Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 305>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 8:11am
BBC News reporting that there's a new flu like virus circulating in China that has the potential to become a Pandemic - and the hits just keep on comingConfused
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

BBC News reporting that there's a new flu like virus circulating in China that has the potential to become a Pandemic - and the hits just keep on comingConfused

Great. It's circulating in pigs as well so yet more livestock questions emerge. Think we may all be vegan pretty soon. I'll bet people in the States would kick off at that!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 8:44am
Malthus was right, or so it seems? 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 8:57am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Not heard of him before so reading on Wikipedia. He didn't seem to predict birth control and that birth rates would drop with increased income, roughly speaking. The human population appears to be stabilising, albeit it at a very high number. As to whether it's sustainable or not... that's another question. He also didn't incorporate technological or scientific advances. I'm sure we'll see farms in space soon and Elon Musk is on it, maybe literally.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:10am
I feel the need to post positive CV news:

Death rate 'back to normal' in UK

Not saying it's over, of course, and the toll of 65,000 excess deaths has been horrific but it's something. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Not heard of him before so reading on Wikipedia. He didn't seem to predict birth control and that birth rates would drop with increased income, roughly speaking. The human population appears to be stabilising, albeit it at a very high number. As to whether it's sustainable or not... that's another question. He also didn't incorporate technological or scientific advances. I'm sure we'll see farms in space soon and Elon Musk is on it, maybe literally.

Malthus wrote his papers in 1798, so could not have predicted technological advances that have taken place since. He did predict that population growth could outstrip food supply, and this has been seen in some regions e.g. the Sahel in Africa. Population grows exponentially 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. Food supply however grows arithmetically 1, 2, 3, 4. Again, he could not have foreseen the technological advances in agriculture. 

However he did also say that the lack of food could lead to famine and pestilence. Was the initial outbreak as a result of the way food was 'handled' ? It seems that may be the case, possibly corners were cut in order to meet the demand for food in a country which has a population of 1.3 billion.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:18pm
I know it's FailOnline, but worth a read.

Apparently, England and the Governments are being a little economical with the truth when it comes to reporting positive cases.  Shock, horror...

Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 8:16pm
This is worth a watch...llanellis tonia antoniazzi now gower MP brought to parliamentary debate the dangers of 5G , the total lack of all testing and the known effect on some animals is also interesting. This may or may not be related to the weakening of the immune system, but this debate all got shut down far too quickly.

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:37pm
Here are some latest figures for Covid-19 deaths. Obviously can't vouch for their accuracy or whether they've been counted in the same way.

https://isabelcastillo.com/coronavirus-deaths-population [URL= ][/URL]
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 5:05pm
deaths are 22 higher today than last wednesday and 177 more infections
over the last 7 days the overall total of deaths 7 deaths more than the previous 7 days. In other words this virus has marginally gotten worse in the last week, deeply disturbing and under reported by the news who seem to think its all about to disappear. Were getting more reports abroad than around the UK.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 10:16am
Just another indication of how far ahead of us new zealand are of us politically and morally,the health minister has resigned over lapses that allowed the virus to re emerge,mind you we'd have no one in government if our lot resigned for lapses.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 12:47pm
1,435 jobs going from Airbus in North Wales:

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Just another indication of how far ahead of us new zealand are of us politically and morally,the health minister has resigned over lapses that allowed the virus to re emerge,mind you we'd have no one in government if our lot resigned for lapses.

Same guy who got caught going to the beach with his family during lockdown. 2 strikes your out. I know NZ is a small country population wise compared to us but their Pm is someone who instills huge confidence in the government's overall integrity. She also comes across as a normal human being - a girl next door type if that is not deemed condescending. It is actually meant as a huge compliment. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 10:07pm
Big fall today? over 400 fewer infections today , only 576 infections UK wide, despite 252,000 tests and 60 fewer deaths than last thursday. Every death is a tragedy but a big fall is some hope it may end soon. Its down to an average of 109 deaths UK wide per day. 

Edited by roy munster - 03 July 2020 at 2:48am
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 11:23am
I went shopping in a non-essesntial shop yesterday for the first time since lockdown.  Just been to Tesco and garden centre up unil now which I've found suprrisingly relaxing.

This bigger shop though, through no fault of their own had a very difficult and frustrating system which made me wonder how they will compete against the online shops from now on. 

1. First I had to stand outside until I was called in (all ok so far).  
2. As I approached the entrance I was asked what I wanted.
3. If I was going to purchase a specific item I would have to wait outside to be allocated an assistant who would take me to the item, pick it up for me and take it to be purchased.  
4. If I wanted to browse, I could do so, but if I saw something I liked I had to come back outside and wait my turn again to be allocated an assistant to pick the item up and take it to be purchased. 
5. No chance for spontaneity and a casual purchase.  All very cumbersome.

I have a lot of sympathy for these shops as their going to find it very hard to keep their sales up.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 03 July 2020 at 11:24am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 11:44am
Let's not compare nz to the UK. 4people per km v 261 per UK km and visitors to nz in last year 4million,uk 140 million. That's why they have controlled and got rid of, nothing to do with a good pm or not
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 305>
  Share Topic