Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Baa Baas thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 8:28am
Pivac getting into dangerous territory suggesting that Halaholo & Jonny will need to be much better than real Welsh alternatives. Either they are eligible or they are not. Currently we have Adams who is on form the first name in the back 3, then we have Liam at FB or if not available Leigh. The interesting selection is at 14. On recent form ( past 18 months) Jonny is streets ahead of all other challengers - North, Amos, Lane & Holmes.

At 12 the situation is completely different. If Pivac is true to his word then both Halaholo & the current incumbent Parkes will struggle to be selected ahead of Scott & Watkin. I also remain convinced that Gatland, given his clearly limited gameplan, would have been far better served in Japan with Jamie Roberts at 12. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pivac getting into dangerous territory suggesting that Halaholo & Jonny will need to be much better than real Welsh alternatives. Either they are eligible or they are not. Currently we have Adams who is on form the first name in the back 3, then we have Liam at FB or if not available Leigh. The interesting selection is at 14. On recent form ( past 18 months) Jonny is streets ahead of all other challengers - North, Amos, Lane & Holmes.

At 12 the situation is completely different. If Pivac is true to his word then both Halaholo & the current incumbent Parkes will struggle to be selected ahead of Scott & Watkin. I also remain convinced that Gatland, given his clearly limited gameplan, would have been far better served in Japan with Jamie Roberts at 12. 

The WM is being a bit naughty here in using a partial quote. What Pivac actually said was this:

"I've got a rule of thumb that if we select someone on the residential rules, in the view of the selectors they have to be playing that much better than the local."

"THAT much better" surely means, a bit better - a measurable difference - rather than "MUCH better", which implies a gulf in performance.

Pivac will learn how to weigh his words more carefully, for fear of mis-quoting or misrepresentation, in future!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 8:25am
Ok so what team will he select. I would think that Jonny is a shoe in to start. My guess would be :-

15. Halfers 14. Jonny 13. Watkin 12. Parkes 11. Adams 10. Evans 9. Cawdor
1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. Jake 5. Beard 6. Lewis-Hughes 7. Tipuric 8. Wainwright

16. Dee 17. Rob 18. Lewis 19. Seb 20. Basham 21. Tomos 22. Sam 23. Lane 

The ability of Aaron to cover the back 5 & Amos to cover back 3 and at a push 13 may make them favourites for the 24th & 25th men.  Hopefully that would mean we get Steff & Ryan back for the Belfast trip. 

Finally great to see Scott back training with the squad. Hope he can put his fitness issues behind him & reclaim his 12 jersey for the 6 nations. 
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 10:36am

Ok so what team will he select. I would think that Jonny is a shoe in to start. My guess would be :-

1. Wyn 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. Jake 5. Beard 6. Lewis-Hughes 7. Tipuric 8. Wainwright

The ability of Aaron to cover the back 5 & Amos to cover back 3 and at a push 13 may make them favourites for the 24th & 25th men.  Hopefully that would mean we get Steff & Ryan back for the Belfast trip. 

Finally great to see Scott back training with the squad. Hope he can put his fitness issues behind him & reclaim his 12 jersey for the 6 nations. 

As it's just an exhibition game I would like to think that they'd have one eye on helping the regions also, there's nothing on this Barbarians game.

Think the backs will be bang on, maybe McNicholl full back.

Would hope they'd leave one of Wyn Jones or Rob Evans at the region, same goes for one of Ken Owens or Ryan Elias. Would be nice if they left one of McNicholl or Halfpenny at the region also but can't see it unfortunately.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

As it's just an exhibition game I would like to think that they'd have one eye on helping the regions also, there's nothing on this Barbarians game.

Think the backs will be bang on, maybe McNicholl full back.

Would hope they'd leave one of Wyn Jones or Rob Evans at the region, same goes for one of Ken Owens or Ryan Elias. Would be nice if they left one of McNicholl or Halfpenny at the region also but can't see it unfortunately.

I can't see that the WRU has given the regions even a seconds thought when arranging this match. Filling their coffers being their only concern. Other unions have managed to plan for RWC this year without AI's.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 5:21pm
Nice little insight to the Wales camp under Pivac - https://www.facebook.com/WelshRugbyUnion/videos/789568494813598/

Johnny Mc in Wales stash looks a natural - he's getting Welsh anthem lessons from Steff H. Tongue

Edited by minded - 28 November 2019 at 7:48am
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 6:18pm
anyone know where the baa baas will be out in cardiff this week im up here doing a course and i got my end of course social tomorrow would b good to see them out on their team social
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

anyone know where the baa baas will be out in cardiff this week im up here doing a course and i got my end of course social tomorrow would b good to see them out on their team social

Almost any of the 100s of pubs in Cardiff. My guess would be Walkabout
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 8:44am
Wales side announced at 11.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:38am
Anyone with any news of any players released back to the clubs?
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Wales side announced at 11.
In time for us to have a couple back then hopefully although wouldn’t be surprised if brad has already picked his team.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:41am

Anyone with any news of any players released back to the clubs?

I'd like to think we could get a prop & a hooker back at the very least.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 10:31am
What’s this about God Save the Queen being played for the Ba Bas as their anthem? 🤔
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:05am

1. Wyn Jones
2. Ken Owens
3. Dillon Lewis
4. Jake Ball
5. Adam Beard
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Justin Tipuric (c)
8. Aaron Wainwright

9. Tomos Williams
10. Jarrod Evans
11. Josh Adams
12. Hadleigh Parkes
13. Owen Watkin
14. Johnny McNicholl
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Replacements:

16. Elliot Dee
17. Rob Evans
18. Leon Brown
19. Seb Davies
20. Ollie Griffiths
21. Gareth Davies
22. Sam Davies
23. Owen Lane​

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:08am
Thats Steff, Ryan & Samson should be available for Ulster.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:16am

Thats Steff, Ryan & Samson should be available for Ulster.

Less than an hour to find out.

Edited by Fscarlet - 28 November 2019 at 11:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic