Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

The WRU need to take a leaft out of the FAW's approach to match day. The atmosphere last night in the Wales v Austria game was immense. No pointless music, just fans signing pasionately and the anthem was something else.

It just gets better and better .......It does help when you have ramsey and bale but still, I like the way the FAW and city stadium seem to adapt to new ideas all with a view to enhance the experience and atmosphere for fans

The final will be meltdown for atmosphere, if its the scots it will be immense with a rematch for the infamous joe jordan debacle 40 yrs ago..BUT if its with Ukraine that will be an incredible occasion for a multitude of reasons too. 
In what way have they enhanced the atmosphere and experience?
Having bands playing in the concourse pre-match, having a whole stand that is known as a standing and singing stand, having a brass band that starts chants whenever there’s a slight lull in the atmosphere. I’m sure there’s much more but those were just what I noticed on my first time in the Canton last night. The truth is the atmosphere at the football is now without a doubt a lot better than the rugby - something that would’ve been unfathomable just a decade ago. Clearly not all of the things that work in football work in rugby but to suggest that the FAW have done nothing / there’s nothing the WRU can do is clearly wrong. The truth is I enjoy watching rugby a lot more than football but if you gave me a choice of going to watch Wales play football or rugby (even for the same price) I’d choose the football all day long. That, to me, shows a damming failure on the part of the WRU. 
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 8:52pm
I literally  could think of nothing worse than being sat in a stand full of bucket hat wearing welsh football fans and the barry horns brass band. Glad we win thoughWink

Edited by RR1972 - 25 March 2022 at 8:54pm
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I literally  could think of nothing worse than being sat in a stand full of bucket hat wearing welsh football fans and the barry horns brass band. Glad we win thoughWink

Sitting in a stand surrounded by  crowds of  drunks in daffodil hats watching a load of pedestrian rubbish and paying a ton for the privilege comes close,mind....
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 9:29pm
Your not far wrong, it’s like choosing between drowning or burning!Wink
hartson11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hartson11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 11:00pm

The WRU need to take a leaft out of the FAW's approach to match day. The atmosphere last night in the Wales v Austria game was immense. No pointless music, just fans signing pasionately and the anthem was something else.

I’d rather support a team that’s actually won something thanks. You get no trophies for best singing at a game. 

Can’t please everyone I guess

Edited by hartson11 - 25 March 2022 at 11:10pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2022 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

It just gets better and better .......It does help when you have ramsey and bale but still, I like the way the FAW and city stadium seem to adapt to new ideas all with a view to enhance the experience and atmosphere for fans

The final will be meltdown for atmosphere, if its the scots it will be immense with a rematch for the infamous joe jordan debacle 40 yrs ago..BUT if its with Ukraine that will be an incredible occasion for a multitude of reasons too. 
Having bands playing in the concourse pre-match, having a whole stand that is known as a standing and singing stand, having a brass band that starts chants whenever there’s a slight lull in the atmosphere. I’m sure there’s much more but those were just what I noticed on my first time in the Canton last night. The truth is the atmosphere at the football is now without a doubt a lot better than the rugby - something that would’ve been unfathomable just a decade ago. Clearly not all of the things that work in football work in rugby but to suggest that the FAW have done nothing / there’s nothing the WRU can do is clearly wrong. The truth is I enjoy watching rugby a lot more than football but if you gave me a choice of going to watch Wales play football or rugby (even for the same price) I’d choose the football all day long. That, to me, shows a damming failure on the part of the WRU. 

Ah right I was wondering why there was so much singing, they have a band to encourage it. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2022 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Why don't you go and have a look?The tickets are reasonably priced.

They started around £40 for last week same as wales games. 
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2022 at 1:53pm

6 nations tickets were between £70 and £110 for france and scotland
sir duckling tuft
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2022 at 8:36pm
£40 to watch Bale and Ramsey in a stadium where the fans don’t stop singing and are not p…..d as farts is far more appealing to me.  I may well try and get tickets for their upcoming friendly.
Match day ticket prices for Wales football internationals have always been more affordable for fans than rugby tickets.  
My brother and I used to regularly go and watch Wales in the old Ninniam Park (even though I have been a scarlets season ticket holder for over 40 years) for the simple reason that the FAW never priced it out of the reach of the general fan and never took the welsh fans for granted.
The atmosphere on Thursday night was electric, and has been for most of the matches to be honest.
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2022 at 10:53pm
The atmosphere is way better, the fans know the words and dnt stop singing, in addition to the standard classics, land of my fathers, hymns yn arias, bread of heaven etc, to men of harlech , dont take me home to the andy williams classic I love you baby etc terrific 
sir duckling tuft
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2022 at 3:33pm

Here’s what I don’t get. The matches sell out so they can’t be overpriced. What’s the WRU gonna do? Lower prices, still sell out but be out of pocket. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2022 at 3:52pm
They didn’t sell out the France nor Italy games though.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2022 at 4:52pm

Here’s what I don’t get. The matches sell out so they can’t be overpriced. What’s the WRU gonna do? Lower prices, still sell out but be out of pocket. 
If lower ticket prices generate better atmosphere, and a better atmosphere leads to better result, then it could be argued that the WRU should decrease the prices in part of the stadium (say 7-8,000 tickets) to facilitate that. 
There’s also long-term considerations to think about. Currently a lot more young people go to the football than to the rugby because the tickets are a lot cheaper (among other reasons). That could cause a problem for the WRU in time as a whole generation won’t have developed the habit of going to Welsh rugby games. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2022 at 6:11pm
At any point in the last 3 years Wales football could have moved games to the Millenium to get more fans in and sell more tickets but they have chose not to do that they could build an atmosphere around the CCS. 

They choose creating an atmosphere over short-term profit, in the hope that creating an atmosphere and a culture around their team will pay-off in the long run.

The WRU does the opposite, as I think SA said “they can’t be underpricing tickets if they sell out every game” is exactly the WRU attitude that means the stadium is full of tourists, more often 1/4 to a third are fans of the visiting team and the atmosphere has to be piped in over a tannoy while Wales are mid-attack. 

I actually wrote to the WRU in 2015 suggesting exactly what Jones04 is saying about having at least AN area in the ground for cheaper tickets, an area where fans can stand and sing but it was “no can do” response, and less than 3 years on the FAW started cultivating that idea and the Wal Goch was as iconic as it gets last week. 

Edited by dyniol53 - 27 March 2022 at 6:12pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2022 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

They didn’t sell out the France nor Italy games though.

And they were officially delighted with that! 

But the WRU expressed "delight" at 63,000-plus fans attending.

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2022 at 6:52pm

Scotland and New Zealand sold out this year.

South Africa, Fiji, Australia, France and Italy did not.

They have effectively lost revenue-per-attendee by creating an alcohol free area within the stadium. They had to create an alcohol free area because a non-trivial % of attendees are barely interested in rugby. 

But they could have equally reserved that same area for reduced price tickets with a qualifying aspect like the red-wall in the football. E.g. Active rugby club membership, active membership of a choir, a season ticket holder at one of the regions etc. something that’s not just “how much money do you have cause that’s all we care about”…
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>
  Share Topic