Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The pyramid is only as strong As it’s base, we need strong grass roots, then strong pro game that will then lead to
A strong test team. At present a strong test team is seen as the be all and all of the game in wales
a poor autumn series and 6 nations will put the cat amongst the pigeons big time,the complacency and awful treatment of reions and grass roots is because the wru are complacent because of the success under gatland a few losses to lower nations could see us back being able to buy tickets in tesco like the late 80's.

Have said it on here multiple times. 

The system is too top heavy, Rugby Union in Wales is two poor back-to-back Six Nations seasons away from being unsalvageable.

The WRU can rightly say “national game generates 80%+ revenue for rugby in Wales, so that must be the focus” but if there’s a oak tree in your garden that gets 80% of all the sunlight it’s hard for anything else to grow. 

One day that oak tree gets a disease and you wish you’d let some sunlight in for the other plants to grow
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

hartson11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hartson11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 4:06pm
Deleted post

Edited by hartson11 - 20 October 2021 at 4:11pm
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 5:09pm

the complacency and awful treatment of reions and grass roots is because the wru are complacent because of the success under

I'd disagree, and say it's because the WRU are not accountable to anyone other than the 300 clubs that run it. You can have a CEO that is poached from Apple Inc. But at the end of the day, in Wales we have treasurers of amateur clubs that are effectively having a say on 4 professional clubs' destinies with combined turnover of c£30m.

That combined with the fact we have a retired Geography teacher as the Chairman of the WRU (a £90m business) means we will not be a priority. The people in charge will do what's best for:

a) The Wales team
b) The 300 clubs

Those are the only things that have measurability and determine whether they stay in power and are doing a good job. The 4 pro sides have absolutely no baring, because blame can be shifted to 'mismanagement of the regions'.

Regions funding budgets were slashed by 89% during the pandemic. Not a penny was taken from the amateur club budgets. That tells you all you need to know about where the power lies.

Professional sport governed by amateurs.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

the complacency and awful treatment of reions and grass roots is because the wru are complacent because of the success under

I'd disagree, and say it's because the WRU are not accountable to anyone other than the 300 clubs that run it. You can have a CEO that is poached from Apple Inc. But at the end of the day, in Wales we have treasurers of amateur clubs that are effectively having a say on 4 professional clubs' destinies with combined turnover of c£30m.

That combined with the fact we have a retired Geography teacher as the Chairman of the WRU (a £90m business) means we will not be a priority. The people in charge will do what's best for:

a) The Wales team
b) The 300 clubs

Those are the only things that have measurability and determine whether they stay in power and are doing a good job. The 4 pro sides have absolutely no baring, because blame can be shifted to 'mismanagement of the regions'.

Regions funding budgets were slashed by 89% during the pandemic. Not a penny was taken from the amateur club budgets. That tells you all you need to know about where the power lies.

That’s one word for them. 

As long as they get their days out at the stadium with wives or someone else’s wife and all the freebies that go with it, it will
Never change. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 6:11pm
The amatuer clubs signed a ring fenced funding agreenent  the professional clubs didn’t. Hardly the amatuer clubs fault tbh by all means have a go at the wru but what exactly  did the clubs do wrong? Btw the vast majority of people involved in the amatuer game do so for the love of the sport and the clubs they are attached to. I don’t think they should have any say on the pro game but they certainly shouldn’t  be demonised either

Edited by RR1972 - 20 October 2021 at 6:23pm
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 6:50pm

The amatuer clubs signed a ring fenced funding agreenent  the professional clubs didn’t. Hardly the amatuer clubs fault tbh by all means have a go at the wru but what exactly  did the clubs do wrong? Btw the vast majority of people involved in the amatuer game do so for the love of the sport and the clubs they are attached to. I don’t think they should have any say on the pro game but they certainly shouldn’t  be demonised either

Most of them couldn't be bothered to turn up for the AGM. They signed a funding agreement because they have the WRU wrapped round their finger. They are causing the professional game in this country to collapse. (As a collective this is meant, not every single person involved in amateur rugby)

They should be demonised far, far more than they are.

Edited by KID A - 20 October 2021 at 6:51pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 6:52pm
As i said they had the foresight to sign a ring fenced agreeneht. The professional sides didn’t maybe you should ask them why . I’m all for splitting the pro and amatuer game , but personally i’d like to see the regions and grass roots club work together to improve the game in wales.  But your right amatuer clubs should not have a say in the pro game 

Edited by RR1972 - 20 October 2021 at 7:00pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 7:01pm

As i said they had the foresight to sign a ring fenced agreeneht. The professional sides didn’t maybe you should ask them why . I’m all for splitting the pro and amatuer game , but personally i’d like to see the regions and grass roots club work together to improve the game in wales.  But your right amatuer clubs should not have a say in the pro game 
Because in order to be competitive the PRB pot needs to increase year on year. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 7:57am

a) The Wales team
b) The 300 clubs

Top post Kid A - I know RR has some disagreement with you but he does agree with the principle. The amateur game should have no bearing on the professional game when it comes to finances. The WRU have a record of employing the wrong people to run a £90m business. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 8:52am
I think most of us would agree that the amateur and pro game should be  dealt with separately and the amateurs should not have any say in pro rugby. The WRU structure with the current Chair is ridiculous. At least Gareth Davies was a businessman who has managed in rugby but was disposed of by the amateurs of effectively, village shops! BUT how does Pro rugby break free of the WRU shackles???? 🤔 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

how does Pro rugby break free of the WRU shackles???? 🤔 

The governance is so shockingly built that it would effectively take the 300 clubs to vote themselves out of power.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 10:51am

The governance is so shockingly built that it would effectively take the 300 clubs to vote themselves out of power.

Could not the regions revolt against the WRU. In reality without professional rugby in Wales the WRU struggle to survive. Our top players would find work elsewhere but the International set up would have to get used to player release just like in England. The model is looking us in the eyes - the Gallagher Premiership where clubs are at the forefront of the game. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 11:36am
But the english don’t need us in their league  neither do the french the irish are happy with the current set up, so where do we go if we break from the wru? Who do we play? Do we go back to a domestic lge with say the scots? Would that generate enough income ? Unless there is a b and i lge or at least an anglo welsh lge with the english sided we have no where to go. An undisputable truth all be it an unpleasant to many on here is that for most of the welsh public the test teAm is the side they care most about, if the regions disbanded over night the wru would likely just centrally contract all the best players. Put 2/3 teams in the urc and have total control of the pro game in wales. In fact they’d prob love that scenario. We must push for an b and i league that is the only way out of this 

Edited by RR1972 - 21 October 2021 at 11:40am
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Could not the regions revolt against the WRU. In reality without professional rugby in Wales the WRU struggle to survive. Our top players would find work elsewhere but the International set up would have to get used to player release just like in England. The model is looking us in the eyes - the Gallagher Premiership where clubs are at the forefront of the game. 

There is nowhere to go that would provide us with anywhere near the income that the URC provides. We're stuck in a Union that is run by amateur clubs, and a competition run by Unions.

The Gallagher Premiership is the model because it's owned by the teams that play in it. Not joining he English in the late 90s was the single worst decision domestic rugby in Wales ever made.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 11:56am
I agree
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 1:29pm
Me too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 445>
  Share Topic