Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next Conservative leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 63>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

[QUOTE=totallybiasedscarlet]Just for context Mark Drakeford, when asked about Welsh Independence, described Nationalism as "an inherently right wing creed." He also once described Welsh speaking communities as "Poujadist." I've always been against Toryism but every so often I'm reminded why I've never voted Labour either. Trying to park their tanks on Tory lawns whilst their venerable Welsh leader accuses those of us who want a Welsh Democracy of being a bunch of rotten right-wingers. Sticks in my craw a little 

And there we have it TBS - which way to turn. 

Sadly my own party is a complete mess at the moment. Poor leadership allowing bad behaviour to go under the radar and bad candidates getting elected. Every Senedd term we have a problem with one of our elected members ... Mohamed Ashgar, Dafydd Ellis-Thomas, Simon Thomas, Neil McEvoy. Party procedures are not fit for purpose, pitiful numbers on the membership front and our broader policy offering is wishy washy, superficial progressive wish list stuff. Don't get me started on Education or we'll be here for months! LOL 

I'm quite jaded at the moment. There's good and bad in all parties but our political culture seems to be in a right hole at the moment. I think it's the fact that the UK is now so dysfunctional it just creates conflict. This is why I've shifted my emphasis towards reforming Britain and looking at a new union on different terms i.e. a Confederation of British Nation States. I want positive ideas for improvement instead of destructive finger pointing and defining oneselves by what we hate rather than by what we want to achieve.

Positive constructive ideas are always best. Sadly our politics is so advesorial ,particularly  at Westminster.
Confederation of British Nation States, and a different type of democracy is definitely  worth a look.
Do'nt think Plaid is in good shape I agree.
Not long ago, they, selected and imposed a candidate in Llanelli in the general election, not agreed by local members, which caused outrage.
Lot of people left, and one now sits as an Independant Councillor. 
Of this tends to happen in other parties too.Not good.

Drakeford has had his critics, but I think has done a good job.
He is generally  a sensible guy, and we needed that during pandemic.
Regarding positivity, whether you support world cup or not, at least he has gone there with good intent to boost Wales..and  we need it ATM
As I indicated in other thread, there is little chance of changes minds regarding  moral and ethical  issues in Qatar, and this is another  argument. 
Qatar have huge influence  ,and are  financially  intertwined with so many institutions  in UK.
They will most definitely  be filling the void left the Russian gas deficit.
Not a satisfactory  situation all round.We should be now investing  in clean renewable  energy  now , not importing from dodgy  foreign  countries. I despair when I see the results from COP.
What  world are we passing in to our children ?

Pimp - how long have we been talking about the need for clean energy???? What positive actions are we really taking which could be described as seismic???? A friend of mine recently moved into our village and renovated his new home. When faced with the choice of a new oil boiler or something green he spent a lot of time trying to find serious alternatives which would not cost him too much more - result nothing. If this government were really serious about climate change any person who needed a new gas/oil boiler in the past 10 years would have been offered serious incentives to go green. 

Thanks GPR. Disgraceful  really. 
Like I previously said.,talk is cheap.
No faith in either Current UK government, or world leaders to make any  sensible decisions to eradicate  climate change.
Some money agreed at COP, will go to mainly to countries affected by climate disasters. That's great,  but it's sticking plaster.
To get to the root of the problem, we need serious change
..but we won't get it.

I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 6:31pm
The uk contributes less than 1 per cent of carbon  gasses globally, if we go to net zero unless the big hitters like india china usa and co toe the line nothing we do will matter
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 7:06pm
Does the ordinary person really care about carbon reduction when they see exactly how much of a change to people's lives it will make...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The uk contributes less than 1 per cent of carbon  gasses globally, if we go to net zero unless the big hitters like india china usa and co toe the line nothing we do will matter

True but not the entire story. We have a trade deficit and most of the goods we're buying are being manufactured in those big emitting countries. We have to play our part too. This really is a case of all in it together.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 7:14pm

Correct RR .... China 12per cent, USA 4 per cent, India 3 percent.
There are huge challenges ahead.
China's issue is the huge population. They have a green energy policy, which is advanced, BUT, parallel to that they burn huge amount of fossil fuel.
Per person USA consumes more fossil fuel than anyone.

Regarding the UK, regardless of others, we need to get our own energy policy in order, before lecturing anyone else. It makes more sense anyway, to produce cheaper greener energy, and not be beholden to others
I stood yer on tanner bank
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 11:04pm
On the environmental front, the big issues appear to me to be:

1. Greenhouse gases
2. Habitat & biodiversity loss
3. Air pollution
4. Microplastics
5. PFOA's (non-stick coatings)

These amount to the "tragedy of the commons" problem and represent a colossal failure of governance globally. It's not just social and economic inequality that our economic and political models have failed on ... it's the "commons" too. We've allowed big business to s##t in the collective pool to the point that we're now living in our own filth. Of course, environmental breakdown and economic/social inequality go hand in hand very often. It's always the poorest that suffer first and most. Just look at how environmental degradation has affected different civilisations over the course of history. We should be highly animated wrt this issue.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 7:42am

China's issue is the huge population. They have a green energy policy, which is advanced, BUT, parallel to that they burn huge amount of fossil fuel.

Regarding the UK, regardless of others, we need to get our own energy policy in order, before lecturing anyone else. It makes more sense anyway, to produce cheaper greener energy, and not be beholden to others

Precisely pimp - wouldn't Germany be far better off now than contemplating rashioning energy if they had moved away from such a large reliance on Russian fossil based energy. Unless we are all in it together we may as well let nature take its course. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 2:47pm
So they failed on safe social housing with Gove admitting tens of thousands of homes are unsafe... Then news they failed on immigration with net figures at a record of over 500,000 people yet are only getting through abut 5% of the applications per year due to staff shortage. Meanwhile braverman cant even answer the most basic questions on her immigration policy, even when asked by a tory? Oh and the NHS is falling apart with people dying in ambulances as 3 in 10 cant find a hospital bed for the patients on board...Oh and theres a mass banking fraud with over 70,000 victims...No doubt due to a failure in banking regulations...Just another morning of catastrophic tory failure and the day isnt even over yet
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 3:33pm

Precisely pimp - wouldn't Germany be far better off now than contemplating rashioning energy if they had moved away from such a large reliance on Russian fossil based energy. Unless we are all in it together we may as well let nature take its course

That won't be pretty ... 

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

So they failed on safe social housing with Gove admitting tens of thousands of homes are unsafe... Then news they failed on immigration with net figures at a record of over 500,000 people yet are only getting through abut 5% of the applications per year due to staff shortage. Meanwhile braverman cant even answer the most basic questions on her immigration policy, even when asked by a tory? Oh and the NHS is falling apart with people dying in ambulances as 3 in 10 cant find a hospital bed for the patients on board...Oh and theres a mass banking fraud with over 70,000 victims...No doubt due to a failure in banking regulations...Just another morning of catastrophic tory failure and the day isnt even over yet

You missed further revelations over PPE contracts fasttracked to Tory donors/peers. Which I notice the BBC is not touching as a story. I'll assume it's a Guardian exclusive then.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 3:03am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

You missed further revelations over PPE contracts fasttracked to Tory donors/peers. Which I notice the BBC is not touching as a story. I'll assume it's a Guardian exclusive then.

The multi billion covid contracts fraud has somehow been buried under the hancock affair breaking his own rules debacle, which was at the time also burying the fact he green lighted covid afflicted pensioners back to care homes and the mass deaths. Before that disaster we also had the blocking of pharmacists and surgeries speed tackling the ppe and the testing. Then the failed track and trace, the unused supersized temporary hospitals which werent even used to quarantine nor for testing or vaccinations? Theres a mountain of bad news all buried under the other bad news and all we deal with is whats left on the surface
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 8:10am

Precisely pimp - wouldn't Germany be far better off now than contemplating rashioning energy if they had moved away from such a large reliance on Russian fossil based energy. Unless we are all in it together we may as well let nature take its course

That won't be pretty ... 

Thats an understatement TBS - it will be catastrophic. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 8:35am
We're sending 24 ambulances to Ukraine...very kind but have we really got 24 to spare ?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 8:49am

1. Greenhouse gases
3. Air pollution
4. Microplastics

These amount to the "tragedy of the commons" problem and represent a colossal failure of governance globally. It's not just social and economic inequality that our economic and political models have failed on ... it's the "commons" too. We've allowed big business to s##t in the collective pool to the point that we're now living in our own filth. Of course, environmental breakdown and economic/social inequality go hand in hand very often. It's always the poorest that suffer first and most. Just look at how environmental degradation has affected different civilisations over the course of history. We should be highly animated wrt this issue.

I think you have a good list there - 1 and 3 are probably the same. 4 would include all plastics and synthetics. Unsure about PFOAs actually, new to me. I may look into that.

I'm pretty gloomy about this topic based on er, all of human history, but I particularly am sceptical that too many are banking on a "magic bullet", that is a new technology that solves the problem. Whilst of course new, greenER (note the ER as nothing is completely green) technologies will be very useful the danger here is that it ignores reductionism or societal changes which I believe are also required and in fact, if implemented world wide, would make a much bigger difference faster. Magic bullets are essentially the result of money and how our society works: Governments want a new technology that is worth money and creates jobs etc. Telling people to do less of things loses money and jobs and makes them unpopular, not least when industry is also financing political parties. This is why I am not positive. Take driving. We can easily point out there are too many cars driving at present, contributing to issues above. Solutions proposed are rarely "don't drive", instead we're being told electric cars represent the future. There are understandable reasons why this is, of course, but those reasons don't matter at all in terms of the actual consequences. You can also see that technological advances have indeed improved one set of issues but typically create new, unforeseen ones. 

As a disclaimer I am a research chemist so live in a state of endless guilt and inner conflict about these issues but I'd end with a positive message: look at the story of CFCs. It can be done. It's strange this isn't referenced much, perhaps because the solution was a reductionism approach and that the problem was isolated to a single set of chemicals. Climate change is a lot more complex and linked to incredibly sensitive subjects such as quality of life and even global human population.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 10:59am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

1. Greenhouse gases
3. Air pollution
4. Microplastics

I think you have a good list there - 1 and 3 are probably the same. 4 would include all plastics and synthetics. Unsure about PFOAs actually, new to me. I may look into that.

I'm pretty gloomy about this topic based on er, all of human history, but I particularly am sceptical that too many are banking on a "magic bullet", that is a new technology that solves the problem. Whilst of course new, greenER (note the ER as nothing is completely green) technologies will be very useful the danger here is that it ignores reductionism or societal changes which I believe are also required and in fact, if implemented world wide, would make a much bigger difference faster. Magic bullets are essentially the result of money and how our society works: Governments want a new technology that is worth money and creates jobs etc. Telling people to do less of things loses money and jobs and makes them unpopular, not least when industry is also financing political parties. This is why I am not positive. Take driving. We can easily point out there are too many cars driving at present, contributing to issues above. Solutions proposed are rarely "don't drive", instead we're being told electric cars represent the future. There are understandable reasons why this is, of course, but those reasons don't matter at all in terms of the actual consequences. You can also see that technological advances have indeed improved one set of issues but typically create new, unforeseen ones. 

As a disclaimer I am a research chemist so live in a state of endless guilt and inner conflict about these issues but I'd end with a positive message: look at the story of CFCs. It can be done. It's strange this isn't referenced much, perhaps because the solution was a reductionism approach and that the problem was isolated to a single set of chemicals. Climate change is a lot more complex and linked to incredibly sensitive subjects such as quality of life and even global human population.

Yes, it was a specific problem with a specific set of emitters that could be targeted through regulation effectively.

This is why campaigners should be specific about their causes:

Just stop oil, is quite pointless in my opinion, but ‘Insulate Britain’ was actually a relatively sane campaign line for eco-activism.

The more specific people get the more achievable the goal.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Yes, it was a specific problem with a specific set of emitters that could be targeted through regulation effectively.

This is why campaigners should be specific about their causes:

Just stop oil, is quite pointless in my opinion, but ‘Insulate Britain’ was actually a relatively sane campaign line for eco-activism.

The more specific people get the more achievable the goal.

Well, just examining the three words they chose as their slogan, then yes, but if you go on their website they do have a specific demand, which is ending new licences and consent for oil/gas projects. So I don't see how they are not being specific with this. Is your criticism that they are not offering an alternative? If so, they are not politicians, they are a pressure group aiming to influence the public and politicians. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 63>
  Share Topic