Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby selling out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by PenScarlet44 PenScarlet44 wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

What’s he gonna do, pull Wales out of the six nations if it isn’t on S4C? He can fight for it but there’s not much else he can do. Early signs are that it’s going to Amazon. £11.98 to watch the six nations? Bargain. 

Not compared to £0.00 though - maybe have a word with your accountant!
Don't you pay your TV licence?

Yes - for which I get rather a lot more than just a few games of rugby. Perhaps you didn't spot that?

My point was that if it was going behind a pay wall then Amazon is the cheapest

Fair enough.

You are confident, then, that if it were to happen, the pricing would stay the same? I wish I had inside knowledge of Jeff Bezos's mind, too... how did he get to be the world's richest man, I wonder?

You think it’s gonna double because they’re showing a few rugby games? Even if it did double it’s still a cheaper option than sky or BT.
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 3:14pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56530409

wru boss says free to air s4c coverage of the 6 nations must continue and is non negotiable

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

<span style="font-size: 12px;">https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56530409</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;">wru boss says free to air s4c coverage of the 6 nations must continue and is non negotiable</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;">
</span>

He's going to be popular with the other nations' rugby chiefs if the sole reason a multi million pound TV deal is scuppered is because he wants the games on S4C.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 11:23am
Sky have pulled out of the race to host the Pro16. They were favourites to win the rights but it looks like it will continue to be hosted by Premier Sports, with more games being on BBC & S4C. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Sky have pulled out of the race to host the Pro16. They were favourites to win the rights but it looks like it will continue to be hosted by Premier Sports, with more games being on BBC & S4C. 
Tell me you’re joking.....

Please

They’ll have bid not a lot, you’d imagine.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 28 March 2021 at 11:51am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 11:54am
I’m devastated. Premier sports are handed down the worse sports broadcasters I’ve ever seen. 

I’m off to phone sky to offer to chip in....
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2021 at 4:25pm
Just been doing a bit more reading about the European Super League debacle last week. 

The Real Madrid CEO seems to think that because kids play Fortnite and Minecraft they’re not interested in football and so something has to be done to appeal to that “new demographic” (my summary but his point is pretty delusional).

Their idea, however, is that, with the right tweaks they can make soccer more palatable to young people whose brains have been shaped by TikTok. But if Perez and Agnelli, two singularly myopic figures in an astonishingly myopic class, were capable of looking outside their gilded prison, they would realize that soccer is hardly unique in facing these problems. 

Every major American sport is dealing with a similar “crisis.” On Friday, for instance, the NBA announced that it would broadcast one Marvel-themed game that would “integrate elements from an original Marvel story and iconic characters,” whatever that means. The NFL has started broadcasting games on Nickelodeon. Both leagues are reckoning with the realization that the meteoric, global growth they have experienced is grinding to a halt—there are no worlds left to conquer.” link 

One aspect that hasn’t really been mentioned is that back when the UEFA champions league was broadcast by ITV the viewing figures were double, sometimes, triple what they are now on BT.

A few years ago they said UCL viewing figures had dropped 35% since going to BT Sport, which led to the talks that led to the ESL https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10551237/champions-league-tv-viewership-european/

It just makes me laugh that these administrators who think taking the cash and putting it behind a paywall will solve their problems.

As I said in above posts, the ECB decided to go behind a paywall and 10 years later have to create a new format to get eyes on telly and bums on seats again.

Same with UEFA who thought taking the money from BT wouldn’t damage their product...
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 2:55pm
Debut of the Hundred last night, which as I stated above, is the ECBs £40m solution to the problems they created by taking cricket off free-to-air.

But overwhelmingly seen as a success with record gates and viewership numbers for a women’s game. 

1.6million peak for the TV on BBC.

That compares to a 1.7million peak for England v Pakistan men’s on Sky. 

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Debut of the Hundred last night, which as I stated above, is the ECBs £40m solution to the problems they created by taking cricket off free-to-air.

But overwhelmingly seen as a success with record gates and viewership numbers for a women’s game. 

1.6million peak for the TV on BBC.

That compares to a 1.7million peak for England v Pakistan men’s on Sky. 

We've got tickets for one of the matches in Cardiff, never been before but it was £40 for a family of 4.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 3:03pm
On a slightly different note I saw Amazon Prime is subscribed to by 55% of U.K. households. 

That means their market penetration is significantly higher than both BT and Sky. Therefore when bidding for sports events they can say there’s the possibility they reach more households. The only issue is I’m not sure their viewing figures would be higher because a decent % of people don’t know that prime tv exists with their prime subscription.

Prime would certainly be better than Premier Sports…
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 3:18pm
I whince when premier sports is mentioned. Easily the worst broadcaster I’ve ever watched. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 3:19pm
next thing to chance in our championship is the broadcast...Should be good if all go on internet, maybe in a web tv dedicated..
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 3:16pm
Amazon Prime will show 17 out of the 20 Autumn International tests in the NH this Autumn. It means no Autumn tests on BBC or ITV with talks ongoing with S4C. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Amazon Prime will show 17 out of the 20 Autumn International tests in the NH this Autumn. It means no Autumn tests on BBC or ITV with talks ongoing with S4C. 

Ymlaen S4C
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 6:24pm
£12 is a bargain. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 7:17pm
£7.99 per month
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic