Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh Squad for South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 8:40am
You really have to wonder what is happening with the tight head situation in team Wales. Are we really looking to expose two young players who have very limited first class experience between them? Surely it would be better to use WGJ or even Joe Jones of Sale. I can only assume Pivac has sought the advice of Franks & the Saracens forwards coach on this issue. 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 8:47am
I have re-looked at the final lineout on our 10m line. The option to kick long for me would have the wrong option even with 15 on the field. Why not secure the lineout & attempt a maul? Even a maul going nowhere would have used up the 20 seconds allowing Tomos to clear. I understand the issue with setting up a pod 40 metres out to run the clock down with the danger of being pinged for sealing off but a well worked lineout drive would have been the least dangerous option. 

Where is the clarity of thinking & leadership? Its not as if we didn't have enough experience on the field with AWJ, Faletau & Navidi hardly novices.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 9:08am
WGJ hasn't excelled since he has been with us & has fallen down the pecking order. 

I think O'Connor will only be used if there is another injury at TH, I hope the training is benefitting him.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 10:01am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You really have to wonder what is happening with the tight head situation in team Wales. Are we really looking to expose two young players who have very limited first class experience between them? Surely it would be better to use WGJ or even Joe Jones of Sale. I can only assume Pivac has sought the advice of Franks & the Saracens forwards coach on this issue. 
pivac too lazy / slack to cap botha or sebastian has really hurt us, why limit our selections in a area we always weak in, once again pivac has been found wanting
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 10:03am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Excellent at breakdown v good in defence but  not much of a footballing 7 tbh. Morgan looks better to me
He’s not selected for his footballing abilities. He’s there because of how strong he is at the contact area 
he is excellent there but needs to work on all aspects of his game, can’t be a one trick pony especially when lydiate is another non footballing flanker. Keep picking him but look to improve his handling game. He is a good player but hopefully he becomes a really good player

Edited by RR1972 - 04 July 2022 at 10:23am
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 11:06am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I have re-looked at the final lineout on our 10m line. The option to kick long for me would have the wrong option even with 15 on the field. Why not secure the lineout & attempt a maul? Even a maul going nowhere would have used up the 20 seconds allowing Tomos to clear. I understand the issue with setting up a pod 40 metres out to run the clock down with the danger of being pinged for sealing off but a well worked lineout drive would have been the least dangerous option. 

Where is the clarity of thinking & leadership? Its not as if we didn't have enough experience on the field with AWJ, Faletau & Navidi hardly novices.

It’s baffling. I’ve yet to speak to someone who thought kicking it away was a good idea. Leadership doesn’t really come into it. It’s commons sense. 13 v 15 and kicking the ball away. Baffling. 

Edited by SA14 - 04 July 2022 at 11:07am
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 11:24am

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

Can’t fault the boys today, a few creaks at scrum time but this ref had an absolute shocker today.
How he is an international ref I’ll never know. He constantly let the Bok players surround him. Some of his calls were even worse especially the AWJ card
Sorry but I think that’s total nonsense. I didn’t think the ref had the best game and certainly didn’t control the game well today. However we had ample opportunity to win that game. Our discipline was terrible for much of the match and you simply can’t get away with it at international level. The cards seemed legitimate enough to me.
The LRZ yellow was laughable. He makes a tackle, releases the player, gets back on to his feet, and jackles while also supporting his body weight with no hands on the floor. Clear Welsh penalty. Very poor call. 
im sorry to disagree but there is no clear video or screen shot footage of any clear  release , he didnt appear to let his hands free of the bok player at anytime, it’s possible he did and possible he didn’t but it’s not clear either way. It is entirely  possible and indeed highly likely he  kept hold of the
Bok player at all times.A clearer offence was  tompkins challenge in the air that went unpunished and set up our second try. Biggar poor conversion, williams daft kick and biggar silly 1 handed knock on blew a draw for us there. The easy optiom is to blame the ref instead of looking at our own failings
The footage is pretty clear to be fair. 
to be fsit it isn’t on that clip uou posted no one has prodiuced a ckear screen shot of his clear release any where on social medis tbh
https://twitter.com/clayone/status/1543876856973254657?s=21&t=pUxu0PckQI01aGnUaY6iIw

This is a clear one. It was the wrong decision. LRZ tackles, makes a clear release, jackles while supporting his own body weight and is wrongly penalised 

Edited by scarletnut - 04 July 2022 at 11:25am
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 11:27am
That does appear to show a relase has he got one of tonkins taking the bok out in the air? Or we just going to pretend that never happened?Wink  Let’s be blunt lots of wels rughy fans are 1 eyed cry babies, bleating over every close call that goes against us and ignoring every close call in our favour,  the most vocal of these are on twitter they really do welsh rugby very a dis service and make us look ungracious bad sports

Edited by RR1972 - 04 July 2022 at 11:59am
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 12:05pm

That does appear to show a relase has he got one of tonkins taking the bok out in the air? Or we just going to pretend that never happened?Wink  Let’s be blunt lots of wels rughy fans are 1 eyed cry babies, bleating over every close call that goes against us and ignoring every close call in our favour,  the most vocal of these are on twitter they really do welsh rugby very a dis service and make us look ungracious bad sports
No one wanted to look at the replay of Tomkins’s timing on that tackle. I think I recall the ref saying he was happy with it.

Be that as it may, the two incidents above are completely different. 

The build up to the LRZ try was a complete surprise. It was a very weird line out. As a result, the ref may well have been caught off guard.

The LRZ tackle, release and jackal, were the end of a move that had been going on for a while and looked destined to end in a try until that moment. The ref would have been completely focused on the action so wouldn’t have been surprised. He might’ve been a bit far back from play to get a good view of what happened, for whatever reason - altitude reaction even.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 12:40pm

If you penalise Tompkins there, the game of Rugby is finished. Every ball carrier running towards a tackler jumps at the last minute and gets"taken out in the air"  and awarded a penalty. Tompkins was stationary, the Bok jumped into Tompkins arms and if anything, Tompkins let his opponent down to the ground gently. The TMO would have asked the referee to take a look had there been anything amiss. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 12:50pm

Umm you do realise the incorrect call on LRZ cost Wales a player and seven points which ultimately cost them the game? 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

If you penalise Tompkins there, the game of Rugby is finished. Every ball carrier running towards a tackler jumps at the last minute and gets"taken out in the air"  and awarded a penalty. Tompkins was stationary, the Bok jumped into Tompkins arms and if anything, Tompkins let his opponent down to the ground gently. The TMO would have asked the referee to take a look had there been anything amiss. 

Penalty Wales then ? I'm sure that you're not allowed to jump into a tackle ? NIgel Owens did a short video on it once, or am I imagining it ?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 1:23pm

My recollection John though is that the Bok player was not a ball carrier. A long lineout throw was jumped for by the Bok player who got taken out clumsily ( no malice involved) by Tompkins. In that instance its deemed as foul play - penalty only. If that is the case then Wales were fortunate to get a 7 point try which of course cancels out their unlucky LRZ card and the following 7 points. Overall result Wales still lose because of poor captaincy and a 9 who is poor under pressure. 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Penalty Wales then ? I'm sure that you're not allowed to jump into a tackle ? NIgel Owens did a short video on it once, or am I imagining it ?

I don't think there was anything in the contact. And not every contact between a player on the ground and one in the air is an offence. But if you interpret it as being an offence, then the game of rugby has a problem.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:30pm
I think it’s okay to feel hard done by sometimes 

Refs typically give the home team a lot of 50:50 calls and that’s part of the difficulty of playing away from home. he did seem pretty rattled by the atmosphere.

But we had chances to win it. Biggar’s kick would’ve changed how we handled those last 2 mins. Including his 50/50 intercept knock on, which if LRZ/Watkin had made that mistake people would be shouting “inexperience” etc

Tomos Williams getting a lot of heat, don’t think it’s unwarranted but as many have said vs France in 2021 we held onto it and gave the penalty away. Had we done the same people would be screaming about same old mistakes.

As it happens this one reminds me more of Foxy’s kick down George Ford’s throat to Farrel to Daly in the corner. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
lordcuthbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordcuthbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 3:43pm

Haven't even heard Bok fans trying to single that one out. Ref was totally and utterly awful and lost us the game. I can accept dodgy refereeing, but he was very clearly influenced by the crowd and the occasion got to him.

As for Dan Biggar's captaincy, I think he did a lot better on the day than Kolisi who looked to start a few fights across the pitch and seemed to loose his head (hence why he was subbed I'd imagine)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic