Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scotty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by bills burr bills burr wrote:

Always been a tremendous player Obviously loads of injuries but last night he looked like scott of old. Looks pretty silly him not being in the autumn squad now, could cost us dear

At the end of the day, Wales are taking a beating either way. I'd rather Scott (selfishly), is fresh and hopefully he's back with Wales for the six nations for another rip on Courtney Lawes and a match winning try.

Lol, my thoughts exactly 

One step at a time for Scott at this point, a run of games without injury is going to do more for his confidence and love of the game than an intense Welsh training camp 

He's played 4/5 for us, and hopefully he will get a little break sometime over the AI's. Rather he recovers than get injured holding tackle bags in Cardiff !!!!
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2021 at 7:12pm
Rumour has it, Scott was fit for the last 2 months of last season but the Ospreys chose not to play him, he’s played 4 from 5 in the league and played a part in the 2 pre season matches too.
Scott knows how to look after himself, I can see him playing more games than any other back this season, which is great, we need consistency of selection and Castelow needs someone to nurture and support him, Scott is that player.  
I’d make him captain all season, not just when Foxy is away with Wales.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2021 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Rumour has it, Scott was fit for the last 2 months of last season but the Ospreys chose not to play him, he’s played 4 from 5 in the league and played a part in the 2 pre season matches too.
Scott knows how to look after himself, I can see him playing more games than any other back this season, which is great, we need consistency of selection and Castelow needs someone to nurture and support him, Scott is that player.  
that's not rumour,wil posted that when it first broke that he may be coming back.totally agree about captaincy.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

that's not rumour,wil posted that when it first broke that he may be coming back.totally agree about captaincy.
That’s right! I guess with Scott being absent via injuries the game plan had moved on so it was harder to fit him in ? But who cares now. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:57am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

That’s right! I guess with Scott being absent via injuries the game plan had moved on so it was harder to fit him in ? But who cares now. 

Ladram is correct I do recall Wil saying that Scott was available for the final couple of months but was not being selected. He also philosophically accepted that as his contract was not being renewed it was probably a good call by Booth to give others the chance.

This statement was needed at the time as many on here were questioning " signing another injury prone player". My view then and remains now was that a fit Scott would be invaluable. I agree with others that he should captain the team whenever he plays. It is clear now that Scott was fit. Who knows whats round the corner but his form and that of Blacker have been the highlights for me so far this season. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by bills burr bills burr wrote:

Always been a tremendous player Obviously loads of injuries but last night he looked like scott of old. Looks pretty silly him not being in the autumn squad now, could cost us dear

At the end of the day, Wales are taking a beating either way. I'd rather Scott (selfishly), is fresh and hopefully he's back with Wales for the six nations for another rip on Courtney Lawes and a match winning try.

Lol, my thoughts exactly 

One step at a time for Scott at this point, a run of games without injury is going to do more for his confidence and love of the game than an intense Welsh training camp 

He's played 4/5 for us, and hopefully he will get a little break sometime over the AI's. Rather he recovers than get injured holding tackle bags in Cardiff !!!!

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 10:39am
I did question the signing but admit he had been one of our best players in a very poor start to the season.
I still question the signing of a player with a recent history of injuries to the level he has had, based on the fact we signed Corey at the same time but neglected the one area where we needed to sign players in the back five of the scrum.
Was there a need to sign both when we have a good stable of centres. 
I also understand that Scott was a great player for us in the past and hopefully he can be again. 
As for being Captain why would you make somebody Captain who at the time was not sure if his place. On current form he would start in the first team but at the start of the season he had no form so how could you have made him Captain.
Are people really suggesting that we now take the Captaincy from Foxy who is on huge wages and give it to Scott. 
My Captain would have been Sione as somebody guaranteed a place in the team and someone who last season was ever present.

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I did question the signing but admit he had been one of our best players in a very poor start to the season.
I still question the signing of a player with a recent history of injuries to the level he has had, based on the fact we signed Corey at the same time but neglected the one area where we needed to sign players in the back five of the scrum.
I also understand that Scott was a great player for us in the past and hopefully he can be again. 
As for being Captain why would you make somebody Captain who at the time was not sure if his place. On current form he would start in the first team but at the start of the season he had no form so how could you have made him Captain.
Are people really suggesting that we now take the Captaincy from Foxy who is on huge wages and give it to Scott. 
My Captain would have been Sione as somebody guaranteed a place in the team and someone who last season was ever present.

What form did Foxy have???? There is such a thing as a club captain & playing many games per season hasn't been a problem in recent seasons. Steff Hughes I would wager captained the team more than the captain named at the start of last season. As for Sione being captain I think there is a feeling that our captain should be local & Welsh. I have no particular axe to grind on this one & can see both sides of the debate. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:22pm
Foxy played for Wales in six nations and the summer albeit not at his best but you advocate Scott and he hadn’t played for about 6 months. 
As I’ve said I don’t think either should be Captain why does the Captain have to be local and Welsh Easterby, Dave Hodges and Lyons to name a few have captained us with distinction. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:34pm

Foxy played for Wales in six nations and the summer albeit not at his best but you advocate Scott and he hadn’t played for about 6 months. 
As I’ve said I don’t think either should be Captain why does the Captain have to be local and Welsh Easterby, Dave Hodges and Lyons to name a few have captained us with distinction. 

As I said above Why I have no argument about being Welsh or not. The coaches will have known what physical condition all players were in during pre-season. On the injury front anything can happen at any time. However if it is clear to me and many on this forum that Scott's character make him an ideal captain then it should have been clear to everyone. How many times has it been said in the past 3+ years that we have not had decent on field leadership since Scott & John Barclay. 

I have absolutely nothing against Foxy or the fact that he is captain but my one real concern is that he will get the selection nod because he is captain & not because of form. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:40pm

The last time foxy was made captain he signed for clermont 6 weeks later "a team that matched his ambitions" the majority of his wages are met by the wru,the fact that he is captain means there is less chance of him being dropped irrespective of form which has been absent for 18 months and as much as he has done for us i think that has been more than matched by us in making sure he is still able to prolong his wales career and with regards to sioni being captain i would suggest looking at the munster game where he was throwing haymakers willy nilly whilst we had a great chance of beating them.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:44pm

The last time foxy was made captain he signed for clermont 6 weeks later "a team that matched his ambitions" the majority of his wages are met by the wru,the fact that he is captain means there is less chance of him being dropped irrespective of form which has been absent for 18 months and as much as he has done for us i think that has been more than matched by us in making sure he is still able to prolong his wales career and with regards to sioni being captain i would suggest looking at the munster game where he was throwing haymakers willy nilly whilst we had a great chance of beating them.
Wrong guy. You meant Louisi.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Wrong guy. You meant Louisi.
Apologies to sioni,and the forum.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:19pm
I have stated quite clearly that no one should be picked on reputation which happens all to often in Welsh rugby not only with us. 
Form is far more important and that is what selection alone should be based on. 
As for the Captaincy Sione is a player that leads by example and as I said ever present. As a player who is always in the game it is remarkable that he rarely gets a yellow or red card. 
Anyway to go back to the topic yes it’s great to have Scott back and firing in a Scarlet shirt.

My main worry is that across the river the Ospreys appear to be building a very strong squad under what appears to be good leadership and we can’t afford to fall much further behind. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:19pm
I understand the debate about Foxy as captain, especially given his form.

However I was one of those saying last April/May that he wasn’t done yet, and I still believe that, despite his performances in games this season.

To some extent Peel gave him the captaincy to try and motivate Foxy. He is a guy who has achieved pretty much everything in the game bar a World Cup final - giving him the responsibility of captaincy is another way of testing, challenging and improving him.

So far this season that hasnt looked like a great call (from me or Peel) but I think we’ll know more after the first two European games if it’s a good one or a bad one.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:25pm

I have stated quite clearly that no one should be picked on reputation which happens all to often in Welsh rugby not only with us. 
Form is far more important and that is what selection alone should be based on. 
As for the Captaincy Sione is a player that leads by example and as I said ever present. As a player who is always in the game it is remarkable that he rarely gets a yellow or red card. 
Anyway to go back to the topic yes it’s great to have Scott back and firing in a Scarlet shirt.

My main worry is that across the river the Ospreys appear to be building a very strong squad under what appears to be good leadership and we can’t afford to fall much further behind. 

Their pack, our backs - a match made in heaven. Evil Smile In all seriousness it has been coming. They are 12 months ahead of us if not more as they were making small steps of progress last season while we were floundering downwards. Dwayne has a big job on his hands & needs some inspired recruitment to help him. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic