Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What cup finals did you attend?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I remember watching the 85 final on tv.. In those days they only showed the second half live.

My mate chose not to come to Cardiff because he was certain we would lose. He ended up in town and watched the last 5 minutes through the shop window at radio rentals in the town centre. LOL
Scarlets before Wales
Sponsored Links

LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 8:22am
Ha ha. Radio Rentals that's back a bit
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 8:39am
84 final was the 1st i saw up in cardiff, watched nearly all of them after that. great days out even if the scarlets werent playing. just could never support neef or ponty (so when they played each other i supported the ref!)
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 9:25am
For me 1985, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1999, 2000 and 2003. Sadly missed the seventies ones as we we living in Southampton.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 9:55am
Saw all our finals. Felt like an annual day out.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I remember watching the 85 final on tv.. In those days they only showed the second half live.

My mate chose not to come to Cardiff because he was certain we would lose. He ended up in town and watched the last 5 minutes through the shop window at radio rentals in the town centre. LOL

if memory serves me right gareth davies dropped a late goal to put them ahead and pearce responded to give us the win?

157 must be able to verify my misty version of events?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

if memory serves me right gareth davies dropped a late goal to put them ahead and pearce responded to give us the win?

157 must be able to verify my misty version of events?

Yes spot on sir! A real nail biter .

As a 11 year old I remember going to the 1973 Final , all week the Cardiff press were saying they only had to turn up to secure the result . What a performance by the super Scarlets to secure a 30-7 victory .
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 11:15am
The 73 final we smashed Cardiff though David parry jones in the commentary was of the opinion that it was neck and neck till the end.
The 85 final we were written off totally.  Cardiff shouldn’t have had their tries - cordle bounced the ball and Alan Phillips was a mile forward. 
Zuma2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2020 at 5:04am
I went to them all. Great memories. 1985 sticks out for me. Gary Pearce's late drop goal and the heart stopping moment when Gareth Davies's last second drop shaded the outside of the post. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Zuma2 Zuma2 wrote:

I went to them all. Great memories. 1985 sticks out for me. Gary Pearce's late drop goal and the heart stopping moment when Gareth Davies's last second drop shaded the outside of the post. 

Yes, it was a horrible moment just when we thought it was ours.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

The 73 final we smashed Cardiff though David parry jones in the commentary was of the opinion that it was neck and neck till the end.
The 85 final we were written off totally.  Cardiff shouldn’t have had their tries - cordle bounced the ball and Alan Phillips was a mile forward. 

And for those of us on Facebook.
Scarlets before Wales
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2020 at 1:09pm
88, 89, 98 and 99.

88 was my first time at the National Stadium (I was 6) and one of my favourite games of all time. Ieuans try after kick ping pong and the reaction of the crowd made me fall in love with the game and the Scarlets.

99 was my first time at Ninian Park and probably my least favourite game of all time. Losing to the Jacks in the baking heat, sitting on uncomfortable wooden benches in a stadium which stank of pish was not an experience I ever want to repeat. Especially seen as we'd just battered Cardiff in the semi's!
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:22am
And Scott Gibbs "men against boys" comment.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:42am
I went to the 2003 cup final against Newport, I was 18 & went up with a group from my local who were all Newport fans. I was the only one of us supporting Llanelli in a group of 16, was a hell of a day!
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I went to the 2003 cup final against Newport, I was 18 & went up with a group from my local who were all Newport fans. I was the only one of us supporting Llanelli in a group of 16, was a hell of a day!

As I recall, that was quite a strange game. We struggled for any fluency  for most of the match and then made a couple of substitutions (Finau, Luke Gross.....) and ended up winning 32-9.

It was the last one before regionalisation so fitting that we won it!!

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

As I recall, that was quite a strange game. We struggled for any fluency  for most of the match and then made a couple of substitutions (Finau, Luke Gross.....) and ended up winning 32-9.

It was the last one before regionalisation so fitting that we won it!!

That's the one, the game wasn't the greatest but we still won! LOL

Percy Montgomery struck a huge Drop-Goal for Newport too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic