Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)
    Posted: 01 March 2024 at 7:15pm
Tried some Melford Mild and Deuchars while awaiting my takeaway at our local tonight.

The mild was 3.7% and is from a very good Suffolk brewer. Long Melford is a chi-chi very large village well worth a visit if in the area.

Deuchars, a Scottish beer can’t recall where although i think pretty far north. Only ever drunk it in The Oxford Bar in Edinburgh, Rebus and Ian Rankin’s local.

Both excellent and our local is in very good hands
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

early april hoping weather improves it’s thurs to sun. fly brom bistol early thurs back sun night
We’ve had plenty of April trips with great weather - no guarantees, naturally.

4th to 7th, or the following week?

Where are you staying? By all means, PM me if you prefer.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 2:01pm

early april hoping weather improves thurs to sun.

Don't forget RR do it properly & remember to spit it out & not swallow. You know it makes sense. Wink
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 1:52pm
early april hoping weather improves it’s thurs to sun. fly brom bistol early thurs back sun night

Edited by RR1972 - 13 February 2024 at 2:04pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 1:03pm

one for my good friend mr EO. i am to bordeaux in april looking to book a wine tasting trip to st emilion any suggestions?
Yes!

What dates are you going to be there?

Would recommend a visit to Le Cité du Vin in Bordeaux itself. I’d also recommend looking at what the tourist office has on offer re wine tasting. That’s the offices both in Bordeaux where you’ll get access to trips on the Medoc to the north, and St Emilion - they’ve got some great guides.

For St Emilion itself, if you want to treat yourself, book a private tour where you get a guide to yourself/ves.

The St Emilion wine tastings might be best approached with care. We’ve been on one and weren’t too impressed with the Grand Cru wine - there are stacks of Grands Crus in St Em. Classé A & B are the really pricey ones.

Hope that helps to be going on with.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 9:43am
one for my good friend mr EO. i am to bordeaux in april looking to book a wine tasting trip to st emilion any suggestions?
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2024 at 7:31pm
It’s a while since a post on here. Hopefully, some of you have found some new wines that you’ve enjoyed.
Please tell if you have.

Am enjoying a Chateau Cru Godard 2021. It’s a gift from my dentist here. It’s his brother in law’s vineyard that’s about 20 mins away. Cotes de Francs Bordeaux, it’s a small area that you don’t see much of in the UK. If you do, it’s more likely to be in a wine merchant than a supermarket due to the smaller production and being one of the lesser known appellations in Bordeaux. 

No idea of the price. It is very pleasant, although patience would’ve probably been a better option as I prefer older French wines.

Other wines over the festive period included some sweet wine with pâté, the best of which was probably the ris de veau and cèpes flavour. It was from 2004 and tasted very spritely.

There’s some fear amongst the vineyards over the upcoming cold spell. Minus 46C in north Sweden yesterday is a new record and with the warmer than normal autumn and winter, vines are further advanced. Fingers crossed.

Cheers to all
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2023 at 6:45am
Here’s a claim! It’s from Welsh Bros of Scotland, Ontario, Canada.

“Want to avoid a hangover?

Eat Asparagus!

Eating asparagus before you start drinking can help protect your liver. Its minerals and amino acids not only protect the liver from toxins, the enzymes in asparagus can help break down the alcohol and alleviate hangovers.”

Fever posters have responsible as their middle name when it comes to consumption, however, I thought it worth sharing Hug

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2023 at 10:53am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

News of a great Black Friday deal from Sporting Wines, the suppliers of the Scarlets wines, the superb white that even red wine lovers think great, 9-3, and red 1872. They’re at 40% off at £8 a bottle.

Plenty of other bargains, too. The Lionel Messi L10 wines are 60% off also at £8 a bottle for their top wines and about £6.50 for their entry level wines.

The Jacky Lorenzetti wines and many others on the special promotion are well worth a try.

Hope you can take some advantage of this and enjoy what you order.

Thanks for the info EO - had my case of Messi Malbec & 9-3 in the cart until they tried to charge me £1.50 per bottle for delivery which is a total rip off. Actual cost is around 50p which I would have willingly paid.
I think the delivery charge is £18 and not a per bottle charge. If you can double the order, it gets down to 75p per bottle and it’s still a huge saving off the normal price. It 36 bottles for the 50p mark. At £7 off a bottle, using the 9-3 as an example, it’s great value. Buying decent wine under a tenner is so tough in the shops.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2023 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

News of a great Black Friday deal from Sporting Wines, the suppliers of the Scarlets wines, the superb white that even red wine lovers think great, 9-3, and red 1872. They’re at 40% off at £8 a bottle.

Plenty of other bargains, too. The Lionel Messi L10 wines are 60% off also at £8 a bottle for their top wines and about £6.50 for their entry level wines.

The Jacky Lorenzetti wines and many others on the special promotion are well worth a try.

Thanks for the info EO - had my case of Messi Malbec & 9-3 in the cart until they tried to charge me £1.50 per bottle for delivery which is a total rip off. Actual cost is around 50p which I would have willingly paid.
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2023 at 3:31am
anyone enjoy beaujolais day
sir duckling tuft
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2023 at 7:08pm

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2023 at 7:08pm
Drinking like a king this evening.

Just back from the vineyard about 30 mins from us whose wine was the one presented to the royals on the recent visit to and around Bordeaux.

Most folk don’t hold back about the royals on here. Free speech and personal views are the meat and drink of forums. Going back over 50 years, the earliest quotes from Charles I can remember were in relation to the environment. At the time, he was very much in the minority and seemingly a tree-hugging extremist.

Now, his views on environment and sustainability are mainstream.

It’s as a result of those long held beliefs that the Bordeaux Wine Council managed to choose whose wine should be the only one presented on the royal visit.

With around 5,000 vineyards, how do you choose one without upsetting the other almost 5,000? Thanks to Charles’s lifetime beliefs, they were able to give the honour to the prize winner of the most sustainably produced quality wine in their region.

Despite only having owned a vineyard for 3 years, Noémie Tanneau’s expertise and drive, not to mention lateral thinking, produced the winning wine.

She was allowed which of her wines would be served and she chose her cheapest wine. The reason she did so was that she wanted people to be able to taste a wine that was as accessible as possible price wise, rather than her most expensive wine. Yes, royalty will be used to tasting very expensive big name wines, much of whose price is for the marketing. She wanted something that was more feet on ground for the common person.

Astonishingly, she wasn’t invited to the tasting so wasn’t any closer than 70kms of the event. Asked why, she said there were around 200 VIP invitees so no room for her. We replied that they’d probably have far rather talked to her than all the other folk there because it was such a passion of theirs.

Unusually, their most expensive wine is a rosé for autumn and winter drinking with food, named after her younger daughter. The sparkling rosé has her older daughter’s name. 

The vineyard is also registered with the bird protection society and some of their labelling (all of which is very thoughtful, more modern and artistic) reflects this.

Although the vineyard is in the process of getting its organic certification (Bio in France), it takes 3 years. During that process, the wine is produced in the same way as organic and the labels can state that. Not until the certification is granted can the Bio stamp go on there.

One other certification is Haute Valeur Environmentale - High Environmental Value. This is the thinking person’s conscious sustainable and to many is the best label to have. 

They’ve had huge demand since the visit and all the press coverage. Lots of purchases from France and maybe only 10 English folk have bought on site. Loads of demand and they only sell the Charles & Camilla wine if you buy the same number of bottles of other of their wines.

It’s a small family business. Her mum and dad were there working hard. It’s run on great lines and deserves to be successful. 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2023 at 10:47pm
I have to cut back on wine it's getting out of hand now.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2023 at 5:46pm
Enjoying some excellent Chilean 🍷 to accompany the second half. 100% Cabernet Sauvignon made by a family of Norwegian origin who emigrated there. Superb taste and depth and I’m not usually a big Cab Sav fan. With or without food.

Always give a little thanks to the Majestic manager (Harlequins fan) that put me onto it.

Don’t let the all English label put you off.

Their website is quite something, too. Gourmet food, wine tours, tastings, treks, accommodation. The prices shown are more expensive than buying at Majestic, for the Vik A Cabernet Sauvignon. About £23 plus shipping per bottle on the site, it was about £17/£18 in Majestic.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 23 September 2023 at 5:55pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2023 at 1:27pm
Jean-Pierre Rives’s artistic talent channelled to special labels with a World Cup theme, available to buy on good quality wine. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw0OANuNVAm/?img_index=1 for the article in the Sud Ouest with some more pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
  Share Topic