Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 331332333334335 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Will Rowlands rumoured to be leaving the Dragons with Bath leading the way for his signature.

Big loss to Welsh rugby if thats true. With the current set up I doubt there is anything financially we could do to get him to PYS. He is the type we are looking for no doubt. 

We aren't allowed to offer contracts (I think), no Welsh side can - that's only my understanding/

Yes Steff has written a piece today on WOL. Players out of contract at the end of this season need security in all fairness. Reassurances from the chairman that it will get sorted eventually don't pay the mortgage. I guess the 60 cap rule will not be flexible in this case even though he has very little option. Pretty nonsensical really & helps make us the laughing stock we have become. 
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 11:38am
Players at a certain point of their career, and can still command decent wage elsewhere, are all looking around right now.

Regrettably they may have to sacrifice their international aspirations in return for a lengthier/decent contract.

Not ideal, but your reap what you sew at the end of the day.
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 12:34pm
What a mess, our best second row leaving Welsh rugby and will so be ineligible for Wales due to the WRU being incompetent. He would of been the Jake Ball replacement that we desperately need!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 12:48pm
Obviously doesn't apply to coaches Wink
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 1:33pm
Dragons have confirmed as it stands there is nothing they can do.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 2:19pm
He is a pro rugby player And he is seeking to maximise his  income good luck to  him. Let’s not kid ourselvesA lot of these wq qualified by grandparents or residency types tend to choose playing for wales mainly for  financial  reasons so if they get a better offer but lose their test careers so be it . In saying that He will be a Big loss to both wales and the dragons

Edited by RR1972 - 29 November 2022 at 2:24pm
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 2:58pm
Welsh rugby is the biggest joke in the world it’s completely knackered and we stand no chance of competing at any level.
All to keep sad parochial little men in blazers.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 3:00pm
In this case I think we need to keep things in perspective. Rowlands is different to say Hadleigh Parkes who left because he had a longer/better offer on the table. Currently Rowlands does not have an offer to stay in Wales on the table with no immediate prospect of that changing. What is he meant to do when an offer is forthcoming from across the bridge? 
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 3:56pm
Welsh Rugby is a joke at the moment we are rightly the laughing stock of world rugby ( and that’s just on the pitch ) it gets a lot worse when it comes to the WRU and how that’s run.

With Will Rowlands he’s the classic case of being English until he realised that he would never get English caps then became Welsh at 29 years of age. 

As Rugby players have a relatively short career earring the big bucks ( don’t know how much he will be on I’d guess between £100,000 to £200,000 ???? ) I don’t blame him to find the best offer on the table which includes job security, he’s probs got another 4 seasons max to try to set himself up for life.

If we as regions lose players because the WRU can’t pull their fingers out their bums and figure out budgets then heads need to roll, regions need to know how much is in the kitty for the start of next season before this season start. If the people at the WRU don’t know this they need to go.

Everybody the WRU employs needs to be an expert in their field ( ie finance)  with a love of Welsh Rugby 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 4:19pm

In this case I think we need to keep things in perspective. Rowlands is different to say Hadleigh Parkes who left because he had a longer/better offer on the table. Currently Rowlands does not have an offer to stay in Wales on the table with no immediate prospect of that changing. What is he meant to do when an offer is forthcoming from across the bridge? 
I can see this debacle leading to a slight revision of the 60 cap rule, in that if someone didn’t get an offer and during the budget farce freeze signed to play elsewhere, they’ll still be eligible for Wales although not as available for training of course on non international weekends plus other times.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Welsh Rugby is a joke at the moment we are rightly the laughing stock of world rugby ( and that’s just on the pitch ) it gets a lot worse when it comes to the WRU and how that’s run.

With Will Rowlands he’s the classic case of being English until he realised that he would never get English caps then became Welsh at 29 years of age. 

As Rugby players have a relatively short career earring the big bucks ( don’t know how much he will be on I’d guess between £100,000 to £200,000 ???? ) I don’t blame him to find the best offer on the table which includes job security, he’s probs got another 4 seasons max to try to set himself up for life.

If we as regions lose players because the WRU can’t pull their fingers out their bums and figure out budgets then heads need to roll, regions need to know how much is in the kitty for the start of next season before this season start. If the people at the WRU don’t know this they need to go.

Everybody the WRU employs needs to be an expert in their field ( ie finance)  with a love of Welsh Rugby 

Whilst I have sympathy for all Welsh based players, who dont know whether they will have a contract next season. Rowlands does have a WRU contract to the end of the World Cup, ie October 2023, so he is not in imminent danger of not being able to pay his mortgage. Lets be honest how many of us can be confident that we will continue to be paid for the next 11 months?
If he signs for a team outside Wales from the start of next season, under current rules he wont be selected to go to the World Cup with Wales and will miss out on the tournament bonus which was circa £100k per player last time. 
Bearing this in mind, he is unlikely to get an offer from the struggling English sides which would beat the WRU offer by more than £100k, so for me, this is just his agent trying to justify his fee.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Whilst I have sympathy for all Welsh based players, who dont know whether they will have a contract next season. Rowlands does have a WRU contract to the end of the World Cup, ie October 2023, so he is not in imminent danger of not being able to pay his mortgage. Lets be honest how many of us can be confident that we will continue to be paid for the next 11 months?
If he signs for a team outside Wales from the start of next season, under current rules he wont be selected to go to the World Cup with Wales and will miss out on the tournament bonus which was circa £100k per player last time. 
Bearing this in mind, he is unlikely to get an offer from the struggling English sides which would beat the WRU offer by more than £100k, so for me, this is just his agent trying to justify his fee.

I think that may be  questionable. I don't think he has a contract with the WRU beyond his contract with the Dragons which runs until end of May/June. Equally I cannot comment on the bonus situation amount but we did reach the semis last time out and Welsh rugby finances are on their knees post covid so I cannot see in any way, shape or form total bonuses being offered in 2023 running into the millions. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 10:59am
Another question perhaps we should ask about Rowlands is he may well be being offered a 3 year deal with Bath who have very good ownership credentials so, given the current uncertainties surrounding rugby finance in general, is gold dust. Even if he was offered a multi year contract with the Dragons who is to say they will be in existence.
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 11:19am

I think that may be  questionable. I don't think he has a contract with the WRU beyond his contract with the Dragons which runs until end of May/June. Equally I cannot comment on the bonus situation amount but we did reach the semis last time out and Welsh rugby finances are on their knees post covid so I cannot see in any way, shape or form total bonuses being offered in 2023 running into the millions. 

Its my understanding that current WRU joint player contracts include the World Cup at the start of next season, so run to October instead of May/June. 
All players at the World Cup get additional payments as it is a professional game and they all get paid for playing. One thing I can be sure if is that if they don't get paid for playing at the World Cup then they wont play! 
In the last World Cup Welsh players were payed circa £100k, many other nations players were paid a lot more, but I fully expect payments for Welsh players to be close to that figure next year.
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 11:24am

Another question perhaps we should ask about Rowlands is he may well be being offered a 3 year deal with Bath who have very good ownership credentials so, given the current uncertainties surrounding rugby finance in general, is gold dust. Even if he was offered a multi year contract with the Dragons who is to say they will be in existence.

Rowlands will be 32 at the end of his current contract, and you would anticipate Wales looking to rebuild a side for the 2027 World Cup, by which time he will be 36. So maybe his offer from the WRU reflects this?

A contract at the Dragons should be extremely secure as the are 100% owned by the WRU, who would surely be responsible for compensating employees, if the Dragons were wound up.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 11:28am

Its my understanding that current WRU joint player contracts include the World Cup at the start of next season, so run to October instead of May/June. 
All players at the World Cup get additional payments as it is a professional game and they all get paid for playing. One thing I can be sure if is that if they don't get paid for playing at the World Cup then they wont play! 
In the last World Cup Welsh players were payed circa £100k, many other nations players were paid a lot more, but I fully expect payments for Welsh players to be close to that figure next year.

I have just read that his contract expires with the Dragons in May/June. For him to be able to play at France 2023 his next contract must not commence until the tournament ends. Walker is saying he was offered a one year extension last year but Rowlands rejected it because he was not happy with the offer. Apparently Racing 92 are now in the running so that could be curtains with a contract starting after the world cup. 

As for the payments to Welsh players are you suggesting that they could go to France 2023, play 4 games, get knocked out at the pool stage & be paid £100k each??? I would find that pretty remarkable given the current state of Welsh rugby. Even the English only pay around £15k per game & they are the richest Union. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 331332333334335 445>
  Share Topic