clubs who do the right thing. 
whatever the wru and regions are doing in terms of their scouting and development needs some serious improving as the talent isnt coming through and is being lost somewhere in a system with too many holes. This goes for coaching too. In the 20 years of regional rugby why have we barely produced any candidates for the national job?  In a country this small it really should be easy to find out where these holes are and fix them without some over elaborate burocratic stone walling nonsense.

Edited by Sir Duckling Tuft - 08 November 2022 at 1:28pm
sir duckling tuft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic