Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

English cricket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 7:15pm
Lets see test cricket played in a t20 style when the ball is turning at right angles out in the sub continet , especially with englands top 3Wink. Mind you if they open with butler or hales who knows!

Edited by RR1972 - 07 July 2022 at 7:16pm
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 8:41pm
Yeah there is a suspicion that the Dukes balls this summer are worse than normal (go soft very soon) which is why it’s swinging less and easier to bat against, especially in the middle overs.

But even that doesn’t minimise how incredible the last 4 tests were.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 9:36pm
Your right fair play to england been a great watch and 4 top class tests
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2022 at 4:42pm
I stand corrected somewhat on the hundred, in terms of viewing and ticket sales, its been a roaring success again....Over half a million tickets sold, 10,000+ at Welsh fire games, 20,000+ at Lords, the final an expected sell out at Lords too....The women have been playing front of an average 7500 crowd as theyve played the double headers....I read that over 50% of these fans are new to cricket and never attended a game before. https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2230059/more-than-16m-tune-in-to-the-hundred-as-competition-welcomes-new-fans-to-cricket

Theres live music in all the breaks in play, its a world class stadium now with something for everyone, they even had a rent a hot tub on the boundary a few seasons back lol
The purists may not be totally enamoured with it, but who can argue with the figures....Its clearly bring vast numbers of new fans, young and old, both genders too....The BBC coverage has been comprehensive ....So its all good for the growth of the game....The one factor Id overlooked is the skills the short short game has helped develop and been brought into the test arena.....Lets face it even the most hardened test cricket fan would fall asleep watching the likes of geoff boycott defending all day for a bore draw...LOL
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2022 at 7:58pm
The 100 score board hurts my eyesWink
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The purists may not be totally enamoured with it, but who can argue with the figures....Its clearly bring vast numbers of new fans, young and old, both genders too....The BBC coverage has been comprehensive ....So its all good for the growth of the game.....LOL

The figures are impressive dependent on the marketing spend.

Argument from many cricket fans from the start was that if you invested the equivalent sum of money into the T20 blast you’d have had much similar results and fewer long term problems.

There was nothing stopping them getting more coverage on the BBC or Free to air before. 

The was nothing stopping them investing in match day experience.

Nothing stopping them advertising like they have. 

There were a few things that it defo did make a difference for
- womens game 
- in game innovations like one fewer player out on the boundary for slow over rate
- not having to change ends at the end of every over.
- reduce to 8 sides 

A lot of these things I think could have been done anyway within the T20 blast structure but I’d guess the counties were intransigent and the ECB was sick of it
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 7:49pm
F the 100 takes off rest assured counties will be culled
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2022 at 4:55pm
They got a total pasting today well played the saffers
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2022 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Match won by the South African bowling attack. Lets face it I would fancy my chances of surviving against England's pace attack none of whom can get it much beyond 85 MPH. 90-95MPH is a totally different proposition. In cloudy overcast conditions Broad & Anderson will trouble many batsmen but do we really think that we can win the ashes with those two???? As for batting we need two solid, competent opening batsmen to give us a steady start before we unleash the strokemakers - it was always thus & no change of leadership will change the fundamentals of test cricket. 

Where is the next Boycott because that is what England desperately need. South Africa's Rabanda is the best bowler in the world for me. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2022 at 6:23pm
They need wood and archer back first
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2022 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Match won by the South African bowling attack. Lets face it I would fancy my chances of surviving against England's pace attack none of whom can get it much beyond 85 MPH. 90-95MPH is a totally different proposition. In cloudy overcast conditions Broad & Anderson will trouble many batsmen but do we really think that we can win the ashes with those two???? As for batting we need two solid, competent opening batsmen to give us a steady start before we unleash the strokemakers - it was always thus & no change of leadership will change the fundamentals of test cricket. 

Where is the next Boycott because that is what England desperately need. South Africa's Rabanda is the best bowler in the world for me. 
Boycott and Bazball - mutually exclusive

Bit like Bob the Geog and proper funding for the pro game in Wales/sensible business decisions.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2022 at 8:27pm
Just need to bring through some world class bowlers before anderson and broad one day finally hang up their spikes
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2022 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Bit like Bob the Geog and proper funding for the pro game in Wales/sensible business decisions.

As someone who would describe himself as the very poor man's Boycott when I played I firmly believe that in test cricket a solid, defensively accurate opener is a must have. Exposing the dashers we have at 3, 5 & 6 to a swinging, hard ball against top bowlers is going to fail far more than succeed. Stokes, as captain, appears to me to have lost the plot. His attitude when he comes in looks as if he's playing 20/20 not 5 day test cricket. He is a very accomplished batsmen capable of building a big innings and when he is set is very difficult to bowl at but why is he trying to slog hit in his first few overs at the crease even when we are 4 down for not many?????

Attacking, result cricket is to be applauded but you have to get the balance right. We need far more from Stokes than a streaky 20 from 15 balls. He will always score quickly so why the hail Marys from ball 1????
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2022 at 9:20am

As someone who would describe himself as the very poor man's Boycott when I played I firmly believe that in test cricket a solid, defensively accurate opener is a must have. Exposing the dashers we have at 3, 5 & 6 to a swinging, hard ball against top bowlers is going to fail far more than succeed. Stokes, as captain, appears to me to have lost the plot. His attitude when he comes in looks as if he's playing 20/20 not 5 day test cricket. He is a very accomplished batsmen capable of building a big innings and when he is set is very difficult to bowl at but why is he trying to slog hit in his first few overs at the crease even when we are 4 down for not many?????

Attacking, result cricket is to be applauded but you have to get the balance right. We need far more from Stokes than a streaky 20 from 15 balls. He will always score quickly so why the hail Marys from ball 1????
Economically, it is awful for the game if tests regularly finish in 3 days, or less and that will filter down to the rest of the game.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2022 at 10:13am
It’s a hard task to go 5 an over against a seam attack like the saffers.  Will england adapt or go for more of the same?

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2022 at 5:07pm

Economically, it is awful for the game if tests regularly finish in 3 days, or less and that will filter down to the rest of the game.

Not a regular watcher these days but don’t most Test matches end within 4 days now ie everywhere? Why can’t we move to 4 day tests ? That means you can then fit in an extra Test for the public and so they are happy and money still comes in? 🤔 I am not sure the modern appetite is there in 2022 for 5 days of cricket with younger fans either 

Edited by reesytheexile - 22 August 2022 at 5:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic