Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest ever scarlets try?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest ever scarlets try?
    Posted: 23 April 2020 at 7:31pm
I know from memory there were some spectacular ones

Watching the history of scarlets theres one epic try against south africa in the 60s, 
that seems to go through 15 pairs of hands twice and finished off by alun richards 
in the right corner pwll end https://youtu.be/c4NkiLu_kwg?t=1374- 23 minutes in

Theres also majestic barry john try where he seems to ghost past a dozen australians in great victory in the 60s

We know ian the spaceman jones cup final spectacular but what other forgotten gems are there?

Can we post out favourite tries with links to video clips of the try please?

Edited by minded - 23 April 2020 at 11:20pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Watching the history of scarlets theres one epic try against south africa in the 60s, 
that seems to go through 15 pairs of hands twice and finished off by alun richards 
in the right corner pwll end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4NkiLu_kwg - 23 minutes in

Theres also majestic barry john try where he seems to ghost past a dozen australians in great victory in the 60s

We know ian the spaceman jones cup final spectacular but what other forgotten gems are there?

Great video Roy!
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 8:16pm
To me its Ieuans try in the cup final agsinst swansea when he coasted around the tabloids fastest man in welsh rugby, simon davies.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 8:22pm
Barry davies vs northampton rhys p vs perpignan proctor vs jacks cup semi jiffy vs jacks at st helens shingler intercept  vs castres
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 8:41pm
It was the town end - Alan Richards try was immense and for that alone was worthy of a win 
Ian Jones try in 91 cup final was from another planet literally!!
Peter Hopkins try v Maoris in 82
Alun Hopkins try v Fiji 85 - after being 25-0 down 
All the tries v bath European cup in 2018. 
So many others to relish and revere. Just hope bbc wales put these matches on again 
Bj try v wallabies in 67 was also brilliant 
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 8:43pm
Barry at Northampton right up there. So is Tadgh  at Bath. Garan at Swansea. Leigh at Toulon.  Sanjay at Brive. Several ‘nearlies’ including Stoddart at Leicester.  
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 10:45pm
Best ever individual effort has to be Spaceman against Pontypool in the 91 cup final, as for the best ever team try it very difficult, we’ve been spoilt for choice over the years with a lot of the great tries coming against european opposition (perhaps it’s because the games are often more open affairs.
Priestland against Perpignan, Nathan Thomas against Toulouse with the last play of the game, Tadgh against Bath to name but a few, although a special mention has to go to the Steff Evans try in the Pro 12 final with the “to me, to you, to me” act up the touchline with Foxy, just mesmerising.
I must say, we are blessed down west to have a side with a tradition of playing open and expansive rugby because otherwise we wouldn’t be able to have such a debate on this website, long may the tradition continue.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

in the right corner pwll end https://youtu.be/c4NkiLu_kwg?t=1374- 23 minutes in

Amended your links so they are timestamped at right locations when clicked
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 11:47pm
cheers mindedThumbs Up
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Best ever individual effort has to be Spaceman against Pontypool in the 91 cup final, as for the best ever team try it very difficult, we’ve been spoilt for choice over the years with a lot of the great tries coming against european opposition (perhaps it’s because the games are often more open affairs.
Priestland against Perpignan, Nathan Thomas against Toulouse with the last play of the game, Tadgh against Bath to name but a few, although a special mention has to go to the Steff Evans try in the Pro 12 final with the “to me, to you, to me” act up the touchline with Foxy, just mesmerising.
I must say, we are blessed down west to have a side with a tradition of playing open and expansive rugby because otherwise we wouldn’t be able to have such a debate on this website, long may the tradition continue.

Absolutely we are totally spoilt rotten with our rich heritage of running rugbyTongue
A mate of mine debated with me recently, the top 5 welsh fly halves of all time 
The 3 names fighting it out for top spot were all made in turkland BJ, Benny, Jiffy. 3 Magicians.
Dont ask me who we voted first, because we change our minds every time lol LOLLOL

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 6:23am
I remember one on a Wednesday night by a flanker from Carmarthen steve jones I think,the play started by our line with him racing in on a diagonal run to the town end corner,late 70's early 80's.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 8:29am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I remember one on a Wednesday night by a flanker from Carmarthen steve jones I think,the play started by our line with him racing in on a diagonal run to the town end corner,late 70's early 80's.

Do you mean Steve Thomas? A dynamic openside, remember he give  JPR the runaround in a  midweek game at Stradey against Bridgend.

Later moved to play for Aberavon. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 9:26am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Do you mean Steve Thomas? A dynamic openside, remember he give  JPR the runaround in a  midweek game at Stradey against Bridgend.

Later moved to play for Aberavon. 
that's the one mark I think he was a bouncer in Carmarthen,not sure if he was in that horrible crash on nantycaws that killed a few quins players on the way home from a game.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 9:31am
Steve wasn’t in that nantycaws crash - that was in late 1977 . A car full were killed . Steve was an outstanding prospect but went to aberavon in 1979 and played there for several seasons before coming back to Carmarthen athletic . 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Steve wasn’t in that nantycaws crash - that was in late 1977 . A car full were killed . Steve was an outstanding prospect but went to aberavon in 1979 and played there for several seasons before coming back to Carmarthen athletic . 
cheers, great player.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 9:44am
Shout to the front 5  lads madden vs ebbw vale in the cup final is a personal fave of mine and the eddie james try vs newbridge on the semi when he chipped and collected

Edited by RR1972 - 24 April 2020 at 9:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic