Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Selection for Dragons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selection for Dragons
    Posted: 02 January 2022 at 10:51am
Obviously availability will continue to fluctuate with all the dangers surrounding our squad but I would like to see the following start next week bearing in mind we going into two rounds of Europe following this game ( fingers crossed ). 

15. Liam 14. Johnny 13. Foxy 12. Scott (C) 11. Rogers 10. Patchell 9. Blacker
1. Rob 2. Ryan 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Morgan Jones 6. Blade 7. Tomas 8. Sione

16. Daf 17. Wyn 18. WGJ 19. Tom Price 20. Shingler 21. Cawdor 22. Dan/Sam 23. Johnny Williams/Steff Hughes. 
Sponsored Links

Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Obviously availability will continue to fluctuate with all the dangers surrounding our squad but I would like to see the following start next week bearing in mind we going into two rounds of Europe following this game ( fingers crossed ). 

16. Daf 17. Wyn 18. WGJ 19. Tom Price 20. Shingler 21. Cawdor 22. Dan/Sam 23. Johnny Williams/Steff Hughes. 

Can't disagree much with that selection GPR, although I would commit the outrage of dropping Foxy. He has now had his day (and lots of them) and we have no shortage of talented centres who still have something to prove and the eagerness and commitment to do so. So if Johnny Williams is fit he would start, alongside Captain Scott, with Ioan Nicholas on the bench.
After yesterday, I might also prefer Hardy ahead of Cawdor and Costelow for Dan with Morgan Jones covering second row.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 12:02pm
Need to give everyone who hasn't played for ten weeks a game (if we can,) especially those that were in jail in Belfast for two weeks for no fault of their own.
If they were good enough to be selected to go to SA they should be considered good enough to represent us against the Dragons.
Keep the faith
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 12:31pm

You can’t have the club Captain not leading the team. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Even if it reduces the effectiveness of the team?
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 12:54pm
I wouldn’t drop Price or Lousi both looked good. Our front row got mullered though. Needs to be Wyn, Ken and WGJ if fit. Backrow also the same. Backs,Hardy and Costellow. Back three the same worked very well and centre i’d keep Scott and play Bleddyn 13 
coldith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 1:44pm
Any idea when Ken is due back?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I wouldn’t drop Price or Lousi both looked good. Our front row got mullered though. Needs to be Wyn, Ken and WGJ if fit. Backrow also the same. Backs,Hardy and Costellow. Back three the same worked very well and centre i’d keep Scott and play Bleddyn 13 

I can't say I noticed our front row getting mullered in all honesty. In fact there were a number of occasions I thought that the ref wrongly penalised us as the opposition tight head was guilty of not going straight. I have to admit that I am no expert on front row so I would be happy to be corrected.

Both Price & Louisi are selected but I thought it would be good to see Morgan Jones given a chance. I think Blacker has been playing the best at 9 for over a season so thats why I made that call. Patchell & Costelow are our two best 10's thats for sure playing Dwayne's game. As for centre I hear what Dai says above with regard to Foxy but we don't seem inclined to use Bleddyn at 13 so with Baldwin not fit I see Foxy as our best 13 certainly ahead of Steff & Tyler. Now maybe if they don't see Bleddyn as a 13 then we should go with Joe Roberts.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 2:29pm

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I can't say I noticed our front row getting mullered in all honesty. In fact there were a number of occasions I thought that the ref wrongly penalised us as the opposition tight head was guilty of not going straight. I have to admit that I am no expert on front row so I would be happy to be corrected.

Both Price & Louisi are selected but I thought it would be good to see Morgan Jones given a chance. I think Blacker has been playing the best at 9 for over a season so thats why I made that call. Patchell & Costelow are our two best 10's thats for sure playing Dwayne's game. As for centre I hear what Dai says above with regard to Foxy but we don't seem inclined to use Bleddyn at 13 so with Baldwin not fit I see Foxy as our best 13 certainly ahead of Steff & Tyler. Now maybe if they don't see Bleddyn as a 13 then we should go with Joe Roberts.

Following on from the above scrum debate I would be interested what Mr Lee91 made of our scrum. As for the pack weight showing 813 kgs for us that was nonsense. By my calculation that should have been 913 for the starting 8 losing a few kgs when Josh went off and also losing a few when Aaron replaced Tom. 
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Maybe we have the wrong captain ??

saundersfoot scarlets
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 3:16pm

Scrum was solid throughout... First two scrums Francis caved in.. When we had the nudge on at least three occasions, we got nothing, yet when they did a penalty every time. 

Young HOC at 21, a very impressive debut at tight head.. Samson to start Harri on bench. Wyn in for Rob, who took a knock, Shings to start, Tom Price our top tackler with 10,, only playing for 50 odd minutes. The tackle on Dan Evans superb. AOB vastly under used onto bench, with Patch and Hardy to start. Possibly a star for Rodgers or Conbeer at 11, Foxy to 13 and Iestyn Rees as back row cover..,Bleddyn and Costelow are still injured as I understand it. 

Edited by 157cb - 02 January 2022 at 3:18pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Scrum was solid throughout... First two scrums Francis caved in.. When we had the nudge on at least three occasions, we got nothing, yet when they did a penalty every time. 

Young HOC at 21, a very impressive debut at tight head.. Samson to start Harri on bench. Wyn in for Rob, who took a knock, Shings to start, Tom Price our top tackler with 10,, only playing for 50 odd minutes. The tackle on Dan Evans superb. AOB vastly under used onto bench, with Patch and Hardy to start. Possibly a star for Rodgers or Conbeer at 11, Foxy to 13 and Iestyn Rees as back row cover..,Bleddyn and Costelow are still injured as I understand it. 
Ospreys had the upper hand in the scrums Mark
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

JBR really has terrible injury luck doesn’t he? It’s rare to see more than a handful of matches from him.

Iestyn needs some experience, I think he’s got the makings of a good player, but he was quite poor in the Ospreys friendly, frequently took the wrong option to try and score rather than look for support. Hopefully Macleod isn’t out long.

Need a good scrum, can put pressure on the Dragons there.

Any idea when Roberts or Baldwin will be back? We really need a dedicated 13. I don’t think Morgan will stick around if we get those lads up to speed, Tyler just hasn’t kicked on as hoped.

Edited by Tony Clifton - 02 January 2022 at 4:00pm
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 4:02pm

European selection not as important I would think given what has been done to us already. We should 100% focus on our league.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Need to give everyone who hasn't played for ten weeks a game (if we can,) especially those that were in jail in Belfast for two weeks for no fault of their own.
If they were good enough to be selected to go to SA they should be considered good enough to represent us against the Dragons.

Tomorrow evening (17:30 ) Llanelli host RGC. Many of us have criticised the Scarlets this season for not sharing out their squad players more equitably among our 3 feeder sides, especially when it came to tight forwards. If there are one or two who are not going to be used against the Dragons then maybe they can be put on the bench for Llanelli. It could also be a chance for the Scarlets coaches to have a look at the big RGC prop and second row who have been highly praised on here (before the Ospreys or worse nab them)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2022 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

European selection not as important I would think given what has been done to us already. We should 100% focus on our league.
Why? There’s still every chance of qualifying in Europe and if not for the Champions Cup then for the Challenge Cup. Also more financial rewards in Europe 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic