Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The British Press

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The British Press
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:51pm
Is it any wonder people vote the way they do, when they are so ill-served by most of the British press - most newspapers are owned by tax-dodging exile billionaires (as I have pointed out before), whose papers focus on either distractions, or on matters of little importance.

A rather extreme example has occurred today. I won't comment at all - just make up your own minds about which of the front page stories reported on the BBC summary matter the most, and on why a 'certain story' has been totally ignored by quite a few:

(PS - obviously, stories about COVID remain important, but that story is in the paper every day.... so not exactly 'news' in the accepted sense... more of an ever evolving scenario.)

Edited by aber-fan - 14 May 2021 at 2:55pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:54pm
The star is very high brow isn’t it😂😂 btw i find prince harry a real moaning whingebag these days

Edited by RR1972 - 14 May 2021 at 2:55pm
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Is it any wonder people vote the way they do, when they are so ill-served by most of the British press - most newspapers are owned by tax-dodging exile billionaires (as I have pointed out before), whose papers focus on either distractions, or on matters of little importance.

A rather extreme example has occurred today. I won't comment at all - just make up your own minds about which of the front page stories reported on the BBC summary matter the most, and on why a 'certain story' has been totally ignored by quite a few:

(PS - obviously, stories about COVID remain important, but that story is in the paper every day.... so not exactly 'news' in the accepted sense... more of an ever evolving scenario.)

Youve lost me here aber, what are we meant to be looking for?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Youve lost me here aber, what are we meant to be looking for?

Some papers are reporting in their headlines that Cameron:

1. made 56 contacts with government on behalf of now failed so-called 'bank' Greensill

2. stood to gain £60 million from Greensill if all went well (reported as being up to £200 million elsewhere)

Other papers relegate this to the inside pages, preferring to concentrate on the virus - OK, very important but not much is changing rapidly there, so hardly 'news' in the usual sense - or the royals - not news at all, in my world. 

The 'Metro' has the best summary.

(It's worth pointing out that the failure of Greensill has put 3000 jobs in steel company Liberty at risk, amongst other failures - so it's not 'just' bankers that'll be swelling the dole queue:

Indeed - that report and others just out within the last few hours make it clear that we are now looking at investigations into fraud and money laundering on a massive scale. We haven't heard the last of this, by a long shot.

In the meantime - royals? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:00pm
Goodness me what a slimeball. Lets hope hes in front of a real court soon. 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Goodness me what a slimeball. Lets hope hes in front of a real court soon. 

He'll have the best lawyers and public relations companies money can buy. What's the old saying - "a guilty rich man has more chance of getting away with crime than an innocent pauper"
And the judge will probably be a fellow Old Etonian who will understand how these "mistakes" can arise in the heat of the moment.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:04am
Slime ball ? He is a wealthy guy and ex PM but like all of us isn’t he entitled to contact his diary contacts asking for business opportunities?  That’s what you do in business. I certainly did albeit at my mundane level. It’s business. Where is the dishonesty ? 🤔 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:14am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The star is very high brow isn’t it😂😂 btw i find prince harry a real moaning whingebag these days

I'm with you there RR. The guy is becoming a real embarrassment. I wouldn't describe myself as a Royalist but he I have a lot of time for the Queen. For sure they are all born into lives of huge privilege but it comes with responsibility. Harry seems to be trying to convince the World that he has been hard done by because his parents were not happy. Time to grow a pair in my opinion - try putting yourself in a poor one parent family struggling to pay the rent and put food on the table.

His move to California was a clear & calculated financial play as he won't be short of paying customers who will lap up his carefully orchestrated revelations. He really needs to stop and think why he is in the position he is in - nothing to do with his personality, success or achievements - all to do with being a member of the Royal family which at every turn he attempts to ridicule. His continual whining pays a disservice to all the very genuine people suffering with mental health issues. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:10am
Spot on sir👍 He is a member of the royal family an ex officer in the british army he should conduct himself accordingly show some stoicism and some some self awarenes. Look at his situation and see how lucky he is not bemoan his privelged life style

Edited by RR1972 - 15 May 2021 at 10:11am
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:24am
I am also very fed up of Harry whining on. He is getting worse by the month and embarrassing the armed forces the Queen and his brother. The smell of wanting money is always around that couple! He should do a Fundcrowder to raise a few Bob for him and the wife 🤨😉
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:11pm
In the meantime - back in the real world most of us live in (i.e. having nothing in common with the royals or their lifestyle), another Tory placeman has been appointed to the BBC's corporate board, according to Private Eye - one of the few print publications still strong enough to hold establishment figures to account (of ANY POLITICAL PARTY - please note that). This is an edited version of their report on p18 of issue 1547:

Robbie Gibb... left (the BBC) in 2017 for a job as Theresa May's spin doctor.
He "loved" Downing Street's boycott of the Today programme...claiming that BBC journalists had been "bullying the government".
He said that "99 times out of a 100 the things you hear from ministers are truthful".
Gibb 'repeatedly told the audience how committed he was to impartiality and argued that the Daily Mail and Daily Express were more accurate than other newspapers (!!!!!!!!!)
'Apparently, papers that are politically sympathetic to the government are not in the market to misrepresent' its policies and record. (As if....)

Nice to know that yet another Tory supporter has gained an important position at the BBC, following chairman Richard Sharp (who has donated £400k to the Conservative party:
and BBC Director General Tim Davie, who stood as a councillor for the Conservative Party in Hammersmith in 1993 and 1994[9] and was deputy chairman of the Hammersmith and Fulham Conservative party in the 1990s.

How's that for balance?

PenScarlet44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PenScarlet44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:17pm
[QUOTE=aber-fan]In the meantime - back in the real world most of us live in (i.e. having nothing in common with the royals or their lifestyle), another Tory placeman has been appointed to the BBC's corporate board, according to Private Eye - one of the few print publications still strong enough to hold establishment figures to account (of ANY POLITICAL PARTY - please note that). This is an edited version of their report on p18 of issue 1547:

He "loved" Downing Street's boycott of the Today programme...claiming that BBC journalists had been "bullying the government".
He said that "99 times out of a 100 the things you hear from ministers are truthful".
Gibb 'repeatedly told the audience how committed he was to impartiality and argued that the Daily Mail and Daily Express were more accurate than other newspapers (!!!!!!!!!)
'Apparently, papers that are politically sympathetic to the government are not in the market to misrepresent' its policies and record. (As if....)

Nice to know that yet another Tory supporter has gained an important position at the BBC, following chairman Richard Sharp (who has donated £400k to the Conservative party:
and BBC Director General Tim Davie, who stood as a councillor for the Conservative Party in Hammersmith in 1993 and 1994[9] and was deputy chairman of the Hammersmith and Fulham Conservative party in the 1990s.

How's that for balance?
The BBC buys most of the left wing rag guardian , also advertise for jobs in that paper

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by PenScarlet44 PenScarlet44 wrote:

[QUOTE=aber-fan]In the meantime - back in the real world most of us live in (i.e. having nothing in common with the royals or their lifestyle), another Tory placeman has been appointed to the BBC's corporate board, according to Private Eye - one of the few print publications still strong enough to hold establishment figures to account (of ANY POLITICAL PARTY - please note that). This is an edited version of their report on p18 of issue 1547:

How's that for balance?
The BBC buys most of the left wing rag guardian , also advertise for jobs in that paper

Thank you for your well thought out and meticulously researched answer.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:47pm
It does seem a relatively small amount to donate in return for the rewards whether the PPE supply gravy train or a cushy, extremely well paid multi-year salary.

Think the Tories are selling themselves short 😉
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I am also very fed up of Harry whining on. He is getting worse by the month and embarrassing the armed forces the Queen and his brother. The smell of wanting money is always around that couple! He should do a Fundcrowder to raise a few Bob for him and the wife 🤨😉
Totally agree, its clearly all to do with charlie tightening his purse strings, this couple are a joke. Yet another over priveliged couple trying to profit from self pity. Didn't they desert UK to enjoy privacy? The only people invading their privacy is themselves. Lets hope they bore off into obscurity
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic