Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early binding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early binding
    Posted: 11 July 2021 at 2:28pm
Yesterday (I think in the Lions game, or was it Wales?) I could clearly hear the ref telling players, near the opposition line, NOT to bind early on the ball carrier. This should be applied 100% and consistently, but it isn't.

Is there any chance at all the law-makers will put out a directive to that effect? Or was this an early example to show that such a directive has indeed been put out recently?

It's dangerous, and unfair, to ask one player to tackle two or even three opponents charging at the line, as we saw just a couple of weeks ago in another match. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2021 at 3:07pm
Spot on it needs to be reffed far more strictly 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 2:28pm
Just had some new Global law modifications sent through from the WRU, one thing they mention now is you can only have one 1 man latching onto the ball carrier & they must observe ALL the normal requirements of the first arriving player. Having 2 players latching onto the ball carrier is no longer allowed.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Just had some new Global law modifications sent through from the WRU, one thing they mention now is you can only have one 1 man latching onto the ball carrier & they must observe ALL the normal requirements of the first arriving player. Having 2 players latching onto the ball carrier is no longer allowed.

See separate thread I just started…sorry should have read this first..
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

See separate thread I just started…sorry should have read this first..

No need to apologise at all. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 12:31pm

Thanks - well, some good news there for player safety, I feel... can you please clarify - can a single player bind onto the ball carrier BEFORE contact with the tackler, or not? This seems to happen all the time with some refs (second Wales v Argentina test, for example), and I thought it was not allowed.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Thanks - well, some good news there for player safety, I feel... can you please clarify - can a single player bind onto the ball carrier BEFORE contact with the tackler, or not? This seems to happen all the time with some refs (second Wales v Argentina test, for example), and I thought it was not allowed.

Sorry Aber I didn't see this reply. Yes a player can latch on but they must then arrive on their feet. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 1:55pm

Sorry Aber I didn't see this reply. Yes a player can latch on but they must then arrive on their feet. 

Sorry, I still don't get it.

My opinion is that it is unfair - and dangerous - for two men bound together to run at a single tackler. So, to clarify my question - 

"Is it OK for a player to bind onto the ball carrier and run with him before contact?" If it is, it should be changed pronto, as far as I am concerned.

i remember a stuffing we had (in a semi, I think) at the Aviva a few years ago from Leinster - they did this all afternoon, and the ref allowed it.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 2:48pm

Sorry, I still don't get it.

My opinion is that it is unfair - and dangerous - for two men bound together to run at a single tackler. So, to clarify my question - 

"Is it OK for a player to bind onto the ball carrier and run with him before contact?" If it is, it should be changed pronto, as far as I am concerned.

i remember a stuffing we had (in a semi, I think) at the Aviva a few years ago from Leinster - they did this all afternoon, and the ref allowed it.

It is a dangerous law for me, hence why so many people go for the old chop tackle when they are defending close to their line. With a chop tackle, it will be very hard for the latcher to stay on their feet after contact so you may well see this style of play phased out a bit. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic