Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think about European unity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think about European unity?
    Posted: 26 April 2017 at 12:37pm
I voted for Remain last year, as I see the EU as a practical force for good across the Continent when it comes to legislation regarding the environment and workers' rights.  Nevertheless, what I don't buy into at all is the romantic notion of a single European people/nation that some advocate.  Europeans are too diverse linguistically, culturally, economically and even physiologically for that to be real.  
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:49pm
what do you think of crap topics on rugby forums?
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:56pm
Wales is a nation of villages who love to bicker and complain- that's enough of a social challenge without worrying about Europe. Wink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

I voted for Remain last year, as I see the EU as a practical force for good across the Continent when it comes to legislation regarding the environment and workers' rights.  Nevertheless, what I don't buy into at all is the romantic notion of a single European people/nation that some advocate.  Europeans are too diverse linguistically, culturally, economically and even physiologically for that to be real.  
Unlike us and the stranger danger posed by those foreigners called The Ospreys!  Wink
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

This topic is on the chat board, which is part of the social forum. So its not actually on a rugby forum.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:06pm
I consider myself Welsh first of all, then European not British which to me is far too closely connected to Imperialism, Colonialism and Empire.  I voted for Brexit because the EU has nothing to do with the splendid peoples of Europe but is an institution working for transnational corporations at the expense of Europeans. If they think open borders will drive down the price of labour and bring disunity to the working class then that is what they do and bugger what chaos it causes. The whole system is totally undemocratic with decisions reached on what's good for big business. The backlash among the working classes is only just beginning. And despite the fact that our "democracy" is far from perfect with so much of the information that we receive to make our decisions grossly doctored by the ruling class and their agents, it is still technically possible to put in a progressive government.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

This topic is on the chat board, which is part of the social forum. So its not actually on a rugby forum.
I stand corrected,still crap though.Wink
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I consider myself Welsh first of all, then European not British which to me is far too closely connected to Imperialism, Colonialism and Empire.  I voted for Brexit because the EU has nothing to do with the splendid peoples of Europe but is an institution working for transnational corporations at the expense of Europeans. If they think open borders will drive down the price of labour and bring disunity to the working class then that is what they do and bugger what chaos it causes. The whole system is totally undemocratic with decisions reached on what's good for big business. The backlash among the working classes is only just beginning. And despite the fact that our "democracy" is far from perfect with so much of the information that we receive to make our decisions grossly doctored by the ruling class and their agents, it is still technically possible to put in a progressive government.

Cannot totally agree with you on that one Ffidel which is unusual. I am certainly Welsh first but British 2nd. Britain's imperial past is nothing to do with me & I am certainly not going to apologise for it. I am only European as a result of where Wales sits geographically - end of. I have no more in common with the people of Serbia than with the people of New Zealand for instance.
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Cannot totally agree with you on that one Ffidel which is unusual. I am certainly Welsh first but British 2nd. Britain's imperial past is nothing to do with me & I am certainly not going to apologise for it. I am only European as a result of where Wales sits geographically - end of. I have no more in common with the people of Serbia than with the people of New Zealand for instance.

But you have more in common with the people of Serbia than with the people of Senegal, Syria, Bangladesh or Japan though.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 11:00pm
Wales was England's first colony and has every prospect of being its last, not far after Gibraltar and the Malvinas. These places and many more were not asked or persuaded to join the Empire but defeated in battle or threatened, blackmailed or tricked into serving the empire. Unfortunately, GPR,  Britain's imperial past has a hell of a lot to do with your present, including the language that we're writing in, our head of state and most importantly our economy and the foreign adventures our young people are sent to fight in.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 12:16am
I'm happy to be welsh first then british and european. BUT I am a happy brexitor too. A nation needs to be in charge of its own affairs or it will fold like a cheap deckchair aka poor old Greece, Italy etc etc In a microcosm Id say something similar about Llanelli's relationship with carmarthenshire council... A town this size should not be ruled by a town about 20 miles away, especially one thats one 6th its size, it's madness. 
The EU serves corporations at the expense of the masses...Incidentally I notice mr obama got paid $400,000 yesterday for a solitary wall street speech for an investment bank.....Hes also been offered a £65 million 2 book deal. Absolute madness and they wonder why joe public suspects politicians and corporations are getting too cosy?

Edited by roy munster - 27 April 2017 at 12:21am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 7:57am
[QUOTE=roy munster] I'm happy to be welsh first then british and european. BUT I am a happy brexitor too. A nation needs to be in charge of its own affairs or it will fold like a cheap deckchair aka poor old Greece, Italy etc etc In a microcosm Id say something similar about Llanelli's relationship with carmarthenshire council... A town this size should not be ruled by a town about 20 miles away, especially one thats one 6th its size, it's madness. 
The EU serves corporations at the expense of the masses...Incidentally I notice mr obama got paid $400,000 yesterday for a solitary wall street speech for an investment bank.....Hes also been offered a £65 million 2 book deal. Absolute madness and they wonder why joe public suspects politicians and corporations are getting too cosy?
[/QUOTE it is absurd money but then he was the first black President of the USA and with a top intellect writing of his experience and worth a lot to a publisher in book sales and then you see the money paid to some sportsmen for kicking a ball around or a David Beckham planning for his knighthood or a top golfer or American Footballer etc. So I can't get too outraged about Obama tbh.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:09am

Wales was England's first colony and has every prospect of being its last, not far after Gibraltar and the Malvinas. These places and many more were not asked or persuaded to join the Empire but defeated in battle or threatened, blackmailed or tricked into serving the empire. Unfortunately, GPR,  Britain's imperial past has a hell of a lot to do with your present, including the language that we're writing in, our head of state and most importantly our economy and the foreign adventures our young people are sent to fight in.

That may well be true Ffidel but you choose to be European over British because of our colonial conquering past as I read it. The very same Europeans - Spanish, Dutch, French & Portuguese who were fighting us every inch of the way to colonialise & conquer. I am proud to be Welsh & British & despite the litany of colonial injuries we have caused we also managed to achieve some good things. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:20am

Which, interestingly, is a mix of Germanic languages (inc. Norse), French, Celtic and Latin. Plus modern English will incorporate a lot of American English due to TV and the internet. This also says something, if you think about it. England, as Wales, is a country based upon multiple waves of invasion. In fact EVERYWHERE is - wars were prevalent. It's just Britain along with France, Spain, Portugal and Holland were naval powers and good at sticking flags into the ground around the world. However, I don't really see how current generations can be held accountable for things that happened hundreds of years ago. This doesn't mean bury it but accept the mistakes, learn from them and move on,* in my opinion, or we'll never get past old grudges - some of which are ridiculously old - which will never help anyone progress.

*Except humour. Where would we be without war jokes? Just ask ze Germans. And, ironically, we think they have no sense of humour!

Edited by dr_martinov - 27 April 2017 at 8:30am
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:23am
I am British I joined like many before me and after to serve and protect this country and its people. Within that I am proud to say Welsh. European doesn't enter the equation. As said before I have more in cimmin with Aussies and kiwis as we have fought together played rugby together and all in between. Europe we have fought against nearly all of them at some point, culturaly east and western europe are poles (no pun) apart. The french despite their european flag waving flout most european rules that dont suit them and are the biggest hypocrites who are all about france.Germany as ever financially dominant wagging the eurpean dog to its way. Like communism which although in utopia will be wonderful in reality will always collapse as the poor see the rich (some are more equal than others) and want it. And so does europe.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 9:45am
I have absolutely nothing against the English people. I went to university in London and worked there for 3 years before returning. It is their toxic, class based, deep state that I find repulsive - the same ruling class that used to think it ruled the world and now prefers to act as the poodle of those that replaced them in their quest for world domination. I would certainly not consider joining their armed forces as I know that they will be used to only to smash progressive movements and will happily defend the likes of vicious dictatorships like Saudi Arabia, and the latest joke from that clown Boris Johnson is that we can't trust Corbyn to defend the country (England?) because of his reluctance to use nuclear weapons!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic