Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet folk hero XV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Crazy Legs
Laurence Delaney
Mark Perego
Rupert Moon
Andy Hill
Johnny Griff

Theyd all be in my folk hero team

Delaney alongside john davies you wont find 2 bigger folk heroes than that

Perego. After the axe wielding , waterfull leaping sea golfing, hugs not drugs campaign, he was named oddball...It was said he was so fit that straight after a match hed go for a 5 mile run. Biggets tackler weve ever produced.

Moon well what can one say, gave everything heart and soul won everything and scored a bucketload of tries too..I think it was 80 odd.I saw his last match when he replaced the replacement for the scrum half standing ovationClap

Andy hill imo the biggest most forgotten scarlet legend of them all, scored an insane 300+ tries mosre points than anyone, including stephen jones and benny if you index link his points, yet ive never even seen him interviewed bar 10 second clip on llanelli rfc history

johnny griff. an immense scrum half. Pretty much won us the 85 cup final was also immense in 88 and 89 cup finals and part of the best scarlets team i ever saw in 1988. he was an immense attacking threat and a wonderful tackler. league bought him out with jiffy and they got his best years. delighted to see him return for ieuans testimonial and make a great tackle on the awesome jonah lomuBig smile

Edited by roy munster - 26 April 2020 at 4:10pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 6:13pm
Over the years we've had a few crowd favourites. They don't necessarily have to be the best players. I  always had a soft spot for Dai Fox and Simon Davies
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Over the years we've had a few crowd favourites. They don't necessarily have to be the best players. I  always had a soft spot for Dai Fox and Simon Davies

Great players. Tell you what huw williams the full back in scarlet fever triple season is another unsung hero, he barely put a foot wrong all season.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 7:43pm
Huw Williams was so under rated.  He was excellent v Australia in 92 but rarely gets a mention.  He went back to gorseinon I believe and played a few games for aberavon 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Huw Williams was so under rated.  He was excellent v Australia in 92 but rarely gets a mention.  He went back to gorseinon I believe and played a few games for aberavon 

I thought he went back to Morriston from whence he came ? 

I believe that Vernon Richards and Gareth Jenkins had a chance meeting and GJ mentioned that he was looking for an OH. Vernon then sent Huw down for a trial, and it grew form there.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Crazy Legs
Laurence Delaney
Mark Perego
Rupert Moon
Andy Hill
Johnny Griff

Theyd all be in my folk hero team

Delaney alongside john davies you wont find 2 bigger folk heroes than that

Perego. After the axe wielding , waterfull leaping sea golfing, hugs not drugs campaign, he was named oddball...It was said he was so fit that straight after a match hed go for a 5 mile run. Biggets tackler weve ever produced.

Moon well what can one say, gave everything heart and soul won everything and scored a bucketload of tries too..I think it was 80 odd.I saw his last match when he replaced the replacement for the scrum half standing ovationClap

Andy hill imo the biggest most forgotten scarlet legend of them all, scored an insane 300+ tries mosre points than anyone, including stephen jones and benny if you index link his points, yet ive never even seen him interviewed bar 10 second clip on llanelli rfc history

johnny griff. an immense scrum half. Pretty much won us the 85 cup final was also immense in 88 and 89 cup finals and part of the best scarlets team i ever saw in 1988. he was an immense attacking threat and a wonderful tackler. league bought him out with jiffy and they got his best years. delighted to see him return for ieuans testimonial and make a great tackle on the awesome jonah lomuBig smile

As a young kid growing up in Llanelli in the 70s and heading down to my beloved Stradey my 3 favourite players in order were Phil Bennett, Andy Hill and Selwyn Williams.

My favourite team would be something like this:
15 Liam Williams
14 Salesi Finau
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Ray Gravell
11 Andy Hill
10 Phil Bennett
9 Johnny Griffiths
8 Scott Quinnell
7 James Davies
6 Dafydd Jones
5 Tadgh Beirne
4 Chris Wyatt
3 John Davies
2 Andrew Lamerton
1 Martyn Madden

And I was at the Ieuan Evans testimonial too.
Scarlets before Wales
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 9:15pm
Could well have been Morriston. I wasn’t 100% sure but I knew it was just over the border in jackland 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:38pm
Prego and Spaceman...have to be there 
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Prego and Spaceman...have to be there 

smellymike should be in there underrated hero of this forum!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 4:28pm
I ONLY SELECT FROM 1970 Onwards Im certain theres a load of folkk heroes like rh williams , albert jenkins, terry price and many more before that 

15,Sanjay ANDY HILL
  14,Daf James.
  13,Foxy
  12,Grav
  11,Finau SANJAY
  10,Benny 
  9,Rupert 
  1,Maddern JOHN DAVIES
  2,Ken - SHUNTER
  3,Samson - DELANEY
  4,Dai Hodges PHIL MAY
  5,(The riot),Chris Wyatt - DELME
  6,Tom(the bomb)David- HODGES
  8,Uzair 
  7,(Boomer) Gary Jones - PEREGO

Edited by roy munster - 20 May 2020 at 12:26pm
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:12am
Liam
J.J.
Grav
John
IeuiS
Grav
Benny
Peel

Give Blood, Play Rugby
Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:47pm
No 8 - has to be Scott Quinnell for me at all times
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:25am
Surely Scotty Q at number 8, not Uzair.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:32am
You can't get much smaller than Five Roads, birth place of the Quinnel dunasty.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:48am

So many Folk heroes! The mighty Q and Cassiem should both be in back row.
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:21am
You want a folk hero? Look no further Mr Paul Ringer.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic