Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Ulster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:37pm
Full strength for this one, a win here will go a long way to securing the top 3 place in the conference. I read there will be a minutes silence for the 5th anniversary of the Spence family tragedy, it will be an emotional occasion so we'll need to be prepared for that.
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:44pm
A lot of calls to be made with niggling injuries and a few Lions coming back. I am happy to say I don't really care which way the calls go because with the quality involved it won't detract from the team either way.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:15pm
The best selection in Belfast for the first serious test of the season...Against Edinburgh at home, Pivac can use from the start players not completely fit like Foxy or Ken.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by InTheBath InTheBath wrote:

I've seen John Barclay wincing and favouring his shoulder after the latest dangerous clearout/big tackle on him since he's joined us. Hopefully he'll be fine.

He's a tough bugger that's for sure, but I do worry about how long he can keep going with his dodgy shoulder. Which does give some concern as to the depth of our back row as we already have one player carrying a serious ailment in Condy and Cubby already out. We need a further back row injury like we need a hole in the head I'd say.

We have Rawlins who can play 6 and Tom Phillips who is showing signs of progress for the RFC. But it ain't half going to put a burden on Wil, Shingler and Josh. Even if Barclay soldiers on he will be away with Scotland.

Aside of the boys mentioned above who else is there? Shaun Evans, is he ready?
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:56pm

I would be happy with Foxy and Ken on bench for Friday of course,a massive game this early in the season I feel.

Any news on Rawlins and Condy's fitness ??
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I'd go for-
15. Halfpenny
14, Mc Nicholl
13. Scott
12. Parkes
11. Steff
10. Patch
9.   Aled
8.  Barclay
7.  Boyde
6.  Aaron
5.  Beirne
4.  Ball
3. Samson
2. Ryan
1.  Rob
subs Ken, Wyn, Krugger, Bullbring, MacLeod, Cawdor, Asquith, Foxy.

Despite improvements in Cawdor's distribution I still think Aled is the best 9 to get the backs moving. Cawdor is a tremendous try-scoring replacement, with his power pace and acceleration against a tiring opposition. What better combination could you ask for?
Wouldn't even have Aled on the bench. Gareth to start and Evans on bench. I feel you're massively underestimating what Gareth brings.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:02pm
Aled is a more rounded scrum half than both Gareth and Johnathon and demonstrated it again on Saturday as well as on tour with Wales in the Summer.
Keep the faith
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:09pm
Cawdor keeps defences a little more honest and his passing has looked sharper this year. Aled does have a quicker service but is not a threat to run.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:35pm
Personally I would go for the same team that started against the Kings, but with Boyde in for Cubby.  Put Foxy and Ken on the bench, in place of Rhys Jones, and Emyr (and Mcloed on the bench cos Boyde is starting)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Personally I would go for the same team that started against the Kings, but with Boyde in for Cubby.  Put Foxy and Ken on the bench, in place of Rhys Jones, and Emyr (and Mcloed on the bench cos Boyde is starting)

A good choice apart from a couple of things - Rhys Jones at the moment is our back up 10/kicker. I think Asquith has played 10 before but not for us. Don't think we'll see Foxy until Edinburgh as he had the biggest work load of our Lions. 
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

A good choice apart from a couple of things - Rhys Jones at the moment is our back up 10/kicker. I think Asquith has played 10 before but not for us. Don't think we'll see Foxy until Edinburgh as he had the biggest work load of our Lions. 

Parkes was our back and 10 for the semi and final last season and did surprisingly well, so he'll do.

Edited by TheKing - 11 September 2017 at 4:32pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Cawdor keeps defences a little more honest and his passing has looked sharper this year. Aled does have a quicker service but is not a threat to run.

In the most general way, I'd agree with you - Cawdor is definitely more of a running threat. TBF to Aled, though, he did turn one game single-handedly last season (forget which), including a searing break. He also scored a good try on Sat. by running an intelligent support line - something the whole team has been developing under Stevo, by the look of things. 

We are very lucky indeed to have such strength in depth at 9 (with Jon Evans as well) - or maybe, that's planning and good recruitment and retention! Well done to the coaches and scouts.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:34pm
would like to see the same side as Zebra except Asquith in for Grabham
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

In the most general way, I'd agree with you - Cawdor is definitely more of a running threat. TBF to Aled, though, he did turn one game single-handedly last season (forget which), including a searing break. He also scored a good try on Sat. by running an intelligent support line - something the whole team has been developing under Stevo, by the look of things. 

We are very lucky indeed to have such strength in depth at 9 (with Jon Evans as well) - or maybe, that's planning and good recruitment and retention! Well done to the coaches and scouts.

It was the away league match in Munster.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

It was the away league match in Munster.

Thanks.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 5:11pm
Yeah, it was Munster, and I've got a soft spot for Aled but to be honest, at the moment I don't mind which 2 scrumhalves get into the 23 and feel sorry for the one that stays out, so little there is between all 3.

Speaking of which (and a bit out of topic, but) are any of them out of contract at the end of the season?

Edited by Exkixu - 11 September 2017 at 5:13pm
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic