Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh Squad for South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I think it's more to do with building depth for the world cup & exposing players to test match rugby in readiness for the upcoming rugby championship.

Yes but that also means they think they can do that vs Wales because we’re not a threat
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 1:04pm
They may live to regret being so ruthless. The Welsh camp should be naming an unchanged team. The logic suggests that the Boks would have improved with a game under their belts but now they are starting again more or less. 
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 5:28pm
I suppose it depends what they're aim is for these matches. Are they more concerned about winning the tour or preparing for the RWC?
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 7:04pm
Think they’re not happy with their performance last week, don’t think the side is necessarily weak, they’ve got players like Roos coming in for his first game who at times looked unplayable in the URC.

Edited by crj89 - 05 July 2022 at 7:05pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 8:07am
Shrewd selection by South Africa. They won't have been happy with many performances last Saturday & many players are relying on reputation for continuing selection - De Klerk, de Allende, the starting front row etc. This selection rewards success in last season's URC in the main and will give the coaches valuable feedback going into the final test and those to come against their Southern Hemisphere opponents. 

The reigning World champions realise that they are going to need fresh blood to defend their title in France so their decision, being 1-0 up in the series, is to have a look at players against Wales rather than NZ or Australia - pretty sensible thinking in my opinion. For Pivac & his coaching team he has to stick with picking his best team for every game, fitness allowing. His main advantage will be the Boks not having played together in any meaningful game so they will take time to gel. Time to be bold, get our discipline spot on and attack from the word go. 

A win of any sorts will really set Wales up to have a good crack at sea level in Capetown. I am still left wondering how good Wales really were last Saturday or were they flattered by how poor the Boks were. We should find out Saturday. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 8:24am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Shrewd selection by South Africa. They won't have been happy with many performances last Saturday & many players are relying on reputation for continuing selection - De Klerk, de Allende, the starting front row etc. This selection rewards success in last season's URC in the main and will give the coaches valuable feedback going into the final test and those to come against their Southern Hemisphere opponents. 

The reigning World champions realise that they are going to need fresh blood to defend their title in France so their decision, being 1-0 up in the series, is to have a look at players against Wales rather than NZ or Australia - pretty sensible thinking in my opinion. For Pivac & his coaching team he has to stick with picking his best team for every game, fitness allowing. His main advantage will be the Boks not having played together in any meaningful game so they will take time to gel. Time to be bold, get our discipline spot on and attack from the word go. 

A win of any sorts will really set Wales up to have a good crack at sea level in Capetown. I am still left wondering how good Wales really were last Saturday or were they flattered by how poor the Boks were. We should find out Saturday. 

For me, we were good, we took the fight to the world champions from the off & even when they got back into it we scored a try when we had men in the bin - that's a bit of the fighting spirit that I want to see from us when our back are against the wall.

For reference in terms of the physical effort from the team, at altitude, we made a massive 170 tackles as opposed to the Bok's 81. Thats a hell of an effort.

The coaching staff deserve a bit of credit for coming up with a game plan that almost worked & the players likewise for delivering the plan.

Now this weekend it is imperative that we build on this performance, there is a part of me that is thinking that the wholesale changes from the Bok's mean they will be fresher. But we should stick to the team, injuries aside, that started well apart from I think I would like Jonny Williams in place of Tompkins as I feel he is a bit more solid defensively. I think Lydiate deserves to start again. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

For me, we were good, we took the fight to the world champions from the off & even when they got back into it we scored a try when we had men in the bin - that's a bit of the fighting spirit that I want to see from us when our back are against the wall.

For reference in terms of the physical effort from the team, at altitude, we made a massive 170 tackles as opposed to the Bok's 81. Thats a hell of an effort.

The coaching staff deserve a bit of credit for coming up with a game plan that almost worked & the players likewise for delivering the plan.

Now this weekend it is imperative that we build on this performance, there is a part of me that is thinking that the wholesale changes from the Bok's mean they will be fresher. But we should stick to the team, injuries aside, that started well apart from I think I would like Jonny Williams in place of Tompkins as I feel he is a bit more solid defensively. I think Lydiate deserves to start again. 

I cannot disagree with anything you have said in fairness. I guess my difficulty is reconciling the last two performances. I really do hope that Pivac has understood that he must select his best team for every game. The efforts of guys like Thomas, Lewis, Rowlands, Lydiate & Hardy should lead to continued selection. I would start both Johnny & Watkin ahead of Tompkins but he seems to be a Pivac favourite. I would also replace Tomos with Cawdor as he is a real attacking weapon off the bench against weary opposition. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 8:52am
Hardy had his best game in a while on the weekend, his kicking was pretty much spot on, he couldn't have placed some kicks any better if he tried. Like you, I hope that Pivac realises that he has to have a settled match day squad barring injuries & suspension. 

Now what we usually do, on a summer tour, is run the hosts close in the first match then we fall away badly in the subsequent 2 tests. So for me we need to keep it going, keep the same game plan but this time their back row are a lot bigger so that needs to be taken into account. 

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 8:54am
Does anyone think that maybe the boks underestimated us as Pivac did with Italy?
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 11:24am
Cawdor should def be on bench and think it could be the best thing for us and Wales going forward. He is far more likely to change a game with a bit of brilliance than Tomos Williams who is probably a steadier player but offers little as far as doing something that could change a game. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 12:42pm
Why did our kicking get more lax late on? We stopped kicking to compete, which wed done successfully for an hour or so...This backfired spectacularly as the boks ran at us and gained easy yards and the result was inevitable. 
sir duckling tuft
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

Why did our kicking get more lax late on? We stopped kicking to compete, which wed done successfully for an hour or so...This backfired spectacularly as the boks ran at us and gained easy yards and the result was inevitable. 

We changed scrum halves.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

I think it is a mix between poor kicking & playing at altitude which became harder as we played on.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Cawdor should def be on bench and think it could be the best thing for us and Wales going forward. He is far more likely to change a game with a bit of brilliance than Tomos Williams who is probably a steadier player but offers little as far as doing something that could change a game. 
Tomos Williams has X factor and can change a game with moments of brilliance. He’s a very good athlete but a lack of control and poor game management holds him back 

Edited by scarletnut - 07 July 2022 at 12:03am
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 6:15am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Tomos Williams has X factor and can change a game with moments of brilliance. He’s a very good athlete but a lack of control and poor game management holds him back 
I'm like that in golf steff the trouble is you have to be good over the 18 holes because 1 birdie isn't much good alongside 17 bogeys or double bogeys LOLLOL
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 7:08am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

he isn’t good enough to be a top test player  he will score the odd try or make a goid break but he makes too many mistakes at key moments be it missed tackles or kicking the ball away at silly times.  He will never get rid of these flaws in his game. This is not a great group of welsh 9s tbh

Edited by RR1972 - 07 July 2022 at 7:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic