Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Formula 1 in 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula 1 in 2011
    Posted: 30 October 2011 at 10:03am
I seem to be in a very small majority, but as a massive F1 fan, I am horrified with how this season has panned out.

"Best season in years" screams Autosport magazine but all I can see is a return to the tedious Schumacher years of "who finished second?".

When you consider that the last race of last season saw three drivers go into the race with a chance of the championship and three years ago we saw Massa think he was world champ only realise Hamilton had pipped him by overtaking three corners from the line, this season has been a pathetic and predictable procession.

As I write this, Vettel is disappearing into the distance yet again with the other drivers scrabbling over the minor places. As Ron Dennis used to say "Runner up is just the first of the losers".

Please let 2012 be different and that we're not going to have Vettel win for a third consecutive season. The public lost interest when Schumacher was winning and will do so again.

Or, as I say, I seem to be in a small minority if you believe the motor sports press.

Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 10:05am
I don't think you are in the minority. The sport is getting better in terms of tracks, limited silly rules etc Unfortunately one team and one driver are just on fire.

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 10:17am
Massa will be fuming at that penalty.

How on earth was Kobayashi not penalised for the 1st lap shenanigans? Ridiculous.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 10:37am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I don't think you are in the minority. The sport is getting better in terms of tracks, limited silly rules etc Unfortunately one team and one driver are just on fire.

It's not so much the boredom aspect, and I totally agree that Vettel is in a class of his own (or in an Adrian Newey car as Prost, Mansell and Hakkinen have soared similarly in the past) but the fact that the journalists are trying to con us that this season is what we want.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

It's not so much the boredom aspect, and I totally agree that Vettel is in a class of his own (or in an Adrian Newey car as Prost, Mansell and Hakkinen have soared similarly in the past) but the fact that the journalists are trying to con us that this season is what we want.

F1 is all about hype. It's the boxing of motorsports.

I hope Vettel doesn't dominate for years to come.
PriestlandForWales! View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PriestlandForWales! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 11:43am

I seem to be in a very small majority, but as a massive F1 fan, I am horrified with how this season has panned out.

"Best season in years" screams Autosport magazine but all I can see is a return to the tedious Schumacher years of "who finished second?".

When you consider that the last race of last season saw three drivers go into the race with a chance of the championship and three years ago we saw Massa think he was world champ only realise Hamilton had pipped him by overtaking three corners from the line, this season has been a pathetic and predictable procession.

As I write this, Vettel is disappearing into the distance yet again with the other drivers scrabbling over the minor places. As Ron Dennis used to say "Runner up is just the first of the losers".

Please let 2012 be different and that we're not going to have Vettel win for a third consecutive season. The public lost interest when Schumacher was winning and will do so again.

Or, as I say, I seem to be in a small minority if you believe the motor sports press.

In action and overtaking its been exciting, one of the best seasons in years for that - although it has gone a bit of the boil now these past races, now that Vettel is world champion. There still have been exciting races even with Vettel screaming off into the distance. But I do agree with you, I've given up watching qualifying these days as that is not a competition anymore. Newey is a genius. But hopefully Ferrari, Mclaren and Mercedes get their act together for next year so we can see a good 4 way scrap for the title!
Damn you Tim Stimpson
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 12:13pm
But even the overtaking is stage managed with DRS - although better to have it than not.

Bernie has suggested putting water sprinklers around all the tracks and deploying them at random times in some races.

At least it shows that he knows that a single racer winning all the time is bad for the sport. He needs at least one challenger so I just hope that Hamilton's desire to race with Red Bull comes off (or Vettel leaves to drive for Ferrari).

I should also say that Vettel is an exceptional driver and the way he trounces his team mate proves that. The only true measurement of a driver is against his team mate in an identical car (well, for most of the time apart from last year's British GP when Vettel had the extra parts).

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 1:24pm
Seb is class it also comes down to the best car. Which is no bad thing but the monotony of it all is borinnnnggggggggggg.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Seb is class it also comes down to the best car. Which is no bad thing but the monotony of it all is borinnnnggggggggggg.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 7:00pm
F1 is a travesty when you consider its history. Nobody could fail to be hooked when you watched Pironi and Gilles Villeneuve banging wheels in the early 80s or Prost and Senna squabbling in the late 80s.

The trade-off is safety and rightly so. It has made the cars aerodynamically brilliant and very safe but this causes a best car/best driver scenario (Mansell '92, Prost '93, Schumi in the 00s).

Look at Indycar where you get close racing with several different winners but it has a safety record of hell.

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 9:41pm

F1 is a travesty when you consider its history. Nobody could fail to be hooked when you watched Pironi and Gilles Villeneuve banging wheels in the early 80s or Prost and Senna squabbling in the late 80s.

The trade-off is safety and rightly so. It has made the cars aerodynamically brilliant and very safe but this causes a best car/best driver scenario (Mansell '92, Prost '93, Schumi in the 00s).

Look at Indycar where you get close racing with several different winners but it has a safety record of hell.

Indycar is just insanity Abbey. Only the insane Americans could come up with it.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 10:27pm
I'm fairly new to F1 having only really watched the last 3 seasons. I agree this season has been disappointing in that we already have a winner but some of the races like the Canadian GP have kept me hooked.

Slightly off topic but I was shown this video in the week of difference in speed of F1 vs GT Cars going through Eau Rouge, unbelievable: 

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 10:55pm
That video isn't right. The F1 cars are in the air!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic