Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rainbow Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainbow Cup
    Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:08pm
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:24pm
Hope the extra cash doesn’t get snaffled away from the regions.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 23 December 2020 at 1:25pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:25pm
I don't like to moan but it's a shame there are no quarter-finals or semi-finals in either tournament. It means there will be a lot of dead rubber games in the Rainbow Cup. Could have done it with four regional conferences I suppose.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:30pm
It can't be me who thinks this is just idiotic timing? Currently in the midst of the worst point of the pandemic, and come April it is likely to still be out of control. So now we are adding more nations from around the world to travel back and forth too? This just shows how desperate rugby is for money because there is no way that tournament goes smoothly without games getting cancelled.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:16pm
I quite like the sound of it to be honest, this season has/will continue to be a mess so hopefully come April it'll feel like a fresh start and a good build up to the Lions.
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:20pm
Crock of poo.
What's going on?
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:30pm
the timing of play is not so comfort but will be only for this year. From the next SA 's team will be a presence...this is the sign that SA would move to Europe and leave Oceania..
the next step for them ll be 6N's for Italy...for italian 6N ve been a nice experience, economical specially...we had much more money then other tier 2 teams but our level seems dont increase, either the gap with the big is bigger...
Will be good play against bokkies team for our visibility, TV bonus income and hard test for every clubs.
South Africa is a giant in terms of development players, for quality and numbers...
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:38pm
Under the current circumstances, this is a perfectly understandable solution to a number of issues.
  • PRO14 season needs to be wrapped up as soon as practicably possible, so a max of 16 rounds with all derbies played followed by a simple Conference Leaders' Final ticks that box*
  • Imperative to introduce 4 new SA franchises in competitive games ahead of the B&I Lions tour** gives their players (and many of ours) a meaningful work-out for Test selection
  • With our without crowds, these Rainbow Cup games will be of interest to rugby fans globally in a Lions tour** year, so maximising TV & sponsorship revenue in a decimated season
  • Lays the foundation for next season's full PROXX league which will involve a huge number of Springboks and Lions players - it puts the league on a global platform (wouldn't be surprised if the league was renamed the Guinness Rainbow League, or certainly drop the 12/14/16 tag to avoid confusion over the embarrassment of not have the 'right' number of teams Embarrassed)
  • Teams will have to compete to gain their places in the Champions Cup - the SA clubs will also want to be included in this tournament before long, so strong showings in the inaugural Rainbow Cup will help make their case
There are some huge BUTs in this, of course...
  • 3 weekends available for catching up rescheduled matches during 6 Nations window - 31/1, 6/2 or 13/2 - our tie at home to Leinster will now have to be played at this time, together with any other postponements...
  • *still likely to be a number of cancelled fixtures as Covid 2.0 catches on - we may see results decided by PRO14 panels, as per ECPR fixtures, far from ideal, but not much choice
  • **I don't think I'm alone in believing that the Lions tour won't happen - SA won't realistically start their vaccination programme until the second have of 2021, so safe travel is very unlikely to be possible - I know that an awful lot of prospective Lions tourists & fans won't want to think about this prospect right now, but it's going to take a near miracle for it to take place...
  • ...and the same problem for Rainbow Cup games which will require players to travel to & from SA before mass-vaccination is possible
So it's fraught with pitfalls - I understand anyone who sees this PROXX expansion into SA as a big step in the wrong direction, but anything that improves our financial security and enables us to promote ourselves on a more global stage has to be the right thing to do. It's about staying in the game and leveraging our position when a potential Welsh-Anglo or B&I or even World Clubs tournament becomes tangible.

Edited by NobbySosban - 23 December 2020 at 2:40pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Under the current circumstances, this is a perfectly understandable solution to a number of issues.
  • PRO14 season needs to be wrapped up as soon as practicably possible, so a max of 16 rounds with all derbies played followed by a simple Conference Leaders' Final ticks that box*
  • Imperative to introduce 4 new SA franchises in competitive games ahead of the B&I Lions tour** gives their players (and many of ours) a meaningful work-out for Test selection
  • With our without crowds, these Rainbow Cup games will be of interest to rugby fans globally in a Lions tour** year, so maximising TV & sponsorship revenue in a decimated season
  • Lays the foundation for next season's full PROXX league which will involve a huge number of Springboks and Lions players - it puts the league on a global platform (wouldn't be surprised if the league was renamed the Guinness Rainbow League, or certainly drop the 12/14/16 tag to avoid confusion over the embarrassment of not have the 'right' number of teams Embarrassed)
  • Teams will have to compete to gain their places in the Champions Cup - the SA clubs will also want to be included in this tournament before long, so strong showings in the inaugural Rainbow Cup will help make their case
There are some huge BUTs in this, of course...
  • 3 weekends available for catching up rescheduled matches during 6 Nations window - 31/1, 6/2 or 13/2 - our tie at home to Leinster will now have to be played at this time, together with any other postponements...
  • *still likely to be a number of cancelled fixtures as Covid 2.0 catches on - we may see results decided by PRO14 panels, as per ECPR fixtures, far from ideal, but not much choice
  • **I don't think I'm alone in believing that the Lions tour won't happen - SA won't realistically start their vaccination programme until the second have of 2021, so safe travel is very unlikely to be possible - I know that an awful lot of prospective Lions tourists & fans won't want to think about this prospect right now, but it's going to take a near miracle for it to take place...
  • ...and the same problem for Rainbow Cup games which will require players to travel to & from SA before mass-vaccination is possible
So it's fraught with pitfalls - I understand anyone who sees this PROXX expansion into SA as a big step in the wrong direction, but anything that improves our financial security and enables us to promote ourselves on a more global stage has to be the right thing to do. It's about staying in the game and leveraging our position when a potential Welsh-Anglo or B&I or even World Clubs tournament becomes tangible.

Excellent post Nobby. Clap
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:30pm
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-confirms-two-cases-of-another-new-variant-linked-to-south-africa-12171410?fbclid=IwAR1NuZoihfvWFngkXrRQS8eqPzwrE3uYxIVoHmPEBraxJvjeHGT20vXJUQY

What timing Unhappy
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:38pm
Thats pretty much what I think as well. In the longer term though, a pro 16 with the top Saffer sides will have to mean a coordinated international season. Mr Ian's suggestion of SA joining the 6 mations in the placce of Italy would mean foregoing the SA/NZ  rivalry which they consider to be the biggest in the sport. If we had to take on the top Saffer sides without our internationals, we would get thumped. 
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:46pm
By the way I think joining forces with the South Africans is a great idea. Regardless of how any of us feel about the pro14 and the way that it's run, the English aren't interested in partnering with us so we have to work with what we've got. The addition of the 4 SA teams will surely add better competition to the league, not to mention the financial benefits. I do wonder about the future of the Italian teams in the league, are they adding anything?
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 4:21pm
Doubt it will happen due to the covid variance discovered in S Africa.
Will our new prop cause our squad to have to isolate for ten days or did he arrive more than two weeks ago?
Keep the faith
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 4:36pm
The wrong time to be doing this. Plan it for 2022 unless they have already brokered some tv money. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 5:44pm
Like. Bit selfish as I can get to the SA grounds in a few hours see.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

The wrong time to be doing this. Plan it for 2022 unless they have already brokered some tv money. 
They need the money 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic