Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Boring Rugby
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Boring Rugby

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 29 September 2019
Location: North Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 1419
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2022 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

When the referee calls ruck, no one else can join the ruck, so no caterpillar can be formed. 

Also something which I have noticed this season is a defending player standing to the side of the ruck, not attached to it, being a shield for the 9 when box kicking, that should be stopped too.

Far too much protection for the 9's these days.
The problem with any of those rules (however sensible some of them are) is that refs don’t tend to want to blow the whistle too often and so what you’d see is they’d clamp down on it quite hard in the first few months and then minds would drift and things would be back to how they are now within a year or two. Instead I’d propose cutting down the time from ‘use it’ to actually having to use it from 5 to 3 seconds. Once 3 seconds have gone the ref shouts ‘ball out’ and the defending team can pick the ball up from the ruck. That way you get rid of the box kick, and make the game more entertaining, and do something that the refs are likely to persist with for more than a few weeks / months. 
The trouble is ref's now shout use it & I often count (yes I am that sad) 7 or 8 seconds before the ball is actually picked up.
So if the time is cut to 3 seconds there’s half a chance the ball will be out in 5! In all seriousness I think a big part of the reason for that is that refs don’t want to cause another scrum (and the resets that tend to come with them). That’s why I proposed just the ruck being over after 3 seconds (and hence the ref shouting ‘ball out’), therefore avoiding any scrums / free kicks. Of course there’s no guarantee that it would work but it seems worth a trial at the very least IMO. 
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 1881
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 4:43pm
I agree and broadcasters should have an onscreen timer from use-it that the TMO can see, anything that stops the build up to the caterpillar will help rugby imo.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 May 2005
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 10735
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

When the referee calls ruck, no one else can join the ruck, so no caterpillar can be formed. 

Also something which I have noticed this season is a defending player standing to the side of the ruck, not attached to it, being a shield for the 9 when box kicking, that should be stopped too.

Far too much protection for the 9's these days.
The problem with any of those rules (however sensible some of them are) is that refs don’t tend to want to blow the whistle too often and so what you’d see is they’d clamp down on it quite hard in the first few months and then minds would drift and things would be back to how they are now within a year or two. Instead I’d propose cutting down the time from ‘use it’ to actually having to use it from 5 to 3 seconds. Once 3 seconds have gone the ref shouts ‘ball out’ and the defending team can pick the ball up from the ruck. That way you get rid of the box kick, and make the game more entertaining, and do something that the refs are likely to persist with for more than a few weeks / months. 
The trouble is ref's now shout use it & I often count (yes I am that sad) 7 or 8 seconds before the ball is actually picked up.
So if the time is cut to 3 seconds there’s half a chance the ball will be out in 5! In all seriousness I think a big part of the reason for that is that refs don’t want to cause another scrum (and the resets that tend to come with them). That’s why I proposed just the ruck being over after 3 seconds (and hence the ref shouting ‘ball out’), therefore avoiding any scrums / free kicks. Of course there’s no guarantee that it would work but it seems worth a trial at the very least IMO. 

Didn't stop Busby last week !
Back to Top
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 7452
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I agree and broadcasters should have an onscreen timer from use-it that the TMO can see, anything that stops the build up to the caterpillar will help rugby imo.
Easier go back to old rule as soon as SH touches ball it’s in play 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Back to Top
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 1881
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I agree and broadcasters should have an onscreen timer from use-it that the TMO can see, anything that stops the build up to the caterpillar will help rugby imo.
Easier go back to old rule as soon as SH touches ball it’s in play 

That hinders attacking rugby though as team with possession has to commit lots of people to breakdown to protect 9
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 04 December 2010
Location: Pwll
Status: Offline
Points: 3515
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2022 at 7:43pm
Takes a lot of players to make a caterpillar too.Wink
Keep the faith
Back to Top
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 27 May 2012
Location: wales
Status: Offline
Points: 206
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2022 at 3:32am
jarod evans omission this season by the so called more attacking welsh coach mr pivac highlights how uber conservative anti flair welsh rugby is and has been for many moons
sir duckling tuft
Back to Top
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 1881
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 8:41am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Takes a lot of players to make a caterpillar too.Wink

I did hear one person suggest it shouldn’t be called a caterpillar rather call it a human centipede 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.