Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 445>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2021 at 9:16pm
Ospreys made an operating loss of £660k in the last financial year, £416k more than the previous accounting period.
Sponsored Links

Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Ospreys made an operating loss of £660k in the last financial year, £416k more than the previous accounting period.
Not great with this type of thing so if someone can explain it to me it would be greatly appreciated. What exactly is an operating loss? Is it simply the difference between how much money the club takes in and how much it spends because if it is the loss seems comparatively small considering there’s been no crowds all year? Also how does the WRU negotiated Nat West (?) loan fit into this? Does it count as club income or as part of the operating loss?
Sorry if some of these questions seem stupid but as I said I’m not great with these types of things and I’d like to understand just how bad the picture is in terms of the regions’ finances.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2021 at 10:04pm
It’s basically their position at the end of that financial year after all operating costs have been taken off their gross profit. The thing to note here is that the accounts were made up to the 30th June 2020, so whilst it took into account a bit of the pandemic it won’t have included the impact of the 2020/21 season. 

In answer to your question re income from the loan, this wouldn’t show on the profit & loss account as income, but the interest on repayments would show as a cost & would be on the profit & loss as an expense. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2021 at 10:40pm

It’s basically their position at the end of that financial year after all operating costs have been taken off their gross profit. The thing to note here is that the accounts were made up to the 30th June 2020, so whilst it took into account a bit of the pandemic it won’t have included the impact of the 2020/21 season. 

In answer to your question re income from the loan, this wouldn’t show on the profit & loss account as income, but the interest on repayments would show as a cost & would be on the profit & loss as an expense. 
Thanks for those answers. I did think that the loss was a bit small but the fact that it was only up to last June and therefore didn’t include this season does seem to explain it.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 5:58am
The benchmark rugby entity for a good governance in recent years has been Exeter. One of the very few clubs to turn in consistent profits.

In the last fiscal year they made a loss of 2.6m fueled by a drop in turnover of 4.6m ... this is really all Covid impact.

In context the O's result is not bad.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

The benchmark rugby entity for a good governance in recent years has been Exeter. One of the very few clubs to turn in consistent profits.

In the last fiscal year they made a loss of 2.6m fueled by a drop in turnover of 4.6m ... this is really all Covid impact.

I think the difference is that Exeter’s accounts are running to the same period as the Ospreys, but there’s doesn’t include the prize money for winning the Premiership or Champions Cup. The true extent of this season in financial terms will only be known this time next year. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 7:13am

I used to go on holidays every year to a place called ladram bay near exmouth and the owner saw me with my scarlets t shirt on and called me over he told me the dream they had and about the planned new stadium and how all the building blocks were in place for it to be successful they have certainly achieved that in spades,i might add that the welcome we had there when we played them in H C was absolutely fantastic, a great example as you say wil.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 7:44am
Exeter certainly are a success story both playing wise & financially. Of course helped by Mr Rowe's generosity but they have set their store out as a sporting & hospitality business. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 8:16am
Leinster signing the canterbury tight head is another excellent addition to their squad. Still the team to beAt in the pro 14
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 8:20am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Leinster signing the canterbury tight head is another excellent addition to their squad. Still the team to beAt in the pro 14

Not a bad 3 TH props to have in their squad, arguably 2 potential lions in Porter & Furlong & a Samoan international.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 11:03am
Not really rival team news but in what will surely help the pacific island teams in the future, 2 Pacific Island sides have been granted conditional licenses to enter a planned Super Rugby tournament in 2022 with sides from New Zealand & Austrailia. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 1:34pm
Simon Zebo is set to re-join Munster.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 2:27pm

Simon Zebo is set to re-join Munster.
Wonder what the equation ends up being between tax saving in Ireland, if his trip to Paris meant he lost it, versus the extra earnings at Racing after tax.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 2:35pm
He needed to 10 consecutive seasons in Ireland to meet the tax rebate ( which he did pre leaving I believe).
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 3:39pm

He needed to 10 consecutive seasons in Ireland to meet the tax rebate ( which he did pre leaving I believe).
Excellent timing and a “pension top up meets cultural adventure”. Smart planning.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 3:55pm
1 year deal mind...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 445>
  Share Topic