Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet folk hero XV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 10:30am
depends what era you were brought up in ... fortunately for me I was a kid watching the late 60s and then the 70s teams so happy that Delme and Andy Hill were mentioned but we could add Selwyn Williams and  2 hookers ...Roy shanto Thomas  and Norman Gale 
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 2:56pm
Phil May 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 11:50am
Whatever happened to Ian 'Spaceman' Jones?
For a couple of years he was like Serge Blanco 2.0. Amazing attacking fullback with incredible flair.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 12:18pm
Sadly he was hit by injuries and appeared to lose interest . He went to Cardiff and then neath. He went off the playing radar - a tremendous shame as he was - we all know so immensely talented. Wing or full back he was outstanding. To us older fans - when we look at uncapped three quarters , Andy hill and Ian Jones stand out by a mile 
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 12:38pm
I've seen him in the Parc in a game Mike. If my memory serves me right he left his boots behind for one of the cup finals and someone had to drive up with his boots to Cardiff. Ian was a piano player too.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 12:57pm
lol 😂. It wouldn’t surprise me - he was one hell of a player bearing in mind that when he scored that wonder try in the 91 cup final , he was only 19/20 yrs of age. In the treble season , his turn of pace was something else - probably the quickest off the mark since Gareth Edwards 
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

lol 😂. It wouldn’t surprise me - he was one hell of a player bearing in mind that when he scored that wonder try in the 91 cup final , he was only 19/20 yrs of age. In the treble season , his turn of pace was something else - probably the quickest off the mark since Gareth Edwards 

Spaceman is a good friend of my buddy. Last I heard he was a teacher in the Abergavenny area, where he is from.
Scarlets before Wales

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 1:19pm
Thanks for the update - nice to hear that he’s doing well. An extremely gifted and exciting player 👍👍
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Spaceman is a good friend of my buddy. Last I heard he was a teacher in the Abergavenny area, where he is from.
Llandeilo I believe
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 1:33pm

Sadly he was hit by injuries and appeared to lose interest . He went to Cardiff and then neath. He went off the playing radar - a tremendous shame as he was - we all know so immensely talented. Wing or full back he was outstanding. To us older fans - when we look at uncapped three quarters , Andy hill and Ian Jones stand out by a mile 
didn't he get picked for wales summer tour after ponty cup final?
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 1:36pm
I played agsinst him once whilst he played for Llandeilo 2nds. Thats going back a good few years. Still was quick even though he put a few pounds on.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 2:14pm
Yes he did but got injured
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Llandeilo I believe

I know he went to comprehensive school in Abergavenny, because he is my mate's school friend. I was watching him message back and fore on facebook with my pal about 7-8 years ago. I'll ask him for the latest.
Scarlets before Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I've seen him in the Parc in a game Mike. If my memory serves me right he left his boots behind for one of the cup finals and someone had to drive up with his boots to Cardiff. Ian was a piano player too.

Ah yes. Didnt he do a segment on Scrum V playing a grand piano outdoors wearing tails?
Scarlets before Wales
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Ah yes. Didnt he do a segment on Scrum V playing a grand piano outdoors wearing tails?

Yes, I remember that piece too, a classical piece if a remember.
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 8:50am
What about Ieuan Evans, J.J. Williams,  Roy Bergiers and Paul Ringer.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic