Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clive Woodward

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born-and-Bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clive Woodward
    Posted: 03 September 2004 at 3:54pm

Clive Woodwind has just slated English rugby and the way it is run! (www.bbc.co.uk)

What Woodward said
A selection of the best quotes from Sir Clive Woodward's explosive news conference at Twickenham.

Sir Clive Woodward
If I am in a minority of one it doesn't mean to say I am wrong
Sir Clive Woodward on his reasons for resigning as England coach

On his mood after the World Cup win
It was fantastic to win, but from the moment we landed at Heathrow, I felt totally out of control.

On the post World Cup mood
It was the same old meetings and the same old discussions with same old people - and I found that quite staggering. I wanted more and we have ended up with less.

On why he went
I cannot compromise. Winning is about inches. Look at Kelly Holmes - she won by inches. We won the World Cup by inches. You don't win World Cups by compromising.

You can't take short cuts if you're trying to be the best in the world. We won by an inch, because we did that little bit more than our opponents.

On his decision to resign
This is not a spur-of-the-moment decision. I have thought long and hard about this. I had two clear months in July and August to get my thoughts in line.

What has happened is wrong. I couldn't have gone backwards from what we had. You have to fight and that is what I have done for seven years.

On his self belief
There is no fear in losing a game of rugby. There is fear in failing to prepare properly.

If I am in a minority of one, it doesn't mean to say I am wrong.

On what is wrong is English rugby
Players today are playing too many games. Martin Johnson just could not keep going, it was just too much.

This is why the team has broken up so quickly. It all caught up with them, their family lives and their bodies.

We got back on a Tuesday, and everyone was playing again on the Saturday. It was madness.

On the current state of English rugby
Control of players is everything. You can't control players through 12 directors of rugby, half of whom aren't English.

It's no good having great systems if you haven't got any players.

On Lawrence Dallaglio's decision to quit international rugby
No-one asked why. Lawrence should still be playing for England, but he had given everything he could.

I saw Lawrence, and I wanted to give him a hug.

On his frustration with the Rugby Football Union and English clubs
I'm amazed and saddened that the clubs and the RFU have taken us down this road. You make your point and people aren't listening.

I was sitting round the table with people who had no idea about professional rugby.

On the British and Irish Lions
I am 100% committed to the Lions. My commitment to them is absolute. I am taking no job from anyone until that is finished.

The Lions is going to be fantastic. I want to work with the Welsh, the Irish, the Scots. This season is about the Lions and nothing else.

On the Lions' chances of success
If we arrive in New Zealand in the same state that England arrived this summer, we will lose. It doesn't matter who is coaching - we will lose.

On stand-in England coach Andy Robinson
Robinson should be appointed. He thinks he can work within this compromise but it is right for me to step down if I don't believe I can work within the compromise.

On his time in English rugby
I have loved every minute of it, but I will be leaving rugby at end of the Lions tour.

On his ambitions in football
I haven't applied for the England job. I am not stupid. You only get put in positions after time, and in terms of football I am a million miles off that.

I have a tremendous amount to learn from football. It is a new challenge and I have to start right at the bottom. I might coach Maidenhead under nines.

On his links with Southampton
I have been talking to Rupert Lowe for a long time. He contacted me a couple of years ago, but certainly I'm not involved in anything to do with the first team. I will take no paid position until the Lions tour is over.

On England's chances of retaining the World Cup
Of course England can win it. They've got the players and the coaches, and I sincerely hope they do.

Edited by Born-and-Bred
Sponsored Links

wizard View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
No Longer An Admin of SF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 3:59pm
Edit :- Moved to General Rugby
Boynsmun View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boynsmun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 4:51pm
Good grief I seem to be agreeing with Clive Woodward!! x Help somebody pleeeease! xx
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 9:23pm
a genuine guy,if he says there are positives then you tend to believe him.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic