Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will we see players and coaches furlowed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will we see players and coaches furlowed
    Posted: 18 April 2020 at 10:46pm
Big rumors all regional players and coaches to be furlowed in the next week. What’s the verdict folks?

Edited by RR1972 - 18 April 2020 at 10:46pm
Sponsored Links

Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 9:27am
Makes sense to me; surprised they haven't been furloughed already as they are not able to work and bring in money for their employers.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 20 April 2020 at 9:28am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 9:37am
Under furlow your not supposed to work at all or use any business equipment such as work laptops , mobiles,  emails etc

I've commented on the best 23 thread about this, but it doesn't sit right with me that regions are furlowing staff and still continuing to sign players on big money contracts
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 10:51am
As far as furloughed employees not being able to work is concerned, where do you draw the line.  Eating is part of a pro rugby players work yet we can all agree they must still eat.  Furloughed employees can also undertake training provided they don’t earn revenue for their employees. The way I see it, as long as they are not playing a game, they can be furloughed without any real problem. It’s all about applying common sense to the rules in an unusual situation.  

As for signing new players; I don’t think a new employee can be furloughed and besides, they won’t be able to join the region until lockdown and hence furloughing is over; so a non-problem really.

surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 11:02am
Send the players to Pembs, they can pick all the spuds where the mitching school kids always used  find 'employment'!!
Joshua24:15
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 11:09am
Staff should be considered first and foremost. By that i mean the shop, marketing, finance people then the academy guys on low money. Players will have to suck it up and live like the rest of us for a while. 
Thats my view anyhow. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Staff should be considered first and foremost. By that i mean the shop, marketing, finance people then the academy guys on low money. Players will have to suck it up and live like the rest of us for a while. 
Thats my view anyhow. 

100% agree
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 11:26am
Players aren't immunized any more than anyone else from these impacts.

25% cuts for earners above 25k already in place, I'm not sure how they got to that number, probably should have been more.

Pretty ordinary commentary tbh.

Edited by Wil Chips - 20 April 2020 at 11:51am
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Thats my view anyhow. 

100% agree
Not sure I understand the sentiments here. Have we moved on from a debate on whether the regions should be allowed to take advantage of the governments emergency package and furlough players in order to ease the burden on the business, to some sort of 'us and them' debate about how much hardship players should endure?  I'm lost.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 11:57am
Wales online have published that halfpenny has re signed for us.  Outstanding!!  At last some real good news 
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

25% cuts for earners above 25k already in place, I'm not sure how they got to that number, probably should have been more.

Is that right Wil.  Also, I hadn't factored the £2,500 per month limit (mentioned on the other thread) into my thinking, which would be disastrous for high earners with short term but high mortgages to pay.  I think Patch mentioned this on another interview I saw.

The 25% cut suggests to me however that the regions won't be furloughing players if they are putting this measure in place. 

Edit: I had originally assumed that the region would pay the full wage and Government would contribute £2,500 per month.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 20 April 2020 at 12:23pm
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Thats my view anyhow. 

100% agree
Not sure I understand the sentiments here. Have we moved on from a debate on whether the regions should be allowed to take advantage of the governments emergency package and furlough players in order to ease the burden on the business, to some sort of 'us and them' debate about how much hardship players should endure?  I'm lost.
If the Scarlets keep the players on big money and furloughed or even let go all the behind the scenes staff would you feel that was justified. I’m saying that it wouldn’t be fair is all. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm sorry but at the top end of the game  they are , the test players who have been earning over 6 figures for a long period of time should have more than enough wealth behind them to see them through this period

25% pay cut for a few months  when your earning a 6 figure salary is a lot easier to handle than say someone earning 18 k a year who has to take a similar size % drop

I know that not all our players are on that sort of salary and this is not aimed at them and it's not a criticism of the players just of the whole situation

Edited by RR1972 - 20 April 2020 at 12:18pm
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 12:20pm

Thats my view anyhow. 

100% agree
If the Scarlets keep the players on big money and furloughed or even let go all the behind the scenes staff would you feel that was justified. I’m saying that it wouldn’t be fair is all. 
What is your understanding of being furloughed?  Mine is that the business pays the staff's wages whilst they are unable to work and the government will pay back to the region, 80% of that wage up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.  I will ask you where is the unfairness in that?

I had originally thought at the start of the thread that the region would pay the full wages of players and furloughing would mean the government pay 80%. Actually, as Wil has pointed out, the players are having their wages cut by 25%, which makes them pretty big losers compared to the staff, who presumably will be on their full pay still.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 20 April 2020 at 12:21pm
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 12:31pm
25% pay cut when your still on over 100k and in some cases 200k a year isn’t that bad. Players should be able to live with that. Furlough could mean a 20% pay cut for staff, its really up to the Scarlets they will only recieve 80% of the ‘normal wage’ up to that £2500 cap for each furloughed employee. 

The staff could be paid 80%. If your working in the Scarlets shop on close to the minimum wage or your the club sous chef etc thats going to hurt. 

Edited by EJPT - 20 April 2020 at 12:32pm
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 12:35pm

Thats my view anyhow. 

100% agree
What is your understanding of being furloughed?  Mine is that the business pays the staff's wages whilst they are unable to work and the government will pay back to the region, 80% of that wage up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.  I will ask you where is the unfairness in that?

I had originally thought at the start of the thread that the region would pay the full wages of players and furloughing would mean the government pay 80%. Actually, as Wil has pointed out, the players are having their wages cut by 25%, which makes them pretty big losers compared to the staff, who presumably will be on their full pay still.

Employees can do second jobs if it doesn’t conflict with the core employment contract though ( if they can find work - some employees will I suspect)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic