Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby selling out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 10:58pm
With current prices for the whole tournament. 

Sky - £67.98 (or £9.99 per day passes)
Amazon - £11.98
BT - £50

Or half that if you pay for one month a mate pays for another and share a log in. 

Edited by SA14 - 13 January 2021 at 11:00pm
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:33pm
People always moan that Wales need more money in the game from top to bottom... Mad to think those same people complain about a much needed £50m cash injection! 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 7:17am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

People always moan that Wales need more money in the game from top to bottom... Mad to think those same people complain about a much needed £50m cash injection! 
The game, professional especially, needs this TV money. It buys time.

There will probably be a game a week on free to air so as not to cut it off from all those that can’t or won’t pay.

SA14’s idea of a share with a mate is great and the Amazon price doesn’t seem a huge figure. It compares favourably with the other two.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 7:24am
Whatever broadcaster gets it, I really hope they factor in what small clubs will be able to afford. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2021 at 5:35pm
Don't know if anyone else took out a month on premier sports but i went to cancel now and they gave me 3 months at £3-99 a month.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I just don't get it. 50 million quid coming in to Welsh rugby and people are moaning that they won't get Jiffy screeching on BBC.

I can’t tell you how hard it will be to get rugby back into public consciousness once the 6N goes behind a paywall.

Whether it’s Amazon, BT or Sky isn’t really the issue - the issue is will be that it’s not free-to-air. 

BBC and ITV literally have millions more viewers for Cash in the Attic and The Chase than Sky do for the Manchester Derby or any other big PL game (let alone BT or Amazon’s which are even smaller)

Cricket went behind a paywall a decade ago and the ECB has had to INVENT A NEW FORMAT of the game to try and get it back into public consciousness. Almost all cricket fans are against “the Hundred” and it’s a very expensive £39m bet to see if it works.

The loss of the sport in the public consciousness has long-term financial implications as well as social implications. 

With the issues around concussion atm the sport really can’t afford to become less desirable to pick up and play - for every parent that doesn’t want their kid to play rugby there’s currently a kid arguing back because he wants to be the next Itoje, Sexton, Hogg or Tipuric.

Awareness and Fame is so powerful - rugby neglects it at its own peril.

Here’s a nice like-for-like comparison of the same teams at a similar time one in a relatively trivial game in the FA cup and the other a top of the table clash in the Premier League.

Man Utd v Liverpool FA cup BBC viewers - 9.2million

Man Utd v Liverpool Premiership viewers - 4.5million

The Premier league game was the most watched Premier League game in history. The FA cup tie had twice as many viewers.

When Six nations goes behind a pay wall the administrators should be clear that they are happy to reduce their audience by half (likely more) in order for more money to “fund the unions”. 

And what is the purpose of the unions..?
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 5:17pm
Something related to this topic in this post.

Joe Rogan runs the biggest podcast in the world; moved from YouTube and Apple podcasts (free-to-air) to Spotify (subscription/freemium) and has appeared to lose ~30-50% of his listeners in the process.

That means he loses cultural capital (e.g. people chatting about it in the pub) as Spotify capture most of his gains.

I still think there’s not enough people making the obvious point to the 6N that they’ll lose half their reach if they move off free-to-air. Which means rugby will be more culturally irrelevant. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 5:41pm

Something related to this topic in this post.

Joe Rogan runs the biggest podcast in the world; moved from YouTube and Apple podcasts (free-to-air) to Spotify (subscription/freemium) and has appeared to lose ~30-50% of his listeners in the process.

That means he loses cultural capital (e.g. people chatting about it in the pub) as Spotify capture most of his gains.

I still think there’s not enough people making the obvious point to the 6N that they’ll lose half their reach if they move off free-to-air. Which means rugby will be more culturally irrelevant. 

and so will the BBC
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I still think there’s not enough people making the obvious point to the 6N that they’ll lose half their reach if they move off free-to-air. Which means rugby will be more culturally irrelevant

and so will the BBC

Given 56m people watched some BBC TV last week, commanding 30% of the total viewing time and people watching on average 65 minutes - I’m willing to bet the BBC is still has a way to go before becoming culturally irrelevant!

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 12:52pm
Similar pattern in the cricket viewing figures this week.

More than a million people watched the first day of the first Test match on terrestrial television since the 2005 Ashes.

Telegraph Sport has been told Channel 4’s coverage of India v England on Friday attracted a peak audience of 1.1 million.

The peak occurred at around 11.15am, shortly after Joe Root completed a century on his 100th Test appearance, and represented an 18.4 per cent audience share.

The figure was more than double that for Sky Sports’ coverage of the opening day of last month’s Sri Lanka-England series, as was the average audience of 431,000.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:33pm
Cricket isn’t as popular as rugby. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:58pm
That’s hardly surprising given the majority of the country are working from home. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 7:27pm
I agree with both points.

But my point is that by going behind a paywall it's clear you're losing half your audience. (Cricket having come out of the paywall for this India series has seen viewers double vs that of the Sri Lanka series only weeks ago, when everyone was working from home too)

If at any point unions / administrators say 'we need the money to grow the game' it's obviously untrue, because the easiest way to grow the game is to get it in front of more eyeballs. 

--

I just googled to see what was bigger rugby or cricket.

The England 2003 world cup final vs the Ashes 2005 viewing stats, both on free-to-air. 

RWC Final 2003 had 15million views at peak
Ashes 2005 had 8.3million views at peak

As was the 2019 Cricket World cup and 2019 RWC final. 

RWC Final 2019 had 12.8 million views at peak
CWC Final 2019 had 9 million viewers at peak

Rugby being bigger means it has more to lose by putting it's premier competition behind a paywall!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 9:53pm

But my point is that by going behind a paywall it's clear you're losing half your audience. (Cricket having come out of the paywall for this India series has seen viewers double vs that of the Sri Lanka series only weeks ago, when everyone was working from home too)

If at any point unions / administrators say 'we need the money to grow the game' it's obviously untrue, because the easiest way to grow the game is to get it in front of more eyeballs. 

--

The England 2003 world cup final vs the Ashes 2005 viewing stats, both on free-to-air. 

Rugby being bigger means it has more to lose by putting it's premier competition behind a paywall!

I disagree. I’d love to know the cricket audience age demographic. You don’t hear in work or in pubs (when they were open) people enthusiastically talking about cricket. It’s always football or rugby. Whoever does get it, it’ll be two months. So two payments. It’s not as if it’s taking out a 24 month subscription. 
Rob Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 10:18pm

--

It’s difficult to make direct comparisons. 
Both the 2003 and 2019 RWC Finals were on Saturday mornings in November and were obviously concentrated into 1.5 hours (2019) and 2 hours (2019) of viewing
The 2005 Ashes series was spread over 5 days, 6 hours per day, for each test and in the summer months. The CWC Final 2019 clashed with the Men’s singles final at Wimbledon.
I totally agree with your comments about putting both rugby and cricket behind pay walls, but unfortunately sport now seems to be run to coincide with the interest of the TV companies rather than the fans. 

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2021 at 12:30am
Hard to compare cricket with rugby, cricket is  a long drawn out affair , its seasonal and often gets rained off in the UK. Theres no doubt glamorgans crowds seem to have disappeared since cricket left terrrestrial tv...From those 1 off massive games youve listed, maybe rugby had the edge but as a poster says cricket is on for far more hours and the worldwide audience is much bigger...Its just a Shame sophia gardens hasnt got a roof really 

Looking worldwide obviously cricket is more popular in massively populated counttries like India, pakistan, sri lanka, bangladesh, west indies, zimbabwe, holland, namibia, kenya maybe aussie too. s africa its a split decision...worldwide theres a lot more playing cricket than rugby though probably due to rugby being so physical..and a mindboggling 2.6 billion watched world cup 2019..Ive always been perplexed as to why the chinese dont seem to indulge in either sport? 

Edited by roy munster - 07 February 2021 at 12:50am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic