Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another RFC loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Neither Llandovery or Quins have Scarlets players this weekend.

The difference is they spend a 6 figure sum a year on a core of non Scarlet affiliated players, and RFC don’t.

Money doesn’t guarantee success, but it does avoid abject failure/relegation of course.
and they have age groups to feed players into the first team. Llamdovery well off club with that caravan site. Having a losing rfc teAm is not good for them or the region imo.  I go a few times a year it’s always a good day with a knowledgable crowd and you often get to see and talk to ex stars of yesteryear.  The whole thing is more personal than regional rugby
had a load of up the liners to llandovery over the years as i live by station in tirydail,great town and great day out although with the last train back being after 8 pm it gets messy.LOL
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2021 at 5:13pm

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I agree
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

The difference is they spend a 6 figure sum a year on a core of non Scarlet affiliated players, and RFC don’t.

Money doesn’t guarantee success, but it does avoid abject failure/relegation of course.
and they have age groups to feed players into the first team. Llamdovery well off club with that caravan site. Having a losing rfc teAm is not good for them or the region imo.  I go a few times a year it’s always a good day with a knowledgable crowd and you often get to see and talk to ex stars of yesteryear.  The whole thing is more personal than regional rugby
had a load of up the liners to llandovery over the years as i live by station in tirydail,great town and great day out although with the last train back being after 8 pm it gets messy.LOL
I looked Tirydail station up on Google maps. 

That’s getting my defence in first.

There was no answer for Carms or Pembs, hence the question that follows.

Was this pre or post Beeching? WinkEmbarrassed
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2021 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

it's ammanford station but it is in tirydail,gods little acre.Big smile
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2021 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

it's ammanford station but it is in tirydail,gods little acre.Big smile
A lightning strike free zone, no less?
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2021 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by TurkQuay TurkQuay wrote:

That’s fair not sure why the fringe scarkets are not released to the rfc no a game this week
i've said this before but i think it would suit the scarlets for the rfc to go down as they would not have to use the facilities at the parc and they would still have the quins and drovers (who they favour with players) to feed them with players,as has been said very sad as if it wasn't for the history and heritage of the rfc the scarlets would not have been able to use that as a trump card for stand alone status.

Surely Llanelli RFC (formed in 1872) became the Scarlets in 2003 (same players, same coaches, in the same competitions, etc.), and retained the history and heritage. The club currently called Llanelli RFC is a semi-pro club which was formed in 2003 with totally new players, new coaches, new competition, etc., and only has a history of 18 years.
in theory its vice versa tbh

How is it the opposite of what I said ?.
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2021 at 2:41pm

The RFC lost heavily 43-16 to Bridgend on Friday. Bottom of the league surely? Embarrassing. Considerable under investment by the Scarlets in the RFC for years is causing problems.Is there any point in the RFC ? 

How much do the Scarlets invest in the RFC ?. 

Do they invest any money in Llandovery and Carmarthen ?.
The Scarlets actually owns the Rfc ( unlike any other Welsh region) so it makes the RFC unique. Not particularly liked ( to various degrees) , by the other Premiership clubs because of this. The Scarlets seems to want the RFC to succeed but fails to fund the older hard nosed semi pros needed to create success. The RFC is often defeated up front and in the loose by other clubs and of course they lose a lot. They also don’t have many fans as who wants to pay to watch losing rugby week in and week out. That then leads to lack of bar/ gate income and lack of sponsorship income. It’s pretty obvious really! 

On the other hand the Scarlets want to use the RFC to control and develop players ( although this seems to have lessened) which is great BUT if they are continuing to underinvest in eg 3-4 forwards/ ball carriers/stealers the plan falls apart. 

The region is also very sensitive to keeping the Drovers and Quins happy when frankly they are long established businesses in Towns with club houses and open for daily business. The RFC is based in a Stadium just for the few hours of the game. The RFC should get better Scarlets allocation but don’t and won’t! 

So overall it’s a glass half full or half empty scenario depending on your views and just unsatisfactory. The future is with the Scarlets and I feel sorry for the loyal players who want success but don’t have the fire power to succeed. I would think that young Scarlets talent would thrive more if they had a competitive platform to win and this would accelerate their development, as opposed to being battered and hammered most weeks 

Thanks. You haven't said how much the Scarlets invest in Llanelli (or the other two) so I assume you don't know, but thanks for the response. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2021 at 3:41pm

That’s fair not sure why the fringe scarkets are not released to the rfc no a game this week
i've said this before but i think it would suit the scarlets for the rfc to go down as they would not have to use the facilities at the parc and they would still have the quins and drovers (who they favour with players) to feed them with players,as has been said very sad as if it wasn't for the history and heritage of the rfc the scarlets would not have been able to use that as a trump card for stand alone status.

Surely Llanelli RFC (formed in 1872) became the Scarlets in 2003 (same players, same coaches, in the same competitions, etc.), and retained the history and heritage. The club currently called Llanelli RFC is a semi-pro club which was formed in 2003 with totally new players, new coaches, new competition, etc., and only has a history of 18 years.

because the region are the new entity founded in 2003 and the rfc are a continuation of llanelli , that’s the theory anyhow

Edited by RR1972 - 07 November 2021 at 3:41pm
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 11:35am

because the region are the new entity founded in 2003 and the rfc are a continuation of llanelli , that’s the theory anyhow
Whose theory ?.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 12:02pm

Whose theory ?.
you clearly don’t want this to be the case
But llamelli rfc is a continuation of the old rfc  not a new start up, sorry if that upsets you but it’s the truth
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 12:16pm
Graham Price, in today's Western Mail commenting on Wales' scrum problems,lamenting the lack of coaching emphasis on this aspect of the game,and how different it was under Ray Prosser in the days of the Pontypool front row. They were prepared for any eventuality (cheating?) and knew exactly where their feet, body angles should be to counter the opposition. Also, how important the contribution of the back five forwards was to them. He does say that front-row forwards develop late and that it would benefit many to do a longer apprenticeship in the Premiership. It would certainly benefit LLanelli rfc if this was taken seriously, with, an experienced prop or two to help ease the development props into the game. In the most recent Llanelli game that I witnessed, away to Aberavon, we were thrashed when experienced (and not very athletic) Aberavon props continuously and embarrassingly destroyed our scrum. We are probably trying to develop a modern, mobile front row to excel in the loose, but what use is that if the rules of the game mean that they can be mangled in the set pieces and continually pushed backward with penalties?
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 12:17pm

Whose theory ?.
you clearly don’t want this to be the case
But llamelli rfc is a continuation of the old rfc  not a new start up, sorry if that upsets you but it’s the truth
Scarlets Regional Limited was incorporated in 1997 is where the accounts have been posted every year since. Llanelli RFC Limited was incorporated in 2003.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Graham Price, in today's Western Mail commenting on Wales' scrum problems,lamenting the lack of coaching emphasis on this aspect of the game,and how different it was under Ray Prosser in the days of the Pontypool front row. They were prepared for any eventuality (cheating?) and knew exactly where their feet, body angles should be to counter the opposition. Also, how important the contribution of the back five forwards was to them. He does say that front-row forwards develop late and that it would benefit many to do a longer apprenticeship in the Premiership. It would certainly benefit LLanelli rfc if this was taken seriously, with, an experienced prop or two to help ease the development props into the game. In the most recent Llanelli game that I witnessed, away to Aberavon, we were thrashed when experienced (and not very athletic) Aberavon props continuously and embarrassingly destroyed our scrum. We are probably trying to develop a modern, mobile front row to excel in the loose, but what use is that if the rules of the game mean that they can be mangled in the set pieces and continually pushed backward with penalties?
Precisely 👍
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 12:26pm
So one is llanelli rfc and one is the scarlets. The rfc is basically the old club and the region a new set up. But in reality we all know the region is just the old club under a diff name and the rfc is just the seni pro arm of the club
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

worked for wyn jones
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic