Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.. Match thread v Tigers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by bills burr bills burr wrote:

The most biased commentary in rugby history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSkE6xQ4glA
immediately before and after every scarlets try, the commentators heaped praise upon the tigers brilliant defence? bonkers bias mun
Wacko

The commentary seconds before the Steff Hughes and Ryan Conbeer tries wasn't even bias, it was just a lack of understanding of what was happening on the pitch. Genuinely bizarre stuff!
Agree. While we appreciate the effort made to show us the game, its not too much to ask for them to have a team sheet in front of them with a few crib notes. They seemed like they genuinely had no idea who any of our team were. Maybe its just me but i take an interest in more that just our team.

I was at Welford Road on Thursday evening with my 14 y/o son, surrounded by Tigers fans. I've been there numerous times before, and studied in Leicester for a few years in the '90s, so used to get along to a few games - a lad on my course actually turned out for the Tigers a few times - but I never warmed to their style of play, which is still very much in evidence.

What also hasn't changed is the nature of the Tigers supporters - if anyone accuses a Scarlets supporter of being one-eyed, take them to Welford Road! There's an expectation that they should win every game, and every ball, every contact, every decision in every game, too, and for many it seems to be cloaked in a dour misery. One chap behind us pretty quickly turned on any Leicester player who committed an error, and he didn't take too well to 'Gengey' & co being penalised by a female ref. Angry

Perhaps it's that Tigers have fallen so far from their 'rightful' place at the top of English and European rugby, especially last season. But it was great to see the turn-out of the faithful for a Thursday night pre-season friendly, and I hope that their refreshed coaching team bring a bit more success (and perhaps some flair?) to revive a fallen giant.

Well at least our resident Tiger - tigerburnie - gives a fair & reasoned summation - credit to him. 
Sponsored Links

NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 4:39pm

Agree, There is a kind of arrogance in expectation. Must have been amazing to see the win in person, its been a long time.
It has! And it was! 20 months between games (although I did sneak along to watch London Scottish v Ebbw Vale at my local club a couple of weeks ago Wink).

I know that a lot of elder Scarlets supporters can probably relate to the Tigers fans' expectations, and the one-eyed comparisons are valid in some ways, but I wouldn't be supporting Scarlets if it wasn't for the way they have historically played - the contrast in styles is what makes the game interesting!
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 5:31pm
I think reference to tigers fans as one eyed is a bit misconstrued. Most of the tigers fans aren’t like that at all at least the ones i know. Yes they were used to winning when they were one of the most dominant teams in the pro era and that comes with the expectation (the recent history). What supporter doesn’t will their team to win. 

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:28am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think reference to tigers fans as one eyed is a bit misconstrued. Most of the tigers fans aren’t like that at all at least the ones i know. Yes they were used to winning when they were one of the most dominant teams in the pro era and that comes with the expectation (the recent history). What supporter doesn’t will their team to win. 

Hence my point about Turks not having the monopoly on monocular vision. Wink

As an infrequent but regular visitor to Welford road over the decades, I can only comment on the supporters around me at the games I've been to, and they always seem to have an air of grim pleasure (or, as often, displeasure) about them - in my mind, it's closely connected to their style of play. Equally, I know the Tigers' supporters' group's Chief Food & Beverage Taster, and he thoroughly enjoys his rugby, as well as his solemn voluntary duties. Approve

I hope their team puts a smile on their faces this season - no tougher start than against Exeter, but maybe home advantage will help.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Agree, There is a kind of arrogance in expectation. Must have been amazing to see the win in person, its been a long time.
It has! And it was! 20 months between games (although I did sneak along to watch London Scottish v Ebbw Vale at my local club a couple of weeks ago Wink).

I know that a lot of elder Scarlets supporters can probably relate to the Tigers fans' expectations, and the one-eyed comparisons are valid in some ways, but I wouldn't be supporting Scarlets if it wasn't for the way they have historically played - the contrast in styles is what makes the game interesting!
Oh Ive no doubt that we also have high expectations, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of not knowing much about our opposition. Honestly, watching as much rugby as I do, I would say I know a large amount of the players in the P14 and Gallagher, maybe a few squad players Im not familiar with. But for them not to know much about a side with 11 internationals in it is pretty insular
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 11:32am

Oh Ive no doubt that we also have high expectations, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of not knowing much about our opposition. Honestly, watching as much rugby as I do, I would say I know a large amount of the players in the P14 and Gallagher, maybe a few squad players Im not familiar with. But for them not to know much about a side with 11 internationals in it is pretty insular
I've watched the livestream back now, and can only agree! Proper fanzone 'commentary', riddled with partial views and inaccuracies on the opposition. Disapprove

Not sure what my favourite comment was - Glenn Delaney now being DoR or mid-2nd half line "some of the Scarlets replacements don't have numbered shirts, but we'll know when Samson Lee is on the pitch" when he'd been on since the 41st minute. LOL

It was clearly only meant for Tigers fans, but it shows the lack of knowledge outside their own country, or even postcode. I look forward to him joining the Premier Sports commentator line-up. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic