Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NZ 33 Australia 25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NZ 33 Australia 25
    Posted: 07 August 2021 at 12:13pm
Well, that was a game of three halves...

First 'half' (say, 37 min or so) - NZ play with the wind, don't use it but kick 3 pens - Aussies score 1 try and 1 pen - their kicker misses a couple of easy-ish kicks by not allowing for the strong wind.

Second 'half' - from 38 min onwards, NZ start to motor, finishing a lineout drive with a close quarter try by a winger, poaching one from his forwards... 16-8 as they turn around, then as Aussies get more territory, NZ lethal on the counter-attack - score a brilliant 'try', called back for a forward pass (one of 3, I thought!), then an interception near the 22 is run all the way back for one that counts. NZ then stretch away and dominate, to 33-8.

Third 'half' - Aussies seem to last better, get more field position and pressure, and fight back far too late - it finishes 33-25.

Two lessons: 1. Aussies could have won that with a better kicker - only 2/6, and most of his punts to touch weren't great either, and 2. I don't recall a single box kick all game - when there were kicks, they went long to gain territory. Far less kicking and more possession plays from both sides - far more entertaining rugby than Lions v SA.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2021 at 12:51pm
Totally agree Aber. Really enjoyed the game although 1st 20mins both teams were rusty and saw more handling errors than I have seen from both teams for years.
Interception try by muaga ended up being difference. 
Black's woke up and played well mid game, 1/2 backs excellent put pace on game and handling skills were excellent. We're 33-8 up and made few changes as did the aussies.
Aussies last 20 were different team, attacked much better with energy and some good youngsters coming through. 
Young 10 kicked poorly at goal, if he had his kicking boots on would have been difference. 
Another 5/10 mind and Australia would have won..... And no box kicks in game! 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
bills burr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bills burr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 2:30pm
disallowed try would have been try of the year too
B BURR
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

First 'half' (say, 37 min or so) - NZ play with the wind, don't use it but kick 3 pens - Aussies score 1 try and 1 pen - their kicker misses a couple of easy-ish kicks by not allowing for the strong wind.

Second 'half' - from 38 min onwards, NZ start to motor, finishing a lineout drive with a close quarter try by a winger, poaching one from his forwards... 16-8 as they turn around, then as Aussies get more territory, NZ lethal on the counter-attack - score a brilliant 'try', called back for a forward pass (one of 3, I thought!), then an interception near the 22 is run all the way back for one that counts. NZ then stretch away and dominate, to 33-8.

Third 'half' - Aussies seem to last better, get more field position and pressure, and fight back far too late - it finishes 33-25.

Two lessons: 1. Aussies could have won that with a better kicker - only 2/6, and most of his punts to touch weren't great either, and 2. I don't recall a single box kick all game - when there were kicks, they went long to gain territory. Far less kicking and more possession plays from both sides - far more entertaining rugby than Lions v SA.
Being more entertaining than the Lions in SA doesn't set the bar very high unfortunately.  A dire series.  Others are clearly showing what can be done.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Being more entertaining than the Lions in SA doesn't set the bar very high unfortunately.  A dire series.  Others are clearly showing what can be done.

Well, they did score 4 tries apiece, so I'd call that pretty good entertainment... plus a brilliant disallowed 'try'.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2021 at 12:44pm

Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Well, they did score 4 tries apiece, so I'd call that pretty good entertainment... plus a brilliant disallowed 'try'.

The disallowed try was a thing of beauty!
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2021 at 3:41pm
Except for the two forward passes.😁
Keep the faith
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

When I saw the try, I thought there was a forward pass very early on in the move, I was surprised therefore that they looked at the one they did.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

When I saw the try, I thought there was a forward pass very early on in the move, I was surprised therefore that they looked at the one they did.
And it would have given the Aussies a scrum on the All Blacks 22 instead of halfway.

Edited by greypower1 - 09 August 2021 at 5:44pm
Keep the faith
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2021 at 1:46pm

Three, I thought - but SH refs often let those short but forward passes go.

The one that was called started on one side of the halfway line and finished on the other, even though it only went 5m sideways... the NZ commentator refused to believe it was forward at first, but maybe changed his mind on re-viewing!
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2021 at 5:07pm
If interested:    On Sunday 10:55 am on the FREE Sky Sp Mix Ch416  Bocks  v  Oz
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Turkpower Turkpower wrote:

If interested:    On Sunday 10:55 am on the FREE Sky Sp Mix Ch416  Bocks  v  Oz

Didn't know that, cheers for sharing. Could be a v interesting game. A clash of styles.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic