Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edinburgh Match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:32am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

For me we were lucky to get a draw. If Edinburgh hadn't blown at least half a dozen great chances we would have been hammered. The 10/12 channel was very weak defensively and if Conbeer does not improve his tackling he will not make it. 

Our forwards lack power and once a team get within 5 metres its a question of when not if. As has been said by many a strong defensive coach is much needed. It was good to see Rob & Samson together again & I hope they can stay healthy and get the games they need to return to their best. 

For me Hardy, Rogers & Blade stood out with Casseim as always giving everything. I am glad to see the back of this season as it is probably the worst set of performances I can remember. Dwayne has a huge job on his hands thats for sure. 
I agree with your assessment. I would add though that our scrum was excellent and had the upper hand throughout. Steff Thomas has come through really well this season but it’s a huge shame to see Scholtz move on. I’ve a feeling he’ll do really well in England.

I'm sad to see Scholtz move on too, though at least we have WGJ coming in.
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:51am
that scholtz and steff thomas had the edge in the scrum, we actually lost a bit when rob and samson came on, but i put that down to lack of genuine game time
sad to see pieter go as he has done well for us and the fitter he has got the more you have seen him around the field, good signing for wasps.  steff thomas looked very handy at loosehead and gave their tighthead a tough time.

Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 9:08am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

that scholtz and steff thomas had the edge in the scrum, we actually lost a bit when rob and samson came on, but i put that down to lack of genuine game time
sad to see pieter go as he has done well for us and the fitter he has got the more you have seen him around the field, good signing for wasps.  steff thomas looked very handy at loosehead and gave their tighthead a tough time.

Agree. Very impressed by Steff Thomas. Scholtz has been gar better than I envisaged, carries and scrummages. It was concerning to see our scrum weaken when Samson and Rob came on, they both need to show improvement on yesterday as they seem to have regressed.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Agree. Very impressed by Steff Thomas. Scholtz has been gar better than I envisaged, carries and scrummages. It was concerning to see our scrum weaken when Samson and Rob came on, they both need to show improvement on yesterday as they seem to have regressed.

For Samson, it was his first match in over 6 months so I'll let him off for that, in Rob's case sometimes it's just an issue that your opposite prop is getting the better of you.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 9:25am
samson needs game time and he will get better (as long as he stays fit), did notice robs scrummaging was not straight but scrummaging at an angle. he does need to work on that, but he has hardly played any rugby as well. shame really the season for those 2 has come to an end.
scholtz in the perfect world would have been great to keep him and steff thomas really impressed. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 10:16am
Think in general of our coaches the scrum has been consistently strong. Good work being put in.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 10:26am

Think in general of our coaches the scrum has been consistently strong. Good work being put in.
Yeah Franks needs to be retained 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 11:16am
Is rob fit? He has not been the same since that grand slam in 2019. His game is falling off at an alarming rate
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Is rob fit? He has not been the same since that grand slam in 2019. His game is falling off at an alarming rate

He seemed ok towards the end of the regular season & in the first couple of matches if the rainbow cup, when I say ok I mean not at his best but by no means playing poorly. I'm glad in a way he wasn't selected by Wales for the summer as hopefully he have the summer off & come back fit & firing. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

He seemed ok towards the end of the regular season & in the first couple of matches if the rainbow cup, when I say ok I mean not at his best but by no means playing poorly. I'm glad in a way he wasn't selected by Wales for the summer as hopefully he have the summer off & come back fit & firing. 

At the moment Rob is a million miles away from the Wales team. On current form he does not make our strongest 23. He is a class player who just needs time on the pitch. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

The team we had out was virtually a second team with very few first team starters so all is not as bad as some make out. We have identified another star in the making. Next season we are promised we won’t have the call ups from Wales.
We will have some serious strength in depth in most positions a few we need to bolster, if we do then I can see us contending at top of league. 

Why I applaud your positivity. However Edinburgh also had out a 2nd team & bullied us up front & through the midfield for much of the game. If we can find a ball carrying lock who is durable & sort out our defensive systems then, on the back of a much improved attacking plan installed by Dwayne, we could well be competitive. 

We also need some luck with getting good players back fit & back to their best - Rob, Samson, Shingler, Cubby, Patchell, Foxy, Liam & Johnny to name a few. 
With the promised signings along with the year a lot of our youngsters have had in being able to develop we will be strong again.
Granted we need players back at somewhere near their best but no reason they shouldn’t be. 
Back line of Halfpenny, Sanjay, foxy, j Williams, Rogers, Patch, Cawdor 
Second back line j mc, conbeer, Tyler, Stef H, Stef E, Costello and Hardy.
Haven’t mentioned Dan Jones, O Brien, ioan, Blacker, Lewis and many more 
Forwards 
Wyn, Ken, WGJ, Louis, Jones, macloud, kalmafoni, blade 
Rob, Ryan, Samson, Helps, Drake, Dan Davies, Lezanna Shingler

Two very good sides need another second row and centre to bolster squad but the talent is there if fit we have no excuses. 
Dwayne got the players to be successful needs luck with injuries and a good defence coach. 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 2:31pm
I rarely post on this forum, but enjoy reading it. I am so dismayed however ,at the car crash of this  season, feel compelled to express my frustration with fellow scarlets fans and members! "Rochester" is spot on with everything he says. His posts are always thoughtful, and generally constructive !I dislike criticising individual players, no one goes out to play badly, but in professional sport ,you have to be judged  ultimately !Also its difficult to criticise the board, for their decisions, because many of them have dug deep in their pockets to keep scarlets in business. They did however make a mistake in appointing Delaney, and recognised it too late, by sacking him! From the very first game of the season against Munster, there were issues with structure and discipline. Ironically, on that day Munster's discipline was worse than ours, and we should have won, but failed to close down the game. Fast forward to the last game of the season, and its exactly the same, failing to shut out opponents and seal the win. Elementary skills in decision making and defence were completely absent, because its totally unforgiveable to ship 14 points in the last 5mins !We were caught in possession after the restart, conceding a pen, and a 5 metre line-out, ending with an inevitable score. If we had done the sensible thing, cleared our lines, a line-out  alone would have taken several mins, and eaten up valuable time. Lets be honest, this was a "nothing " game", with little but pride riding on it, but would scarlets have committed a similar error in an important match. ATM, probably so !The coaches have had all season to work on these failings, but sadly, we have made little progress. How Flanagan and Whiffen remain, puzzles me ,as our attack has frequently been slow and predicable! The two league games against the Cardiff blues illustrated that point. This leads me to the most contentious issue, defence. In my long history of supporting the scarlets and Llanelli, I cannot think of more pitiful defending, leading to THREE 50 point drubbings ! Against Leinster, it was not great, but with a full side to ship 50 points at home against sale in such a key game, was an utter disgrace! To make matters worse, we then shipped 50 points against the dragons in an awful display !Several members of our backline squad are just not good tacklers, dan jones, staff evans, ryan conbeer, an tyler morgan, to name a few. Its not just our individual tackling skills that are lacking, but an overall collective structure. We defend to shallow sometimes and are outflanked. In the modern era, defence wins games, as we know from Sean Edwards influence for Wales. Under Byron Hayward defence was good, and I remember sterling team performances in the European cup against Toulon, and La Rochelle. Who therefore has been responsible for defence this season ?was Delaney doubling up as defence, & head coach? Whatever the answer it was a disaster. Top priority now, as "rochester", and others have stated, is a defence coach, someone who can drill the team in to something vaguely resembling a professional unit. Its sad to say, and I hate saying it, that a lot of players seem to be in their comfort zone, and need a harsh dose of reality! Where has Liam Williams been all season, played 3 games ?To conclude, I have supported the scarlets since I was a boy, and will continue to do so, but coved 19 has had a huge impact on our communities, in every way including mental health and finances. In this context,  loyalty alone won't drag people through the turnstiles, it has to earned !I wish Dwayne Peel well, but on the face of it, I reckon we will have to be patient, as significant changes need to be made in regard to attitude , technique and game management. Its likely that our hands are tied financially in the present climate. but it my hope that we can sign a hefty second row, another centre(who can tackle) as 10 /12 channel has been weak. Finally I would like to thank all those players departing. I certainly would like to have kept Scholtz and Cassiem, who impressed even in their last game. Also a big "congratulations" to Nigel Short, gaining hons. Where would we be without him!
I stood yer on tanner bank
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 3:19pm
christ mate you could have put some breaks in that text. 
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 3:29pm
To be fair, and with 20/20 hindsight, the decline started before Delaney, although he was not the man to take over, .. as nice a fella that Moar seemed to be, he actually did nothing for the Scarlets in the form of exciting play or wins
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 3:39pm

christ mate you could have put some breaks in that text. 

I gave up after the second line!! LOLLOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 4:56pm
Fscarlet felt the same 😁 I am sure there are a lot of good points there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic